Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Give Russell a chance thread 08:54 - Sep 5 with 6359 viewsButty101

Im a bit surprised how quickly the pitch folk mob is assembling. Its 3 games into the season ffs. Im not a big fan and was critical at times last season of the tippy tappy stuff. However he turned it round last season so trust the process :-)

In his interview after the Brentford game, he was quite clear that he wanted to give the players who got us up a go. However its not worked and changes will be made. We have 2 weeks to prep for a poor man u . i can see a 2-1 win for us and lift off

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

The Give Russell a chance thread on 19:37 - Sep 5 with 2021 viewsLondonSaint76

The Give Russell a chance thread on 18:17 - Sep 5 by Southamptonfan

You're right about beating Man U 2 -1. I had a premonition that we will witness all the sad faces of all those Mancs and glory hunter tourists as they get beat by Russell's rampant Saints.

In all seriousness, I might be just reminiscing about the 6-3 and the grey shirts, but we usually give United a game don't we. I think we could beat that lot. They have looked a shambles in the games I have seen them. Russel needs to get them to get the ball up the pitch much more quickly, with aggression and go right at them. The Leeds game last season was a turning point and RM changed tactics. Whatever he says, I think he will change things and we will go at them. We need a win , to settle everyone down that's for sure.

And yes, Russel needs to be given more time. Not only does he deserve it after the joy of Wembley last season, but sacking the manager doesn't necessarily mean things will get betteras we found out when we sacked Ralph.
[Post edited 5 Sep 18:20]

The grey shirts were the season before the 6-3 when we won 3-1 and were 3-0 up at half time. Monkou put us 1-0 up early on, Shipperly doubled our lead after about 20 mins then Le Tiss got the third just before HT. United changed from grey shirts to blue and white vertical stripes for the second half. That game was played in April 96 so near the end of the 95/96 season but then only 6 months later we played them again at home in Oct 96 and won 6-3. Berkovic opened the scoring even earlier than Monkou had the previous season and for the second season running we had put 3 past United by HT (3-1). They started the game in the same blue & white stripes they changed into the previous season so as the HT whistle blew it seemed like the whole ground were singing ‘Have you brought a change of kit?’ at Alex Ferguson as he trudged from the dugout on the halfway line back to the dressing room. To this day one of my favourite Dell memories, there was simply no answer to the chant.

Poll: How will we get on against Leicester City?

The Give Russell a chance thread on 20:48 - Sep 5 with 1972 viewsSouthamptonfan

The Give Russell a chance thread on 19:37 - Sep 5 by LondonSaint76

The grey shirts were the season before the 6-3 when we won 3-1 and were 3-0 up at half time. Monkou put us 1-0 up early on, Shipperly doubled our lead after about 20 mins then Le Tiss got the third just before HT. United changed from grey shirts to blue and white vertical stripes for the second half. That game was played in April 96 so near the end of the 95/96 season but then only 6 months later we played them again at home in Oct 96 and won 6-3. Berkovic opened the scoring even earlier than Monkou had the previous season and for the second season running we had put 3 past United by HT (3-1). They started the game in the same blue & white stripes they changed into the previous season so as the HT whistle blew it seemed like the whole ground were singing ‘Have you brought a change of kit?’ at Alex Ferguson as he trudged from the dugout on the halfway line back to the dressing room. To this day one of my favourite Dell memories, there was simply no answer to the chant.

Probably some of my favourite memories, involve Saints beating Man United. The 3-1 was a pulsating game, we just threw everything at them in the first half and we needed the points. The 6 - 3 involving Eyal Berkovich, Ostenstad, Le Tiss, had many of us dreaming of a great season ahead. I remember us having a terrible season from that point onwards and ended up losing to Dave Jones Stockport County in the same year. Souness was manager. Remember a great comeback against Newcastle twice at the Dell. From 2 nil down with only a couple of minutes left to 2 all - a Le Tissier beauty. The Dell was a special old place, that's for sure.
[Post edited 5 Sep 20:54]

Poll: Who are you voting for?

The Give Russell a chance thread on 08:43 - Sep 6 with 1828 viewssaintwizzler

Managers don’t get sacked if they are doing well.
It all comes down to results.
After the Wolves game in November there is another international break.
We will have played 11 league games then.
He deserves at least 11 games.

Let’s not forget there’s no loyalty in football.
If a better offer came in he’d be off like a shot.

I’d like him to be at the club for a very long time.
Because that would mean we were doing well.

The buck stops with the manager.

WE MARCH ON

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

The Give Russell a chance thread on 09:14 - Sep 6 with 1811 viewsMattFinish

Spot on Butty
I was critical of Russell last season at times but he got the job done. I wouldn’t say I wasn’t a fan of the passing game just the passing out from the back but when it came off which was more often than not to be fair it was good to watch
This season was always going to be tough and mistakes we got away with last season wil be punished but let’s see what he can do and get behind him. People forget he’s still a relatively new coach and has a massive learning curve in the PL.

