Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Martin fighting for his job… 16:25 - Sep 4 with 2408 viewsdavidargyll

…according to Football Insider. End of September apparently.
Anyone know if they are in any way generally well-informed
…?
Martin fighting for his job… on 17:01 - Sep 4 with 2259 viewsTripleNiemi

Would be surprised if there was any truth in that, and to be honest not sure that is a fair crack of the whip.

Cannot imagine for one minute Sports Republic giving the guy a contract extension (when it was nuts to in the first place (but that’s another matter)) and then a couple of months later consider giving him the bullet. Mind you, perhaps they really did think another club like Plymouth Argyle might come in for him
[Post edited 4 Sep 17:02]

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

Martin fighting for his job… on 17:02 - Sep 4 with 2254 viewsGRIM

Rumours are that he's got 4 games to turn things around.
To do that he will have to back down & change his stupid philosophy of playing out from the back.
He ain't going to do that so we're stuck with him & his mistakes for another 4 matches, that's potentially another 12 points lost.
If the board aren't happy with him be brave & get rid of him now before any more damage is done.
Martin fighting for his job… on 17:07 - Sep 4 with 2231 viewsPatfromPoole

We have 3 League games in October:-

Arsenal away
Leicester home
Man City away

I am not sure any new manager would want to be coming in at the start of October and dealing with (two of) those fixtures.

If I was a betting man, I would suggest end of October would be the most likely timing.

Though if he isn't going to refine his way of playing and also stop picking his favourites, I would make the change now.

Poll: Would you take Ward-Prowse back?

Martin fighting for his job… on 17:21 - Sep 4 with 2196 viewskingslandstand1

Martin fighting for his job… on 17:01 - Sep 4 by TripleNiemi

Would be surprised if there was any truth in that, and to be honest not sure that is a fair crack of the whip.

Cannot imagine for one minute Sports Republic giving the guy a contract extension (when it was nuts to in the first place (but that’s another matter)) and then a couple of months later consider giving him the bullet. Mind you, perhaps they really did think another club like Plymouth Argyle might come in for him
[Post edited 4 Sep 17:02]

And look who they ended up with!!
Martin fighting for his job… on 17:22 - Sep 4 with 2189 viewskingslandstand1

Martin fighting for his job… on 17:02 - Sep 4 by GRIM

Rumours are that he's got 4 games to turn things around.
To do that he will have to back down & change his stupid philosophy of playing out from the back.
He ain't going to do that so we're stuck with him & his mistakes for another 4 matches, that's potentially another 12 points lost.
If the board aren't happy with him be brave & get rid of him now before any more damage is done.

And do these rumours originate from anonymous football fans forums like errr?
Martin fighting for his job… on 17:36 - Sep 4 with 2141 viewsdirk_doone

Judging from his team selection and tactics in our first 3 league games, he doesn't appear to have been fighting very hard.

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Martin fighting for his job… on 19:15 - Sep 4 with 2036 viewsGRIM

Martin fighting for his job… on 17:36 - Sep 4 by dirk_doone

Judging from his team selection and tactics in our first 3 league games, he doesn't appear to have been fighting very hard.

Why should Managers or players fight or try very hard.
They're guaranteed a full salary to the end on their ridiculously long contracts win or lose.
[Post edited 4 Sep 20:38]
Martin fighting for his job… on 19:41 - Sep 4 with 1972 viewsChesham_Saint

Martin fighting for his job… on 19:15 - Sep 4 by GRIM

Why should Managers or players fight or try very hard.
They're guaranteed a full salary to the end on their ridiculously long contracts win or lose.
[Post edited 4 Sep 20:38]

Maybe pride in their work..?

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Login to get fewer ads

Martin fighting for his job… on 22:50 - Sep 4 with 1692 viewsRon11

Martin fighting for his job… on 19:41 - Sep 4 by Chesham_Saint

Maybe pride in their work..?

