Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Jack Stephens Deserves Saints Fans Respect At This Time 09:05 - Oct 2 with 907 viewsSaintsNews

Jack Stephens Deserves Saints Fans Respect At This Time 2nd Oct 2024 09:04
Although I do not think that Jack Stephens should be the captain of Southampton or for that matter a first choice starter in the team, I respect what he has done for the club and he now finds himself in a position that is not of his making. 9

If you want to remove this post from the board index, just click the hide post icon below. To hide all our news posts click the ignore user icon under the avatar.
Jack Stephens Deserves Saints Fans Respect At This Time on 09:11 - Oct 2 with 878 viewsHollywood56

It's entirely of his making, he got himself sent off then couldn't control his emotions, that's not how a captain and influencer should of behaved, he's a roll model to youngsters and should be stripped of the captaincy imo!!

Poll: Potter as head coach and Llallana as his assistant

Jack Stephens Deserves Saints Fans Respect At This Time on 09:27 - Oct 2 with 848 viewsGRIM

Jack Stephens Deserves Saints Fans Respect At This Time on 09:11 - Oct 2 by Hollywood56

It's entirely of his making, he got himself sent off then couldn't control his emotions, that's not how a captain and influencer should of behaved, he's a roll model to youngsters and should be stripped of the captaincy imo!!

Because of Slack Jack's behaviour I agree that he should be stripped of the captaincy.
He should never have been captain & now is the perfect opportunity to relieve him of that responsibility.
Jack Stephens Deserves Saints Fans Respect At This Time on 09:50 - Oct 2 with 809 viewsdirk_doone

Time to reward him with a double armband?

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Jack Stephens Deserves Saints Fans Respect At This Time on 10:09 - Oct 2 with 776 viewssaint901

Absolutely of his own making.
Jack Stephens Deserves Saints Fans Respect At This Time on 10:20 - Oct 2 with 758 viewsdirk_doone

Jack Stephens Deserves Saints Fans Respect At This Time on 10:09 - Oct 2 by saint901

Absolutely of his own making.

No, I think we can afford to make one for him. It's only a strip of material.

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Jack Stephens Deserves Saints Fans Respect At This Time on 10:25 - Oct 2 with 740 viewssaintwizzler

One of many Championship level players at the club.

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

Jack Stephens Deserves Saints Fans Respect At This Time on 11:01 - Oct 2 with 697 viewsGRIM

Jack Stephens Deserves Saints Fans Respect At This Time on 10:25 - Oct 2 by saintwizzler

One of many Championship level players at the club.

All these years he's been with us & never got any better & look how much he's been earning.
Jack Stephens Deserves Saints Fans Respect At This Time on 11:46 - Oct 2 with 642 viewsBerber

Well, that is one way of looking at it, even if it is through a severe squint. I agree that RM appears to have completely over rated JS though.

Poll: How many wins this season sweepstake

Login to get fewer ads

Jack Stephens Deserves Saints Fans Respect At This Time on 11:47 - Oct 2 with 642 viewssaint901

Jack Stephens Deserves Saints Fans Respect At This Time on 11:01 - Oct 2 by GRIM

All these years he's been with us & never got any better & look how much he's been earning.

Why is there an obsession about players earnings?

Jack is no different from any other professional sports player who gets paid whatever the market dictates. That rate has nothing to do with ability or "loyalty" or performance in the last game.

There are 92 professional clubs in our system. with an average 25 players on the books.- so around 2,500 paid players. Some will earn mega millions. Most do not. PL players will be toward the top of the demographic. (20 PL clubs with say 30 players each?) so market conditions say that if they are on the books, they get the going rate.
Jack Stephens Deserves Saints Fans Respect At This Time on 12:34 - Oct 2 with 585 viewskingslandstand1

Jack Stephens Deserves Saints Fans Respect At This Time on 09:11 - Oct 2 by Hollywood56

He should also be fined by the club (if he hasn't already). I'm guessing he has for the sending off but there needs to be additional punishment (from the club) for the afters and bringing the club in to disrespect or whatever. Def have the captaincy taken from him. You don't go round calling the officials c****s no matter what!
Jack Stephens Deserves Saints Fans Respect At This Time on 14:13 - Oct 2 with 520 viewsSaintNick

Not one of the posts on this thread actually seem to relate to the actual article itself and the thinking behind it, the article wasn't about whether Jack Stephens should be stripped of the Captaincy, it was about how a loyal servant of the club had been hung out to dry by the manager.

