Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
!!!!!!!!!! Russell Martin out !!!!!!!!!!! 16:59 - Aug 31 with 10162 viewsI_would

We're sick of this s**t week after week.

Poll: How many players should RH play at the back on Saturday?

!!!!!!!!!! Russell Martin out !!!!!!!!!!! on 09:44 - Sep 1 with 1866 viewssolent_toffee

You might end up with Dyche if the timing is right.
!!!!!!!!!! Russell Martin out !!!!!!!!!!! on 09:55 - Sep 1 with 1804 viewssaintwizzler

!!!!!!!!!! Russell Martin out !!!!!!!!!!! on 09:44 - Sep 1 by solent_toffee

You might end up with Dyche if the timing is right.

Sports Republic would never employ someone like Dyche.
Too normal for their liking.

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

!!!!!!!!!! Russell Martin out !!!!!!!!!!! on 10:40 - Sep 1 with 1713 viewsSaintEPW

Constantly wishing to sack a Manager every time we see results we don’t like is clearly utterly Bonkers. We would end up with 4 or 5 new managers every season.

Yes - as fans we hate losing - we get frustrated - yes Saints results are important to us - but surely we can’t really believe that changing your manager every time you are unhappy makes any sense. Yet over 50% of us feel he should be sacked.

This is with 10 brand new players + £100m + invested + with few players with Premier League experience + many young players.

What are Realistic Expectations - Magical Management ??? - short term defensive set ups ??? - hoofing the ball long ?????? High Hassenhutl Pressing/running around very fast ????? ( we sacked him too)

Last season - it took a lot of games for the full squad of players to get into the pattern of play - which is hard. When they did - this manager had the LONGEST EVER successful set of results

The player errors are clear - the method of play is hard to get. They NEED support and time from all of us to get this right. He is protecting the players by taking the flak from us fans by saying he will stick to the system. Last season - as he and the squad evolved - he adjusted - but that takes time.

Short term approaches to playing the game - will get short term results - we have managers who will do that - Dyche et al.

I would rather watch the process of the team building and then see that success- It worked last season. It will be harder this season.

But the option just to Sack The Manager is not a solution - no matter how angry we all are
!!!!!!!!!! Russell Martin out !!!!!!!!!!! on 10:42 - Sep 1 with 1708 viewsSaintEPW

He had been booked - he did not want him to get a red
!!!!!!!!!! Russell Martin out !!!!!!!!!!! on 10:45 - Sep 1 with 1705 viewsSaintEPW

I’m confused by what you are saying - you say he wants to be best mates with everyone - yet he then pisses off the fans - that does not sound like someone wanting to be best mates at all.

He does keep the respect of the team - that’s not being best mates - that’s a qualification for being an effective manager
!!!!!!!!!! Russell Martin out !!!!!!!!!!! on 10:52 - Sep 1 with 1685 viewssaintjeff52

!!!!!!!!!! Russell Martin out !!!!!!!!!!! on 18:20 - Aug 31 by 1885_SFC

SAINTS manager Russell Martin accepted he must "live and die by the sword" as he vowed his team would not stop playing in his vision.

"When you make a mistake this way, everyone wants to talk about it. That's the context of what is normal and acceptable for British football, I guess.

"Also for a young British manager, I really feel that. Because if I'm not English, or apparently Scottish, I think it gets questioned way, way less."

Martin added: "We're going to stick with what we're doing. In five years of my career, it's got me this far.

"I will live and die by the sword, I know that, but I'd much rather do it this way and actually enjoy some of the moments the team gives me.

"Of course, it hurts me when we have the mistakes we have today but it's my job to fix that. It's the job of the coach, parent, teacher. It's all the same.

"Work out what the problems are and find solutions. The problem isn't that we want to do it in that way. So much of it is not tactical.

"It's about feeling and at the minute we're feeling a little bit tense in certain actions and being punished for that. It's my job to make them stop feeling that."

Martin was asked how he would be able to ensure the team kept playing effectively under increased pressure, with the defeats mounting up.

"I think we've got enough evidence to show the players some of the stuff," he insisted.

"In the first half, we had a move that ended up with Adam Armstrong, which should have been one-on-one with the goalkeeper and should end up in more.

"Some of the chances we have come from the build-up. The players do some incredible things but we get punished for two.

"It's about weighing up the evidence and showing them. It's not just my feeling. It's not a subjective thing," Martin continued.