As fans we can get behind him or make it hard for him and people who want him out after 3 games should be careful what they wish for because any manager is going to struggle to pick up points with the forward line SR has assembled
The Give Russell a chance thread on 09:40 - Sep 6 with 1802 viewsCity_boy

The Give Russell a chance thread on 09:14 - Sep 6 by MattFinish

Spot on Butty
I was critical of Russell last season at times but he got the job done. I wouldn’t say I wasn’t a fan of the passing game just the passing out from the back but when it came off which was more often than not to be fair it was good to watch
This season was always going to be tough and mistakes we got away with last season wil be punished but let’s see what he can do and get behind him. People forget he’s still a relatively new coach and has a massive learning curve in the PL.

As fans we can get behind him or make it hard for him and people who want him out after 3 games should be careful what they wish for because any manager is going to struggle to pick up points with the forward line SR has assembled

Matt, I don't think there is a forward line ? They all seem to hug the flanks and when players like Diaz do move into centre up front, there is no service. This is how the team have been set up, nothing really to do with Sports Republic.
The Give Russell a chance thread on 11:49 - Sep 6 with 1742 viewsyateleysaint

The Give Russell a chance thread on 17:00 - Sep 5 by LondonSaint76

I can’t believe it’s not Buddha 🙃

(Tips hat)

You cannot reason a person out of something they were not reasoned into.

The Give Russell a chance thread on 11:56 - Sep 6 with 1735 viewssaint22

He does deserve a chance and the chance is now
2 weeks and then a different line up against United and a switch in tactics and he has taken his chance
Any sign of Stephen’s Smallbone and the continuation of endless tippy tappy and he has blown that chance
It’s not rocket science
The Give Russell a chance thread on 13:51 - Sep 6 with 1695 viewsI_would

The Give Russell a chance thread on 11:56 - Sep 6 by saint22

He does deserve a chance and the chance is now
2 weeks and then a different line up against United and a switch in tactics and he has taken his chance
Any sign of Stephen’s Smallbone and the continuation of endless tippy tappy and he has blown that chance
It’s not rocket science

Great! A reasoned sensible argument amongst a load of dreamers on here who (mistakenly )want RM to stay on. Anyone who would play Smalbone, Stephens and Armstrong is clueless.

Poll: How many players should RH play at the back on Saturday?

Login to get fewer ads

The Give Russell a chance thread on 16:06 - Sep 6 with 1598 viewsBridders2

The Give Russell a chance thread on 13:51 - Sep 6 by I_would

Great! A reasoned sensible argument amongst a load of dreamers on here who (mistakenly )want RM to stay on. Anyone who would play Smalbone, Stephens and Armstrong is clueless.

Don't you read this site? Loads have been saying change the players and give him 3 games.
The Give Russell a chance thread on 16:54 - Sep 6 with 1558 viewsBerber

The Give Russell a chance thread on 08:43 - Sep 6 by saintwizzler

Managers don’t get sacked if they are doing well.
It all comes down to results.
After the Wolves game in November there is another international break.
We will have played 11 league games then.
He deserves at least 11 games.

Let’s not forget there’s no loyalty in football.
If a better offer came in he’d be off like a shot.

I’d like him to be at the club for a very long time.
Because that would mean we were doing well.

The buck stops with the manager.

WE MARCH ON

“I’d like him to be at the club for a very long time.
Because that would mean we were doing well.“

Hell, that is like wishing for a dose.

Poll: How many wins this season sweepstake

The Give Russell a chance thread on 22:15 - Sep 6 with 1464 viewssaintwizzler

The Give Russell a chance thread on 16:54 - Sep 6 by Berber

“I’d like him to be at the club for a very long time.
Because that would mean we were doing well.“

Hell, that is like wishing for a dose.

Managers get sacked because they are doing badly.
Hence why I’d like him to stay for a long time.

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

The Give Russell a chance thread on 11:16 - Sep 7 with 1368 viewsMattFinish

The Give Russell a chance thread on 09:40 - Sep 6 by City_boy

Matt, I don't think there is a forward line ? They all seem to hug the flanks and when players like Diaz do move into centre up front, there is no service. This is how the team have been set up, nothing really to do with Sports Republic.

Seriously though do you think that bunch of forwards are going to get goals this season?
The Give Russell a chance thread on 12:03 - Sep 7 with 1313 viewsSonicBoom

Some odd comments that RM got us up last season against the odds.
We had every advantage so we should have been promoted. There was no real excuse.
I also don't get the "he a new manager and it takes time to learn in the PL'.
Well im a tactical idiot but even I said before the season started that we could not play around our box in the PL with the players we have. In fact loads of people said it so RM is so stubborn he needed convincing.
I have two problems with him. First he says he wants the players to be brave. Our endless possession is not brave. It's cowardly. We are too scared to take any risks to create anything. We are second in the league for possession but have zero points.
Secondly, he seems to have no structure to our attack. No pattern, no plan. Who plays two forwards 50 yards apart with no one in the box for 90 minutes?

