Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Swans players killed in The Great War 22:58 - Sep 7 with 18689 viewsWitneyjack

I know I have probably left it too late but I am travelling to Ypres on Friday with three friends on another war graves visit. I've tried a couple of Professor Farmer's books but have been unable to find the names of any Swansea Town players or staff killed during the First World War. I thought that if any were buried in Flanders I could include it in our itinerary and lay a wreath etc.
If anybody has any info or knowledge, I would appreciate their help.

Thanks.
Swans players killed in The Great War on 20:38 - Sep 8 with 4073 viewsWitneyjack

Swans players killed in The Great War on 20:35 - Sep 8 by Phil_S

OK let me head off and make enquiries I would like to think this is not something for an appeal

I didn't think so either but I didn't like to suggest it.......
Swans players killed in The Great War on 21:53 - Sep 8 with 4004 viewsLohengrin

Swans players killed in The Great War on 20:31 - Sep 8 by morningstar

James Collins! When you see some players who have made it to the Swansea City hall of fame? Absolutely WOW WOW WOW! One of the best reads on here in years!

Now that's a man. How many of us had heard of him until today? His name has to go on the wall, there's no two ways about it. If the purpose of the Hall/Wall of Fame is to acknowledge endeavour and to inspire future generations could there be a better candidate?

The award of The Albert Medal on The Western Front was extremely rare indeed, the criteria being set so high. You would have to be a pretty extraordinary man to have sported that ribbon on your breast. He was... and he was one of our own.

[Post edited 8 Sep 2014 21:58]

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Swans players killed in The Great War on 22:13 - Sep 8 with 3966 viewsmarchamjack

Just finished reaing here. Incredible stories. Beyond belief really, but true. A memorial of some sort MUST be put in place at the stadium. These men cannot be overlooked any longer now it is getting some air here. I would be happiest if it was the Trust that funded it too. It would be right somehow.

Oh,..Dave, what's occuring?

Swans players killed in The Great War on 22:25 - Sep 8 with 3958 viewsCurcubita_Ultra

Great thread this. It's what this messageboard should be about. Puts all the bickering in perspective.
Swans players killed in The Great War on 22:31 - Sep 8 with 3946 viewsmorningstar

Swans players killed in The Great War on 21:53 - Sep 8 by Lohengrin

Now that's a man. How many of us had heard of him until today? His name has to go on the wall, there's no two ways about it. If the purpose of the Hall/Wall of Fame is to acknowledge endeavour and to inspire future generations could there be a better candidate?

The award of The Albert Medal on The Western Front was extremely rare indeed, the criteria being set so high. You would have to be a pretty extraordinary man to have sported that ribbon on your breast. He was... and he was one of our own.

[Post edited 8 Sep 2014 21:58]

If his medal is going up for auction on Thursday then we have a duty to purchase it! A truly amazing story which had me chocked. Even my wife was shocked by my reaction as I tried to read it out to her.

Only winner of Planetswans Petulant Diva award.
Poll: Southampton home next. How many points

Swans players killed in The Great War on 22:42 - Sep 8 with 3929 viewsWitneyjack

Swans players killed in The Great War on 22:31 - Sep 8 by morningstar

If his medal is going up for auction on Thursday then we have a duty to purchase it! A truly amazing story which had me chocked. Even my wife was shocked by my reaction as I tried to read it out to her.

That's an old article, the medal was sold earlier in the Year for 22,000 pounds to a private collector.
[Post edited 8 Sep 2014 22:43]
Swans players killed in The Great War on 22:50 - Sep 8 with 3914 viewsmorningstar

Swans players killed in The Great War on 22:42 - Sep 8 by Witneyjack

That's an old article, the medal was sold earlier in the Year for 22,000 pounds to a private collector.
[Post edited 8 Sep 2014 22:43]

Ok wits, I didn't realise it was old, but either way this guy needs to be inducted into the hall of fame as soon as. He is a legend in the true sense of the word.