"Objectively, we have some brilliant moments of breaking the press and really hurting Brentford. It just needs to come to more."

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/24554570.southampton-manager-martin-says-will-

1885 SFC's post encapsulates RM's way of thinking. He is not going to change, and that is the problem.
Getting us promoted last season was wonderfully unexpected. If he manages to keep us in The Premier League, it will be a miracle. We will definitely do a 'Burnley' if he remains inflexible.
Look at Bournemouth yesterday, 2-0 down on 87 minutes, they fight back to win 3-2. Can you honestly see RM getting that kind of performance from our squad ? Yeh, me neither.
We now have new additions to the squad that are better players than we have. RM was slow to use them yesterday.
I would like to see this Team given a run of games, to turn our Season back on track.
Ramsdale, Sugwara, ABK, Bednarek, KWP, in Defence. Ugochuk, Downes, Fernandes in midfield, and Dibling, Cornet, and Archer as the front three. That side, playing with an attacking intent, would be good enough to give us a Top 17 finish this season. That's all I'm expecting us to achieve this season.
IF we do get relegated, you can bet your bottom dollar that The EFL Stassi will be gunning for us next season.
Our next 6 League Fixtures are more difficult than our last 3 - Man Utd., Ipswich, Bournemouth, Arsenal, Leicester, and Man City. Play as we are, where are we getting points from that lot ?
Yes, I know it's early days into this season, but the pathway that RM seems determined to follow, doesn't look too secure.
To get the 'magical' 40pts, we only need to Win 10-12 games, and draw 4-8. This means we could still lose up to a total of 22 games, and still stay up. At least RM is on target for that scenario .
!!!!!!!!!! Russell Martin out !!!!!!!!!!! on 10:56 - Sep 1 with 1674 viewsChesham_Saint

!!!!!!!!!! Russell Martin out !!!!!!!!!!! on 10:40 - Sep 1 by SaintEPW

Constantly wishing to sack a Manager every time we see results we don’t like is clearly utterly Bonkers. We would end up with 4 or 5 new managers every season.

Yes - as fans we hate losing - we get frustrated - yes Saints results are important to us - but surely we can’t really believe that changing your manager every time you are unhappy makes any sense. Yet over 50% of us feel he should be sacked.

This is with 10 brand new players + £100m + invested + with few players with Premier League experience + many young players.

What are Realistic Expectations - Magical Management ??? - short term defensive set ups ??? - hoofing the ball long ?????? High Hassenhutl Pressing/running around very fast ????? ( we sacked him too)

Last season - it took a lot of games for the full squad of players to get into the pattern of play - which is hard. When they did - this manager had the LONGEST EVER successful set of results

The player errors are clear - the method of play is hard to get. They NEED support and time from all of us to get this right. He is protecting the players by taking the flak from us fans by saying he will stick to the system. Last season - as he and the squad evolved - he adjusted - but that takes time.

Short term approaches to playing the game - will get short term results - we have managers who will do that - Dyche et al.

I would rather watch the process of the team building and then see that success- It worked last season. It will be harder this season.

But the option just to Sack The Manager is not a solution - no matter how angry we all are

That would make sense if it wasn't so abundantly obvious that his tactics are wrong. Right now, it's like he was captain of the Titanic and deliberately steering towards that iceberg whilst ignoring all warnings.

It is possible to sack a manager and change things around, but I'd give him a little more time to improve - although I seriously fear he is too inflexible to do the obvious.

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

!!!!!!!!!! Russell Martin out !!!!!!!!!!! on 11:13 - Sep 1 with 1616 viewsIfonly

For me it's not a reaction to results at all. If we'd somehow scraped 3 draws I'd still have the same opinion as I had last year: that this style of play will not bring us success in the Prem. It's not the results that are the main information that we've got from the first 3 games, it's the confirmation that this style will not work when your players are below average for the league you're playing in.

So you're right, just sacking the manager would be bonkers. What we need to do is sack the manager AND change the style of play.

You say the players need time to learn the style of play. Yesterday's main errors came from THB, Stephens and Bedders. How long do they need to learn this style? How much better at it are they going to get after playing it for a year already?
Login to get fewer ads

!!!!!!!!!! Russell Martin out !!!!!!!!!!! on 13:55 - Sep 1 with 1462 viewsBerber

As above. I don’t blame HB for either of the howlers though, it is the system and its slack implementation.

