Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
That defeat is down to Martin 16:57 - Aug 24 with 7321 viewsgrumpy

Clueless.
That defeat is down to Martin on 22:30 - Aug 24 with 1486 viewsChesham_Saint

That defeat is down to Martin on 17:03 - Aug 24 by Heisenberg

The defeat is down to the fact that we are simply not good enough for this league. We have one player in KWP that is Premier League level the rest are Championship players. Just accept it there is zero chance of this team staying up.

I thought Downes was pretty good today?

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

That defeat is down to Martin on 22:46 - Aug 24 with 1453 viewsDorsetIan

I thought we did OK today. Forest clearly have better players and they've also got the advantage of having played in the Premier League for a few seasons now.

So many of our players are stepping up to a new level and some, clearly, were finding things more difficult than last season just because they were up against stronger and quickly opponents so they didn't have as much time on the ball.

But we matched them and we lost by one goal and one error because, for me, Aribo should have got that ball out of the box.

And, yes, little threat up front but that might still come when the new players bed in a bit better.

We've lost two games 1-0 and on different days we might have had 6 points from these two matches. Maybe we'll get 6 points from the next two.

It's too early to panic or be too negative.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

That defeat is down to Martin on 22:58 - Aug 24 with 1416 viewsdirk_doone

That defeat is down to Martin on 17:42 - Aug 24 by SonicBoom

I didnt see it today but did we really have 65% possession and 5 shots whilst they had 23 shots?? Really?

In the first half we barely crossed the halfway line but we did a lot of short sideways and backwards passes to keep possession inside our own half. Meanwhile, Forest seemed more interested in trying to win the game. After 2 games, I expect that we are still top of the backwards passing league. Russell must be pretty excited about that and wondering if we can stay there. It seems strange to me seeing both teams attacking the same goal.

In the 2nd half when we got into the Forest penalty area a couple of times, the player with the ball in front of their goal either took it sideways or passed it out to the wing, presumably because a shot at goal would have counted as lost possession.
[Post edited 24 Aug 23:04]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

That defeat is down to Martin on 23:54 - Aug 24 with 1334 views10i

That defeat is down to Martin on 17:08 - Aug 24 by 1885_SFC

The team that were hopeless against 10-man Newcastle... was the exact same team picked today to somehow, magically, beat a resilient Nottingham Forest.

Meanwhile, there was a host of talent left on the bench today by RM who, surprisingly, decided to stick with the same old formula that failed miserably seven days earlier.

Why?

Why would you do that?

That Team hat pleeeeenty of possession, that is the reason...
Well, some of us had their Reservation reading that line up today, but ok, what really smells like madness is keeping that crap Team on after an incredibly shite first half. And then for another 20 minutes till NF surprisingly took the lead. Surprisingly for a Manager that must have thougt everything is fine till then...
Well... Two of the maybe 6 easiest games (because of the Red card) of the season gone with zero points. Some big change needed. Now.
[Post edited 25 Aug 0:04]
That defeat is down to Martin on 06:59 - Aug 25 with 1163 viewsCity_boy

The way the team was set today and the manner of the defeat was definitely down to Martin.

How he thinks he can play with his 2 front men, Armstrong and Diaz hugging the touch line is baffling at best ? There was massive gaps in the middle and no-one up front. We did very little to hurt Forest.

I heard one stat on the stream I watched, that Forest had over 35 touches in our penalty area, with only a 1/3 possession.

Much has been made of us needing a striker. I am not convinced any striker coming in will make a difference, the way the team is set up to play. He has to change and surely the stats he is so obsessed with, will tell him and his backroom team, it is not working.
[Post edited 25 Aug 7:00]
That defeat is down to Martin on 07:39 - Aug 25 with 1135 viewsBerber

That defeat is down to Martin on 17:59 - Aug 24 by Southamptonfan

That old chestnut. The manager who heroically got us up isn't good enough for the PL. All 3 promoted sides from last season went straight back down. Ipswich have also lost both games. Vincent Konpany wasn't good enough for Burnley last season. He's now manager of one of the biggest clubs in the world. Ralph wasn't good enough, Seles wasn't good enough, Jones wasn't good enough. Could it not just be that we don't sign enough of the real quality you need in this league? Swapping the manager won't make any difference. We need a 50 million pound striker that wins you games, that's what we need.

It was not possible to discern what the team were trying to do. The whole game they looked like a team trying to keep the score down in an inevitable relegation scrap.Everything NF did was quick, positive and forward moving. I didn’t see any of that from us. Our midfield was AWOL.

Even Burnley looked like they had a plan, even if they weren’t good enough to carry it off.

