Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Manager, the DoF and the Board 10:34 - Feb 17 with 8947 viewsAntti_Heinola

I see the socials (which I've now almost abandoned - someone texted me some screengrabs) are spamming QPR posts calling for the manager, the DoF and the Board to go.

Interested to get opinions on all three here.

Manager: I think Critchley, if given the job at the start of last summer, with no pressure, able to bring in his own players etc, probably would have been fine. But mid-season at a club with higher expectations than Blackpool, is a different proposition. He seems unable to change direction and as the weeks go by his tactics look more confused, the players look more confused and are clearly either terrified or can't be bothered or both. When we looked at Cifuentes, Clive said the release clause precluded us from taking him. Well, if he was first choice (I don't think he was) but they went for second choice then it's turned out to be a false economy.

I don't buy into Dave Mc's theory that a QPR manager needs to be a big personality. - but I do think as a manager generally you need an infectious personality. As a coach, there probably isn't much between Critch and Beale, but Beale, putting aside personal feelings, has that ability to lead and inspire. I have no confidence now that Critchley has that and I think he has max three games to save his job (we'll lose tomorrow and v Blackburn, and if he hasn't gone then, I can't see how he clings on if we lose at Rotherham).

DoF: IMO, the direction Les has taken us in and the plans and ideas he has had are all correct. 12 months ago, when we smashed Reading, it looked like it was all paying off, and people wanted to give Warbs a job for life. A young exciting team then imploded and we only recovered briefly under Beale. However. After backing Les throughout the whole time he's been at the club, my feeling is it's time for a change and some fresh ideas and impetus. The pressure on him is building and it would probably be better for all parties if we moved on and built on what he's done, because we now look stagnant.

THE BOARD: This is the one I find hardest to credit. As a fanbase, we need to move on from the mistakes made in their first three years. That's gone. Since then, TF seemingly made some poor appointments (JFH, McClaren). But Warbs brought us stability and some exciting football, and I think regardless of what happened, Beale was a really exciting and forward-thinking appointment that unfortunately blew up in their and our faces. I'm not totally sure what the fans calling for Amit to go want (they also don't know anything about who controls things at the club, clearly). A new owner can't put more money in for funds. A new owner can't magic a new stadium. These owners are building a new training ground. They're pouring money in every month and if they could they'd have given Critchley £5m in January to pep up the squad. Other than some bad managerial appointments, I don't have any major recent issues with them at all.

Bare bones.

The Manager, the DoF and the Board on 14:40 - Feb 17 with 2582 viewsQPR_Jim

Agree with all that.

On Critchley I think he's got a tough task now to keep his job. Middlesbrough and Blackburn would be hard games even if we were still in the playoffs. I'd like to think losing them but playing better would keep him in place, then give him an opportunity in a more winnable game like Rotherham.
The Manager, the DoF and the Board on 15:11 - Feb 17 with 2500 viewsR_from_afar

Good thread.

One thing I would say is that unless you have actually seen Critchley run a training session, you have no idea how he speaks during it and how he comes across. Most people adjust their manner and tone for the audience.

I'll give you an example of this: Nick Crane the TV presenter has always looked and sounded like a bookish, studious type, not the sort of person who would be at home out in the wilds yet this man, with his cousin, cycled from the Indian Ocean, through the Himalayas and across the Gobi desert, on a push bike. Unsupported. With no comms.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

The Manager, the DoF and the Board on 15:14 - Feb 17 with 2489 viewsARudd

A really pragmatic assessment amongst the feeding frenzy around Manager/ DoF and Board right now, thanks!

I tend to agree with all you have said, especially re the owners - and certainly better the devil you know. Whether they have been right or wrong, they have always come across as having the club's best interests at heart.