Poll: How many wins this season sweepstake

!!!!!!!!!! Russell Martin out !!!!!!!!!!! on 15:27 - Sep 1 with 1361 viewssaint22

!!!!!!!!!! Russell Martin out !!!!!!!!!!! on 18:36 - Aug 31 by grumpy

"We're going to stick with what we're doing''

Not playing the players you do Wussell
It’s ignorant to just carry on blindly enjoying watching your team play your way which results in defeat
!!!!!!!!!! Russell Martin out !!!!!!!!!!! on 18:26 - Sep 1 with 1191 viewshedgeend61

Good post fella, you talk a lot of sense.

Remember last season when we got beat 4 on the spin, the usual Nobby's were creaming their pants wanting him out, some thought we'd get relegated, look what happened.

He can't legislate for THB Fcking around, or AA missing a dolly can he?
!!!!!!!!!! Russell Martin out !!!!!!!!!!! on 19:50 - Sep 1 with 1086 viewsPatfromPoole

We’re not talking about a complete overhaul of the style of play here.

Just stop pissing around with the ball in or around our penalty area.

It simply will not work in this League with the players that we have, against better quality forwards.

Ramsdale is actually an excellent long passer; we should be looking to utilise that rather than the tippy tappy crap.

Poll: Would you take Ward-Prowse back?

!!!!!!!!!! Russell Martin out !!!!!!!!!!! on 20:24 - Sep 1 with 1035 viewsSonicBoom

After 3 games we shouldn't even be mentioning sacking anyone.
I would like to see some changes in our approach. We've tried the total possession thing and there was very little to be encouraged about.
Personally I'd like to see us become more of a counter attacking side.
As Nick always says 'the definition of madness is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result'.
!!!!!!!!!! Russell Martin out !!!!!!!!!!! on 20:26 - Sep 1 with 1029 viewsPatfromPoole

!!!!!!!!!! Russell Martin out !!!!!!!!!!! on 20:24 - Sep 1 by SonicBoom

After 3 games we shouldn't even be mentioning sacking anyone.
I would like to see some changes in our approach. We've tried the total possession thing and there was very little to be encouraged about.
Personally I'd like to see us become more of a counter attacking side.
As Nick always says 'the definition of madness is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result'.

I am more than happy to only have 35% possession.

We will probably start winning some games.

!!!!!!!!!! Russell Martin out !!!!!!!!!!! on 22:03 - Sep 1 with 982 viewskernow

Probably when least expected.
!!!!!!!!!! Russell Martin out !!!!!!!!!!! on 23:25 - Sep 1 with 907 viewsBridders2

!!!!!!!!!! Russell Martin out !!!!!!!!!!! on 19:50 - Sep 1 by PatfromPoole

It simply will not work in this League with the players that we have, against better quality forwards.

Ramsdale is actually an excellent long passer; we should be looking to utilise that rather than the tippy tappy crap.

Quite, keep the possession game but not at the back!!!!! AND get the ball upfield quicker. Brentford played out from the back but only with safe passes and then moved quickly up the pitch. Make that change and we don't conceded stupid goals.
!!!!!!!!!! Russell Martin out !!!!!!!!!!! on 10:11 - Sep 2 with 736 viewsIfonly

!!!!!!!!!! Russell Martin out !!!!!!!!!!! on 19:50 - Sep 1 by PatfromPoole

Others disagree, but I'm saying that we need a complete overhaul of the playing style if we are going to survive. Yes, pissing around at the back is the main problem, but there are many others too.

Anyone watching the game could see the difference between the speed with which Brentford got the ball forward and the way we do it. Brentford will score lots of goals flooding forward in a counter attack. They didn't on Saturday because they did it by pressing instead, but the counter attacking goals will come. Not for us.

Mostly, by the time we get to the opponent's box, the space has gone and we don't have the class to break a PL defence down once it's set (see Newcastle game). We DID do it once on Saturday by combining 3 of our better players. A bit of class from Dibling, Lallana and Sugawara and we got a goal, but that won't happen often enough, particularly without a centre forward to add some muscle. Neither will we score the kind of set piece goal that Brentford scored, because we don't have that physicality.