Poll: How many wins this season sweepstake

That defeat is down to Martin on 08:14 - Aug 25 with 1093 viewskernow

That defeat is down to Martin on 22:46 - Aug 24 by DorsetIan

I thought we did OK today. Forest clearly have better players and they've also got the advantage of having played in the Premier League for a few seasons now.

So many of our players are stepping up to a new level and some, clearly, were finding things more difficult than last season just because they were up against stronger and quickly opponents so they didn't have as much time on the ball.

But we matched them and we lost by one goal and one error because, for me, Aribo should have got that ball out of the box.

And, yes, little threat up front but that might still come when the new players bed in a bit better.

We've lost two games 1-0 and on different days we might have had 6 points from these two matches. Maybe we'll get 6 points from the next two.

It's too early to panic or be too negative.

Love a bit of positivity and optimism.
Despite all accounts with 2 straight defeats and no goals scored, there are still three teams worse off.
That defeat is down to Martin on 09:40 - Aug 25 with 991 viewsChesham_Saint

That old chestnut. The manager who heroically got us up isn't good enough for the PL. All 3 promoted sides from last season went straight back down. Ipswich have also lost both games. Vincent Konpany wasn't good enough for Burnley last season. He's now manager of one of the biggest clubs in the world. Ralph wasn't good enough, Seles wasn't good enough, Jones wasn't good enough. Could it not just be that we don't sign enough of the real quality you need in this league? Swapping the manager won't make any difference. We need a 50 million pound striker that wins you games, that's what we need.

Answer me this, Southamptonfan. Did we sign Diaz as a winger? Is that his normal role? If not, why was he played on the wing? He tried hard all game with the thankless task of crossing the ball into the box for…..no-one.

Fans don’t mind when the team tries and creates chances, but they do bloody mind when they see moronic tactics like that. If Rylan stubbornly perseveres with such a naive strategy then he’ll be a dead man walking before Christmas,,,,

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Login to get fewer ads

That defeat is down to Martin on 09:53 - Aug 25 with 965 viewsTripleNiemi

What difference is a £50 million pound striker gonna make when we spend most of the game pïssing around with the ball at the back?

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

That defeat is down to Martin on 10:20 - Aug 25 with 927 viewsDorsetIan

That defeat is down to Martin on 09:53 - Aug 25 by TripleNiemi

What difference is a £50 million pound striker gonna make when we spend most of the game pïssing around with the ball at the back?

I agree.

I think the issue is getting the ball into dangerous areas more often and that’s down to the wingers and midfield.

On that Dibbling impressed and Edozie didn’t. But there aren’t going to be any magic wands. We need to be patient and we’re going to lose a lot of games this season whatever happens.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

That defeat is down to Martin on 10:49 - Aug 25 with 883 viewsMytchettSaint

That defeat is down to Martin on 10:20 - Aug 25 by DorsetIan

I agree.

I think the issue is getting the ball into dangerous areas more often and that’s down to the wingers and midfield.

On that Dibbling impressed and Edozie didn’t. But there aren’t going to be any magic wands. We need to be patient and we’re going to lose a lot of games this season whatever happens.

I think even the most optimistic of fans realises we’re going to lose a lot of games this season, it’s just I’d rather we had a go at teams like Forest and lose than play the way we played yesterday and still lose.

Fair play to Forest, they’ll be fine this season. A strong team that knows when to go for it and when to defend.

Forza Rossobianco

That defeat is down to Martin on 11:44 - Aug 25 with 847 viewsUmPahars

That defeat is down to Martin on 06:59 - Aug 25 by City_boy

The way the team was set today and the manner of the defeat was definitely down to Martin.

How he thinks he can play with his 2 front men, Armstrong and Diaz hugging the touch line is baffling at best ? There was massive gaps in the middle and no-one up front. We did very little to hurt Forest.

I heard one stat on the stream I watched, that Forest had over 35 touches in our penalty area, with only a 1/3 possession.

Much has been made of us needing a striker. I am not convinced any striker coming in will make a difference, the way the team is set up to play. He has to change and surely the stats he is so obsessed with, will tell him and his backroom team, it is not working.
[Post edited 25 Aug 7:00]

The massive gaps in the middle was down to playing 5 at the back, meaning we sacrificed a midfielder.

Downes tried his best, whilst Smalbone was out of his depth. The forwards couldn’t help as they were being told to hug the touchlines.

It was obvious to everyone around us, but RM persevered!!!!
That defeat is down to Martin on 11:55 - Aug 25 with 839 viewsUTS1885

The formation didnt work and wasnt changed until it was too late.