But it seems no one cares, if the name Jack Stephens is in the title its a good reason to slag him off.

Its not as if Jack is the first Saints player to abuse a referee, David Prutton physically assaulted a referee which was much more than Stephens did

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Jack Stephens Deserves Saints Fans Respect At This Time on 14:19 - Oct 2 with 512 viewsGRIM

Jack Stephens Deserves Saints Fans Respect At This Time on 11:47 - Oct 2 by saint901

Why is there an obsession about players earnings?

Jack is no different from any other professional sports player who gets paid whatever the market dictates. That rate has nothing to do with ability or "loyalty" or performance in the last game.

There are 92 professional clubs in our system. with an average 25 players on the books.- so around 2,500 paid players. Some will earn mega millions. Most do not. PL players will be toward the top of the demographic. (20 PL clubs with say 30 players each?) so market conditions say that if they are on the books, they get the going rate.

I've no problem with top sportsmen earning big salaries but I do have an opinion on very average sportsman earning mega bucks.
And in what other occupation could workers earn more than their Managers.
Jack Stephens Deserves Saints Fans Respect At This Time on 16:42 - Oct 2 with 431 viewssaint901

Jack Stephens Deserves Saints Fans Respect At This Time on 14:19 - Oct 2 by GRIM

I've no problem with top sportsmen earning big salaries but I do have an opinion on very average sportsman earning mega bucks.
And in what other occupation could workers earn more than their Managers.

Hedge funds
Equity traders
Banking
Solicitors
Architects
Any professional sport in the USA
Any professional sport in Europe probably
Jack Stephens Deserves Saints Fans Respect At This Time on 17:01 - Oct 2 with 419 viewssaint901

Jack Stephens Deserves Saints Fans Respect At This Time on 14:13 - Oct 2 by SaintNick

Not one of the posts on this thread actually seem to relate to the actual article itself and the thinking behind it, the article wasn't about whether Jack Stephens should be stripped of the Captaincy, it was about how a loyal servant of the club had been hung out to dry by the manager.

But it seems no one cares, if the name Jack Stephens is in the title its a good reason to slag him off.

Its not as if Jack is the first Saints player to abuse a referee, David Prutton physically assaulted a referee which was much more than Stephens did

There are perhaps two ways of reading his situation.

Either he is absolutely committed to the club, the manager and the style we are playing and lost his head in a moment of madness, which, as you point out, would not be unique or even "up there" in terms of the worst offenses.

Or he has become disillusioned with all of the above and made a tackle that was was at best misjudged and then made a petulant remark to the ref in the heat of the moment, born of frustration.

The fact is however that the tackle he made was unnecessary - that game was already lost - and as captain, charged with bringing his side through matches and being the voice of the manager on the pitch, he has a duty/obligation to be a little better than those around him in terms of game management.

He would be a better man than most of us if he was not frustrated and it may be unfair to pillory him for what I hope is an isolated incident. However we are all unhappy at results and the way we are playing and the "fact" that the manager seems unable to turn it around, resorting to ever more bizarre player choices and positioning. He is not special in that regard, but does have obligations as above, that we do not.

And in doubling down on a red card he has become fair game for criticism.

I have nothing against the man. In our team he is perhaps not the best player, but far from the worst. I have sympathy for him being played in odd positions which he has never trained for. I would play him in the side but probably as a sweeper in a back 5. By doing what he did however, that option has gone for now.

