Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wells? 10:00 - Aug 8 with 19098 viewsconnell10

Being reported we are interested in taking him back.

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Wells? on 14:54 - Aug 9 with 1401 viewsisawqpratwcity

Wells? on 14:35 - Aug 9 by PinnerPaul

Erm……. its 7 subs

Is it? I can't tell from this:

Number of substitutions

OFFICIAL COMPETITIONS

The number of substitutes, up to a maximum of five, which may be used in any match played in an official competition will be determined by FIFA, the confederation or the national football association except for men's and women's competitions involving the 1st teams of clubs in the top division or senior 'A' international teams, where the maximum is three substitutes.

The competition rules must state

how many substitutes may be named, from three to a maximum of twelve.
whether one additional substitute may be used when a match goes into extra time (whether or not the team has already used the full number of permitted substitutes)
OTHER MATCHES

In national “A” team matches, a maximum of twelve substitutes may be named of which a maximum of six may be used.

In all other matches, a greater number of substitutes may be used provided that:

the teams reach agreement on a maximum number
the referee is informed before the match
If the referee is not informed, or if no agreement is reached before the match, each team is allowed a maximum of six substitutes.

http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/lawsandrules/laws/football-11-11/

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Wells? on 15:00 - Aug 9 with 1373 viewsqprd

Wells? on 11:14 - Aug 9 by simmo

I was in almost exactly this camp when I first heard about the move, I thought it was gratuitous and a bit of a piss-take to plead poverty but get ANOTHER PL loan. I am still in the 'make do' rather than 'double down' mindset.

But a few points, some of which have already been highlighted...

- Oteh isn't ready, saw him in pre-season and Warburton has had a good look. He didn't list Oteh in his available strikers so he's clearly going back to U23's or on loan. That leaves 2 strikers MW feels are 1st team quality, which isn't enough
- MW has had time to look at Malakay properly and perhaps he feels although he's able to do a job in support, if Hugill got injured, etc than relying on him would be too much for the lad and he wants a more proven option as back up / competition
- Wells is proven to us, in terms of character, ability and whatever else. He's known, the younger lads connected with him and he wants to come here even when he had other options (same as Cameron)
- He will be good and suits the style we want to play, you have to think with his ability and movement that he can do even better than last year under a mostly negative style
- He won't cost as much as last season - this is a fair amount of speculation, but he's in his last year, it was on deadline day with Burnley keen to shift him and it's not a knee jerk reaction to us losing our first 4 games and only having Matt Smith to pick

All in all I think the good outweighs the bad here.
[Post edited 9 Aug 2019 11:20]

All valid points.
Wells? on 15:11 - Aug 9 with 1329 viewsqprd

Wells? on 14:34 - Aug 9 by PinnerPaul

IF he's a free agent in the summer, 'price' won't go anywhere.

Clue is somewhere in the term free agent!

Today MW announced that Malaker has a slight injury - just goes to prove you need a squad - we're only 1 game in.

price can be in the form of a transfer fee or wages. Obviously he’s a free agent after this season so we don’t need to worry about the transfer fee. But you can’t disregard the wages piece.

My point is that we’re in a bit of a bind in terms of resigning him. We want him to play really well this season. But if he scores 20 goals this season, he is going to command higher wages. If Forest want to offer him 40k a week on the back of a great season, we’re unlikely to be able to match that

If by contrast he scores 5 goals, the wages he commands next summer will be lower. But would we really want to retain a player with a poor goal return?

To the point on wages, you can make the argument that by having him for 2 years in a row, we have a built in advantage to resigning him when he’s a free, irrespective of his standard of his performance and wages offered by different clubs (eg, he’s settled, doesn’t want to move the kids, likes London and the club). But I’m more cynical and think free agents will always just chase the highest wages (as nedum onohua and so many others have demonstrated)
Wells? on 15:11 - Aug 9 with 1323 viewsterryb

Wells? on 14:35 - Aug 9 by PinnerPaul

Erm……. its 7 subs

It did state USE three subs.
Wells? on 15:16 - Aug 9 with 1304 viewsterryb

Wells? on 11:14 - Aug 9 by simmo

I was in almost exactly this camp when I first heard about the move, I thought it was gratuitous and a bit of a piss-take to plead poverty but get ANOTHER PL loan. I am still in the 'make do' rather than 'double down' mindset.

But a few points, some of which have already been highlighted...