So, that has to be down to Martin.
That defeat is down to Martin on 12:44 - Aug 25 with 791 viewsTripleNiemi

That defeat is down to Martin on 10:49 - Aug 25 by MytchettSaint

I think even the most optimistic of fans realises we’re going to lose a lot of games this season, it’s just I’d rather we had a go at teams like Forest and lose than play the way we played yesterday and still lose.

Fair play to Forest, they’ll be fine this season. A strong team that knows when to go for it and when to defend.

Sums things up nicely.

A different manager and tactics I feel (appreciate only my opinion) might just make things a bit more bearable. I always remember Hoddle coming and and getting us to play some decent football with a bunch of players that might not have been the best.

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

That defeat is down to Martin on 14:33 - Aug 25 with 720 viewsSouthamptonfan

That defeat is down to Martin on 09:40 - Aug 25 by Chesham_Saint

Answer me this, Southamptonfan. Did we sign Diaz as a winger? Is that his normal role? If not, why was he played on the wing? He tried hard all game with the thankless task of crossing the ball into the box for…..no-one.

Fans don’t mind when the team tries and creates chances, but they do bloody mind when they see moronic tactics like that. If Rylan stubbornly perseveres with such a naive strategy then he’ll be a dead man walking before Christmas,,,,

I have seen all these arguments ten times over, year after year, in what has and is always a struggle in the PL (apart from when we had world.class players like van Dyke and Mane). Yes Diaz might be better up front, but same with Adams, if you miss headers from 4 yards out, like he did at Newcastle and Adams did the year we went down, it makes little difference. We just lack the real quality you need.

I remember the Puel arguments, when we kept it tight defensively, scored very few goals and everyone called for more attacking play. That then left gaps with only four at the back and we Pellegrino's team was torn to shreds after Puel had left as we went too attacking. Hughes went with 4 4 2 and we just conceded lots of goals, had a lot more chances but still missed as the strikers weren't good enough.

All I know is that we have been here before. Ralph out Ralph out. Nothing changed, apart from.things getting much worse. We will struggle regardless, because the PL is a cesspit. We are playing teams with much more expensive and more talented players, just like the promoted sides found out last season. Everton with little money is finding it this year with no money. It won't change.

Our owners would only appoint another passing possession based coach from the Swiss 2nd division or the like. Top managers with little money won't come here, as we found out when everyone said sack Ralph. History should teach us something here. If we want real change, a more ambitious approach, call for a change in ownership.

And last year, the West Brom game, the Wembley celebrations were the best times as a Saints fan for many a year. After two games, we can't show just a bit of patience for a manager that brought such happiness last season?
[Post edited 25 Aug 14:47]

Poll: Who are you voting for?

That defeat is down to Martin on 16:08 - Aug 25 with 650 viewsIfonly

That defeat is down to Martin on 14:33 - Aug 25 by Southamptonfan

I have seen all these arguments ten times over, year after year, in what has and is always a struggle in the PL (apart from when we had world.class players like van Dyke and Mane). Yes Diaz might be better up front, but same with Adams, if you miss headers from 4 yards out, like he did at Newcastle and Adams did the year we went down, it makes little difference. We just lack the real quality you need.

I remember the Puel arguments, when we kept it tight defensively, scored very few goals and everyone called for more attacking play. That then left gaps with only four at the back and we Pellegrino's team was torn to shreds after Puel had left as we went too attacking. Hughes went with 4 4 2 and we just conceded lots of goals, had a lot more chances but still missed as the strikers weren't good enough.

All I know is that we have been here before. Ralph out Ralph out. Nothing changed, apart from.things getting much worse. We will struggle regardless, because the PL is a cesspit. We are playing teams with much more expensive and more talented players, just like the promoted sides found out last season. Everton with little money is finding it this year with no money. It won't change.

Our owners would only appoint another passing possession based coach from the Swiss 2nd division or the like. Top managers with little money won't come here, as we found out when everyone said sack Ralph. History should teach us something here. If we want real change, a more ambitious approach, call for a change in ownership.

And last year, the West Brom game, the Wembley celebrations were the best times as a Saints fan for many a year. After two games, we can't show just a bit of patience for a manager that brought such happiness last season?
[Post edited 25 Aug 14:47]

Southamptonfan, I agree with a lot of what you've said in your posts, we will struggle anyway because the club has been badly managed for several years. But:

1) I've been saying here for a year that I think possession is badly suited to us long term, so RM is badly suited to us long term.

2) In my view, the sooner this is realised by the club, the better. But it is unrealistic to expect them to do anything about it until, at least, January. Personally, I think we will go down with RM still in charge and he'll be leading us in the Championship next year.