I fear it is too late for NC, especially if tomorrow goes really badly, and if he hasn't lost [all] of the fans, he certainly appears to have lost the players, whether his fault or theirs doesn't really matter, outcome is the same...
The Manager, the DoF and the Board on 15:17 - Feb 17 with 2480 viewstoboboly

It would be interesting to know how many of these people spamming the club posts on twitter have ever gone to a game. You get the feeling not many of them do.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

The Manager, the DoF and the Board on 15:37 - Feb 17 with 2416 viewsPikey

Interesting and excellent post by OP.
Can I offer something from left field. If Critchley is to go why not pot DOF in charge of team matters until end of season. He has his badges, he sets what he wants managers to do, he is already on payroll so no increased costs.
Hopefully stay up and review in the summer.
The Manager, the DoF and the Board on 15:40 - Feb 17 with 2399 viewseastside_r

The Manager, the DoF and the Board on 15:37 - Feb 17 by Pikey

Interesting and excellent post by OP.
Can I offer something from left field. If Critchley is to go why not pot DOF in charge of team matters until end of season. He has his badges, he sets what he wants managers to do, he is already on payroll so no increased costs.
Hopefully stay up and review in the summer.

Was thinking the very same myself yesterday.
The Manager, the DoF and the Board on 15:43 - Feb 17 with 2384 viewsaston_hoop

QPR Twitter is just kids and sock puppets, a complete waste of time bothering with. At least we only get the sock puppets on LFW!

In terms of Antti's original post, pretty much agree with all of that. I don't particularly see anything likely to change in the short term on the pitch although I think they'll wait for either tomorrow night or early next week to ditch Critchley and bring in someone on the short term anyway. Wouldn't surprise me if the person taking over is already lined up.

If Les does step away or indeed is pushed, I'd be interested to know what profile of person would be set to take over. Would we look at trying to poach one of the high performing sporting directors from various League 1 clubs or do we go down the ex-player route again
[Post edited 17 Feb 2023 15:43]

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

The Manager, the DoF and the Board on 15:53 - Feb 17 with 2359 viewsrobith

The Manager, the DoF and the Board on 15:43 - Feb 17 by aston_hoop

QPR Twitter is just kids and sock puppets, a complete waste of time bothering with. At least we only get the sock puppets on LFW!

In terms of Antti's original post, pretty much agree with all of that. I don't particularly see anything likely to change in the short term on the pitch although I think they'll wait for either tomorrow night or early next week to ditch Critchley and bring in someone on the short term anyway. Wouldn't surprise me if the person taking over is already lined up.

If Les does step away or indeed is pushed, I'd be interested to know what profile of person would be set to take over. Would we look at trying to poach one of the high performing sporting directors from various League 1 clubs or do we go down the ex-player route again
[Post edited 17 Feb 2023 15:43]

The level of sock puppets is so weird for a midtable championship team right? So many accounts without real avatars who spend all day RTing culture war and anti-vax posts, occasionally breaking to demand Les Ferdinand is sacked. Gives me the big ick
Login to get fewer ads

The Manager, the DoF and the Board on 16:10 - Feb 17 with 2306 viewsaston_hoop

The Manager, the DoF and the Board on 15:53 - Feb 17 by robith

The level of sock puppets is so weird for a midtable championship team right? So many accounts without real avatars who spend all day RTing culture war and anti-vax posts, occasionally breaking to demand Les Ferdinand is sacked. Gives me the big ick

Its genuinely really disturbing behaviour, new ones pop up all the time it seems. Generic name, the culture war and anti-vax stuff with the occasional dig at QPR as you said. Sometimes a few bits on them being 'working class from W12' and that kind of thing. I really wonder if other clubs do this or its just we have one or two very disturbed individuals following us.

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

The Manager, the DoF and the Board on 16:53 - Feb 17 with 2224 viewsMedwayR

Manager: When we appointed Critchley, it felt to me like the right manager at the wrong time and I still feel that way. The question now is whether we back him long enough in the hope the situation changes and he becomes the right manager at the right time.

