Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How to save the League Cup. 23:43 - Aug 13 with 4247 viewsGaryHaddock

Is it the most tedious competition in the calendar? Why not merge it with the cup competitions of other UK nations?

Aberdeen or Larne sounds fun on a Tuesday night. Would freshen it up a bit and distribute some finances across the other UK leagues teams.

Maybe even get the ROI involved.
[Post edited 13 Aug 23:48]
How to save the League Cup. on 05:58 - Aug 14 with 3629 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Back door entry to a British league might be one deterrent, and the effect on allocating the number of spots for each mation for Euro competitions might be another.

Plus, imagine the inconvenience if say, last night's game was actually played at Aberdeen or Derry?

Personally, if it were up to me: I'd just scrap it!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

How to save the League Cup. on 06:19 - Aug 14 with 3591 viewsSK_hoops

Get rid of prem teams and scrap the Johnson's paint trophy or whatever it's called. Would take the gloss of winning it off a bit, but how many non prem teams have won it in recent years anyway?
How to save the League Cup. on 08:32 - Aug 14 with 3415 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Force all teams to play in it, and enforce FA rules that teams cannot play weakened teams e.g. max five changes from the last league game.

There are only three major competitions in English football. We can't fall for the premier league crap that all three can't be run off with dignity and respect.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

How to save the League Cup. on 09:11 - Aug 14 with 3318 viewsToast_R

Give the winner a Champons league Spot. At the end of the day, the EFL Cup winners are Champions which is more that can be said for the majority of the clubs who qualify for it.
How to save the League Cup. on 10:00 - Aug 14 with 3237 viewsBluce_Ree

How to save the League Cup. on 09:11 - Aug 14 by Toast_R

Give the winner a Champons league Spot. At the end of the day, the EFL Cup winners are Champions which is more that can be said for the majority of the clubs who qualify for it.

This is probably the way forward.

Stefan Moore, Stefan Moore running down the wing. Stefan Moore, Stefan Moore running down the wing. He runs like a cheetah, his crosses couldn't be sweeter. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore.

How to save the League Cup. on 10:07 - Aug 14 with 3213 viewsdaveB

I've always thought the 1st 2 rounds should be part of pre season so you get competitive games but clubs would rather have the money and go on tour

It's a great competition and if clubs don't want to be in then get beat and go back to worrying about finishing 16th

In the championship you only have 4 chances to win a trophy, the 2 cups, league and playoffs. With the finances in football the chances of winning any of them are tiny but the more of these you get rid of the less chance of actually winning something
How to save the League Cup. on 10:11 - Aug 14 with 3193 viewsGaryBannister86

How to save the League Cup. on 10:07 - Aug 14 by daveB

I've always thought the 1st 2 rounds should be part of pre season so you get competitive games but clubs would rather have the money and go on tour

It's a great competition and if clubs don't want to be in then get beat and go back to worrying about finishing 16th

In the championship you only have 4 chances to win a trophy, the 2 cups, league and playoffs. With the finances in football the chances of winning any of them are tiny but the more of these you get rid of the less chance of actually winning something

Bang on. All I ever hear about is how rubbish the cup is yet get to the semis and there are sellouts and even the top sides now playing their best teams.

I see WBA sacked off their cup run yesterday with 11 changes. What's the point? So they can lose in the playoffs? Looking at their side, with a couple of decent draws the quarter finals easily within their reach. But no, let's save those legs for some relative long-shot to happen, which could still blooming well happen if they were still in the cup!

Will never understand it, never.
How to save the League Cup. on 11:51 - Aug 14 with 3047 viewsHayesender

The ones that really get me is your West Hams, Wolves, Brightons etc. They sack it off, just so they can finnish somewhere between 8th and 14th

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Login to get fewer ads

How to save the League Cup. on 16:54 - Aug 14 with 2852 viewsMedwayR

How to save the League Cup. on 06:19 - Aug 14 by SK_hoops

Get rid of prem teams and scrap the Johnson's paint trophy or whatever it's called. Would take the gloss of winning it off a bit, but how many non prem teams have won it in recent years anyway?

