Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
ZDS Cup 1991/92 08:55 - Jul 19 with 839 viewsSaintNick

Just been looking at some of the games played in that competition, in the 2nd round Everton played Oldham, then a top flight club in front of 4,588, which was less than were at Tranmere the following night when 4,653 saw them beat Grimsby.

We came in at the 2nd round where we won 2-1 at Bristol City with goals from Le Tiss & Shearer showing we were taking the competition seriously.

In the next round we won 1-0 at Plymouth another Le God goal.

Next up was West Ham at the Dell in the Southern area semi final, 6.681 saw goals from Shearer & Le Tiss again give us a 2-1 win.

The first leg of the Southern semi was against Chelsea, the crowd was up to 8,726 and Le Tiss and Terry Hurlock gave us a 2-0 win.

The second leg at Stamford Bridge saw a slightly bigger crowd, 9, 781 and we won 3-1 with a Le Tiss hat trick.

The final at Wembley was watched by 67, 688 with Saints fans having a slight majority with around 37-40,000 in attendance.

Forest were 2-0 up at half time before a second half comeback with a goal from Le Tiss on 64 minutes and then a Kevin Moore header on 70 minutes pulling us level.

Into extra time but a winner on 110 minutes did for us

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

ZDS Cup 1991/92 on 09:00 - Jul 19 with 824 viewsButty101

I went to the home semi and the final.
I was a milton muppet at the time and can remember singing " We'll be running round Wembley with out willys hanging out".

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

ZDS Cup 1991/92 on 09:30 - Jul 19 with 776 viewsPatfromPoole

Are you pining for a return to the days of Branfoot, Paul Moody and David Lee, Nick?

Poll: Would you take Ward-Prowse back?

ZDS Cup 1991/92 on 09:48 - Jul 19 with 758 viewsSaintNick

ZDS Cup 1991/92 on 09:30 - Jul 19 by PatfromPoole

Are you pining for a return to the days of Branfoot, Paul Moody and David Lee, Nick?

I dont pine for most of the players from that era, but it was fun at certain times and a significant period in the clubs history

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

ZDS Cup 1991/92 on 10:02 - Jul 19 with 743 viewsPatfromPoole

If memory serves, SKY made a big deal of this competition as they didn’t have rights to any of the top division stuff at that time. ITV had it all.

Legend has it that football only actually began in the following season when the Prem was formed and we had SKY imposing cheerleaders on us.

Perhaps this is why crowds were so low in the ZDS in that season. Football didn’t actually exist, and it was just our vivid imagination.

Poll: Would you take Ward-Prowse back?

ZDS Cup 1991/92 on 13:09 - Jul 19 with 634 viewsNumber_58

I went to every game in that cup run. I wish I had that sort of disposable income and free time nowadays.
ZDS Cup 1991/92 on 13:53 - Jul 19 with 590 viewsfranniesTache

I was at all of the home games and the final, remember the West Ham one was one of the smallest ever crowds at the dell i think.

My main memory of the final was the Kevin Moore header and Ian Branfoot being booed as he went to the dug out, which i think is the only time a club manager has been booed at wembley.

Also for all those who moan about the new wembley the view that day was awful, i was in the big terrace behind the goal and had a stanchion blocking a massive part of the pitch for most of the game
ZDS Cup 1991/92 on 14:25 - Jul 19 with 535 viewssaintmark1976

Thanks Nick, I was at Wembley for the final which I recall being played on a Sunday ?

Good open game of football and in my minds eye I can still see Kevin Moore’s towering header to equalise. Didn’t he unfortunately die at an early age from dementia, I imagine from continuous heading heavy footballs ?

Outside the ground a Notts Forest bell end sarcastically said “ thanks for coming” to which I replied “ I hope you are relegated next season” and much to my enjoyment they were.

Memories also of the massive car park that then existed outside and the amount of time it took to exit.
[Post edited 19 Jul 14:29]

Poll: Should Russell Martin be sacked after saying he won’t compromise?

Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024