Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Give Russell a chance thread 08:54 - Sep 5 with 6361 viewsButty101

Im a bit surprised how quickly the pitch folk mob is assembling. Its 3 games into the season ffs. Im not a big fan and was critical at times last season of the tippy tappy stuff. However he turned it round last season so trust the process :-)

In his interview after the Brentford game, he was quite clear that he wanted to give the players who got us up a go. However its not worked and changes will be made. We have 2 weeks to prep for a poor man u . i can see a 2-1 win for us and lift off

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

The Give Russell a chance thread on 10:44 - Sep 5 with 3186 viewsMytchettSaint

I agree, I'm not a massive fan of the style of play and It was always going to be a struggle this season with a steep learning curve for RM and the team. Let's hope we see some lessons learned in the coming games. And with SR in charge and their track record of panicked managerial appointments I fear the worst should they need to do a mid season reset.

Forza Rossobianco

The Give Russell a chance thread on 10:54 - Sep 5 with 3175 viewsSaintNick

Good points, whatever peoples opinions of him etc, the fact was he did get up promoted and showed in the final games he could change the style a little, he deserves a chance.

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

The Give Russell a chance thread on 11:02 - Sep 5 with 3159 viewsBridders2

The Give Russell a chance thread on 10:54 - Sep 5 by SaintNick

Good points, whatever peoples opinions of him etc, the fact was he did get up promoted and showed in the final games he could change the style a little, he deserves a chance.

Yes he deserves a chance. Give him the next 3 games, if it's the same situation with mistakes made at the back by playing tight triangles in our own penalty area, then a new coach is required.
The Give Russell a chance thread on 11:07 - Sep 5 with 3156 viewsA1079

I am with you Butty. I don't feel ready and neither does it feel right at the moment to throw the towel in with RM. I recall last season started badly, in fact, we start most seasons badly. Now don't get me wrong. I am not completely sold on his style and I have been to the 3 opening games this season and I have been frustrated with the failure to change things either during a game or for the next game, though equally I don't think some of the players have raised their game. But, I get his reasoning for giving the players that got themselves promoted a chance. I always felt it would be a struggle this season to survive. Remember we did not go up automatically and we did not even finish 3rd so there were gaps even at Championship level let alone PL level.

I do think RM has to be ready to change his style and adapt more for games. If he doesn't he will be the master of his own downfall.

I feel inclined to give RM a bit longer. I know each game is about results and points and the longer we go without them the harder it will become and in truth out of the games we have played we should have had something on the board as they were not difficult games or teams to play against. But, we cannot simply keep changing managers each time we lose a couple or so games. I don't believe RM has a right to remain in his job and if things don't change after this break or there is at least little sign of a change then it may be time to look at other options but for now, I am prepared to give him a bit longer.
The Give Russell a chance thread on 11:21 - Sep 5 with 3086 viewsSonicBoom

Thing is, by insisting on our rigid style I'm not sure RM is 'giving last years players a chance'.
What's he going to do? Drop them and replace them with the new signings, and then change the tactics?

If he really wants to give them a chance he should change the syle now and give them the opportunity to implement it.
The Give Russell a chance thread on 11:44 - Sep 5 with 3005 viewsDorsetIan

He needs to be given a chance and he absolutely did need to give the success stories from last year a chance too.

Adam Armstrong for example had scored 2 goals in each of previous two PL seasons and that was probably enough to know that he's not really a PL striker. But he did so well last season he needed another go. (I also feel that if he ever got into a bit of a streak in the PL, things might be different. We'll prob never find out).

But there is an issue here. Possession football is the way RM plays, that's why he was appointed and we can't just expect him to suddenly change his style at the flick of a switch.

There is an issue for him personally though, if he sticks to this style and he gets sacked or we get relegated, that's probably his PL career done. So some pragmatism might start to kick in for him at some point.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

The Give Russell a chance thread on 12:59 - Sep 5 with 2914 viewsfranniesTache

I've made my point pretty clear on here, he's got my backing for now because of what he did last season but my personal opinion is he's vastly out of his depth and his arrogance will see him gone sooner rather than later.

I actually don't think this squad has to be relegation fodder, but Martin's style means it is.

