Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mission to Burnley - Season 2 08:49 - Sep 1 with 2783 viewsPatfromPoole

In his commentary yesterday, Garry Birtles kept saying that we are very much like Burnley from last season, and destined for the same fate given the total stupidity of the tippy-tappy stuff around our own penalty area.

This series is now available on SKY, showing behind the scenes stuff from Burnley last season.

I think of watching this as a bit like an anaesthetic before horrible stuff at the dentist’s.

Might see if I can stomach the first episode….

Poll: Would you take Ward-Prowse back?

Mission to Burnley - Season 2 on 09:35 - Sep 1 with 2639 viewsIfonly

Just watched MOTD and Danny Murphy said a similar thing. I think his words were:

"They're not good enough to keep playing this way. If they keep doing this they'll end up with the same fate as Burnley". I think those were his only words on Saints and they were said very dismissively, like "goodbye".

To me the key words are "not good enough" to play like this - not that it can't be done with outstanding players, just that it shouldn't be tried with below average PL players against a PL level press.
Mission to Burnley - Season 2 on 09:42 - Sep 1 with 2609 viewsPatfromPoole

Mission to Burnley - Season 2 on 09:35 - Sep 1 by Ifonly

Just watched MOTD and Danny Murphy said a similar thing. I think his words were:

"They're not good enough to keep playing this way. If they keep doing this they'll end up with the same fate as Burnley". I think those were his only words on Saints and they were said very dismissively, like "goodbye".

To me the key words are "not good enough" to play like this - not that it can't be done with outstanding players, just that it shouldn't be tried with below average PL players against a PL level press.

This is where pragmatism should triumph over idealism.

However, stubbornness seems to trump both of those.

Mission to Burnley - Season 2 on 09:54 - Sep 1 with 2570 viewssaintwizzler

Even that dull Kunt can see it.
Why cant Russell Martin?

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

Mission to Burnley - Season 2 on 11:44 - Sep 1 with 2364 viewskernow

What does a talking head like Murphy know about coaching players and building a team?
Mission to Burnley - Season 2 on 12:23 - Sep 1 with 2298 viewsBerber

Mission to Burnley - Season 2 on 11:44 - Sep 1 by kernow

What does a talking head like Murphy know about coaching players and building a team?

He was a successful professional with clubs at various levels of resource and skills. He usually talks sense, and what he is saying is echoed by people who know, as well as a significant number of Saints fans. It is clear that the player in possession often has no viable passing option because we are too static, of the player doesn’t know what options are available, hence some of the very silly mistakes yeasterday.

Poll: How many wins this season sweepstake

Mission to Burnley - Season 2 on 12:58 - Sep 1 with 2214 viewskingslandstand1

Mission to Burnley - Season 2 on 12:23 - Sep 1 by Berber

He was a successful professional with clubs at various levels of resource and skills. He usually talks sense, and what he is saying is echoed by people who know, as well as a significant number of Saints fans. It is clear that the player in possession often has no viable passing option because we are too static, of the player doesn’t know what options are available, hence some of the very silly mistakes yeasterday.

Absolutely. Sorry Kernow but not sure if you saw motd, but Murphy, as well as Joe Hart, with got it absolutely right, we are not good enough to play this way
Mission to Burnley - Season 2 on 13:06 - Sep 1 with 2190 viewsdirk_doone

Mission to Burnley - Season 2 on 12:58 - Sep 1 by kingslandstand1

Absolutely. Sorry Kernow but not sure if you saw motd, but Murphy, as well as Joe Hart, with got it absolutely right, we are not good enough to play this way

And Russell Martin isn't good enough to manage this way in the world of top flight football, where any flaws will be ruthlessly exploited by opposition managers, every one of whom will have his players primed to intercept the sideways and backwards passes we make around our own penalty area.

The Man United players will already be practising how they're going to score the goals we'll gift them. They'll be shown videos of how our passes have been picked off by other teams and which of our players are most likely to give the ball away. They'll know our left flank is particularly vulnerable. Martin is making it that easy for them with his naive tactics and team selection.
[Post edited 1 Sep 13:19]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Mission to Burnley - Season 2 on 13:21 - Sep 1 with 2122 viewskernow

You may be right but it will interesting to see how Vincent Kompany progresses with better players.
Login to get fewer ads

Mission to Burnley - Season 2 on 13:31 - Sep 1 with 2090 viewsBerber

Mission to Burnley - Season 2 on 13:06 - Sep 1 by dirk_doone

And Russell Martin isn't good enough to manage this way in the world of top flight football, where any flaws will be ruthlessly exploited by opposition managers, every one of whom will have his players primed to intercept the sideways and backwards passes we make around our own penalty area.