3) There is no reason why we shouldn't compete in the PL long term. We have every right to compete with the likes of Bournemouth, Palace, Fulham, Wolves, Forest, Leicester etc. etc. There is no reason why our players should be less effective than their players.

4) But, we will only do this sustainably with a model that works for us as a smallish club, not one that is trying to copy Man City. It may take some yo-yo years before we end up on the right track by trial and error, and as you say, maybe that will be under new ownership.

5) We don't need a "top" manager. We just need one who is smart enough to know how to play in a top European League on a budget. I'm sure that we could have brought in the likes of Iraola, Glasner or Hurzeler before they took their current roles. There will always be others out there.
That defeat is down to Martin on 16:45 - Aug 25 with 598 viewsSouthamptonfan

That defeat is down to Martin on 16:08 - Aug 25 by Ifonly

Southamptonfan, I agree with a lot of what you've said in your posts, we will struggle anyway because the club has been badly managed for several years. But:

1) I've been saying here for a year that I think possession is badly suited to us long term, so RM is badly suited to us long term.

2) In my view, the sooner this is realised by the club, the better. But it is unrealistic to expect them to do anything about it until, at least, January. Personally, I think we will go down with RM still in charge and he'll be leading us in the Championship next year.

3) There is no reason why we shouldn't compete in the PL long term. We have every right to compete with the likes of Bournemouth, Palace, Fulham, Wolves, Forest, Leicester etc. etc. There is no reason why our players should be less effective than their players.

4) But, we will only do this sustainably with a model that works for us as a smallish club, not one that is trying to copy Man City. It may take some yo-yo years before we end up on the right track by trial and error, and as you say, maybe that will be under new ownership.

5) We don't need a "top" manager. We just need one who is smart enough to know how to play in a top European League on a budget. I'm sure that we could have brought in the likes of Iraola, Glasner or Hurzeler before they took their current roles. There will always be others out there.

I understand your points, but it still ultimately comes down to the owners. They want possession based football and appointed RM because thats what they want. In relation to point 3, which I think is the key point, under these owners who just want to make a profit with 20 year olds for the future, a Bournemouth, Fulham style requires spending more money on 2 or 3 quality players rather than less money on 10 very average players. This would only happen if we changed our owners, not the manager. We spend a total of what 80 million on 10.players and if just 2 get good, our owners make a profit, when they are sold for say 50 million each. If we buy one player for 40 million, that will only depreciate in value, our owners don't make any profit. Those clubs have owners who love the club, not the profit.

Fulham spent 30 million on Emile Smith Rowe, a proven, established experienced player. He scored the winner yesterday. His value will just go down from here on in as he gets older. They spend 30 million plus on Anderson, again an established PL player, proven and experienced. Bournemouth replaced Solanke with a 40 million pound signing. They signed a midfielder for 25 million. Forest have spent hundreds of millions. Palace have Zaha, Guey etc, they are quality players. They spent 30 million on a striker from Celtic, again we wanted him but couldn't afford him. Wolves have just got beat 6 2. They will struggle this year. Everton will struggle as they havent invested in their team despite having a "good" manager. It's all to do with money, and very little to do.witj anything else. The Celtic guy RM wanted, will end up at Brighton for about 30 million, a player that RM wants but is told no. Then we will say how do Brighton do it? They sign quality players, not world class but very good players. Every manager that goes there does relatively well because they invest in proven quality players, with a supportive owner Bloom.who.supports the club.

My point is, whilst we have the same owners, who want possession football, who won't spend more than 15 million on one player, who want a possession based manager, who won't support the manager with the resources he needs, every other point about tactics and the rest of it is completely pointless. Whilst these owners are here, nothing will change. If RM went, Ankerson (who is still around) and Co would just appoint someone even worse amd buy another carillo in January to "help him".

We just don't have a match winner. Every team needs a Le Tissier, a Lambert, a Pelle, a Kane, a Salah, a Solanke, etc we just don't have anyone of any quality. That's why we will seriously struggle this year
[Post edited 25 Aug 16:56]

That defeat is down to Martin on 16:50 - Aug 25 with 578 viewsUlsterBaz

That defeat is down to Martin on 16:45 - Aug 25 by Southamptonfan

I understand your points, but it still ultimately comes down to the owners. They want possession based football and appointed RM because thats what they want. In relation to point 3, which I think is the key point, under these owners who just want to make a profit with 20 year olds for the future, a Bournemouth, Fulham style requires spending more money on 2 or 3 quality players rather than less money on 10 very average players. This would only happen if we changed our owners, not the manager. We spend a total of what 80 million on 10.players and if just 2 get good, our owners make a profit, when they are sold for say 50 million each. If we buy one player for 40 million, that will only depreciate in value, our owners don't make any profit. Those clubs have owners who love the club, not the profit.