Hopefully he'll learn and change, but i'm not holding my breath
The Give Russell a chance thread on 12:59 - Sep 5 with 2914 viewsfelly1

We all knew it was going to be very tricky to stay up this season.
Whoever is the manager will be stuck with the same bunch of players and it's ultimately their qualities or lack of that make or break the season.

Martin definitely deserves a proper go at the Prem but he can't persist with the suicidal faffing about at the back otherwise he deserves the bullet.

It always surprises me how sections of the fan base turn on the manager after a few defeats.
It's almost like we're not allowed to lose football matches ever.

Maybe we could revolutionise football by employing managers on a three game 100k contract and get through aprox 12-15 managers a season!!
Login to get fewer ads

The Give Russell a chance thread on 13:18 - Sep 5 with 2887 viewsdirk_doone

The Give Russell a chance thread on 12:59 - Sep 5 by felly1

We all knew it was going to be very tricky to stay up this season.
Whoever is the manager will be stuck with the same bunch of players and it's ultimately their qualities or lack of that make or break the season.

Martin definitely deserves a proper go at the Prem but he can't persist with the suicidal faffing about at the back otherwise he deserves the bullet.

It always surprises me how sections of the fan base turn on the manager after a few defeats.
It's almost like we're not allowed to lose football matches ever.

Maybe we could revolutionise football by employing managers on a three game 100k contract and get through aprox 12-15 managers a season!!

I don't recall fans turning against Adkins, Pochettino, Koemann or Hasenhüttl after 3 games. Our fans are no different to any others and probably less fickle than some, but when a manager looks out of his depth, some will say so online, as happened with Nathan Jones.

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

The Give Russell a chance thread on 13:30 - Sep 5 with 2838 viewskernow

He shouldn’t be dismissed and he won’t be.
He deserves a chance.
The Give Russell a chance thread on 13:32 - Sep 5 with 2838 viewsI_would

Black used to be black, and now it's white!
Communism really works, look at Putin's popularity.
I'm sure this new government is going to completely curb illegal immigration.

Is everyone on magic mushrooms?

RM is not only a dead loss but arrogant with it. Swansea were glad to see the back of him. He's never achieved anything. He's not going to change things and lose face so I'd give him 3 games before SR lose their nerve.

Poll: How many players should RH play at the back on Saturday?

The Give Russell a chance thread on 14:00 - Sep 5 with 2804 viewsJellybaby

The Give Russell a chance thread on 13:32 - Sep 5 by I_would

RM is not only a dead loss but arrogant with it. Swansea were glad to see the back of him. He's never achieved anything. He's not going to change things and lose face so I'd give him 3 games before SR lose their nerve.

"Never achieved anything" except promotion unexpectedly last season....

Football fans are well known for acting like hysterical children when their team loses, but the more pragmatic will know that we are likely to get relegated this season whoever is in charge. Not all gloom though as also likely to get promoted the season after!

I wholly disapprove of what you say and will defend to the death your right to say it.

The Give Russell a chance thread on 14:03 - Sep 5 with 2786 viewsDorsetIan

The Give Russell a chance thread on 13:18 - Sep 5 by dirk_doone

I don't recall fans turning against Adkins, Pochettino, Koemann or Hasenhüttl after 3 games. Our fans are no different to any others and probably less fickle than some, but when a manager looks out of his depth, some will say so online, as happened with Nathan Jones.

I think it was also the utter gibberish coming out of his mouth that enabled everyone to get Jones's number so quickly.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

The Give Russell a chance thread on 14:19 - Sep 5 with 2745 viewskernow

A club record unbeaten streak and promotion to the Premier League, two achievements right there.
You write nonsense.
The Give Russell a chance thread on 14:31 - Sep 5 with 2719 viewsBerber

The Give Russell a chance thread on 12:59 - Sep 5 by franniesTache

I've made my point pretty clear on here, he's got my backing for now because of what he did last season but my personal opinion is he's vastly out of his depth and his arrogance will see him gone sooner rather than later.

I actually don't think this squad has to be relegation fodder, but Martin's style means it is.