- Oteh isn't ready, saw him in pre-season and Warburton has had a good look. He didn't list Oteh in his available strikers so he's clearly going back to U23's or on loan. That leaves 2 strikers MW feels are 1st team quality, which isn't enough
- MW has had time to look at Malakay properly and perhaps he feels although he's able to do a job in support, if Hugill got injured, etc than relying on him would be too much for the lad and he wants a more proven option as back up / competition
- Wells is proven to us, in terms of character, ability and whatever else. He's known, the younger lads connected with him and he wants to come here even when he had other options (same as Cameron)
- He will be good and suits the style we want to play, you have to think with his ability and movement that he can do even better than last year under a mostly negative style
- He won't cost as much as last season - this is a fair amount of speculation, but he's in his last year, it was on deadline day with Burnley keen to shift him and it's not a knee jerk reaction to us losing our first 4 games and only having Matt Smith to pick

All in all I think the good outweighs the bad here.
[Post edited 9 Aug 2019 11:20]

A very good post simmo IMO.

However, IF we could afford to make a cash offer for the Aberdeen defender, I would have preferred to make an offer for Lyle Taylor rather than take Wells back on loan.

Brentford had a £3 million bid turned down for him, but would Charlton have accepted £4 or £5 million? I certainly would have been happier with a permanent striker signing than having three on loan.
Wells? on 15:22 - Aug 9 with 1275 viewsNed_Kennedys

Wells? on 15:16 - Aug 9 by terryb

However, IF we could afford to make a cash offer for the Aberdeen defender, I would have preferred to make an offer for Lyle Taylor rather than take Wells back on loan.

Brentford had a £3 million bid turned down for him, but would Charlton have accepted £4 or £5 million? I certainly would have been happier with a permanent striker signing than having three on loan.

If Charlton were willing to accept £4m or £5m then I'm sure Brentford would've paid it as they have all the Maupay money. More likely Charlton did not want to sell their main striker in the last few hours of the window with no chance of buying a replacement.
Wells? on 15:26 - Aug 9 with 1258 viewsCamberleyR

Wells? on 15:16 - Aug 9 by terryb

I'd maybe have gone for Joe Pigott of Wimbledon but the drawback is both Taylor and Pigott have never played at his level before and at least with Wells you know what you're going to get.

Pigott though did really well in his first season in L1 for AFCW scoring 15 (plus 3 in the cups) in a Dons team that just avoided relegation. He's already off the mark this season for them and I think is definitely one to watch. Could be the next Charlie Austin.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Wells? on 15:56 - Aug 9 with 1185 viewsPinnerPaul

Wells? on 14:54 - Aug 9 by isawqpratwcity

Is it? I can't tell from this:

Number of substitutions

OFFICIAL COMPETITIONS

The number of substitutes, up to a maximum of five, which may be used in any match played in an official competition will be determined by FIFA, the confederation or the national football association except for men's and women's competitions involving the 1st teams of clubs in the top division or senior 'A' international teams, where the maximum is three substitutes.

The competition rules must state

how many substitutes may be named, from three to a maximum of twelve.
whether one additional substitute may be used when a match goes into extra time (whether or not the team has already used the full number of permitted substitutes)
OTHER MATCHES

In national “A” team matches, a maximum of twelve substitutes may be named of which a maximum of six may be used.

In all other matches, a greater number of substitutes may be used provided that:

the teams reach agreement on a maximum number
the referee is informed before the match
If the referee is not informed, or if no agreement is reached before the match, each team is allowed a maximum of six substitutes.

http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/lawsandrules/laws/football-11-11/

Yes it is in the football league

Its 3 from 7 which meets the max/min you quote there.
Login to get fewer ads

Wells? on 16:04 - Aug 9 with 1160 viewsisawqpratwcity

Wells? on 15:56 - Aug 9 by PinnerPaul

Yes it is in the football league

Its 3 from 7 which meets the max/min you quote there.

The EFL Regulations? Which Section/Appendix? I couldn't find it there. You have to agree those FA Regulations I cut and pasted seem to allow almost anything.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Wells? on 18:38 - Aug 9 with 1064 viewsPinnerPaul

Wells? on 16:04 - Aug 9 by isawqpratwcity

The EFL Regulations? Which Section/Appendix? I couldn't find it there. You have to agree those FA Regulations I cut and pasted seem to allow almost anything.

Yes I agree but they are IFAB laws so cover football worldwide.

No, you're correct I can't find the subs mentioned anywhere on the EFL website either!

Rest assured though it IS 3 from 7!
Wells? on 21:59 - Aug 9 with 971 viewsCHUBBS

I’m pretty happy with the return of Wells as he was very good for us up until The last dozen games where by he became another tired victim of Mclarens flog em to death policy.
Technically he will fit in perfectly whilst offering us a potent goal threat and I can see him and Hugill playing well together whilst we’re chasing games.
Well done Rangers for another good signing.
Wells? on 22:46 - Aug 9 with 912 viewsBoston

I haven't read the thread to be honest, just want to get on the welcome back Wells bandwagon...if there is one?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024