Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
More freebies for Goztepe 18:57 - Aug 16 with 1805 viewsPatfromPoole

I really do have to take issue with Nick’s comment that this Goztepe “project” is costing “a drop in the ocean”……

Poll: Would you take Ward-Prowse back?

More freebies for Goztepe on 20:01 - Aug 16 with 1675 viewskingolaf

I don’t think we should be subsidising other clubs regardless of our owners.
More freebies for Goztepe on 20:08 - Aug 16 with 1664 viewsBLEEDRED

I have to admit I fail to see any benefit for Saints so far, It just seems the club buy players out of the club's budget then send them out on loan in the hope that maybe in a few years one of them might just be good enough to play for Saints. How much does it cost the club??
More freebies for Goztepe on 20:13 - Aug 16 with 1656 viewsPatfromPoole

Surely if these players were any good, we would be putting them in our squad now (?).

I don’t get how giving them experience in a schmuck League is going to improve them.

It doesn’t appear to have improved Onuachu’s ball control….

More freebies for Goztepe on 21:08 - Aug 16 with 1586 viewsButty101

More freebies for Goztepe on 20:13 - Aug 16 by PatfromPoole

Surely if these players were any good, we would be putting them in our squad now (?).

I don’t get how giving them experience in a schmuck League is going to improve them.

It doesn’t appear to have improved Onuachu’s ball control….

Goztepe have a record transfer fee of €365k
Their squad is worth €17Mill
A turn over of about €12mill

They cant afford to sign or pay these players. Its looking like we are lending them at least 4 this season. Its not a drop in the ocean as are Nick likes to have you believe. Could you imagine his reaction if cortese was pulling this stunt.
[Post edited 16 Aug 22:04]

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

More freebies for Goztepe on 21:35 - Aug 16 with 1527 viewskingslandstand1

Well Bournemouth seem to know how to buy players for their own benefit! So they spend the Solanke dosh in pretty well one move

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/c0rw5jwzl4jo
More freebies for Goztepe on 21:54 - Aug 16 with 1457 viewsgrumpy

More freebies for Goztepe on 21:35 - Aug 16 by kingslandstand1

Well Bournemouth seem to know how to buy players for their own benefit! So they spend the Solanke dosh in pretty well one move

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/c0rw5jwzl4jo

Never thought I see the day...............
More freebies for Goztepe on 01:18 - Aug 17 with 1289 viewsLondonSaint76

More freebies for Goztepe on 21:54 - Aug 16 by grumpy

Likewise, I am alternating between gobsmacked and it just being embarrassing to think Bournemouth can genuinely outspend us royally on a single player. Whilst they concentrate on looking after themselves we are buying players for our ‘sister club’ a two bit outfit playing in a naff League - and no doubt paying a fair chunk of their wages. Well, fc uk the sisterhood, charity begins at home. We need to know exactly what this relationship has cost SFC so far and what the ongoing costs are in terms of wages we are subsidising, total transparency, nothing less is acceptable.

Poll: How will we get on against Leicester City?

More freebies for Goztepe on 07:04 - Aug 17 with 1147 viewsPatfromPoole

More freebies for Goztepe on 01:18 - Aug 17 by LondonSaint76

Likewise, I am alternating between gobsmacked and it just being embarrassing to think Bournemouth can genuinely outspend us royally on a single player. Whilst they concentrate on looking after themselves we are buying players for our ‘sister club’ a two bit outfit playing in a naff League - and no doubt paying a fair chunk of their wages. Well, fc uk the sisterhood, charity begins at home. We need to know exactly what this relationship has cost SFC so far and what the ongoing costs are in terms of wages we are subsidising, total transparency, nothing less is acceptable.

I guess we'll never know the true figure of what it has cost us.

I will however be highly surprised if any of these recently acquired players ever play for Saints.