Or respect for their supporters who spend their hard earned cash on tickets/season tickets thereby contributing to their vast salaries?
Martin fighting for his job… on 08:00 - Sep 5 with 1370 viewsBerber

I think this is a load of tosh. RM has not changed his attitude or approach for most of last season or this. During the summer, the owners rewarded him with an extended contract. Does anyone seriously imagine this was done without reflecting on his approach to management? Yet 3 games into the new season he is suddenly on trial? Laughable.

You will all know I have been sceptical about his appointment from before day 1, and I remain unconvinced, but SR are hard nosed businessmen, and don’t respond like emotionally distressed supporters. (I remain emotionally distressed by our predicament by the way).

Poll: How many wins this season sweepstake

Martin fighting for his job… on 08:37 - Sep 5 with 1319 viewsCity_boy

Martin fighting for his job… on 08:00 - Sep 5 by Berber

I think this is a load of tosh. RM has not changed his attitude or approach for most of last season or this. During the summer, the owners rewarded him with an extended contract. Does anyone seriously imagine this was done without reflecting on his approach to management? Yet 3 games into the new season he is suddenly on trial? Laughable.

You will all know I have been sceptical about his appointment from before day 1, and I remain unconvinced, but SR are hard nosed businessmen, and don’t respond like emotionally distressed supporters. (I remain emotionally distressed by our predicament by the way).

I think the reason he is on 'trial' as you suggest is because he shows no sign of changing and it is obvious to most that his current style and tactics will not work in this division. We only just made promotion last year, when we should have been top 2 (or 3) with that squad.

As for Sports Republic doing their due diligence, I did not see any reason for their decision to extend his contract at this stage, when he still had 2 years left and a lot to prove at this level. I would have been surprised if anyone else would have come in for him and if they did he would be have still been under contract.
[Post edited 5 Sep 8:38]
Martin fighting for his job… on 08:56 - Sep 5 with 1277 viewsgrumpy

In the end it’s a results driven business.
If we carry on losing games he will have to go.
The worst senaro is winning the odd game ,that will like a death from a thousand cuts.
Martin fighting for his job… on 09:44 - Sep 5 with 1191 viewsBuggalugs

We lost 4 in a row towards the start of last season, including a 5-0 capitulation at Sunderland followed by a 4-1 home demolition by Leicester. Many fans were wetting themselves and crying for his head then, much like they are now, some even suggesting we were in danger of getting relegated.

I've been going to Saints games for nearly 40 years and can count on one hand how many seasons we've had that can be deemed successful. We're never going to get anywhere if fans want every manager we get sacked all the time because they think they know best. We've had around 20 managers in the last 20 years ffs which is a massive contributing factor why we end up stuck with so many players the next man doesn't want, plus endless managerial compensation payouts.

Poll: How do YOU define a racist?

Martin fighting for his job… on 10:11 - Sep 5 with 1127 viewssolent_toffee

From what I can see Football Insider have hired a couple of z list goons with zero, in the know insight and peddle it for clickbait.

Everything they post seems to be utter shite.
Martin fighting for his job… on 10:15 - Sep 5 with 1111 viewsIfonly

I broadly agree in that I can't see him being sacked yet. An Xmas sacking seems possible if our position is dire, but I think the most likely is that we go down with him and he stays in charge in the Championship. The (unnecessary) extended contract showed their hand.

In addition, my view of the summer transfer business is that it was done with an eye on relegation. Only Ramsdale will definitely need to go and it will be easy to find a buyer for him. They've made sure that relegation won't be such a financial disaster this time. So, I don't think we'll see the panic reactions that we saw in our last PL season.

If he is sacked in the next few weeks, it would be the final confirmation for me that SR haven't got a clue what they're doing. At the moment, I'm giving them credit for having a plan. I don't think it's a good plan, but at least it exists. If they get rid of RM now it would show that they don't even have that.
Martin fighting for his job… on 10:28 - Sep 5 with 1093 viewsGRIM

Martin fighting for his job… on 10:15 - Sep 5 by Ifonly

I broadly agree in that I can't see him being sacked yet. An Xmas sacking seems possible if our position is dire, but I think the most likely is that we go down with him and he stays in charge in the Championship. The (unnecessary) extended contract showed their hand.

