Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Southampton At Brentford The Damning Verdict 09:40 - Sep 2 with 1777 viewsSaintsNews

Southampton At Brentford The Damning Verdict 2nd Sep 2024 09:38
How does a side that had twice the possession of the other, as well as a similar amount of attempts on goal, lose 3-1 ? Very simple, they keep making mistakes when trying to play their way out of trouble when it isn't on. 27

If you want to remove this post from the board index, just click the hide post icon below. To hide all our news posts click the ignore user icon under the avatar.
Southampton At Brentford The Damning Verdict on 10:01 - Sep 2 with 1668 viewssaintwizzler

Russell Martin needs to tell his defenders and keeper to stop playing it out from the back.

Newcastle - McCarthy kicks it straight to Isak who squares it to Joe Linton. Goal.
Forest - Aribo fannying around with it on the edge of the box. Loses possession. Goal.
Brentford - Two goals gifted to the home side by bad play from the defenders.

CLEAR THE FÚCKING BALL.

How many more games do we have to watch this!?

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

Southampton At Brentford The Damning Verdict on 10:12 - Sep 2 with 1628 viewsPatfromPoole

Southampton At Brentford The Damning Verdict on 10:01 - Sep 2 by saintwizzler

Russell Martin needs to tell his defenders and keeper to stop playing it out from the back.

Newcastle - McCarthy kicks it straight to Isak who squares it to Joe Linton. Goal.
Forest - Aribo fannying around with it on the edge of the box. Loses possession. Goal.
Brentford - Two goals gifted to the home side by bad play from the defenders.

CLEAR THE FÚCKING BALL.

How many more games do we have to watch this!?

We even had a load of this at the Oxford friendly when Edwards and Wood played at CB, so they’re no good at this caper either.

Poll: Would you take Ward-Prowse back?

Southampton At Brentford The Damning Verdict on 10:16 - Sep 2 with 1619 viewsPatfromPoole

I genuinely think we would be better off with possession of between 30% and 40% in games.

Let the oppo do all the tippy tappy stuff, and we pick them off when they cock up.

We are an absolute dream to play against at the moment.

Until the manager stops stubbornly sticking to this madness, we have a lot more of this to come.

Poll: Would you take Ward-Prowse back?

Southampton At Brentford The Damning Verdict on 10:21 - Sep 2 with 1606 viewsIfonly

Southampton At Brentford The Damning Verdict on 10:16 - Sep 2 by PatfromPoole

I genuinely think we would be better off with possession of between 30% and 40% in games.

Let the oppo do all the tippy tappy stuff, and we pick them off when they cock up.

We are an absolute dream to play against at the moment.

Until the manager stops stubbornly sticking to this madness, we have a lot more of this to come.

Playing as a counter attacking team with 35% possession is exactly what we should be trying to do on our budget. Rather than trying to copy Man City in everything, we should try and copy Brentford. They survive in the Prem and give their fans some excitement by being smart. Smart about tactics and smart about the recruitment that suits those tactics. Brentford's owners are smart, ours are stupid.
Southampton At Brentford The Damning Verdict on 10:26 - Sep 2 with 1586 views1885_SFC

It's clear that RM has his favourites and that's why we're getting the same results with the same performances. I personally think he's trying to give the team that gained promotion a go through his stubbornness and misguided loyalty - even though several of the players simply aren't good enough for the Premier League.

SR have backed him in the Summer transfer window (bar perhaps that experienced striker we desperately needed) but you get the feeling that RM likes to get to know the new players personally & mentally before playing them. I reckon he likes to mentally assess them, find out what and who they are in their brain over a period of weeks before he thinks "Yeah, this player could do a job". Meanwhile, we plod on each week with the same old results while Russell holds a 'new player seminar' for all the new squad members, week after week after week.

Truth is, RM is a somewhat strange person with strange ways. He strikes me as a narcissist and someone who is so blinkered, so fixated on one formula, that he'll never be told what to do or accept advice form anyone. It's his way - take it or leave it. That's fine when it's working... but it clearly isn't. And worryingly, SR I feel, will just leave it to him to it because they themselves have a poor record of appointing managers ever since Ralph left. Yes, RM got us promoted and we are all truly thankful for that. But so did club legend Nigel Adkins... and look what happened to him when the board back then were ruthless & knew what it took to manage in the top flight!

Old School is Cool

Southampton At Brentford The Damning Verdict on 10:34 - Sep 2 with 1549 viewsButty101

It cant be a shock to anyone. We have virtually the same defence that wasnt good enough last season. Hopefully Ramsdale can be the leader we need.

History says that Russel Martin cant set up a defence. All his teams conceded bucket loads.

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Southampton At Brentford The Damning Verdict on 12:25 - Sep 2 with 1296 viewsGRIM

Southampton At Brentford The Damning Verdict on 10:34 - Sep 2 by Butty101

It cant be a shock to anyone. We have virtually the same defence that wasnt good enough last season. Hopefully Ramsdale can be the leader we need.

History says that Russel Martin cant set up a defence. All his teams conceded bucket loads.