This is how I feel too. In addition, I'd consider making the Community Shield between the cup winners.

Poll: Who’s better?

How to save the League Cup. on 01:24 - Aug 15 with 2611 viewsstainrods_elbow

How to save the League Cup. on 08:32 - Aug 14 by BrianMcCarthy

Force all teams to play in it, and enforce FA rules that teams cannot play weakened teams e.g. max five changes from the last league game.

There are only three major competitions in English football. We can't fall for the premier league crap that all three can't be run off with dignity and respect.

This!

It's the one cup we've won! (Which I held in my hands when I was working briefly at HQ.)

This idea that everything has to be 'revamped' (let alone 'saved') is late modern/sub New Labour codswallop. What needs to be enforced is respect for the competition along the lines suggested here, with sobering fines and penalties for non-compliance.

Warnock's attitude to it was shocking, but Cifuentes treating the 2nd half at Cambridge like a training game/friendly with all his poxy substitutions is part of the problem - where's the respect for the match and the fans? He got lucky, and we only won in the end in spite of our half-baked game mismanagement.
[Post edited 15 Aug 8:13]

Poll: How many points will we manage from our first 5 games with this squad?

How to save the League Cup. on 07:20 - Aug 15 with 2521 viewsGaryHaddock

How to save the League Cup. on 16:54 - Aug 14 by MedwayR

This is how I feel too. In addition, I'd consider making the Community Shield between the cup winners.

Can any of you knowledgable lot tell me QPR‘s significance to the Charity / Community Shield ?
How to save the League Cup. on 07:54 - Aug 15 with 2463 viewsNewYorkRanger

How to save the League Cup. on 07:20 - Aug 15 by GaryHaddock

Can any of you knowledgable lot tell me QPR‘s significance to the Charity / Community Shield ?

QPR played in the 1st ever Charity Shield game against Man Utd in 1908 losing 4-0

Glory hunter, me

How to save the League Cup. on 08:11 - Aug 15 with 2411 viewsGaryHaddock

How to save the League Cup. on 07:54 - Aug 15 by NewYorkRanger

QPR played in the 1st ever Charity Shield game against Man Utd in 1908 losing 4-0

Correct!

Your prize is a ticket to the next round v Luton

How to save the League Cup. on 08:13 - Aug 15 with 2399 viewsNewYorkRanger

2nd prize 2 tickets etc etc :)

Glory hunter, me

How to save the League Cup. on 12:22 - Aug 15 with 2139 viewsjoe90

The attitude towards the League Cup is an unfortunate by-product of the modern game, more specifically the Premier League.

It's more valuable for clubs to play games abroad then waste their time going to places like Stevenage for a mid-week cup game.

Overseas tours aren't a new phenomenon, but I get the impression there was underlying respect for the league and cup competitions that gave English clubs their legacy and prestige that doesn't exist anymore. I guess people don't want that 'authentic' English football experience anymore, but the real question is how do clubs like ours survive in this modern football world?
How to save the League Cup. on 20:53 - Aug 15 with 1923 viewsWatford_Ranger

I… quite like it. If teams don’t want to take it seriously then that’s their prerogative in a long season. I’m sure the biggest clubs would like it gone and probably the FA cup too if you asked the owner who hadn’t heard of their shiny new toy ten years ago. Every year I dream we’ll bumble through the first few rounds and go all the way in one of the cups and it probably won’t happen if I live ten lifetimes but I’d rather have it than the alternative of nothing.
How to save the League Cup. on 21:39 - Aug 15 with 1830 viewsstainrods_elbow

It isn't their 'prerogative', and if you think it is, you clearly don't understand the idea(l) of competitive professional sport.

Poll: How many points will we manage from our first 5 games with this squad?