In addition, my view of the summer transfer business is that it was done with an eye on relegation. Only Ramsdale will definitely need to go and it will be easy to find a buyer for him. They've made sure that relegation won't be such a financial disaster this time. So, I don't think we'll see the panic reactions that we saw in our last PL season.

If he is sacked in the next few weeks, it would be the final confirmation for me that SR haven't got a clue what they're doing. At the moment, I'm giving them credit for having a plan. I don't think it's a good plan, but at least it exists. If they get rid of RM now it would show that they don't even have that.

But surely for the sake of the club RM has to understand that we cannot continue with his principles of playing out from the back.
If he cares about the club he should forget he's ego & do what is necessary to get results.
He cannot continue with his suicidal system of playing out from the back.
Get back to basics & we'll be OK.
Martin fighting for his job… on 10:35 - Sep 5 with 1075 viewsIfonly

Martin fighting for his job… on 10:28 - Sep 5 by GRIM

But surely for the sake of the club RM has to understand that we cannot continue with his principles of playing out from the back.
If he cares about the club he should forget he's ego & do what is necessary to get results.
He cannot continue with his suicidal system of playing out from the back.
Get back to basics & we'll be OK.

I agree but:
- what SHOULD happen and what WILL happen are different things
- RM probably doesn't care much about the club. I don't blame him for that, he's a professional
- I can't see him doing what you and I might think are "the basics". For him, playing out from the back is part of the basics
Martin fighting for his job… on 10:45 - Sep 5 with 1056 viewsSaintNick

Most of the Russell Martin's job are on the line rumours come from pundits such as Richard Keys giving their opinion.

Whilst it is almost certainly true that SR & the club's board will have a list of options they will approach if it comes to sacking Martin, they will not be panicking yet, they will just be prepared.

Richard keys is just basing his opinions on what usually happens in these cases, a manager loses 3 games in a row and he is under pressure, lose another 3 and he is in trouble

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Martin fighting for his job… on 11:00 - Sep 5 with 1045 views1885_SFC

"but SR are hard nosed businessmen, and don’t respond like emotionally distressed supporters.

Yeah, they ditched the hopeless Nathan Jones due to poor results & Russell Martin will follow suit if results carry on as they are. You can't keep losing every week when the board have just funded you with £100M worth of players.

I think every fan on this forum (just about) is willing to give RM more time. But if he goes another half-a-dozen league games without any success by playing his favourites, ignoring better players on the bench, and doesn't change his stubborn ways of playing by becoming more flexible, then 'SR, the hard nosed businessmen' will overlook the fancy, possession-based football that has ultimately proved fruitless by sacking him.

I'd give him the next 5 PL games: Man Utd (H), Ipswich (H), Bournemouth (A), Arsenal (A), and Leicester (H).

It's an old, old cliché but still a relevant one ; football is a results driven business.

Old School is Cool

Martin fighting for his job… on 11:03 - Sep 5 with 1035 viewsGRIM

Martin fighting for his job… on 10:45 - Sep 5 by SaintNick

Most of the Russell Martin's job are on the line rumours come from pundits such as Richard Keys giving their opinion.

Whilst it is almost certainly true that SR & the club's board will have a list of options they will approach if it comes to sacking Martin, they will not be panicking yet, they will just be prepared.

Richard keys is just basing his opinions on what usually happens in these cases, a manager loses 3 games in a row and he is under pressure, lose another 3 and he is in trouble

Do any of us on this Forum respect or care what Richard Keys thinks.
All we care about is the future of our Club.
Martin fighting for his job… on 11:29 - Sep 5 with 994 viewsIfonly

Martin fighting for his job… on 11:00 - Sep 5 by 1885_SFC

"but SR are hard nosed businessmen, and don’t respond like emotionally distressed supporters.