Login to get fewer ads

More freebies for Goztepe on 07:13 - Aug 17 with 1132 viewsTripleNiemi

Put bluntly, this whole gig stinks

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

More freebies for Goztepe on 07:18 - Aug 17 with 1124 viewsTripleNiemi

Rumour has it the club shop will soon be doing a range of 50/50 scarves and kits for the more discerning fan amongst us

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

More freebies for Goztepe on 09:31 - Aug 17 with 990 viewsSaintNick

I am afraid that this is modern football and it is the way things are going, Manchester City do it and Chelsea do it, it is about player trading, we have been doing it for years, the difference is than then we bought a player and put him in the reserves, now we loan them out for match experience at another club and if you have one you own all the better.

It is about seeing a bigger picture, the £900 k we may or may not have paid, is a drop in the ocean, I don’t think we will miss out on a signing because we are £900k short .

Goztepe will probably pay us a loan fee in installments as well as his wages.

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

More freebies for Goztepe on 09:50 - Aug 17 with 974 viewsPatfromPoole

More freebies for Goztepe on 09:31 - Aug 17 by SaintNick

I am afraid that this is modern football and it is the way things are going, Manchester City do it and Chelsea do it, it is about player trading, we have been doing it for years, the difference is than then we bought a player and put him in the reserves, now we loan them out for match experience at another club and if you have one you own all the better.

It is about seeing a bigger picture, the £900 k we may or may not have paid, is a drop in the ocean, I don’t think we will miss out on a signing because we are £900k short .

Goztepe will probably pay us a loan fee in installments as well as his wages.

They won’t pay his wages though, will they?

They will pay a small proportion of it.

If the wages were at a level that Goztepe could afford, these players (if they are indeed any good at all) would never have agreed to sign.

We have enough players in our squad who are not Prem standard, that if these players were any good, they would go straight into our squad.

I wouldn’t mind so much if these players were getting experience in a quality League, but we are sending them to a schmuck League.

More freebies for Goztepe on 10:14 - Aug 17 with 954 viewsSaintNick

More freebies for Goztepe on 09:50 - Aug 17 by PatfromPoole

They won’t pay his wages though, will they?

They will pay a small proportion of it.

If the wages were at a level that Goztepe could afford, these players (if they are indeed any good at all) would never have agreed to sign.

We have enough players in our squad who are not Prem standard, that if these players were any good, they would go straight into our squad.

I wouldn’t mind so much if these players were getting experience in a quality League, but we are sending them to a schmuck League.

These players are coming from Brazil they are not on high wages, we dont have to sign every player with a view to going straight into our squad.

The Brazilians are looking to further their careers and play in Europe, you say they are going to a schmuck league, but it still has some good teams in it, it is one step at a time.

We are just following in the footsteps of the likes of Manchester City and trying to build the foundations of a strong club, yet people are shouting about it as if it is costing us a fortune, probably part of it is also to do with the financial fair play league and getting money into Southampton through player loan fees and transfers etc.

As I keep saying it is the way the game is going

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

More freebies for Goztepe on 10:42 - Aug 17 with 920 viewssaintmark1976

More freebies for Goztepe on 21:54 - Aug 16 by grumpy

100% with you grumpy.

I can remember when Bournemouth were on the brink of extinction and they were having bucket collections to stay afloat.

Didn’t we once actually give them a goalkeeper by the name of Neil Moss and waived any sort of transfer fee whatsoever ?

Their ground is a third the size of ours yet they can massively outspend us in the transfer market ?

It really does go to show that over the last twenty odd years we have had some absolutely clowns in charge of our club, both owners and management.

Poll: On which date will we be relegated ?

More freebies for Goztepe on 11:19 - Aug 17 with 897 viewsIfonly

More freebies for Goztepe on 10:14 - Aug 17 by SaintNick

These players are coming from Brazil they are not on high wages, we dont have to sign every player with a view to going straight into our squad.

The Brazilians are looking to further their careers and play in Europe, you say they are going to a schmuck league, but it still has some good teams in it, it is one step at a time.

We are just following in the footsteps of the likes of Manchester City and trying to build the foundations of a strong club, yet people are shouting about it as if it is costing us a fortune, probably part of it is also to do with the financial fair play league and getting money into Southampton through player loan fees and transfers etc.