DoF: I think Ferdinand was mainly brought in to appease the fans and give the board some protection, whilst taking the football side in a new direction. Overall, I think it's been a success although there have been some bumps in the road. However, I think we need someone new in the summer. The balance of the squad isn't right, we still have too much reliance on loans, and the permanent transfers aren't good enough to fully implement our buy low-sell high strategy. It's easy to say he has to go but it won't be easy to find a suitable replacement to build on the foundations Ferdinand has put in place, it's fundamental that the owners get it right and I'm not 100% confident that they will, but even so I think it needs a change and a clear strategy at board level for what they want from a new DoF.

The Board: I've no issues with the board, it's a thankless task. However, I do think Hoos has run his course. He's a numbers man and has done what we needed him to do and now I think it needs someone with more imagination, innovation & able to think outside of the box to take the club forward.

Poll: Who’s better?

The Manager, the DoF and the Board on 17:54 - Feb 17 with 2098 viewsQPROslo

I hope nobody is going anywhere. We need everybody on board, keeping us together especially now results are bad. We have more than enough players out with injury as it is and have just read Willock has a strain in the the same hamstring he was operated on close to year ago which will keep him out short term at least.

Focus on some positives for Christ sake. Critchley's comments on this in his pre-match are dead right. Dykes is back in training, great to hear it.

The Board are funding us,. We have been steadily improving year on year under Les and Hoos, and especially when we had Warburton. This season ain't done yet. Looking at the games in full and not just the results and collective hysteria that follows them, knowing the problems left by his predecessor and the key players out iinjured, I see no reason why the people who appointed Critcley, gave him a long contract would or should have changed their minds now. At times like this it seems clickbait bollox is driving fans crazy and there is a danger the hysteria will push the people who made the sensible decision to appoint Critchley a handful of games ago, into making a very bad call.
The Manager, the DoF and the Board on 18:05 - Feb 17 with 2069 viewsSteveB

Sorry mate, downvoted in error - agree 100% with all 3. That's a fine assessment indeed.
The Manager, the DoF and the Board on 18:20 - Feb 17 with 2025 viewsVancouverHoop

If the DoF goes (plus much of the front office, maybe not Hoos) as I agree, is required, then the head coach must go too. Though not the board. It's tough on Critchley but cleaning house is absolutely necessary. None of this should happen until season's end though. It needs careful planning beginning now. I've no idea who'd be a good choice though Warbs, if available, might be in the frame. He knows the board, the fans, and has administrative experience. He'd have to hire the Head Coach, and that may be tricky.
The Manager, the DoF and the Board on 18:27 - Feb 17 with 1988 viewsessextaxiboy

The Manager, the DoF and the Board on 14:25 - Feb 17 by robith

I would question heavily the notion that Niko, Ozzy and Bonne's contracts came to a million total imo and taken a look at some estimates of their salaries.

I would say biggest wage killers would be things like letting Warbz re-sign Lee Wallace on big wages and again leaving us without a solution at left back, signing Austin when he didn't fit the style of play clearly to get the fans onside, letting Warbs have his way on Gray. Those are far bigger and more damaging cases to answer than squad players on low wages

Hope you are doing ok and get back to the games and posting soon .

I though I read that Ozzy and Nico were on 2.5k per week , not sure about Bonne . maybe the point is more about judgement than cash .
Your examples are better TBH
The Manager, the DoF and the Board on 18:47 - Feb 17 with 1950 viewsrobith

The Manager, the DoF and the Board on 18:27 - Feb 17 by essextaxiboy

Hope you are doing ok and get back to the games and posting soon .

I though I read that Ozzy and Nico were on 2.5k per week , not sure about Bonne . maybe the point is more about judgement than cash .
Your examples are better TBH

Overall your point is valid though, not sure we've helped ourselves on where we distribute wages
The Manager, the DoF and the Board on 18:48 - Feb 17 with 1947 viewsWhip_It

Yes, a good thread and a relief from the bile.

