Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Saints 23/24 Season Review - The Goalkeepers 11:05 - Jun 4 with 426 viewsSaintsNews

Saints 23/24 Season Review - The Goalkeepers 4th Jun 2024 11:02
We start our review of the 2023/24 season for Southampton with a look at the three goalkeepers that were used during the campaign, how they played individually and how they influenced the way that the team played. 7

If you want to remove this post from the board index, just click the hide post icon below. To hide all our news posts click the ignore user icon under the avatar.
Saints 23/24 Season Review - The Goalkeepers on 11:53 - Jun 4 with 380 viewsPatfromPoole

The telling factor for me wasn't really referred to in the article.

This was the goals conceded v shots faced ratio, and is where Bazunu fared pretty badly relative to other keepers in the League.

Reminiscent of Kelvin Davis.

I have seen a theory that a lot of our goals conceded arose from conceding possession in bad areas of the pitch, so if we lost possession (despite having the lion's share of it), it would often lead to the oppo having a shot at goal.

Not sure I'm too convinced by that.

There were examples of us conceding goals due to playing tippy-tappy in the wrong areas (Ipswich and Hull both at home spring to mind), but I'm not too sure there were that many over the season. Far fewer than I had feared TBH.

I just think Bazunu isn't a good enough shot-stopper. He seems to have a weakness in particular with shots from 20-25 yards out. To such an extent I actually wonder if he has eyesight issues.
[Post edited 4 Jun 11:59]

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

Saints 23/24 Season Review - The Goalkeepers on 14:09 - Jun 4 with 301 viewsSaintNick

Saints 23/24 Season Review - The Goalkeepers on 11:53 - Jun 4 by PatfromPoole

The telling factor for me wasn't really referred to in the article.

This was the goals conceded v shots faced ratio, and is where Bazunu fared pretty badly relative to other keepers in the League.

Reminiscent of Kelvin Davis.

I have seen a theory that a lot of our goals conceded arose from conceding possession in bad areas of the pitch, so if we lost possession (despite having the lion's share of it), it would often lead to the oppo having a shot at goal.

Not sure I'm too convinced by that.

There were examples of us conceding goals due to playing tippy-tappy in the wrong areas (Ipswich and Hull both at home spring to mind), but I'm not too sure there were that many over the season. Far fewer than I had feared TBH.

I just think Bazunu isn't a good enough shot-stopper. He seems to have a weakness in particular with shots from 20-25 yards out. To such an extent I actually wonder if he has eyesight issues.
[Post edited 4 Jun 11:59]

Goals conceded v Shots ratio isnt always the best judge of a keeper, from watching games I always felt the way we played left us open to getting caught on the break too much and also we tended to get caught out when marking.

Looking at these figures it appears that Bazunu was ranked 5th in the division overall and had a shot to save ratio of 63.6% Alex McCarthy including the play off games had 65.4%

This is fairly average, most were between 62-70% the ratings are skewed by some keepers played less games than others, Johanssen at Rotherham had 69%.

The fact is that saving the ball isnt the main job for the keeper nowadays, Bazunu had 143 shots on target in 41 games and saved 89, that is an average of 3.49 shots on target per game.

Only 4 keepers had more clean sheets than Bazunu, those at Leicester, Ipswich, Leeds and bizarely QPR.

Goalkeeping these days is about a lot more than stopping shots, its about commanding the area, its about coming off your line quickly to clear the ball, it is about making yourself available for a pass and then passing it.

I didnt compile these stats but they do emphasise just what i was saying, that Bazunu isn't as bad as some would have you believe, he has not been outstanding, but he hasn't been bad either

https://fbref.com/en/comps/10/keepers/Championship-Stats

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Saints 23/24 Season Review - The Goalkeepers on 14:19 - Jun 4 with 293 viewsButty101

Saints 23/24 Season Review - The Goalkeepers on 14:09 - Jun 4 by SaintNick

Goals conceded v Shots ratio isnt always the best judge of a keeper, from watching games I always felt the way we played left us open to getting caught on the break too much and also we tended to get caught out when marking.

Looking at these figures it appears that Bazunu was ranked 5th in the division overall and had a shot to save ratio of 63.6% Alex McCarthy including the play off games had 65.4%

This is fairly average, most were between 62-70% the ratings are skewed by some keepers played less games than others, Johanssen at Rotherham had 69%.

The fact is that saving the ball isnt the main job for the keeper nowadays, Bazunu had 143 shots on target in 41 games and saved 89, that is an average of 3.49 shots on target per game.

Only 4 keepers had more clean sheets than Bazunu, those at Leicester, Ipswich, Leeds and bizarely QPR.

Goalkeeping these days is about a lot more than stopping shots, its about commanding the area, its about coming off your line quickly to clear the ball, it is about making yourself available for a pass and then passing it.

I didnt compile these stats but they do emphasise just what i was saying, that Bazunu isn't as bad as some would have you believe, he has not been outstanding, but he hasn't been bad either

If you cant take goals conceded v shots ratio as a judgement then you cant do a ratio of goals to games. McCarthy had no chance at Leicester when the team in front of him had lost its appetite. Remove that and its suddenly 4 goals in games.

I know you like to play devils advocate Nick and stick up for the under dog. But as Pat said Baz just isnt good enough. The way Mccarthy commanded his box in the playoffs, showed what we had been missing all season. Baz had a mistake in him most games, and his fabled foot work wasnt great.

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Saints 23/24 Season Review - The Goalkeepers on 14:26 - Jun 4 with 286 viewsPatfromPoole

Saints 23/24 Season Review - The Goalkeepers on 14:09 - Jun 4 by SaintNick

Begovic had a good season for QPR.

He was doing punditry on the England game last night, what with being Bosnian and all that.

He would be a useful back-up keeper for a Prem side, I dare say....

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

Saints 23/24 Season Review - The Goalkeepers on 15:43 - Jun 4 with 256 viewsfelly1

From day one I've never been convinced by Bazunu.
Too young for a club of our stature.
He looks too small.
Beaten by too many shots other keepers may save.
Put simply it just felt better having McCarthy in goal for the playoffs. Bigger, stronger and more dominant.
Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024