To score enough goals, we'll need to get the ball forward quicker.
!!!!!!!!!! Russell Martin out !!!!!!!!!!! on 10:19 - Sep 2 with 727 viewsPatfromPoole

!!!!!!!!!! Russell Martin out !!!!!!!!!!! on 10:11 - Sep 2 by Ifonly

Others disagree, but I'm saying that we need a complete overhaul of the playing style if we are going to survive. Yes, pissing around at the back is the main problem, but there are many others too.

Anyone watching the game could see the difference between the speed with which Brentford got the ball forward and the way we do it. Brentford will score lots of goals flooding forward in a counter attack. They didn't on Saturday because they did it by pressing instead, but the counter attacking goals will come. Not for us.

Mostly, by the time we get to the opponent's box, the space has gone and we don't have the class to break a PL defence down once it's set (see Newcastle game). We DID do it once on Saturday by combining 3 of our better players. A bit of class from Dibling, Lallana and Sugawara and we got a goal, but that won't happen often enough, particularly without a centre forward to add some muscle. Neither will we score the kind of set piece goal that Brentford scored, because we don't have that physicality.

To score enough goals, we'll need to get the ball forward quicker.

Totally agree.

Brentford were much quicker in transition with their 3 Danish midfielders, and they got the ball out wide quickly to Mbeumo.

If Toney had played as well, we would have lost by 6 or 7.

!!!!!!!!!! Russell Martin out !!!!!!!!!!! on 10:38 - Sep 2 with 673 viewsButty101

!!!!!!!!!! Russell Martin out !!!!!!!!!!! on 10:19 - Sep 2 by PatfromPoole

Totally agree.

Brentford were much quicker in transition with their 3 Danish midfielders, and they got the ball out wide quickly to Mbeumo.

If Toney had played as well, we would have lost by 6 or 7.

I think we have to give him until at least xmas, unless we are cut a drift. He needs to approve he can adapt. If not get potter on the phone

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

!!!!!!!!!! Russell Martin out !!!!!!!!!!! on 11:46 - Sep 2 with 606 viewsTripleNiemi

!!!!!!!!!! Russell Martin out !!!!!!!!!!! on 10:38 - Sep 2 by Butty101

I think we have to give him until at least xmas, unless we are cut a drift. He needs to approve he can adapt. If not get potter on the phone

Harry?

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

!!!!!!!!!! Russell Martin out !!!!!!!!!!! on 12:08 - Sep 2 with 581 viewsPatfromPoole

!!!!!!!!!! Russell Martin out !!!!!!!!!!! on 10:38 - Sep 2 by Butty101

Christmas??

That’s way too long.

!!!!!!!!!! Russell Martin out !!!!!!!!!!! on 12:14 - Sep 2 with 565 viewsTripleNiemi

!!!!!!!!!! Russell Martin out !!!!!!!!!!! on 12:08 - Sep 2 by PatfromPoole

Christmas??

That’s way too long.

The Influencers love him and I cannot see the board pulling the trigger this side of Christmas.

Gonna be more of the same for a while me thinks

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

!!!!!!!!!! Russell Martin out !!!!!!!!!!! on 12:24 - Sep 2 with 558 viewsNumber_58

I would just like to point out that virtually all of you lot wrote off Saints and Russell Martin at roughly this point last season, and again before the play-offs. So just carry on whingeing and hopefully things will turn around soon. That's all.
!!!!!!!!!! Russell Martin out !!!!!!!!!!! on 12:28 - Sep 2 with 556 viewsBuggalugs

How many managers in the last 20 years have we had that a large proportion of fans haven't wanted sacked at one point or another? I can only think of Adkins and Koeman, which suggests that unrealistic expectations are more of an issue.

Even though the constant fannying around with it at the back is ridiculously stupid, to want the bloke that got us promoted the season before sacked, after just 3 games, is bonkers. We were always going to struggle this season, no matter who is in charge.

Poll: How do YOU define a racist?

!!!!!!!!!! Russell Martin out !!!!!!!!!!! on 12:57 - Sep 2 with 522 viewssaint901

I will say now that not only am I not in favour of changing RM now or at Christmas and I think that the Board will not be in favour either.

Many of us are frustrated by the style of play and the fact that RM is stubborn to the point of unreasonableness about that style. He has seen us lose three times now to what in PL terms is modest opposition and at least two of those defeats are a direct result of his desire to play out from the back.

Worst of all, this is a solvable problem.

If, as a defender, you think it too risky to pass, then foot through it and reset.

If, you as a midfielder, get the ball, do NOT play sideways or backwards but look forwards.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024