I still back Les, and don't think people really appreciate the difficulty of the job he has, and the very high profile his mistakes receive. I struggle to think of a realistic alternative who I could trust to have the club's best interests at heart and to understand what the club is all about. There are plenty of sharks who would love the opportunity to land a role like his and return us to the days when we were being scalped by agents routinely. Things still need to change, but I would keep Les.

A strong character on the Board would be helpful - ideally a new Chairman (rather than new owners) with a positive and coherent vision. But then, who would put themselves in this position given the amount of flak they're likely to receive?
The Manager, the DoF and the Board on 23:19 - Feb 17 with 1816 viewsstanistheman

The Manager, the DoF and the Board on 14:25 - Feb 17 by robith

I would question heavily the notion that Niko, Ozzy and Bonne's contracts came to a million total imo and taken a look at some estimates of their salaries.

I would say biggest wage killers would be things like letting Warbz re-sign Lee Wallace on big wages and again leaving us without a solution at left back, signing Austin when he didn't fit the style of play clearly to get the fans onside, letting Warbs have his way on Gray. Those are far bigger and more damaging cases to answer than squad players on low wages

Letting Warbs get his way with Gray ( the same one that finished as our top scorer)?

The manager has all the coaching badges but his personality and motivational skills are not ones that will get us out of this hole the players have dug.

The DoF, recruitment squad and his coaches have left us with an unbalanced squad consisting of players that are not good enough, a lack of centre forwards, and loans that the manager wanted.
Also allowed Masterson to go out on loan whilst Balogun was out with a mysterious injury and Glass Salter leaving us with only Kakay and Gubbins as cover ( the former is also cover for the right back).

The DoF also has a policy of buying crocks because they are cheap and he hopes to improve them to sell at a profit. This reminds me of Basil Fawlty employing O’Reilly the builder because he is cheap.
The reason the players are cheap is because they have injury problems. Amos, Richards, Clarke- Salter from the current squad. How many have we sold on for a profit, or even the money back?

JFH was also his appointment not Fernandes. As was Ramsey , who is still at the club coaching youngsters who never seem to progress through to the 1st team.

I blame the owners for not getting rid of the DoF. It’s about time they found a better qualified and knowledgeable one.
The Manager, the DoF and the Board on 23:50 - Feb 17 with 1779 viewsnumptydumpty

Critchley if we don't win in next three or four, he will be out the door, but my bet is he will end up somewhere similar and succeed. Inherited Beales Babes who all been group sulking since their sugar daddy left the building !!!!

Les, love Les, and in all my time attending since 1980, my all time favourite hoop, but his time has come. Done some good things as DoF, but a new driver at the helm is definitely required now.

Owners, bankrolling the club, no reason to change.

CEO, Lee Hoos, again like Les, he has done well, but the slump and lack of new initiatives is creeping in and a change is needed most certainly.

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

The Manager, the DoF and the Board on 08:00 - Feb 18 with 1612 viewspaulparker

The Manager, the DoF and the Board on 17:54 - Feb 17 by QPROslo

I hope nobody is going anywhere. We need everybody on board, keeping us together especially now results are bad. We have more than enough players out with injury as it is and have just read Willock has a strain in the the same hamstring he was operated on close to year ago which will keep him out short term at least.

Focus on some positives for Christ sake. Critchley's comments on this in his pre-match are dead right. Dykes is back in training, great to hear it.

The Board are funding us,. We have been steadily improving year on year under Les and Hoos, and especially when we had Warburton. This season ain't done yet. Looking at the games in full and not just the results and collective hysteria that follows them, knowing the problems left by his predecessor and the key players out iinjured, I see no reason why the people who appointed Critcley, gave him a long contract would or should have changed their minds now. At times like this it seems clickbait bollox is driving fans crazy and there is a danger the hysteria will push the people who made the sensible decision to appoint Critchley a handful of games ago, into making a very bad call.

You make out like we have lost a couple of games on the Spin , seriously a blind man can see where we are going at the moment

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

The Manager, the DoF and the Board on 09:53 - Feb 18 with 1544 viewsstanistheman

The run we are on is not a blip snd we are sinking like a rock in quicksand.