I like him as a person and I like having the ball in the middle and top thirds. But if he can't see that our current style is stifling us both defensively and offensively then this season will only go one way.
Let the defenders defend when necessary and let the more creative players have the freedom to try riskier passes to make chances. Currently we look completely overcoached.
He needs to quickly for his own sake and for the team.
The Give Russell a chance thread on 12:13 - Sep 7 with 1300 viewsCity_boy

The Give Russell a chance thread on 11:16 - Sep 7 by MattFinish

Seriously though do you think that bunch of forwards are going to get goals this season?

Probably not, but it's all we have now transfer window has closed and they would stand a better chance if they were in and around the box, rather than hugging both flanks.
[Post edited 7 Sep 12:17]
The Give Russell a chance thread on 13:01 - Sep 7 with 1263 viewsBazza

Currently we are playing the most tedious and most futile football I’ve seen from the Saints in 60 years.
The Give Russell a chance thread on 07:08 - Sep 8 with 1139 viewsCity_boy

The Give Russell a chance thread on 13:01 - Sep 7 by Bazza

Currently we are playing the most tedious and most futile football I’ve seen from the Saints in 60 years.

Bazza - "Futile' what great adjective to describe our play.

"incapable of producing any useful result; pointless"
The Give Russell a chance thread on 08:54 - Sep 8 with 1056 viewskernow

Seems to me like some folk are enjoying our current situation. Three games in and the knives come out.
Sad.
The Give Russell a chance thread on 12:20 - Sep 8 with 924 viewsCity_boy

The Give Russell a chance thread on 08:54 - Sep 8 by kernow

Seems to me like some folk are enjoying our current situation. Three games in and the knives come out.
Sad.

I don't think any genuine reader/contributor on this site is enjoying our current situation, or takes any comfort from the recent performances, especially as we have the nucleus of a good side (if we play our best team).

I sense that most are just frustrated at the style and performances, and wish Martin would move away from his obsession with stats and possession whilst playing around at the back (me included).
[Post edited 8 Sep 12:21]
The Give Russell a chance thread on 13:12 - Sep 8 with 868 viewskernow

Fair comments but this contributor is prepared to be patient and optimistic that things will change and improve.
The Give Russell a chance thread on 13:30 - Sep 8 with 855 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

I'm with Butty.

I think the manager should be given more time, and maybe a lot more time

Poll: Is Southampton FC a big club. Where do they rank?

The Give Russell a chance thread on 14:06 - Sep 8 with 819 viewsgrumpy

The Give Russell a chance thread on 13:30 - Sep 8 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

I'm with Butty.

I think the manager should be given more time, and maybe a lot more time

The Give Russell a chance thread on 14:46 - Sep 8 with 777 viewsChesham_Saint

The Give Russell a chance thread on 15:03 - Sep 5 by Heisenberg

If by the end of September we haven’t adapted the way we play and concede more stupid goals and Stephens has started every game then I’m afraid he is toast.

I agree. If he can't adapt then he should go - maybe give him another 5 games?
As for last season, yes we got up but only just, for which he deserves a certain amount of credit. Although I do think the reality is that wasn't an unreasonable expectation given the squad he had and certainly not as impressive as what Ipswich achieved.

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

The Give Russell a chance thread on 14:50 - Sep 8 with 775 viewsChesham_Saint

The Give Russell a chance thread on 19:37 - Sep 5 by LondonSaint76

Also, in the 6-3, it should have been 6-2 as Scholes blatantly handballed for his goal, but this was well disguised with his back to the ref (I was in the Milton and it was a clear as day that he tapped the ball forward with his lower arm before putting it in the net). Ginger mufc fvck.*

* I'm not biased against gingers per se, just man u...

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

The Give Russell a chance thread on 08:32 - Sep 9 with 567 viewskernow

The Give Russell a chance thread on 07:08 - Sep 8 by City_boy

Bazza - "Futile' what great adjective to describe our play.

"incapable of producing any useful result; pointless"

Eventually managed to watch in full the match v Brentford. Apart from the performances of Fernandes , Dibling, Lallana and Sugawara. I have to admit it was a hard watch, unfortunately.
The Give Russell a chance thread on 08:38 - Sep 9 with 563 viewsgrumpy

The Give Russell a chance thread on 08:32 - Sep 9 by kernow

Eventually managed to watch in full the match v Brentford. Apart from the performances of Fernandes , Dibling, Lallana and Sugawara. I have to admit it was a hard watch, unfortunately.

None of the 3 games we have lost have been games that we couldn’t have won with better team selection,tactics and substitutions.
We have the players with enough skill(admittedly the forward line could be stronger) but needs to be used better.
[Post edited 9 Sep 9:42]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024