Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wales Online "talkin' out their a$$" 16:31 - Apr 10 with 4263 viewsDavillin

There's an old U.S. expression, blunt and crude, "talkin' out their ass." Wales Online, in their analysis of the new takeover bid are clearly "talkin' out their ass."

First, they don't know enough to make such grandiose proclamations about how necessary this "deal" is, and how wonderful it is.

"The time for change has come." Nonsense. The club will get directly from the Premier League's new contracts about three times what the suggested sale price will bring, not to the club once again, but to the shareholders. In one year, with similar amounts likely to come into the future. And if the club is sold, the new owners will ultimately benefit from it, not the club.

The event which Wales Online blame for this new bid, is "change was inevitable and it seems, following the breakdown in talks with previous interested US investors, it has now become essential."

What? How is what happened last time causing this "deal"? The suggestion is infuriating.

And this one: "it should be obvious to anyone that nothing lasts forever." I know many posters on here dislike the American sports systems, but there are clubs in all U.S. sports that have lasted a very long time without significant changes. And in the U.K. as well.

And this proposed change will not be for the good of the club, but for the financial benefit of the new -- and I guarantee, brief -- owners.

How's this for a bold prediction? "An exit strategy without the club suffering was always going to be needed, and it seems that point has come." "without the club suffering"? Where'd they get that grand prognostication? The proposed new buyer has a long record of buying, raising re-sale value, selling for a personal profit, then moving on to the next fat cow. Again, we will have zero control over who he sells it to. Maybe Tony Petty again?

How's this one? "Of course, there has been much talk of the vastly improved broadcasting deal which has made surviving this season all the more important. Yet it should be remembered that every club receives those new payments, and will quite possibly only serve to increase wages and the going rates for players." The hidden truth behind this is that, first that money is coming anyway -- sale or no sale -- and that these new "investors," whose money is going to shareholders, with the hint that they will put in substantially more. If they do, you may rest assured that they will do so fully expecting to get it all back, and more, and quickly.

How f*****g' naive can they be and run a newspaper. Perhaps they're not naive after all.

This next one pistmeoff. "Could Swansea have realistically continued as they have done? Perhaps the struggles of this year have suggested not, or not for very long at least." Here, they use a half-season of near-disaster on the pitch to justify selling out. We all know that it was a short series of managing decisions that caused that slump, not the lack of a presumed sugar daddy. Well, we know that, but Wales Online thinks it was the lack of a sugar daddy. That doesn't even qualify as naivete, which is at its essence innocence. It's just false.

Wales Online also justifies the sell-out by arguing ". . . you doubt anyone on high horses regarding shareholders profiting would not struggle themselves to ignore the temptation of setting their families up for life." Well, I'm on my high horse, and all I'd want for my shares is my original investment back, with legal interest. . . . and all of them have had that, multiplied by an astronomical figure.

This next argument is astounding: "There does, however, seem to be not the same strong opposition to this deal compared to that on the table in November 2014." For goddess' sake, it took weeks for supporters to learn the truth about that last scam, and Wales Online publishes this scam-in-itself the very next day after it was announced!

More blindness presented as an argument: "Questions will be asked how loud a voice a 21% shareholder can have in a different boardroom, one where it is not local businessmen and Swans fans, is a valid one. There are suggestions that the new owners are keen for the Trust to remain very much part of things, their role as link between decision-making and the community one of the reasons why Swansea was attractive to them, which should be welcomed and measures put in place — if they are not already — to enshrine this."

21% is nothing to write home to mother about, but Wales Online in its grandiose blindness doesn't realize that! With less than 25%, the Trust can be marginalized by the new owners in an instant, and the Trust's real share made insignificant. Virtually every poster on PlanetSwans knows that, so why doesn't Wales Online? Besides, on that one, supporters must "eat the air, promise-crammed."

And what about the parties to whom these proposed new owners will sell the club when the profit is high enough ? Will they make the same vague promise?

I love this one: "The background of those set to come into the Liberty from the States seems impressive on initial glances, the plans in keeping with that of the club’s careful ways where they have not seen ambition and aversion to risk as mutually exclusive" [emphasis added]. Well, with such a momentous event as this, I would suggest that Wales Online make judgments on more than "initial glances." HeyZeus!