Critchley has a tough job but 1 win from 10 (his first game) is appalling. Even Cardiff have wonn2 out of 5 for their new manager.

You say we have improved year on tear under Hoos and Ferdinand. Luton have been back up 3 seasons and have one play offs and another seemingly this season . QPR have been bottom 6 twice and this could be 3 in 8 seasons and not one season in the top 8.

Where are the improved young players from his time along with all the coaches he has brought to the club? We are spending a lot of money on a new training ground for a Cat B academy which sees the best 14-17 year olds poached by Cat A academies.

The money wasted on these coaches could be better used to pay towards better players. Scrap or upgrade the Academy and concentrate on a decent B team like the old Football Combination teams that produced good young players.

Hoos steadied the finances but has no new ideas how to increase revenue and instead talks about the ground not bringing money in . Other clubs with less fans do better than QPR.
The Manager, the DoF and the Board on 14:06 - Feb 18 with 1433 viewsrobith

@stanistheman, don't want to quote your whole post as you only replied to me in the first sentence. But yes - there is a lot of murmurs about Gray's behaviour, us being offered Wells instead and Warbs digging his heels in for his boy
The Manager, the DoF and the Board on 14:22 - Feb 18 with 1406 viewsbaz_qpr

I think letting Warburton go, given the tensions in the club and the collapse last year was the right move.

I think Beale was the right appointment, but it was coming undone under him and I'm not sure if that was down to him clearly looking elsewhere or that he did not have a plan B when teams worked out to just play a high press / low block against us. We were also outperforming XG which meant we were taking our limited chances and scoring a lot from outside the box.

I think Critchley has been a disaterous appointment. I was worried having seen what happened to Villa after he replaced Beale there that should have been red warning lights and klaxons to the club that this might not be the right appointment for the club at this time. I think he has to be questioned on his man management (everyone has gone backwards, no one is leading) his tactics and selections 4-2-3-1 / 4-4-2 players out of position not getting the best out of them. It all feels very Ray Harford. Yes he has had a bad hand with injuries with 4 of this years signings being pretty much permanently out, plus Willocks injury woes / form collapse. The unwillingness to go 3-5-2 / 3-4-3 which suits our players skill set and weaknesses best I can't get my head around. I think he will be gone by Monday.

Hoos has run his race and we need a new CEO with energy, a new voice and new ideas

The owners we have to be thankful for, driving them out is madness we will be straight back in Admin and at the mercy of the Paladinis of this world again
The Manager, the DoF and the Board on 17:53 - Feb 18 with 1325 viewsTGRRRSSS

Cannot sack the board for the obvious.

I agree with much on here and also would suggest it is time for Hoos to go, one of the things he does is talk in any interviews is what cant be done and why running things down is not how a CEO ought to behave and as others state other small clubs have grown and developed - yes there are problems but if Hoos thinks them insurmountable he should go.

I agree a CEO will never be popular but he simply seems to have little interest in developing things further.

AS for NC - I am not sure he can last if we don't win or at least get something from Blackburn I'd say he's toast, but there again what offer didwe give him?

Another huge pay off???

AS for Les and co behind the scenes, again a lot of seeming ideas are spot on but are they much different too what most of us suggest on here?

Other clubs seem to have similar idea and do it better.
The Manager, the DoF and the Board on 18:41 - Feb 18 with 1219 viewsngbqpr

I agree Oslo.

Not sure if we're the only two - but glad it's not just me!

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

The Manager, the DoF and the Board on 19:39 - Feb 18 with 1142 viewsManinBlack

One win in 18 is disgraceful. Fans who are rightly concerned about the direction and future of this club are not being hysterical. This current side is the worst I have set eyes on in 50 plus years. We look like a club more destined for the Conference than ever returning to the Premier league. I have seen nothing since November to be positive about other than those excellent fans trekking around the country watching these surrender monkeys.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024