Yeah, they ditched the hopeless Nathan Jones due to poor results & Russell Martin will follow suit if results carry on as they are. You can't keep losing every week when the board have just funded you with £100M worth of players.

I think every fan on this forum (just about) is willing to give RM more time. But if he goes another half-a-dozen league games without any success by playing his favourites, ignoring better players on the bench, and doesn't change his stubborn ways of playing by becoming more flexible, then 'SR, the hard nosed businessmen' will overlook the fancy, possession-based football that has ultimately proved fruitless by sacking him.

I'd give him the next 5 PL games: Man Utd (H), Ipswich (H), Bournemouth (A), Arsenal (A), and Leicester (H).

It's an old, old cliché but still a relevant one ; football is a results driven business.

Yeah but he'll scrape some points together over that run and survive. In that run we have 3 games that we should be getting results from if we're to have any chance of survival. He'll probably get some points and then be showing "signs of improvement". After all, it can't get much worse.

How many points do you think:
- we will get in those 5 games?
- will be enough for RM to keep his job?
Martin fighting for his job… on 11:55 - Sep 5 with 931 viewsDorsetIan

Pretty sure it wasn't part of the SR plan to get relegated the first time and tbh they got pretty lucky getting back at the first attempt.

For all their loyalty to RM, they really won't want to get relegated again, so they will replace him if/when they feel they have to.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Martin fighting for his job… on 12:09 - Sep 5 with 901 viewsLondonSaint76

Martin fighting for his job… on 10:11 - Sep 5 by solent_toffee

From what I can see Football Insider have hired a couple of z list goons with zero, in the know insight and peddle it for clickbait.

Everything they post seems to be utter shite.

Agreed ST - and it might not even be Z list goons, it would not surprise me if much of their content is A.I. generated which is entirely possible these days and would require minimal human input whilst taking garbage articles to a new level of bullsh#ttery.

Poll: How will we get on against Leicester City?

Martin fighting for his job… on 13:01 - Sep 5 with 798 viewsdirk_doone

Martin fighting for his job… on 17:07 - Sep 4 by PatfromPoole

We have 3 League games in October:-

Arsenal away
Leicester home
Man City away

I am not sure any new manager would want to be coming in at the start of October and dealing with (two of) those fixtures.

If I was a betting man, I would suggest end of October would be the most likely timing.

Though if he isn't going to refine his way of playing and also stop picking his favourites, I would make the change now.

Has any team ever got through to the end of October with no points at all? (and stayed up)? What manager would want to come here then? Not a very good one.

Of course, if Martin starts picking our best 11 players to start games and stops the suicidal passing around at the back AND finds a centre forward, we might get points before then, in which case he wouldn't be sacked anyway.
[Post edited 5 Sep 13:09]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Martin fighting for his job… on 14:28 - Sep 5 with 682 viewsBerber

Martin fighting for his job… on 11:00 - Sep 5 by 1885_SFC

With Nathan Jones, it soon became clear that he did not have a plan A let alone a plan B. he very quickly syarted blaming the players, and his only response to how to get better was, “We have to try harder, be more intense.”

Whoever identified him as a candidate and or interviewed him for the job must have been booking their holidays at the same time. From a player perspective, they knew they were on a hiding to nothing, as jones wasn’t bringing anything to the party, and a team that desperately needed help, motivation and better ways of doing things were left to dream it up for themselves.

Even incompetent recruiters had to admit is was a big mistake to appoint him. if i was the owner, I’d have told the CEO to get his finger out of his bottom and sort that mess out.

Regarding how much more time RM gets, I think it is way too early to make a decision on whether he should continue, given what the owners have decided and done over the past 15 months. And that is not what I would have decided. But we are where we are. Look at Everton. The squad performed for Dyche last season, and will undoubtedly do so again. Every team (almost) has a dodgy patch in the season. Who knows if Everton are just having theirs early? Far too soon to say one way or the other, and so it is with Southampton and RM.

I would agree that we have to get a win in the next 4-5 games though./

Poll: How many wins this season sweepstake

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024