Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Chagos Islands 22:42 - Oct 3 with 956 viewsKilkennyjack

Great news.

Beware of the Risen People

Chagos Islands on 23:57 - Oct 3 with 898 viewsmajorraglan

This is in some ways an unexpected development which has been met by different reactions in different quarters. Some see it as a positive development where Britain is finally complying with an ICJ Court case result while others see it as a detrimental move and a betrayal by the new government. In truth, it’s a lot more complicated than that.

There’s been a lot of anger at the Conservative Party Conference including sharp words from the 4 prospective leaders which is somewhat ironic given that it was Liz Truss who set the ball rolling in 2022 when she opened the discussions on sovereignty with Mauritius’s PM. Following the talks Truss directed James Cleverly to get the ball rolling and tasked him with sorting the transfer out, Cleverly anticipated it would be finalised in “early 2023” but by the time he left his post as FS to become the Home Secretary it still hadn't been finalised. When Cameron took over as Foreign Sec. he suspended the discussions, but clearly some work has gone on in the background. Tugendhat was the only one who made reference to the work on the transfer of sovereignty being initiated by the pre ious Conservative government.

It’s a long standing issue and the ICJ and UN have both stated that the islands should be returned to Mauritius. Hopefully a sensible deal which meets the needs of the U.K./US who want to retain a base at Diego Garcia and the people of Mauritius/the Chagos Islands has been agreed will ensure everyone is reasonably happy.
Chagos Islands on 08:15 - Oct 4 with 822 viewsAnotherJohn

One interesting aspect of this is that some of the strongest opposition is coming from the Chagossians. In 2022, the UK government created a path for individuals of Chagossian descent to gain British nationality. It allows them to become British citizens at no cost, and live in the UK. Bear in mind that Mauritius is 1,300 miles from the Chagos Islands, that there is an ethnically mixed population of persons of Indian, African, Chinese and mixed ("Creole") descent, and that Chagossians in Mauritius are an ethnic minority (usually counted as Creoles) who have been treated as 2nd class citizens. Mauritians never lived in any numbers on the islands. A UK representative of Chagossian Voices (pressure group) interviewed on the radio today expressed strong opposition to the deal, saying that the community had not been consulted and wanted to stay under British protection. He suggested that Mauritius sees this as an economic opportunity and was likely to lease the fishing rights and perhaps a foothold on one of the smaller islands to the PRC. What the Chagossians really want is to go back to the Islands as British citizens, maybe taking over some of the work done by about 2,000 Filipino migrant workers who service the Diego Garcia base, The Times reports today that in private the US were against the deal. Their concern is that a Chinese listening post in the area would compromise security. Some are saying this opens up major problems with other British overseas territories, like the Falklands and Gibraltar, and is another example of the lack of political nous in the new government. As I write this, Jonathan Powell on Radio 4 is disputing much of this, of course.
[Post edited 4 Oct 8:30]
Chagos Islands on 10:26 - Oct 4 with 773 viewsKeithHaynes

Well, let’s see how they get on without UK support.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Chagos Islands on 11:15 - Oct 4 with 757 viewsunion_jack

Chagos Islands on 08:15 - Oct 4 by AnotherJohn

One interesting aspect of this is that some of the strongest opposition is coming from the Chagossians. In 2022, the UK government created a path for individuals of Chagossian descent to gain British nationality. It allows them to become British citizens at no cost, and live in the UK. Bear in mind that Mauritius is 1,300 miles from the Chagos Islands, that there is an ethnically mixed population of persons of Indian, African, Chinese and mixed ("Creole") descent, and that Chagossians in Mauritius are an ethnic minority (usually counted as Creoles) who have been treated as 2nd class citizens. Mauritians never lived in any numbers on the islands. A UK representative of Chagossian Voices (pressure group) interviewed on the radio today expressed strong opposition to the deal, saying that the community had not been consulted and wanted to stay under British protection. He suggested that Mauritius sees this as an economic opportunity and was likely to lease the fishing rights and perhaps a foothold on one of the smaller islands to the PRC. What the Chagossians really want is to go back to the Islands as British citizens, maybe taking over some of the work done by about 2,000 Filipino migrant workers who service the Diego Garcia base, The Times reports today that in private the US were against the deal. Their concern is that a Chinese listening post in the area would compromise security. Some are saying this opens up major problems with other British overseas territories, like the Falklands and Gibraltar, and is another example of the lack of political nous in the new government. As I write this, Jonathan Powell on Radio 4 is disputing much of this, of course.
[Post edited 4 Oct 8:30]

It amazes me that those who say ‘great news’ to this purely as they believe in stripping the UK of any authority in the world due to their narrow mindedness, don’t reference any of this. Same old people who wear that bag of spuds on their shoulders with deluded pride!

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Chagos Islands on 12:22 - Oct 4 with 722 viewsKilkennyjack

Chagos Islands on 10:26 - Oct 4 by KeithHaynes

Well, let’s see how they get on without UK support.

No country has ever asked to rejoin, so the odds are in their favour.

And most of the world seems to be approving.

This is progress.

