Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A corner turned or a one off? 10:42 - Oct 2 with 920 viewssaint901

First, a good win and one that we needed in order to give the players some confidence.

Whether that is confidence that the RM "way of playing" is now binned and instead we play to the strengths of the players we have or just because we won a game, perhaps matters little.

Second, reading the comments from Leeds fans, it's clear that they saw their team under perform and that leaving Rodon out was (in their view) an error.

Looking at our goals, the first was nicely worked and in my view would not have been prevented by Leeds or any other team.

The second and third were due to the Leeds right side defence going missing. If I was their coach, I'd want to understand why that happened and whether it was individual error or tactical.

Would another team be as generous?

For me the jury is out as to whether this was a turning point and a new and better way of playing or a decent result against a team which was poor on the day.

Take 10 from the next 12 points and it's a turning point. Take 5 out of 12 and it's a freak result.
A corner turned or a one off? on 11:23 - Oct 2 with 874 viewsSonicBoom

I mean this isn't going to be a popular opinion but to me that still looked like a fragile performance. Don't get me wrong it was an improvement and of course brilliant to get a win.
Nick is right though the standard in this league isn't very high. Leeds were pretty useless and had they been anywhere near their previous level I think we would have struggled.

I came to the conclusion that I just don't actually like Martins style of play, even when it works. The number of times we had the ball wide and there was space to run into but we kept on trying to turn inside and pass to the centre backs. I just don't get it. That pass was often harder than the ball up the line. I genuinely don't understand that tactic. The more the ball is with our own last man, whether that's in our own box or on the halfway line, then the more we are at risk.

I'm not sure what he tells them but I lost count of the number of times that the ball is played in to Armstrong, or Smallbone and they could turn and move forward but they just pop the ball back the way it came without even looking to see if they can be more positive.

I also don't want to give martin too much credit for the fact that we were clearing our lines a bit more effectively. That was blindingly obvious for several weeks. In fact I was told not to pass it across my own box when I was about 8. so seeing them going longer when under pressure seems like absolute basics.

So good result, but I am nowhere near convinced that we have a pattern that will work.
Maybe I've just been supporting Saints for far too long now!........
A corner turned or a one off? on 12:04 - Oct 2 with 837 viewsA1079

A corner turned or a one off? on 11:23 - Oct 2 by SonicBoom

I mean this isn't going to be a popular opinion but to me that still looked like a fragile performance. Don't get me wrong it was an improvement and of course brilliant to get a win.
Nick is right though the standard in this league isn't very high. Leeds were pretty useless and had they been anywhere near their previous level I think we would have struggled.

I came to the conclusion that I just don't actually like Martins style of play, even when it works. The number of times we had the ball wide and there was space to run into but we kept on trying to turn inside and pass to the centre backs. I just don't get it. That pass was often harder than the ball up the line. I genuinely don't understand that tactic. The more the ball is with our own last man, whether that's in our own box or on the halfway line, then the more we are at risk.

I'm not sure what he tells them but I lost count of the number of times that the ball is played in to Armstrong, or Smallbone and they could turn and move forward but they just pop the ball back the way it came without even looking to see if they can be more positive.

I also don't want to give martin too much credit for the fact that we were clearing our lines a bit more effectively. That was blindingly obvious for several weeks. In fact I was told not to pass it across my own box when I was about 8. so seeing them going longer when under pressure seems like absolute basics.

So good result, but I am nowhere near convinced that we have a pattern that will work.
Maybe I've just been supporting Saints for far too long now!........

I think it may be a more popular opinion than you might think SonicBoom. It was a good win, a needed win and we were better than Leeds Utd, but one win doth not a summer or season make but it would be nice to think it was a turning point, but you, me and many more supporters know that we have had many many false dawns and few lasting sunrises.
A corner turned or a one off? on 12:17 - Oct 2 with 822 viewsBerber

I pretty much agree with all of the above. We stopped leaving the ball with defenders, thereby reducing the probability of them making the all too frequent goofs, we moved the ball forward quicker, forcing Leeds backwards. Our runners attacked them, increasing the chances that THEY would make mistakes.

In short, we did to them all of the things that teams have been reaming us with for most games this season.

Now I agree that all of our players should be able to pass the ball effectively, rather than punt it hopefully in the general direction of one of our players. But passing has to be to a purpose, not in the blind belief that sooner or later, an opportunity will occur if we hold on long enough. There is nothing wrong with pass and move triangles, so long as the direction is towards their goal.

Poll: How many wins this season sweepstake

A corner turned or a one off? on 12:49 - Oct 2 with 786 viewssaint901

I think that the possession game theory is that a ball played up the line to what used to be called a winger, limits your options.

Unless the winger is in space or can create some or can see a play to be played into a position we can score from, the only options are to return the ball back down the line or play it inside to somebody, perhaps in the opposition third of the pitch, where the recipient is likely to be closed down quickly.

Only if the recipient on the wing can drive to the line or go inside (i.e. the full back/covering player is missing) does the theory say the pass down the line is a "good" one.

The criticism here that a player receiving the ball does not look up or around and perhaps turn or play a pass forward, rather than back to the defender, is valid.

Good midfield players (JWP for example) are aware of what's around them and will receive a pass and move it forward. Less able players (those we have) will rather play a successful pass than take a risk.

I'm hoping that will change if we can put a few results togther.
A corner turned or a one off? on 13:32 - Oct 2 with 729 viewsI_would

Unfortunately Clown Man can't wait to revert to his normal team selections and tactics on Tuesday to prove that he was right all along and we CAN win his way. He really has got a couple of missing cells I think.

Poll: How many players should RH play at the back on Saturday?

A corner turned or a one off? on 13:45 - Oct 2 with 714 viewsPatfromPoole

I hope to be proved wrong, but over the years I have seen more false dawns at Saints than changes in the weather.

Poll: Would you take Ward-Prowse back?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024