Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Solution Is Clear For Russell Martin If He Is To Stay In His Job 09:45 - Sep 3 with 1533 viewsSaintsNews

The Solution Is Clear For Russell Martin If He Is To Stay In His Job 3rd Sep 2024 09:43
The first solution to the problems for Southampton manager Russell Martin is clear, quite literally the word "Clear" all but one of the 5 goals conceded in the Premier League have been because of a failure to "Clear" the ball under pressure, but that is not his only problem. 18

If you want to remove this post from the board index, just click the hide post icon below. To hide all our news posts click the ignore user icon under the avatar.
The Solution Is Clear For Russell Martin If He Is To Stay In His Job on 10:11 - Sep 3 with 1467 viewssaint901

The article makes the implicit point that the same determination/stubbornness that RM displays in playing possession football without the quality of player to do so and in picking Stephens for roles he is unsuited for, is now hampering the term and costing us goals.

The players are scared of putting a boot through the ball to remove it from dangerous areas, choosing instead to "follow orders" and pass their way out of trouble. Sometimes the agricultural approach is correct. The players however seem to fear doing that and I'm wondering if it's because of fear of being dropped.

Comparisons with other PL teams is not very helpful but even a few weeks of MoTD says that we and perhaps one other (City) play a possession game. The fact that they are top of the league and we are bottom speaks volumes for how difficult that style is and how easily it can be overcome if you don't have quality players.

If the players are fearful of RM, he has a problem. It's not as bad as the players not wanting to play for him, quite the opposite. They want to play but they need more freedom to make decisions especially when in pressure situations.

Perversely I think the forwards can help the defenders by offering runs into spaces a long ball might be played. That also requires a bit of courage and a freedom to play which is some obviously lacking at the moment.
The Solution Is Clear For Russell Martin If He Is To Stay In His Job on 10:14 - Sep 3 with 1458 viewssaintwizzler

The mistakes have come from players who know the system.
They played it last year.
Going up a league shouldn’t factor into these mistakes.
They’d be punished at whatever level they are at.

McCarthy
Aribo
Harwood-Bellis
Bednarek

Time to stop the pissing about at the back.
It seem to end when Bazunu was injured last season and his replacement took no risks.

Row Z please.

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

The Solution Is Clear For Russell Martin If He Is To Stay In His Job on 11:01 - Sep 3 with 1371 viewsdirk_doone

A brain transplant?

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

The Solution Is Clear For Russell Martin If He Is To Stay In His Job on 11:31 - Sep 3 with 1323 viewsHeisenberg

Played 3. Lost 3. It will more than likely turn into played 4 lost 4.

If we are have any chance of staying up RM either needs to swallow his pride and change things or he needs to go. I fear his arrogance will continue until it’s too late.

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously'
Poll: Who should get a statue outside the old girl ?

The Solution Is Clear For Russell Martin If He Is To Stay In His Job on 11:37 - Sep 3 with 1307 viewsSaintNick

The Solution Is Clear For Russell Martin If He Is To Stay In His Job on 10:11 - Sep 3 by saint901

The article makes the implicit point that the same determination/stubbornness that RM displays in playing possession football without the quality of player to do so and in picking Stephens for roles he is unsuited for, is now hampering the term and costing us goals.

The players are scared of putting a boot through the ball to remove it from dangerous areas, choosing instead to "follow orders" and pass their way out of trouble. Sometimes the agricultural approach is correct. The players however seem to fear doing that and I'm wondering if it's because of fear of being dropped.

Comparisons with other PL teams is not very helpful but even a few weeks of MoTD says that we and perhaps one other (City) play a possession game. The fact that they are top of the league and we are bottom speaks volumes for how difficult that style is and how easily it can be overcome if you don't have quality players.

If the players are fearful of RM, he has a problem. It's not as bad as the players not wanting to play for him, quite the opposite. They want to play but they need more freedom to make decisions especially when in pressure situations.

Perversely I think the forwards can help the defenders by offering runs into spaces a long ball might be played. That also requires a bit of courage and a freedom to play which is some obviously lacking at the moment.

It should be noted that it is not a fact, merely a supposition on my part, i also think that most teams play a version of it, but they fine tune it to their own abilities and that is what we need to do

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

The Solution Is Clear For Russell Martin If He Is To Stay In His Job on 11:39 - Sep 3 with 1301 viewsgrumpy

What I don’t like is he will not admit his system has flaws.The defence looks nervous.
The Solution Is Clear For Russell Martin If He Is To Stay In His Job on 11:42 - Sep 3 with 1293 viewsSaintNick

The Solution Is Clear For Russell Martin If He Is To Stay In His Job on 10:14 - Sep 3 by saintwizzler

The mistakes have come from players who know the system.
They played it last year.
Going up a league shouldn’t factor into these mistakes.
They’d be punished at whatever level they are at.

McCarthy
Aribo
Harwood-Bellis
Bednarek

Time to stop the pissing about at the back.
It seem to end when Bazunu was injured last season and his replacement took no risks.

Row Z please.