Chagos Islands on 12:23 - Oct 4 with 721 viewsKilkennyjack

Chagos Islands on 11:15 - Oct 4 by union_jack

It amazes me that those who say ‘great news’ to this purely as they believe in stripping the UK of any authority in the world due to their narrow mindedness, don’t reference any of this. Same old people who wear that bag of spuds on their shoulders with deluded pride!

Or maybe you hold an outdated and minority view ?

Hows taking back control working out for you ? 🇬🇧

Chagos Islands on 12:46 - Oct 4 with 709 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

Chagos Islands on 12:23 - Oct 4 by Kilkennyjack

Talking of minority views do you still believe Princess Kate is faking her cancer?

Poll: We all dream of a managerial team of Alan Tates?

Chagos Islands on 12:56 - Oct 4 with 703 viewsAnotherJohn

Jonathan Powell (chief UK negotiator) says the US was happy with the deal. Some journalists say that serious concerns were expressed in private. Guess we will find out eventually.

Can't show full article because of the Times pay wall.

"Keir Starmer gave up Chagos Islands despite private US warnings"
Aubrey Allegretti

Thursday 3 October 2024
|
The Times
Login to get fewer ads

Chagos Islands on 13:53 - Oct 4 with 665 viewsunion_jack

In answer to the question, it’s neither working out well or badly. If we’d stayed in the EU, we’d be no better off either. It will be some time before evidence becomes available as to the wiseness of Brexit and even then there’ll be differing opinions from either side of the fence. Marginally, and only marginally I feel being out is better but really it’s the finest of margins.

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Chagos Islands on 17:39 - Oct 4 with 603 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

Argies are sabre rattling over the Falkland’s again. Everyone and their dog can see Starmer and Lammy will just capitulate to all and sundry

Chagos Islands on 17:48 - Oct 4 with 601 viewsSullutaCreturned

Chagos Islands on 17:39 - Oct 4 by Joesus_Of_Narbereth

Argies are sabre rattling over the Falkland’s again. Everyone and their dog can see Starmer and Lammy will just capitulate to all and sundry

The real difference there is that the Falklanders are massively in favour of staying with the UK. They ghad a vote which was, I believe, 99.8% in favour of remaining British on a 92% turnout.
Chagos Islands on 18:11 - Oct 4 with 589 viewsAnotherJohn

Chagos Islands on 17:48 - Oct 4 by SullutaCreturned

The real difference there is that the Falklanders are massively in favour of staying with the UK. They ghad a vote which was, I believe, 99.8% in favour of remaining British on a 92% turnout.

Well, the spokesperson for Chagossian Voices interviewed by various media sources today said his people want to stay under British protection. It seems that there are some who support the deal, but many who do not. Apart from Chagossians, few if any Mauritians have ever lived on the Chagos Islands - they are 1300 miles apart.

https://news.sky.com/video/chagossians-feel-betrayed-as-uk-hands-over-sovereignt

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13922547/Chagossians-accuse-Sir-Keir-St

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cy78ejg71exo
[Post edited 4 Oct 20:09]
Chagos Islands on 18:16 - Oct 4 with 580 viewspencoedjack

Chagos Islands on 12:46 - Oct 4 by Joesus_Of_Narbereth

Talking of minority views do you still believe Princess Kate is faking her cancer?

I see he hasn’t replied

Horrible human being who supports British troops & civilians being bombed
Chagos Islands on 21:39 - Oct 4 with 493 viewsKeithHaynes

Chagos Islands on 17:39 - Oct 4 by Joesus_Of_Narbereth

They can’t, if they do there will be uproar.

British lives were lost taking back those islands.

Tantamount to treason by the freebie faker.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Chagos Islands on 01:10 - Oct 5 with 422 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

Chagos Islands on 21:39 - Oct 4 by KeithHaynes

They don’t seem to give a flying toss about British people here in Britain. Why would they care about British folk living thousands of miles away in the south Atlantic? They’ve been talking about “decolonisation” for years. This is just the beginning.

Chagos Islands on 11:35 - Oct 5 with 329 viewsonehunglow

Chagos Islands on 21:39 - Oct 4 by KeithHaynes

I’d suggest this Labour administration will prove to be more callous,incompetent and corrupt that the Tory ones of late .
They will certainly be the most hypocritical
“ working people” ….now there you have it . Mugs

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Chagos Islands on 11:42 - Oct 5 with 324 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

Chagos Islands on 11:35 - Oct 5 by onehunglow

I’d suggest this Labour administration will prove to be more callous,incompetent and corrupt that the Tory ones of late .
They will certainly be the most hypocritical
“ working people” ….now there you have it . Mugs

It turns out that the lawyer appointed by Mauritius to fight for this handover is one of Starmers best mates.

It’s a small world isn’t it? The things people will do for a nice holiday home.

Chagos Islands on 11:55 - Oct 5 with 302 viewsFlashberryjack

Chagos Islands on 17:48 - Oct 4 by SullutaCreturned

What the Falkland Islanders want, and what Starmer and Lammy want are two different things, they didn't respect the result of our referendum, so why should they respect the views of people living thousands of miles away.

