Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Should Dykes play alongside Field in midfield 05:22 - Aug 18 with 4682 viewssmudgehoop

Given that Colback will be suspended and Varance looks a little lightweight as he finds his feet, should we move Dykes from attack to defensive midfield?

He is defensively a strong player IMHO. He is tall, phyisically strong, can win tackes and win headers. Plus he has a good press and can break up play.

Is this worth a try or am I being too optimistic in thinking Dykes is good enough to do this?

Should Dykes play alongside Field in midfield on 06:53 - Aug 18 with 4397 viewsdmm

For me, no. Dykes doesn't have the football technique or nous to play in midfield. Either Varane or EDB would be much better options.
Should Dykes play alongside Field in midfield on 07:36 - Aug 18 with 4232 viewsChurchie

Dykes lack of goals is because he never had decent feed.
OK he missed.a few but all strikers do. With our new mid field he will score goals when he is fully fit. And Marti knows it that's why he's there.
Should Dykes play alongside Field in midfield on 08:05 - Aug 18 with 4097 viewsParkRoyalR

Should Dykes play alongside Field in midfield on 07:36 - Aug 18 by Churchie

Dykes lack of goals is because he never had decent feed.
OK he missed.a few but all strikers do. With our new mid field he will score goals when he is fully fit. And Marti knows it that's why he's there.

2 goals in 3 before yesterday so now 3 in 4, hopefully with Saito one side playing head up first time passes and Dembele's crossing ability Dykes can deliver the 1 in 3 ratio 15+ goals he has the ability to,

With Saito on the left, Dembele on the right and Chair given a free role in the middle, this attack needs a mobile bullying target man, a role we know Dykes can play.
Should Dykes play alongside Field in midfield on 08:21 - Aug 18 with 4002 viewsMedwayR

I think Dykes best position is more of a 10/deep CF. He’s played it before and looked useful, and if played with Celar ahead of him and 2 of Chair/Dembele/Saito either side he’d bring some physical presence which would otherwise be missing.

Poll: Who’s better?

Should Dykes play alongside Field in midfield on 10:02 - Aug 18 with 3679 viewsWatford_Ranger

No. Just no. Please no.
Should Dykes play alongside Field in midfield on 10:16 - Aug 18 with 3609 viewsMole_Senior

Joelinton has done it for Newcastle so not completely beyond the realms of possibility 🤷🏻‍♂️

I do strongly believe that Colback should not start another game for us. Utterly brainless 🤯
Should Dykes play alongside Field in midfield on 10:31 - Aug 18 with 3506 viewsdmm

Should Dykes play alongside Field in midfield on 10:02 - Aug 18 by Watford_Ranger

No. Just no. Please no.

Should Dykes play alongside Field in midfield on 10:41 - Aug 18 with 3419 viewsgazza1

Just because Dykes scored a good goal yesterday many now think he is a decent player......sadly he is not and MC knows that hence why he was No 3 choice yesterday.

Pleased for him yesterday but I think that he needs to move on to get regular 1st team football.
Login to get fewer ads

Should Dykes play alongside Field in midfield on 11:00 - Aug 18 with 3336 viewshoops_legend

Should Dykes play alongside Field in midfield on 10:02 - Aug 18 by Watford_Ranger

No. Just no. Please no.

He’s certainly not a midfielder - just watch his technique and you will see that

However i was pleasantly surprised with his finish test - perhaps sign of future with his new barnet…

Poll: Would you rather win league cup or survive?

Should Dykes play alongside Field in midfield on 11:04 - Aug 18 with 3304 viewsParkRoyalR

Should Dykes play alongside Field in midfield on 10:41 - Aug 18 by gazza1

Just because Dykes scored a good goal yesterday many now think he is a decent player......sadly he is not and MC knows that hence why he was No 3 choice yesterday.

Pleased for him yesterday but I think that he needs to move on to get regular 1st team football.

Coming back from injury, Marti nearly pushed us back into the permanent drop zone last year by starting Frey & Armstrong ahead of Dykes, time will tell if Marti repeats that mistake.
Should Dykes play alongside Field in midfield on 12:49 - Aug 18 with 3054 viewsNorthantsHoop

Not the answer in midfield but if service is improved to him up front as per yesterday centre forward probably his best position. The trouble with Dykes is the longer he has to think to finish an opportunity he usually misses but an instinctive strike or header he tends to score. Yesterday prime example of this with his goal, hit perfectly without time to think.
Should Dykes play alongside Field in midfield on 12:50 - Aug 18 with 3046 viewsNorthernr

Lovely goal that one, great finish.
Should Dykes play alongside Field in midfield on 12:56 - Aug 18 with 2998 viewsParkRoyalR

Should Dykes play alongside Field in midfield on 12:50 - Aug 18 by Northernr

Yes, and what he learnt from Austin and doesn't do enough was when he checked & held his run at the key moment to create that extra yard of space in front of himself to get the shot off.
Should Dykes play alongside Field in midfield on 12:58 - Aug 18 with 2988 viewsNorthernr

Should Dykes play alongside Field in midfield on 12:56 - Aug 18 by ParkRoyalR

Yes, and what he learnt from Austin and doesn't do enough was when he checked & held his run at the key moment to create that extra yard of space in front of himself to get the shot off.

And, I guess he would say, somebody provided good EARLY service.
Should Dykes play alongside Field in midfield on 13:04 - Aug 18 with 2916 viewsParkRoyalR

Should Dykes play alongside Field in midfield on 12:58 - Aug 18 by Northernr

And, I guess he would say, somebody provided good EARLY service.

His nuisance factor created the run for Saito in the first place as attacked JCSs diagonal which drew both defenders and in the chaos none of them got a head on it,

If Saito, Dembele & Chair are to excel this season we need either Dykes or Frey in this role as not sure Celar is suited to this particular role in the Championship.