Whilst I agree with your points, I would point out it didnt end when Bazunu got injured, initially we played it and it was clear that McCarthy was not competent enough, things got worse before they got better,

It was only in the final game of the regular season at Leeds, after a run of bad results, Leicester especially, that we seemed to stop putting him in dodgy situations and not playing the ball to him virtually on our own goaline and we reaped the rewards in the play offs

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

The Solution Is Clear For Russell Martin If He Is To Stay In His Job on 11:50 - Sep 3 with 1264 viewsPatfromPoole

The Solution Is Clear For Russell Martin If He Is To Stay In His Job on 11:42 - Sep 3 by SaintNick

Whilst I agree with your points, I would point out it didnt end when Bazunu got injured, initially we played it and it was clear that McCarthy was not competent enough, things got worse before they got better,

It was only in the final game of the regular season at Leeds, after a run of bad results, Leicester especially, that we seemed to stop putting him in dodgy situations and not playing the ball to him virtually on our own goaline and we reaped the rewards in the play offs

That Leeds away game, McCarthy repeatedly did long lofted passes to Che Adams, which beat the Leeds press.

Che would hold the ball up, and up the pitch as a team we went.

Ramsdale is perfectly competent at doing likewise, we just need a target man to hold the ball up.

This may have to be Brereton.

Poll: Would you take Ward-Prowse back?

Login to get fewer ads

The Solution Is Clear For Russell Martin If He Is To Stay In His Job on 11:51 - Sep 3 with 1259 viewsDorsetIan

At the start of last season we also conceded a fair few goals by p!issing about at the back but then that stopped and we went on a great run.

Certainly we need a keeper who has the ability to play this way, so expecting McCarthy to play like this was daft, and quickly changed last season, but now we've got a keep with good feet again. And Bellis, Bednarek, KWP are all used to this too.

We're up against faster and stronger opposition in the press, there will be a few nerves in the mix and Bellis is playing at this level for the first time. So a step up is needed but that'll take time. But I don't see why, necessarily, we can't continue to play this way, at least for a few games longer.

And also conceding the odd goal from a mistake is not going to be so costly once we start scoring regularly at the other end.

Whose to say playing any other way is going to reap rewards? We've had more success with RM than anyone else recently.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

The Solution Is Clear For Russell Martin If He Is To Stay In His Job on 12:02 - Sep 3 with 1238 viewsIfonly

The Solution Is Clear For Russell Martin If He Is To Stay In His Job on 11:50 - Sep 3 by PatfromPoole

That Leeds away game, McCarthy repeatedly did long lofted passes to Che Adams, which beat the Leeds press.

Che would hold the ball up, and up the pitch as a team we went.

Ramsdale is perfectly competent at doing likewise, we just need a target man to hold the ball up.

This may have to be Brereton.

Agreed, but as you might have said before, Ramsdale is able to do more than that. He can do more than kick it straight up the pitch like McCarthy. If we have someone breaking free in a wide position he'll be able to find him. If we have a free man anywhere up the pitch, he has a good chance of finding him and if it goes wrong, no problem.

If OTOH all our men up the pitch are well marked, then we must have free men at the back, in which case playing out from the back becomes a reasonable option.

Above all we need variety to keep the opposition guessing. Let's stop doing the same old, same old.
[Post edited 3 Sep 12:05]
The Solution Is Clear For Russell Martin If He Is To Stay In His Job on 12:43 - Sep 3 with 1125 viewsBridders2

The Solution Is Clear For Russell Martin If He Is To Stay In His Job on 11:51 - Sep 3 by DorsetIan

At the start of last season we also conceded a fair few goals by p!issing about at the back but then that stopped and we went on a great run.

Certainly we need a keeper who has the ability to play this way, so expecting McCarthy to play like this was daft, and quickly changed last season, but now we've got a keep with good feet again. And Bellis, Bednarek, KWP are all used to this too.

We're up against faster and stronger opposition in the press, there will be a few nerves in the mix and Bellis is playing at this level for the first time. So a step up is needed but that'll take time. But I don't see why, necessarily, we can't continue to play this way, at least for a few games longer.

And also conceding the odd goal from a mistake is not going to be so costly once we start scoring regularly at the other end.

Whose to say playing any other way is going to reap rewards? We've had more success with RM than anyone else recently.

Bournemouth played the same way under Parker, look what happened to him, Burnley the same, as Nick says it's got to be tweeted asap we can't afford to drop more points in this league. 3 more showings like that and Rust could be dust.
The Solution Is Clear For Russell Martin If He Is To Stay In His Job on 17:16 - Sep 3 with 924 viewsfelly1

I think THB will be the guy to drop out if Martin goes for a back four.
He's been the poorest of three mediocre CBs and that's been reflected by Martin subbing him off early in the last couple games.

The best solution for Martin to keep his job may well be down to the realisation that the likes of Smallbone and in particular Armstrong are not good enough for the Prem.

Smallbone may come good but he looks like a back up player to me and surely either Cornet , Dibling or Archer offer more quality, threat and goals than Armstrong will, and it's not like he hasn't had the chance to prove himself at this level.
The Solution Is Clear For Russell Martin If He Is To Stay In His Job on 17:32 - Sep 3 with 876 viewsgrumpy

I’d be happy to see Armstrong on the bench.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024