How to save the League Cup. on 07:53 - Aug 16 with 1718 viewsdaveB

although clubs take a lot of the blame the attitude that cups don't matter comes from fans and that's had the biggest impact as stadiums are always empty for them in early rounds and full for the league so clubs know we don't care and put out reserve teams in the cups

Every year on here you get threads worrying about injury if the game is in the cup and wanting to rest players for the more important stuff and its the same at all clubs
How to save the League Cup. on 08:53 - Aug 16 with 1609 viewsGaryBannister86

How to save the League Cup. on 07:53 - Aug 16 by daveB

although clubs take a lot of the blame the attitude that cups don't matter comes from fans and that's had the biggest impact as stadiums are always empty for them in early rounds and full for the league so clubs know we don't care and put out reserve teams in the cups

Every year on here you get threads worrying about injury if the game is in the cup and wanting to rest players for the more important stuff and its the same at all clubs

I'm tempted to counter by saying the fans have given up because the clubs devalued it first with sub standard teams, but I am pretty sure even many years ago crowds in the early rounds of the league cup were awful.

What is curious is that the away followings for all the cup early rounds seem to be much more healthy. For example, wouldn't be surprised if even Luton bring more for the cup tie than we have in the home ends.

And I reckon we'd take more away if we had drawn say Southampton than we would have at home for the same fixture. I am not quite sure why.
How to save the League Cup. on 09:12 - Aug 16 with 1562 viewsWatford_Ranger

How to save the League Cup. on 21:39 - Aug 15 by stainrods_elbow

It isn't their 'prerogative', and if you think it is, you clearly don't understand the idea(l) of competitive professional sport.

It is just as clubs will rest players occasionally in the league. If we play Arsenal and Saka and Odegaard aren’t there I don’t care. I’m not there to see them.
How to save the League Cup. on 09:35 - Aug 16 with 1517 viewsDannyPaddox

How to save the League Cup. on 07:20 - Aug 15 by GaryHaddock

We played again in 1912. Losing 2-1 to Blackburn Rovers at White Hart Lane. Proceeds going to the Titanic Relief Fund. I’ve never seen the film but I’m assuming in a bitter-sweet feel-good final scene, Kate Winslet scores Blackburn’s winner.
How to save the League Cup. on 10:00 - Aug 16 with 1439 viewsdaveB

How to save the League Cup. on 08:53 - Aug 16 by GaryBannister86

I'm tempted to counter by saying the fans have given up because the clubs devalued it first with sub standard teams, but I am pretty sure even many years ago crowds in the early rounds of the league cup were awful.

What is curious is that the away followings for all the cup early rounds seem to be much more healthy. For example, wouldn't be surprised if even Luton bring more for the cup tie than we have in the home ends.

And I reckon we'd take more away if we had drawn say Southampton than we would have at home for the same fixture. I am not quite sure why.

yeah it's a bit chicken and egg as to how that all started
How to save the League Cup. on 11:09 - Aug 16 with 1319 viewsOldPedro

How to save the League Cup. on 10:00 - Aug 16 by daveB

yeah it's a bit chicken and egg as to how that all started

I think the devaluation of the cup competitions started with Man Utd pulling out of the FA Cup to play in some mickey-mouse FIFA club championship.

When the clubs don't take a competition seriously, then the fans follow.

Extra mature cheddar......a simple cheese for a simple man

How to save the League Cup. on 12:37 - Aug 16 with 1230 viewsdaveB

How to save the League Cup. on 11:09 - Aug 16 by OldPedro

I think the devaluation of the cup competitions started with Man Utd pulling out of the FA Cup to play in some mickey-mouse FIFA club championship.

When the clubs don't take a competition seriously, then the fans follow.

it started before then, league cup was already being seen as a bit of a joke but that didn't help when they pulled out for a year
How to save the League Cup. on 11:10 - Aug 17 with 1006 viewsthemodfather

it is the FOOTBALL LEAGUE cup and i have felt for ages, at least block prem teams who have qualified for a european cup event. prem clubs rarely take it serious until semi's anyway and moan of too many games so block them, i'm sure if 2 clubs from our leagues go to wembley they'd be 80k plus there and it would be televised
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024