The same short-sightedness almost killed us the last time. The known "investors" have reputations. Wales Online might consider some routine investigative journalism and find out what they are. There were already two posts on PlanetSwans about their past behaviour. Perhaps WalesOnline could upgrade its journalsm by hiring the posters. Or at least read PlanetSwans for better information than "initial glances" or information fed to them by deeply interested parties. The latter practice is roundly criticised.

Most curiously of all, the article's sub-title says that the club are taking "a step into the unknown." A half-truth, because we know where this is going. Buy the club, put the club in debt to make it more valuable (buy stadium and increase seating) then sell it to god-knows-who for a large personal profit, leaving us in that "step into the unknown" [cue music from "The Twilight Zone"].

I don't know about you, but the Premier League isn't worth losing the club. I don't know why some supporters are prepared to be the harlot for slick self-promoting rich guys, who come to Swansea drooling and pawing.

Article at:
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/swansea-city-never-sam
[Post edited 10 Apr 2016 16:34]

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

Wales Online "talkin' out their a$$" on 16:39 - Apr 10 with 3043 viewsNookiejack

The articles in Walesonline last night (as there was a Q&A one as well about the Takeover) all looked incredibly pre-prepared. These were not put together on the hoof.
Wales Online "talkin' out their a$$" on 16:44 - Apr 10 with 3016 viewssomersetsimon

Didn't quite follow one bit - how would putting the club in debt make it more valuable?
Wales Online "talkin' out their a$$" on 16:46 - Apr 10 with 3001 viewsexiledclaseboy

Wathan is clearly on someone's payroll and has been tasked with painting this deal in a positive light. They're adverts, not news reports.

Poll: Tory leader

Wales Online "talkin' out their a$$" on 16:49 - Apr 10 with 2973 viewsDavillin

Wales Online "talkin' out their a$$" on 16:44 - Apr 10 by somersetsimon

Didn't quite follow one bit - how would putting the club in debt make it more valuable?

Assuming the statements made so far are correct, the new "owners" would buy the stadium and upgrade it. That would increase the value of the club.

You have to understand the mentality of this kind of "investor." Debt ain't bad if it's the club's debt, and it results in a profit to the "owner" when he sells it on.

Thanks for asking that.

Wales Online "talkin' out their a$$" on 16:54 - Apr 10 with 2946 viewsairedale

If the debt was used to buy assets, such as the stadium, maybe?
Wales Online "talkin' out their a$$" on 16:56 - Apr 10 with 2935 viewsHighjack

Wales Online "talkin' out their a$$" on 16:46 - Apr 10 by exiledclaseboy

Wathan is clearly on someone's payroll and has been tasked with painting this deal in a positive light. They're adverts, not news reports.

This has been my thinking since the news broke. We need to do our own research to find out about these guys because they seem to have the media onside. I seem to remember the EP on a bended knee to petty before he arrived too.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Wales Online "talkin' out their a$$" on 16:57 - Apr 10 with 2924 viewsblueytheblue

Wales Online "talkin' out their a$$" on 16:49 - Apr 10 by Davillin

Assuming the statements made so far are correct, the new "owners" would buy the stadium and upgrade it. That would increase the value of the club.

You have to understand the mentality of this kind of "investor." Debt ain't bad if it's the club's debt, and it results in a profit to the "owner" when he sells it on.

Thanks for asking that.

Debt isn't bad if it's a serviceable debt.

I wouldn't be surprised if these Americans wanted to buy the stadium upgrade then charge the club rent; all the while eyeing the increasing TV revenue.

Poll: Alternate POTY final

Wales Online "talkin' out their a$$" on 16:58 - Apr 10 with 2914 viewsexiledclaseboy

Wales Online "talkin' out their a$$" on 16:56 - Apr 10 by Highjack

This has been my thinking since the news broke. We need to do our own research to find out about these guys because they seem to have the media onside. I seem to remember the EP on a bended knee to petty before he arrived too.