The Man United players will already be practising how they're going to score the goals we'll gift them. They'll be shown videos of how our passes have been picked off by other teams and which of our players are most likely to give the ball away. They'll know our left flank is particularly vulnerable. Martin is making it that easy for them with his naive tactics and team selection.
[Post edited 1 Sep 13:19]

And Rashford loves to score against us.

Poll: How many wins this season sweepstake

Mission to Burnley - Season 2 on 08:39 - Sep 2 with 1577 viewsdirk_doone

Mission to Burnley - Season 2 on 13:31 - Sep 1 by Berber

And Rashford loves to score against us.

Zirkzee is very likely to profit from one of our misplaced passes. In fact these sideways and backwards passes we do in front of out goal will only benefit one team and it's not ours.
[Post edited 2 Sep 8:41]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Mission to Burnley - Season 2 on 15:52 - Sep 2 with 1392 viewssaint901

To my way of thinking the TV "pundits" are just trained parrots who repeat what those who think about the game they see in front of them have said, usually in newspapers.

Murphy was a bang average player and worse pundit. Gary Birtles - forgot he even existed and is certainly not visible to people like me. (I don't and never will have Sky).

I'd be interested in what Moyes might think.
Mission to Burnley - Season 2 on 16:03 - Sep 2 with 1366 viewsPatfromPoole

Mission to Burnley - Season 2 on 15:52 - Sep 2 by saint901

To my way of thinking the TV "pundits" are just trained parrots who repeat what those who think about the game they see in front of them have said, usually in newspapers.

Murphy was a bang average player and worse pundit. Gary Birtles - forgot he even existed and is certainly not visible to people like me. (I don't and never will have Sky).

I'd be interested in what Moyes might think.

Danny Murphy played 9 times for England.

Garry Birtles is a misery of the highest order in his Saturday afternoon commentaries, but he does talk sense.

Mission to Burnley - Season 2 on 16:11 - Sep 2 with 1360 viewsPatfromPoole

Mission to Burnley - Season 2 on 16:03 - Sep 2 by PatfromPoole

Danny Murphy played 9 times for England.

Garry Birtles is a misery of the highest order in his Saturday afternoon commentaries, but he does talk sense.

TBF Danny Murphy played for England at a time when we had Scholes, Beckham, Gerrard and Lampard.

So getting 9 caps as a midfielder at that time is not to be sniffed at.

Mission to Burnley - Season 2 on 15:46 - Sep 3 with 1110 viewssaint901

Doesn't make him anything other than a water carrier for those who can play and I see little in his post playing days which equip him for telling others how it's done.
Mission to Burnley - Season 2 on 00:52 - Sep 4 with 973 viewssledger

Mission to Burnley - Season 2 on 15:46 - Sep 3 by saint901

Doesn't make him anything other than a water carrier for those who can play and I see little in his post playing days which equip him for telling others how it's done.

do you agree or disagree with him?
Mission to Burnley - Season 2 on 12:03 - Sep 4 with 854 viewskernow

Agree with him?…seldom.
Mission to Burnley - Season 2 on 18:01 - Sep 4 with 776 viewssledger

Mission to Burnley - Season 2 on 12:03 - Sep 4 by kernow

Agree with him?…seldom.

is he right on saints though
Mission to Burnley - Season 2 on 06:13 - Sep 5 with 692 viewskernow

Saints need to up their game significantly. Anyone with eyes can see that.
“Not good enough” ? At the moment not.
Mission to Burnley - Season 2 on 08:44 - Sep 5 with 586 viewsButty101

Mission to Burnley - Season 2 on 16:11 - Sep 2 by PatfromPoole

TBF Danny Murphy played for England at a time when we had Scholes, Beckham, Gerrard and Lampard.

So getting 9 caps as a midfielder at that time is not to be sniffed at.

Gary Neville probably played a 100 times for England and he was a shite manager. Ditto Lampard Rooney.

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Mission to Burnley - Season 2 on 15:42 - Sep 5 with 464 viewssledger

Mission to Burnley - Season 2 on 06:13 - Sep 5 by kernow

Saints need to up their game significantly. Anyone with eyes can see that.
“Not good enough” ? At the moment not.

so murphy is correct in what he said
Mission to Burnley - Season 2 on 18:09 - Sep 5 with 417 viewskernow

Mission to Burnley - Season 2 on 15:42 - Sep 5 by sledger

so murphy is correct in what he said

Maybe, it remains to be seen.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024