Time will tell.
Should Dykes play alongside Field in midfield on 13:15 - Aug 18 with 2847 viewskensalriser

Should Dykes play alongside Field in midfield on 12:50 - Aug 18 by Northernr

It really was. Gets better every time you watch it too. He knew what he was doing, was screaming for the pass and found the spot most likely to result in a goal.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Should Dykes play alongside Field in midfield on 13:21 - Aug 18 with 2781 viewsQPR_Hibs

Should Dykes play alongside Field in midfield on 13:04 - Aug 18 by ParkRoyalR

His nuisance factor created the run for Saito in the first place as attacked JCSs diagonal which drew both defenders and in the chaos none of them got a head on it,

If Saito, Dembele & Chair are to excel this season we need either Dykes or Frey in this role as not sure Celar is suited to this particular role in the Championship.

Time will tell.

Good point about his nuisance factor in creating the chance.

Makes it even more laughable that some Sheff Utd fan on the BBC was claiming that Saito was "definitely offside."

"Remember to listen to me but look at her. Don't get it the wrong way round. That would be hideous."

Should Dykes play alongside Field in midfield on 14:45 - Aug 18 with 2482 viewsCiderwithRsie

Didn't he fill in for us in midfield in one game last season, and do OK? Not the same thing at all, though, and I tear my hair out at the idea of Varane being written off this early.

I think Nardi, Celar, Varane, Dembele and Saito will all play regularly. I don't think the club is as scatter-gun as some previous recruitment rounds and all those signings seem to me very targeted on what the team needs right now, with the likes of Bennie, Morrison and Santos maybe more speculative.

Personally I think the first five are all good enough even if they make some time to bed into the specific demands of this league and I expect Celar to be our first choice striker. But I can see Dykes playing a role as sub, cover etc alongside Frey and being slightly out of the spotlight might help him a bit.

Good luck to him anyway, has never hidden or buggered us about with transfer requests, I like the guy even if I'm not convinced by him.
Should Dykes play alongside Field in midfield on 21:13 - Aug 18 with 2101 viewsnumptydumpty

Dykes does score some brilliantly taken goals.

However they are very spread out.

He fumbles with the goals an out and out striker would consider tap ins.

Is it focus, lack of confidence....

He was tried in centre mid last year - its a no from me !!!
[Post edited 18 Aug 21:13]

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Should Dykes play alongside Field in midfield on 21:26 - Aug 18 with 2063 viewsMick_S

Should Dykes play alongside Field in midfield on 21:13 - Aug 18 by numptydumpty

Dykes does score some brilliantly taken goals.

However they are very spread out.

He fumbles with the goals an out and out striker would consider tap ins.

Is it focus, lack of confidence....

He was tried in centre mid last year - its a no from me !!!
[Post edited 18 Aug 21:13]

We might see what he’s got this season given the new options that should come his way. I like the bloke and hope it works for him.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Should Dykes play alongside Field in midfield on 22:26 - Aug 18 with 1854 viewsEsox_Lucius

3 in his last 4 needs to improved upon if he wants to keep his place.

The grass is always greener.

Should Dykes play alongside Field in midfield on 22:38 - Aug 18 with 1805 viewswombat

Should Dykes play alongside Field in midfield on 22:26 - Aug 18 by Esox_Lucius

3 in his last 4 needs to improved upon if he wants to keep his place.

Won’t be easy if he’s somehow behind old man Frey in the starting line up

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Should Dykes play alongside Field in midfield on 00:29 - Aug 19 with 1611 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Should Dykes play alongside Field in midfield on 13:21 - Aug 18 by QPR_Hibs

Good point about his nuisance factor in creating the chance.

Makes it even more laughable that some Sheff Utd fan on the BBC was claiming that Saito was "definitely offside."

Sheffield United fans should be asking why they did not win that game 3 or 4 -0 not blaming the lino for correctly keeping his flag down.
They looked home and dry at the half and probably expected us to roll over completly but they did not factor in the new fighting QPR spirt and we could easily have won it I feel
Should Dykes play alongside Field in midfield on 02:10 - Aug 19 with 1548 viewsLoft1979

Should Dykes play alongside Field in midfield on 00:29 - Aug 19 by CLAREMAN1995

Sheffield United fans should be asking why they did not win that game 3 or 4 -0 not blaming the lino for correctly keeping his flag down.
They looked home and dry at the half and probably expected us to roll over completly but they did not factor in the new fighting QPR spirt and we could easily have won it I feel

I have been highly critical of Dykes. But what he did yesterday expressed our frustration.
All we want is that ! The finish was epic. In measure consider Michy and Jan both had similar opportunities. Maybe we have OUR Lyndon back!!

To add to the conversation about the re-constituted MF: I see Field sitting in front of the CBs, then Varane in the pivot, with Karaoke ahead of him. Field then can protect Varane who can use his passing range. No doubt there will be a rotation (Home vs away).
[Post edited 19 Aug 23:04]
Should Dykes play alongside Field in midfield on 07:03 - Aug 19 with 1213 viewsQPROslo

I think the sort of player we need alongside Field in the midfield 2 in the 4 2 3 1 is someone like Colback at his best 2nd half Saturday until his brainfart, able to hold the ball and make those short passes and move into space in crowded midfields. I've not really seen that in Dykes over the years. As another poster wrote I can see him being effective in the withdrawn striker role almost a 10 with the likes of Dembele and Saito ( or the improving Smith) outside him and Celar or Frey a little further forward. I've seen him play well in that sort of role before. I guess it will be Varane or EDB alongside Field against Plymouth.
[Post edited 19 Aug 7:04]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024