Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Paul Jewell at WBA? 14:58 - Jan 15 with 1189 viewsOsbourne

Anyone followed this rather strange story?

I remember Paul Jewell as a highly successful manager at Bradford and Wigan. In fact, in the summer I was surprised his name did not crop up for the Pool job. I bet he still lives in the Wigan area, which is not far away. He wasn't even mentioned?

Anyway, Tony Pulis, the manager at WBA, appointed Paul Jewell as his assistant just over a week ago and Jewell was involved in the training and preparation for WBA's 1-0 Premier League victory over Hull City, last Saturday. However, just before the Hull game, Tony Pulis informed Jewell of his intention to recruit Gerry Francis (the ex England captain). Jewell, along with Pulis's other assistant coach, Dave Kemp, were told they would have to accept a decrease in salary, to enable Gerry Francis to join!

Jewell then continued to work for WBA, by going on scouting duties to Blackburn v Wolves on Sunday. Jewell also explained to Pulis, that he would not accept the abrupt change in terms!

Jewell has now left WBA and said, "The departure was not by mutual consent and it is in the hands of my lawyer".

What a strange story! Is Tony Pulis a little indecisive?!

Paul Jewell did have real success with Bradford City and then Wigan. He is only 50. I wonder why Pool were floated with a "Bryan Flynn Revolution" in the summer, if this guy was available?
[Post edited 15 Jan 2015 15:00]
Paul Jewell at WBA? on 15:29 - Jan 15 with 1168 viewsWizaard

I do know Pulis is not involved with recruitment at WBA; that's all part of the Director of Football's role. He's there to coach and obviously has a set budget for coaching staff.

Strange though.
Paul Jewell at WBA? on 21:20 - Jan 15 with 1105 viewsOsbourne

Paul Jewell at WBA? on 15:29 - Jan 15 by Wizaard

I do know Pulis is not involved with recruitment at WBA; that's all part of the Director of Football's role. He's there to coach and obviously has a set budget for coaching staff.

Strange though.

Tony Pulis when asked if Paul Jewell's exit was because of a pay cut, said :

"You'd have to speak to Paul. For me to talk about someone else and what they think or don't think, that's wrong. Paul will talk about that".

Talk now, that Paul Jewell will join up with Steve Bruce at Hull City.
[Post edited 15 Jan 2015 21:20]
Paul Jewell at WBA? on 21:26 - Jan 15 with 1100 viewsbasilrobbiereborn

Paul Jewell at WBA? on 21:20 - Jan 15 by Osbourne

Tony Pulis when asked if Paul Jewell's exit was because of a pay cut, said :

"You'd have to speak to Paul. For me to talk about someone else and what they think or don't think, that's wrong. Paul will talk about that".

Talk now, that Paul Jewell will join up with Steve Bruce at Hull City.
[Post edited 15 Jan 2015 21:20]

I think Jewell's time has been and gone, to be honest. I'm amazed that Pulis keeps doing it really, I'd love to know more about his methods.

Icon? It's all Rio Ferdinand's fault.
Blog: pause for breath

Paul Jewell at WBA? on 23:17 - Jan 15 with 1065 viewsOsbourne

Paul Jewell at WBA? on 21:26 - Jan 15 by basilrobbiereborn

I think Jewell's time has been and gone, to be honest. I'm amazed that Pulis keeps doing it really, I'd love to know more about his methods.

Yes basil,

I've only just realised that Tony Pulis himself has only just taken over at WBA.

Gerry Francis? Blimey, where has he suddenly appeared from?

I quite liked Jewell, he did well at Bradford and Wigan. I heard from someone, that more recently he has been a Sky pundit? I do not have or watch Sky very often.

Hope that he re-appears at Hull City. He is only 50, surely he could come again in his own right as a manager?

As for Tony Pulis, I need to do my homework on him. Was he Crystal Palace pre or post Ian Holloway. It must of been pre? In fact it was post!

Holloway must be under pressure at Millwall now. The Millwall fans will be massively disappointed to of missed out of a go at Mourinho's Chelsea at Stamford Bridge in the 4th round of the FA Cup. Millwall have announced a refund of tickets to the fans who travelled to the 0-4 at Bradford last night. Holloway is having real trouble there.
[Post edited 15 Jan 2015 23:26]
Paul Jewell at WBA? on 00:49 - Jan 16 with 1043 viewscheshire_tangerine

Paul Jewell at WBA? on 23:17 - Jan 15 by Osbourne

Yes basil,

I've only just realised that Tony Pulis himself has only just taken over at WBA.

Gerry Francis? Blimey, where has he suddenly appeared from?

I quite liked Jewell, he did well at Bradford and Wigan. I heard from someone, that more recently he has been a Sky pundit? I do not have or watch Sky very often.

Hope that he re-appears at Hull City. He is only 50, surely he could come again in his own right as a manager?

As for Tony Pulis, I need to do my homework on him. Was he Crystal Palace pre or post Ian Holloway. It must of been pre? In fact it was post!

Holloway must be under pressure at Millwall now. The Millwall fans will be massively disappointed to of missed out of a go at Mourinho's Chelsea at Stamford Bridge in the 4th round of the FA Cup. Millwall have announced a refund of tickets to the fans who travelled to the 0-4 at Bradford last night. Holloway is having real trouble there.
[Post edited 15 Jan 2015 23:26]

"Gerry Francis? Blimey, where has he suddenly appeared from?"

I think you'll find he's worked with Tony Pullis since 2008.
Paul Jewell at WBA? on 08:07 - Jan 16 with 1019 viewsOsbourne

Paul Jewell at WBA? on 00:49 - Jan 16 by cheshire_tangerine

"Gerry Francis? Blimey, where has he suddenly appeared from?"

I think you'll find he's worked with Tony Pullis since 2008.

Cheshire tangerine,

I enjoy this posting board as it is an information sharer. I don't mind admitting that my knowledge on Tony Pulis or is it Pullis is limited. My knowledge on WBA is limited too!

Tony Pulis was post Holloway at Crystal Palace. I think that Pulis walked in the summer of 2014. Missed the first half of the 2014-15 season and has just returned with WBA. If Gerry Francis is his buddy, then why has he strung Paul Jewell along for a week and then told him that "Big Gerry" is coming and you "Jewelly" will have to take a pay cut. Probably also told Jewell that "Big Gerry" is the official assistant manager, but if you want to hang around "Jewelly" to be the official tea maker at half time, that's fine. However, I am moving you over to the minimum wage.

Tony Pulis use to be indecisive, now he is simply not so sure!

The story is amusing, ridiculous and chaotic. I hope that Paul Jewell gets his job at Hull City. He would be much better off with Steve Bruce anyway.

Where has big Gerry Francis been since the summer of 2014? I hope he has found time to have a haircut and come to think of it a shave and a bath. Not a fan then!
[Post edited 16 Jan 2015 8:18]
Paul Jewell at WBA? on 12:25 - Jan 16 with 963 viewscrewcut

Paul Jewell at WBA? on 21:26 - Jan 15 by basilrobbiereborn

I think part of his method is the old school fear factor. Bit of the Alex Ferguson about him, just a bit mind. Remember him butting James Beattie some years ago in the showers after a game.

Something that one or two Pool fans might have considered doing to him after his lackluster displays here for a short, yet important time.

Tight defensive units with no quarter given and odd goal victories seems to be his main m/o on pitch.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024