Considering that RM spent all of his career playing as a defender he should understand the basics of defending, but he obviously doesn't.
Worrying isn't it.
Southampton At Brentford The Damning Verdict on 14:54 - Sep 2 with 1119 viewsUTS1885

The opposition from Neawcastle then Forest and now Brentford will have all done midweek training based around us always playing out from the back and applying the pressure. You could see that straightaway on Saturday and nothing was done to change it. The worst part on Saturday was Martin more or less starting 3-5-2 after it flopped against Forest and he admitted to that. a week ago.

So he will have to sort out the fomration and have players in their rught roles first and clearly something needs to be done about the shambolic one trick playing out from the back.

Smallbone and Stephens are both on sub duty against United
Login to get fewer ads

Southampton At Brentford The Damning Verdict on 16:50 - Sep 2 with 972 viewsLondonSaint76

Southampton At Brentford The Damning Verdict on 10:26 - Sep 2 by 1885_SFC

It's clear that RM has his favourites and that's why we're getting the same results with the same performances. I personally think he's trying to give the team that gained promotion a go through his stubbornness and misguided loyalty - even though several of the players simply aren't good enough for the Premier League.

SR have backed him in the Summer transfer window (bar perhaps that experienced striker we desperately needed) but you get the feeling that RM likes to get to know the new players personally & mentally before playing them. I reckon he likes to mentally assess them, find out what and who they are in their brain over a period of weeks before he thinks "Yeah, this player could do a job". Meanwhile, we plod on each week with the same old results while Russell holds a 'new player seminar' for all the new squad members, week after week after week.

Truth is, RM is a somewhat strange person with strange ways. He strikes me as a narcissist and someone who is so blinkered, so fixated on one formula, that he'll never be told what to do or accept advice form anyone. It's his way - take it or leave it. That's fine when it's working... but it clearly isn't. And worryingly, SR I feel, will just leave it to him to it because they themselves have a poor record of appointing managers ever since Ralph left. Yes, RM got us promoted and we are all truly thankful for that. But so did club legend Nigel Adkins... and look what happened to him when the board back then were ruthless & knew what it took to manage in the top flight!

1885 SFC, I have just been reading an article where RM explains (post Brentford defeat) why Tyler Dibling isn’t in the starting XI and you are quite right when you say RM is giving the players that got us promoted preferential treatment but quite a way into the article (as it is primarily about Dibling) there is just a small chink of light at the end of the long dark tunnel that we seem to be in that indicates that possibly, just maybe, RM has seen the light - although in the final sentence he gives himself a bit of a get out clause as it will be his opinion as to who ‘is in the best place’ but I am going to stay positive and keep my fingers crossed that he has now realised that he needs to forget about last season and start playing his best XI 🙂

The article says: Martin went on to explain that the players who got Southampton promoted have deserved their chance but admitted he can’t afford to be sentimental, adding: “I hope people understand that the guys in the team have been amazing for us. So there’s a level of credit that they’ve built up.

“But now, after three defeats, it doesn’t really mean much, unfortunately, in football it moves on quickly and now it’s about the best guys on the pitch that are in the best place.

Link to article below:
https://www.southamptonfc.news/news/russell-martin-explains-why-incredible-south

Poll: How will we get on against Leicester City?

Southampton At Brentford The Damning Verdict on 18:26 - Sep 2 with 814 views1885_SFC

Southampton At Brentford The Damning Verdict on 16:50 - Sep 2 by LondonSaint76

1885 SFC, I have just been reading an article where RM explains (post Brentford defeat) why Tyler Dibling isn’t in the starting XI and you are quite right when you say RM is giving the players that got us promoted preferential treatment but quite a way into the article (as it is primarily about Dibling) there is just a small chink of light at the end of the long dark tunnel that we seem to be in that indicates that possibly, just maybe, RM has seen the light - although in the final sentence he gives himself a bit of a get out clause as it will be his opinion as to who ‘is in the best place’ but I am going to stay positive and keep my fingers crossed that he has now realised that he needs to forget about last season and start playing his best XI 🙂

The article says: Martin went on to explain that the players who got Southampton promoted have deserved their chance but admitted he can’t afford to be sentimental, adding: “I hope people understand that the guys in the team have been amazing for us. So there’s a level of credit that they’ve built up.

“But now, after three defeats, it doesn’t really mean much, unfortunately, in football it moves on quickly and now it’s about the best guys on the pitch that are in the best place.

Link to article below:
https://www.southamptonfc.news/news/russell-martin-explains-why-incredible-south

Well, we live in hope.

I look forward to a 'new look' Saints very soon... but won't hold my breath. The bloke loves Jack Stephens & Will Smallbone and I just can't see him dropping them. One maybe - but not both.

Old School is Cool

Southampton At Brentford The Damning Verdict on 18:52 - Sep 2 with 764 viewsSouthSeaSaint

To be fair RM seems to have encouraged a tight dressing room mentality.
I guess that's great when you are winning but cracks will appear if the results continue to pan out as they are doing atm.
Southampton At Brentford The Damning Verdict on 18:56 - Sep 2 with 754 viewsgrumpy

I would have a lot more respect for him if he just said HE got it wrong.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024