That's what the Trust is doing currently.

Login to get fewer ads

Wales Online "talkin' out their a$$" on 17:00 - Apr 10 with 2905 viewsDavillin

Wales Online "talkin' out their a$$" on 16:57 - Apr 10 by blueytheblue

Debt isn't bad if it's a serviceable debt.

I wouldn't be surprised if these Americans wanted to buy the stadium upgrade then charge the club rent; all the while eyeing the increasing TV revenue.

Possibly, but that rent would be "chump change" compared to the increased re-sale value of the club. Think like an "investor."

[I love the expression "chump change," don't you?]

Wales Online "talkin' out their a$$" on 17:01 - Apr 10 with 2892 viewssomersetsimon

Wales Online "talkin' out their a$$" on 16:49 - Apr 10 by Davillin

Thanks for asking that.

But if the new debt belongs to the club, then any new owner would have to take on that debt, which would make the sale less attractive. I guess it all depends on whether that debt has a sensible business case.

If they have to borrow 20m to increase the capacity by 10,000 and increase the profits by 5m a year, then that's worth considering.
Wales Online "talkin' out their a$$" on 17:01 - Apr 10 with 2892 viewsjacabertawe

Yes, I am normally appreciative of Wathan's objectivity, but I am beginning to smell a large rodent with the more I read.

Britishness...is a political synonym for Englishness which extends English culture over the Scots, the Welsh, and the Irish. - Gwynfor Evans

Wales Online "talkin' out their a$$" on 17:05 - Apr 10 with 2868 viewsblueytheblue

Wales Online "talkin' out their a$$" on 17:00 - Apr 10 by Davillin

Possibly, but that rent would be "chump change" compared to the increased re-sale value of the club. Think like an "investor."

[I love the expression "chump change," don't you?]

Agreed - I'd view it as rent from you and the egg chasers would be a constant income stream for their trust fund. If the stadium were to be upgraded and have licensing for entertainment events, would give more income.

Use any available facilities for corporate entertainment, income from food stalls.

Could all mount up.

Dividends from any profits go to these americans and their fund.

Eventually sell off.

The spanner in the works would be if you did relegate in which case asset stripping would go on.

Wales Online "talkin' out their a$$" on 17:06 - Apr 10 with 2857 viewsexiledclaseboy

Wales Online "talkin' out their a$$" on 17:01 - Apr 10 by jacabertawe

Yes, I am normally appreciative of Wathan's objectivity, but I am beginning to smell a large rodent with the more I read.

He's not even being subtle about it.

Wales Online "talkin' out their a$$" on 17:11 - Apr 10 with 2820 viewsHighjack

Wales Online "talkin' out their a$$" on 17:06 - Apr 10 by exiledclaseboy

He's not even being subtle about it.

Every man has his price. I imagine Chris's price is around the twenty quid mark.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Wales Online "talkin' out their a$$" on 17:16 - Apr 10 with 2801 viewslifelong

Walesonline are based in Cardiff, that's all needs to be said.
Wales Online "talkin' out their a$$" on 17:19 - Apr 10 with 2770 viewsblueytheblue

Wales Online "talkin' out their a$$" on 17:16 - Apr 10 by lifelong

Trinity Mirror often make job cuts.

Walesonline seems to feature "fan" articles more and more.

As a consequence, it's understandable a journo would run with what they've got. It's surprising it's Wathan tho, he's usually pretty good.

Wales Online "talkin' out their a$$" on 17:21 - Apr 10 with 2756 viewsPrivate_Partz

Wales Online "talkin' out their a$$" on 17:16 - Apr 10 by lifelong

My thoughts as I read Dav's post although my reasons for thinking this may be different. Basically I think our 'national' media is no friend of ours and they would love to see us crash and burn. Hence their undying support for this project even though their local club has been a financial disaster from the off when the 'investors' moved in.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Wales Online "talkin' out their a$$" on 17:24 - Apr 10 with 2737 viewsdougie

Wales Online "talkin' out their a$$" on 16:39 - Apr 10 by Nookiejack

The articles in Walesonline last night (as there was a Q&A one as well about the Takeover) all looked incredibly pre-prepared. These were not put together on the hoof.