If the Argies rattles the sabre just a little louder, Keir and Lammy will cave in like a wet paper bag.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Chagos Islands on 12:01 - Oct 5 with 298 viewsGwyn737

Chagos Islands on 23:57 - Oct 3 by majorraglan

This is in some ways an unexpected development which has been met by different reactions in different quarters. Some see it as a positive development where Britain is finally complying with an ICJ Court case result while others see it as a detrimental move and a betrayal by the new government. In truth, it’s a lot more complicated than that.

There’s been a lot of anger at the Conservative Party Conference including sharp words from the 4 prospective leaders which is somewhat ironic given that it was Liz Truss who set the ball rolling in 2022 when she opened the discussions on sovereignty with Mauritius’s PM. Following the talks Truss directed James Cleverly to get the ball rolling and tasked him with sorting the transfer out, Cleverly anticipated it would be finalised in “early 2023” but by the time he left his post as FS to become the Home Secretary it still hadn't been finalised. When Cameron took over as Foreign Sec. he suspended the discussions, but clearly some work has gone on in the background. Tugendhat was the only one who made reference to the work on the transfer of sovereignty being initiated by the pre ious Conservative government.

It’s a long standing issue and the ICJ and UN have both stated that the islands should be returned to Mauritius. Hopefully a sensible deal which meets the needs of the U.K./US who want to retain a base at Diego Garcia and the people of Mauritius/the Chagos Islands has been agreed will ensure everyone is reasonably happy.

James Cleverly who initiated the work on this calls Labour ‘Weal, weak weak’ for completing it.

How does that work?

Robert Jenrick says “It’s taken three months for Starmer to surrender Britain’s strategic interests.” when all they’ve done is continue Tory policy.

I don’t know enough about the situation to say whether it’s a good or bad thing. What it is is UK policy over time.

I’ve not seen anything about giving back the Falklands as yet. Can’t see it myself.
Chagos Islands on 16:43 - Oct 5 with 244 viewsKilkennyjack

Chagos Islands on 18:16 - Oct 4 by pencoedjack

I see he hasn’t replied

Horrible human being who supports British troops & civilians being bombed

No i dont, family in the forces like most people.

I do believe in both an Indy Wales and a United Ireland.
The union is out of date for the modern world, i think thats fairly self evident.

Brexit is costing us, Bloomberg found that Brexit is costing the UK economy £100 billion a year.
Thats less opportunities, less jobs, less money for schools, hospitals and armed forces.
Plus more migrants than before Brexit.

You have been sold a right pup by posh boy Johnson.
You should have thought it through.

Chagos Islands on 17:49 - Oct 5 with 207 viewsonehunglow

Chagos Islands on 11:42 - Oct 5 by Joesus_Of_Narbereth

It turns out that the lawyer appointed by Mauritius to fight for this handover is one of Starmers best mates.

It’s a small world isn’t it? The things people will do for a nice holiday home.

You’re not suggesting lawyers are slippery ,surely

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Chagos Islands on 19:58 - Oct 5 with 142 viewsLuther27

Chagos Islands on 16:43 - Oct 5 by Kilkennyjack

No i dont, family in the forces like most people.

I do believe in both an Indy Wales and a United Ireland.
The union is out of date for the modern world, i think thats fairly self evident.

Brexit is costing us, Bloomberg found that Brexit is costing the UK economy £100 billion a year.
Thats less opportunities, less jobs, less money for schools, hospitals and armed forces.
Plus more migrants than before Brexit.

You have been sold a right pup by posh boy Johnson.
You should have thought it through.

Why are all these illegals waltzing through the paradise of the EU to come to broken Britain?

Blog: Grenfell Tower

Chagos Islands on 20:07 - Oct 5 with 128 viewsDr_Winston

Another capitulation by the Starmer Govt. The way things are going I'd expect Lammy to hand control of the Channel Islands to France any day now.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Chagos Islands on 20:36 - Oct 5 with 85 viewsKilkennyjack

Chagos Islands on 19:58 - Oct 5 by Luther27

Why are all these illegals waltzing through the paradise of the EU to come to broken Britain?

This looks like a pull factor, plus the English language …. ?

The acceptance rate of migrants.
U.K. 76%
Spain 11.3%
France 28%
Germany 55.7%
The EU overall just 14%’

If correct ….?

Chagos Islands on 22:16 - Oct 5 with 45 viewsmajorraglan

Chagos Islands on 12:01 - Oct 5 by Gwyn737

James Cleverly who initiated the work on this calls Labour ‘Weal, weak weak’ for completing it.

How does that work?

Robert Jenrick says “It’s taken three months for Starmer to surrender Britain’s strategic interests.” when all they’ve done is continue Tory policy.

I don’t know enough about the situation to say whether it’s a good or bad thing. What it is is UK policy over time.

I’ve not seen anything about giving back the Falklands as yet. Can’t see it myself.

It’s crackers, how on earth Cleverly can say that when he was charged with and carried out a significant amount of the negotiations at Truss’s behest is unbelievable.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024