Fulham spent 30 million on Emile Smith Rowe, a proven, established experienced player. He scored the winner yesterday. His value will just go down from here on in as he gets older. They spend 30 million plus on Anderson, again an established PL player, proven and experienced. Bournemouth replaced Solanke with a 40 million pound signing. They signed a midfielder for 25 million. Forest have spent hundreds of millions. Palace have Zaha, Guey etc, they are quality players. They spent 30 million on a striker from Celtic, again we wanted him but couldn't afford him. Wolves have just got beat 6 2. They will struggle this year. Everton will struggle as they havent invested in their team despite having a "good" manager. It's all to do with money, and very little to do.witj anything else. The Celtic guy RM wanted, will end up at Brighton for about 30 million, a player that RM wants but is told no. Then we will say how do Brighton do it? They sign quality players, not world class but very good players. Every manager that goes there does relatively well because they invest in proven quality players, with a supportive owner Bloom.who.supports the club.

My point is, whilst we have the same owners, who want possession football, who won't spend more than 15 million on one player, who want a possession based manager, who won't support the manager with the resources he needs, every other point about tactics and the rest of it is completely pointless. Whilst these owners are here, nothing will change. If RM went, Ankerson (who is still around) and Co would just appoint someone even worse amd buy another carillo in January to "help him".

We just don't have a match winner. Every team needs a Le Tissier, a Lambert, a Pelle, a Kane, a Salah, a Solanke, etc we just don't have anyone of any quality. That's why we will seriously struggle this year

100% correct.
That defeat is down to Martin on 16:55 - Aug 25 with 561 viewscocklebreath

That defeat is down to Martin on 16:45 - Aug 25 by Southamptonfan

If the owner’s are desperate for possession based football could you please explain why we went for Nathan Jones?

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

That defeat is down to Martin on 16:56 - Aug 25 with 563 viewskingolaf

Does anyone seriously think Dragan wants us to play possession based football at the expense of results.

Not a chance, Martin will be gone by October.
That defeat is down to Martin on 17:03 - Aug 25 with 553 viewsSouthamptonfan

That defeat is down to Martin on 16:55 - Aug 25 by cocklebreath

If the owner’s are desperate for possession based football could you please explain why we went for Nathan Jones?

Not sure, but it was very clear that they knew that RM was all about possession. Wilcox and RM were both appointed to implement possession based football. But it doesn't matter how we play. If we invest properly in quality players, you likely do better regardless.
[Post edited 25 Aug 17:04]

That defeat is down to Martin on 17:05 - Aug 25 with 548 viewscocklebreath

That defeat is down to Martin on 17:03 - Aug 25 by Southamptonfan

Not sure, but it was very clear that they knew that RM was all about possession. Wilcox and RM were both appointed to implement possession based football. But it doesn't matter how we play. If we invest properly in quality players, you likely do better regardless.
[Post edited 25 Aug 17:04]

But it’s not always been that way, they could easily decide to change it again now Wilcox has gone, if we continue to play as bad as yesterday I reckon Russell’s got 5/6 games.

That defeat is down to Martin on 17:06 - Aug 25 with 550 viewsSouthamptonfan

That defeat is down to Martin on 16:56 - Aug 25 by kingolaf

Does anyone seriously think Dragan wants us to play possession based football at the expense of results.

Not a chance, Martin will be gone by October.

Bit like Ralph was gone by October. We did change style and we got even worse. Ultimately, as was then and is now, the team was rubbish for this level.

That defeat is down to Martin on 17:08 - Aug 25 with 547 viewsSouthamptonfan

That defeat is down to Martin on 17:05 - Aug 25 by cocklebreath

But it’s not always been that way, they could easily decide to change it again now Wilcox has gone, if we continue to play as bad as yesterday I reckon Russell’s got 5/6 games.

And what will be our answer? Another up and coming manager from a club like Luton? We won't attract anyone of real quality. They would want money to spend on the team and ambition. Again, back to the owners.

That defeat is down to Martin on 18:32 - Aug 25 with 507 viewscocklebreath

That defeat is down to Martin on 17:08 - Aug 25 by Southamptonfan

And what will be our answer? Another up and coming manager from a club like Luton? We won't attract anyone of real quality. They would want money to spend on the team and ambition. Again, back to the owners.

If we offer a good manager good money they will come, relegation is expected so won’t hurt their career and they’ll be loaded.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024