Only winner of Planetswans Petulant Diva award.
Poll: Southampton home next. How many points

Swans players killed in The Great War on 02:28 - Sep 9 with 3858 viewsWitneyjack

Swans players killed in The Great War on 22:50 - Sep 8 by morningstar

Ok wits, I didn't realise it was old, but either way this guy needs to be inducted into the hall of fame as soon as. He is a legend in the true sense of the word.

Totally agree.
Login to get fewer ads

Swans players killed in The Great War on 08:26 - Sep 9 with 3796 viewsgiantstoneater

Don't know if this is any help but does the Imperial war museum have records on memorials/plaques dedicated to those who lost their lives or the war graves commission perhaps, they may be able to help locating the original plaque which was at The Vetch. A side note for those heading up to the Man city game the IWM(N) museum in Manchester is well worth a visit but don't take your wife or kids or your visit will be a lot shorter!
Swans players killed in The Great War on 10:27 - Sep 9 with 3758 viewsCurcubita_Ultra

What would be great is if the Club could put this story and maybe loan the medal on display somewhere ahead of Rememberance Sunday where it would be seen and read by fans as a fitting tribute - club shop maybe...? A poppy donation box ?

Might go someway to saving a bit of face for those who did nothing to mark the 100th anniversary of WW1....

If anyone has the ear of those that can make this happen...
[Post edited 9 Sep 2014 10:28]
Swans players killed in The Great War on 14:18 - Sep 9 with 3669 viewsthejack1912

I'm sure there would plenty of supporters who'd be will to donate a small amount to fund a memorial at the stadium for these extraordinary men.

Is there somehow we could raise the money in time before the end of the season and get clearance from the club?
[Post edited 9 Sep 2014 14:19]

Poll: After making over 300 Apperences is Rangel a Swansea Legend?

Swans players killed in The Great War on 14:38 - Sep 9 with 3648 viewsLiberty

I knew I remembered reading an article about James Collins.

Amazing stuff.

http://www.southwales-eveningpost.co.uk/Medal-awarded-Swansea-Town-legend-foot-g

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/war-hero-footballer-who-stepped-700
[Post edited 9 Sep 2014 14:46]

Poll: League 2 Mod , Darr, but we are now in Prem - time for a change ?

Swans players killed in The Great War on 14:59 - Sep 9 with 3631 viewsLiberty

Interesting article

http://scfcheritage.wordpress.com/from-the-archive-2/memorabilia/swansea-town-at

Swans players killed in The Great War on 18:33 - Sep 9 with 3562 viewsScoobyWho

See how a positive OP can have such a positive affect on the forum ?
Very interesting and heart warming too.
Brilliant. This is why fans forums like this were started.
[Post edited 9 Sep 2014 18:41]

DGT Bullshit Connoisseur.
Poll: Election 2015 Thread : Who will you vote for ?

Swans players killed in The Great War on 19:52 - Sep 9 with 3526 viewstomdickharry

Understand the Trust were not interested in the auction for the medal would have been a fantastic acquisition.
Swans players killed in The Great War on 09:10 - Sep 10 with 3255 viewswhiterock

One of the best stories

BENJAMIN BEYNON
The former steel worker signed for the Swans in November 1914 after impressing the club during a Welsh League game against Mardy.
Beynon was signed as an amateur and, up until the First World War, played rugby union for the Swansea Whites until the oval ball game was suspended due to the conflict. Football, however, continued and Beynon played a major role in one of the greatest FA Cup shocks in history.
The Swans, then in the Second Division of the Southern League, were drawn against First Division and reigning Football League champions Blackburn, in the first round.
The visitors boasted a host of players with international experience, while the Swans were a team of largely inexperienced players. However, the home side went on to win 1-0 with Beynon netting the decisive goal.
After serving in the war, he scored a hat-trick for the Swans on his Football League debut against Norwich in a 5-2 win, before re-joining the Whites and winning his first international cap for Wales against England in January 1920 at St Helen’s.
However, despite earning a second cap against Scotland shortly after, Beynon lost his place in the Wales side and returned to action with Swansea before being released in 1922.
He then earned a move to rugby league side Oldham after once again impressing on trial, and carved his name into Challenge Cup history with two tries against Hull KR in the 1925 final.
He later returned to the Swans in 1926 to play one final season as a part-timer at the Vetch, before later revealing that it was in fact rugby, not football, which was his first love.
Swans players killed in The Great War on 14:15 - Sep 11 with 2994 viewstrampie

There maybe some issues over records and the like, the Welsh were said to be never really fully trusted by the English lead British Army at one time, a purely Welsh regiment was not allowed until late in the day, Welsh ministers were banned from being military chaplains at one time, they would have all sorts of fairly alien religious types to these islands in the Army as Chaplains but not Welsh non-conformist ministers apparently.