"We are just following in the footsteps of the likes of Manchester City"

I long for the day when we learn that just because something works for a giant club like City, that doesn't mean it works for clubs like Saints.

The multi-club structure works for City and their ilk for several reasons. They have too many good players to allow others to break through into the first team. They can control the development of youngsters better by doing this than loaning them all out. For clubs like City, the costs really are negligible. There are also commercial and branding benefits for the likes of Etihad or Red Bull.

None of that applies to us. We don't have a huge pool of players whose pathway is blocked, we have no group branding and the clubs all play different styles, so there is no development pathway to Saints in the same way that exists at City. The proof will be in the pudding. It will only work if we get players back from Turkey that are ready for the PL. So far it's not working. We've had Lis there for a year and he looked terrible when he came back to Saints this summer.

It's another area where I don't think our owners know what they're doing. They just see City doing something and think we need to do the same thing on 10% of the budget. Having said that, it may end up working for SR as a business because they can use the structure to feed players into the other European clubs and build the value of clubs like Goztepe at limited cost to Saints. But there's no evidence that this will work for Saints. If we really want players like the Brazilian lads, we should buy them and loan them back to their current clubs. But if they're not on the brink of being ready for the PL then we shouldn't buy them.
More freebies for Goztepe on 11:43 - Aug 17 with 877 viewsPatfromPoole

More freebies for Goztepe on 11:19 - Aug 17 by Ifonly

"We are just following in the footsteps of the likes of Manchester City"

I long for the day when we learn that just because something works for a giant club like City, that doesn't mean it works for clubs like Saints.

The multi-club structure works for City and their ilk for several reasons. They have too many good players to allow others to break through into the first team. They can control the development of youngsters better by doing this than loaning them all out. For clubs like City, the costs really are negligible. There are also commercial and branding benefits for the likes of Etihad or Red Bull.

None of that applies to us. We don't have a huge pool of players whose pathway is blocked, we have no group branding and the clubs all play different styles, so there is no development pathway to Saints in the same way that exists at City. The proof will be in the pudding. It will only work if we get players back from Turkey that are ready for the PL. So far it's not working. We've had Lis there for a year and he looked terrible when he came back to Saints this summer.

It's another area where I don't think our owners know what they're doing. They just see City doing something and think we need to do the same thing on 10% of the budget. Having said that, it may end up working for SR as a business because they can use the structure to feed players into the other European clubs and build the value of clubs like Goztepe at limited cost to Saints. But there's no evidence that this will work for Saints. If we really want players like the Brazilian lads, we should buy them and loan them back to their current clubs. But if they're not on the brink of being ready for the PL then we shouldn't buy them.

Agreed.

Surely if we wanted to get players playing in a scmuck league but more culturally accustomed to an environment like England, Sport Republic should have acquired a small club in the Scottish Prem, e.g. Ross County.

If they couldn’t do anything in that League, then clearly they are not for us.

More freebies for Goztepe on 11:55 - Aug 17 with 827 viewskingslandstand1

More freebies for Goztepe on 07:04 - Aug 17 by PatfromPoole

I guess we'll never know the true figure of what it has cost us.

I will however be highly surprised if any of these recently acquired players ever play for Saints.

And the reason being that they will not be good enough to even dream of playing in the Prem (or Championship if as all the pundits say we will go straight back down again)
More freebies for Goztepe on 13:26 - Aug 17 with 717 viewsButty101

More freebies for Goztepe on 10:14 - Aug 17 by SaintNick

Sorry what you are saying is utter rubbish. They haven’t joined us because when they where nippers they dreamed of playing in red and white. It’s because we offered them the most. To say this doesn’t cost us anything or peanuts. Signing these 4 might be the difference between us buying ORielly , a player that our manager wants badly.
As for loan fees , Goztepe record fee is £300k so it’s not going to be enough to buy the average house in the UK.
You are right it works for man city as they buy quality youngsters, not the bargain basement that we are looking in.

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024