Hopefully he'll learn and change, but i'm not holding my breath

I agree

Poll: How many wins this season sweepstake

The Give Russell a chance thread on 15:03 - Sep 5 with 2658 viewsHeisenberg

If by the end of September we haven’t adapted the way we play and concede more stupid goals and Stephens has started every game then I’m afraid he is toast.

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously'
Poll: Who should get a statue outside the old girl ?

The Give Russell a chance thread on 15:04 - Sep 5 with 2641 viewsNumber_58

What do you know about anything? Your irrational hate campaign against JWP showed what a sad, ill informed and vindictive individual you are. Your views are worthless.
[Post edited 5 Sep 15:05]
The Give Russell a chance thread on 15:06 - Sep 5 with 2644 viewssaint901

If he can demonstrate a little flexibility in his playing style and tactics, then yes, stick with him.

He must however realise that playing in the big boys league is very different from scraping out of the Championship as other contenders faltered.

Let's try not to give the opposition any more free goals and then we might begin to recover a little faith.
The Give Russell a chance thread on 15:17 - Sep 5 with 2611 viewskingslandstand1

The Give Russell a chance thread on 15:03 - Sep 5 by Heisenberg

If by the end of September we haven’t adapted the way we play and concede more stupid goals and Stephens has started every game then I’m afraid he is toast.

Butter or margerine with jam or marmalade
The Give Russell a chance thread on 15:35 - Sep 5 with 2582 viewsI_would

The Give Russell a chance thread on 15:04 - Sep 5 by Number_58

What do you know about anything? Your irrational hate campaign against JWP showed what a sad, ill informed and vindictive individual you are. Your views are worthless.
[Post edited 5 Sep 15:05]

Is No 58 linked to your IQ?

Everyone is entitled to an opinion on anything they wish .

The alternative to free speech is fascism.
End of. Shut it!

Poll: How many players should RH play at the back on Saturday?

The Give Russell a chance thread on 15:40 - Sep 5 with 2586 viewssledger

he will change some players then play the same way,all this trust the process garbage is doing my head in,the process leaks goals and gets the ball forward too slowly with the players we have,either sort it or get rid
The Give Russell a chance thread on 16:23 - Sep 5 with 2525 views1teeminants

Yep some were crucifying him before he’d even managed a game last season and despite a disastrous start last year he turned it round. He got us promoted and he deserves at least 7/8 games to turn it around then change it if he refuses to change his team selection or his tippy tappy at the back nonsense. The players seem to like him and there appears to be a good team spirit which counts for a lot.

I’m pretty confident if he starts or gives more of the flair players time like Dibling, Amo - Ayew , Cornet , Fernandes etc Saints will be fine.

Shearer, Walcott ,Shaw just 3 examples of if you’re good enough you’re old enough ffs .

Just play them !!

Poll: Would you take an Fa Cup win if it meant relegation to the championship ?

The Give Russell a chance thread on 16:29 - Sep 5 with 2516 viewskingolaf

Our problems are easy to see.

If nothing changes in the next game, sling him out.
The Give Russell a chance thread on 17:00 - Sep 5 with 2469 viewsLondonSaint76

The Give Russell a chance thread on 15:17 - Sep 5 by kingslandstand1

Butter or margerine with jam or marmalade

I can’t believe it’s not Buddha 🙃

Poll: How will we get on against Leicester City?

The Give Russell a chance thread on 18:17 - Sep 5 with 2349 viewsSouthamptonfan

You're right about beating Man U 2 -1. I had a premonition that we will witness all the sad faces of all those Mancs and glory hunter tourists as they get beat by Russell's rampant Saints.

In all seriousness, I might be just reminiscing about the 6-3 and the grey shirts, but we usually give United a game don't we. I think we could beat that lot. They have looked a shambles in the games I have seen them. Russel needs to get them to get the ball up the pitch much more quickly, with aggression and go right at them. The Leeds game last season was a turning point and RM changed tactics. Whatever he says, I think he will change things and we will go at them. We need a win , to settle everyone down that's for sure.

And yes, Russel needs to be given more time. Not only does he deserve it after the joy of Wembley last season, but sacking the manager doesn't necessarily mean things will get betteras we found out when we sacked Ralph.
[Post edited 5 Sep 18:20]

Poll: Who are you voting for?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024