There should be recognition by the club for the boys that fought and died in the war.
[Post edited 11 Sep 2014 14:17]

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Swans players killed in The Great War on 07:13 - Sep 12 with 2872 viewsPhil_S

OK, a few more things from me as we progress things slowly (quickly)

Firstly, a thanks to Colin Jones for the information provided earlier in this thread - a huge help

Secondly, we (Swans Trust) have opened talks with the stadium about the plaque referred to here and I think we will be able to progress this very quickly. We play Arsenal at home on 9 November and this would be our target date for the memorial plaque. Location to be decided but again it should be at a location that everyone can enjoy and respect rather than just say the reception area of the stadium where just a few % of our fans actually go. Watch this space for more details on all
Swans players killed in The Great War on 11:44 - Sep 12 with 2811 viewstomdickharry

Swans players killed in The Great War on 07:13 - Sep 12 by Phil_S

Firstly, a thanks to Colin Jones for the information provided earlier in this thread - a huge help

Secondly, we (Swans Trust) have opened talks with the stadium about the plaque referred to here and I think we will be able to progress this very quickly. We play Arsenal at home on 9 November and this would be our target date for the memorial plaque. Location to be decided but again it should be at a location that everyone can enjoy and respect rather than just say the reception area of the stadium where just a few % of our fans actually go. Watch this space for more details on all

This will be brilliant Phil.
Great guy Colin Jones a true Jack who knows the history of the Swans inside out.
Swans players killed in The Great War on 16:48 - Sep 12 with 2761 viewsLohengrin

Swans players killed in The Great War on 07:13 - Sep 12 by Phil_S

Spot on, Phil. It needs to be accessible to everybody.

Swans players killed in The Great War on 19:53 - Sep 12 with 2709 viewsWitneyjack

Swans players killed in The Great War on 16:48 - Sep 12 by Lohengrin

Spot on, Phil. It needs to be accessible to everybody.

Excellent news Phil! Let me know when the unveiling will be and I will do my best to get back for it.

I am currently drinking a bottle of Jupiler in Ypres. I have today managed to get some photos of Joe Bulcock' s grave at Haringhe Cemetery earlier today. I will be getting photos of E T Mitchell's headstone tomorrow at Bethune.

The club are welcome to the pictures when I get back!!
Swans players killed in The Great War on 00:25 - Sep 13 with 2644 viewsLiberty

Will the plaque show any other players who have been killed in subsequent wars ?

Do the players have to have been currently under contract to Swans when killed, I am sure an ex Swans player was killed in WW2.

Swans players killed in The Great War on 00:27 - Sep 13 with 2643 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

This would be an excellent idea. Well done to everyone involved.

Poll: Should MP for Swansea East Carolyn Harris resign?

Swans players killed in The Great War on 07:26 - Sep 13 with 2594 viewsLohengrin

Swans players killed in The Great War on 00:25 - Sep 13 by Liberty

Will the plaque show any other players who have been killed in subsequent wars ?

Do the players have to have been currently under contract to Swans when killed, I am sure an ex Swans player was killed in WW2.

Haydn Dackins, killed in action in 1943. He is buried in Catania War Cemetery, Sicily.

Swans players killed in The Great War on 10:17 - Sep 16 with 2540 viewsWitneyjack

Am just back from my trip and am pleased to say I managed to visit Mitchell and Bulcock's graves and leave a small posie of poppies at each. I have taken a number of photos of each (see my avatar) and will contact Phil direct on who to send them to and how we move this idea forward.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024