I'm not a believer in loyalty between player and club. These are professionals working for a business. Loyalty ends at the pay cheque and in my eyes therefore "loyalty" buys no benefits or excuses for player or club.

Loyalty toward your team mates however I do believe in and whilst the tackle and red card can be excused for the reasons above and do not perhaps breach that code, adding to your suspension by being unprofessional does that breach that code.

Fans are loyal - to the club/team. Do I want to see our players care as little for the fans as the owners and management seem to? No. Do I want to see fans upset if a player gets yellow/red if they do something "for the team"? No. We accept that players make mistakes or sometimes will need to get yellow/red. Do I think that fans want to see players missing from the team for totally unnecessary reasons? No.

In my view, Jack may feel he owes the fans an apology, probably his team mates but that is all.
Jack Stephens Deserves Saints Fans Respect At This Time on 17:08 - Oct 2 with 418 viewsBazza

I have a problem with any professional player who repeatedly makes the same mistakes (dangerous back passes to the keeper) and does not make enough effort to fully use their talents. No one fitting that description should be captain of any team.
Jack Stephens Deserves Saints Fans Respect At This Time on 17:42 - Oct 2 with 385 viewsPatfromPoole

Jack Stephens Deserves Saints Fans Respect At This Time on 14:13 - Oct 2 by SaintNick

I'm not sure I get your point, Nick.

You seem to be indicating that because Martin has put him on a pedestal and made a point of always picking him, he should somehow be frustrated by this.

I would have thought quite the opposite, if his halo was being polished by Martin.

Poll: Would you take Ward-Prowse back?

Jack Stephens Deserves Saints Fans Respect At This Time on 17:54 - Oct 2 with 374 viewsCity_boy

I don't think loyalty comes into it. Stephens has had contracts at Saints that far exceed his ability, so he was never going to go anywhere.

I am no fan of Martin, but fail to see how he has been hung out to dry by the Manager. After all Stephens is one of RM's favourites. The negative response since Stephens got sent off is all of his own making.
[Post edited 2 Oct 18:12]
Jack Stephens Deserves Saints Fans Respect At This Time on 20:33 - Oct 2 with 266 viewsBerber

I beg to differ, my previous post relates only to what you posted.

Poll: How many wins this season sweepstake

Jack Stephens Deserves Saints Fans Respect At This Time on 20:39 - Oct 2 with 257 viewsSaintNick

Jack Stephens Deserves Saints Fans Respect At This Time on 17:42 - Oct 2 by PatfromPoole

I'm not sure I get your point, Nick.

You seem to be indicating that because Martin has put him on a pedestal and made a point of always picking him, he should somehow be frustrated by this.

I would have thought quite the opposite, if his halo was being polished by Martin.

The point is that we all know that he should not be in the team let alone Captain, but if that is what Russell Martin wants to do, the player is hardly going to say no.

Yes probably he was initially pleased, but he has now realised that he is not the man for the job and is seen as being part of the problem with the manager.

My main point though is that as a loyal player to the club, he deserves some respect and not the cliched abuse he is getting from all sides it seems.

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Jack Stephens Deserves Saints Fans Respect At This Time on 20:44 - Oct 2 with 255 viewsGRIM

Jack Stephens Deserves Saints Fans Respect At This Time on 16:42 - Oct 2 by saint901

Hedge funds
Equity traders
Banking
Solicitors
Architects
Any professional sport in the USA
Any professional sport in Europe probably

And Jack Stephen's is probably earning more than all of them.
Jack Stephens Deserves Saints Fans Respect At This Time on 12:06 - Oct 3 with 97 viewssaint901

Jack Stephens Deserves Saints Fans Respect At This Time on 20:44 - Oct 2 by GRIM

And Jack Stephen's is probably earning more than all of them.

Almost certainly not more than the first two, perhaps three on the list.

And why does it matter.

He is paid the going rate and he has no control over that.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024