I agree. Waltham just printed what he was given without any thought
Wales Online "talkin' out their a$$" on 17:25 - Apr 10 with 2725 viewslonglostjack

I also found his report following the Stoke game a little bizarre at the time. In the light of yesterday's revelations it seems he was preparing the ground. See
the paragraph referring to the Coats family.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/last-word-swansea-city

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Wales Online "talkin' out their a$$" on 17:43 - Apr 10 with 2668 viewsmonmouth

I always thought that the trust's war chest would be most useful for three things:

Proper due diligence
Legal and financial advice
PR campaigns to counteract the spin if necessary

Got a feeling all three might need to be in play again here plus plus. particularly the PR which seems to have real traction with our 'heroes' or to widely publicise if appropriate the real nature of the investors. It's probably the only real weapon if there are no legal obstacles and the deal isn't right for the club.

..and just to say, it's also the thing that REALLY gets on my tits - the obvious desire and belief that they can pull the wool over everyone's eyes, no matter what the true intentions. We get it. You want to line your pockets. We frigging get it. Just man up and stop pretending it's about the club. And Wathan, just man up too and do your job you silly worm.

Hopefully it's the perfect deal and the perfect match and all the nonsense is because some shareholders are brainless dicks, but my current vibe can be summed up in two words...'my arse'.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Wales Online "talkin' out their a$$" on 17:46 - Apr 10 with 2650 viewsDavillin

Wales Online "talkin' out their a$$" on 17:21 - Apr 10 by Private_Partz

My thoughts as I read Dav's post although my reasons for thinking this may be different. Basically I think our 'national' media is no friend of ours and they would love to see us crash and burn. Hence their undying support for this project even though their local club has been a financial disaster from the off when the 'investors' moved in.

Thanks, Private [soon to be Corporal]. I never thought of that.

"Misery loves company"? Or wishful/hateful thinking? Both, probably.

Wales Online "talkin' out their a$$" on 17:49 - Apr 10 with 2631 viewsDavillin

Wales Online "talkin' out their a$$" on 17:43 - Apr 10 by monmouth

I always thought that the trust's war chest would be most useful for three things:

Proper due diligence
Legal and financial advice
PR campaigns to counteract the spin if necessary

Got a feeling all three might need to be in play again here plus plus. particularly the PR which seems to have real traction with our 'heroes' or to widely publicise if appropriate the real nature of the investors. It's probably the only real weapon if there are no legal obstacles and the deal isn't right for the club.

..and just to say, it's also the thing that REALLY gets on my tits - the obvious desire and belief that they can pull the wool over everyone's eyes, no matter what the true intentions. We get it. You want to line your pockets. We frigging get it. Just man up and stop pretending it's about the club. And Wathan, just man up too and do your job you silly worm.

Hopefully it's the perfect deal and the perfect match and all the nonsense is because some shareholders are brainless dicks, but my current vibe can be summed up in two words...'my arse'.

Sadly, you're right on the money.

Or it "gladly, you're right on the money"?

What a shitstorm of the less-attractive characteristics of mankind.

Wales Online "talkin' out their a$$" on 20:11 - Apr 10 with 2469 viewsskippyjack

you see.. If i would've even suggested that.. it'd be -6, with everyone calling me a delusional c*nt.

The awkward moment when a Welsh Club become the Champions of England.. shh The Swansea Way.. To upset the odds.
Poll: Best Swans Player

Wales Online "talkin' out their a$$" on 20:15 - Apr 10 with 2445 viewsexiledclaseboy

Wales Online "talkin' out their a$$" on 20:11 - Apr 10 by skippyjack

you see.. If i would've even suggested that.. it'd be -6, with everyone calling me a delusional c*nt.

Paranoia again, Skip. You can get help for that.

Wales Online "talkin' out their a$$" on 20:15 - Apr 10 with 2445 viewsblueytheblue

Wales Online "talkin' out their a$$" on 20:11 - Apr 10 by skippyjack

Better to be thought of as a "delusional c*nt" than not thought of at all.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024