Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Hoops vs The Baggies Match Thread 14:40 - Aug 6 with 45195 viewsMonkey_Roots

This could be my first and last.

Firstly, last season's lasting legacy will hopefully last long into Marti's first full season.

At long last, and for the first time in ages, there's more positivity sprinkled around, and as such, the first game of this season certainly feels a lot less doom-laden than the last first game of last season.

Lastly, I think Varane will get his first taste of the Championship in his first start, nabbing his first goal, and his first MOM award, in this his first game in England.

Long may it last.

1-1
The Hoops vs The Baggies Match Thread on 17:40 - Aug 10 with 3252 viewsSonofpugwash

Can we have a good old fashioned bucket whip round to buy a half decent central defender (or two)?
Schoolboy "help yourself " defending for the two headers.

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

The Hoops vs The Baggies Match Thread on 17:44 - Aug 10 with 3218 viewsRs_Holy

just back... it's gonna be a long season :(
The Hoops vs The Baggies Match Thread on 17:45 - Aug 10 with 3207 viewsMonkey_Roots

That was a surprise to me too - 3 crosses, 2 bread and butter clearances really.
The Hoops vs The Baggies Match Thread on 17:54 - Aug 10 with 3108 viewsHooping_Mad

Second half we overloaded them on the left, Pall reaches the edge of the box and he just stands there allowing the opposition time to get back in position.

I blew an actual fuse.

Some of our player seem to suffer from a lack of intelligence and ability to read the game. Some of our other players are called Anderssen.

I decided that our preseason was a joke and on this evidence, I may have been right.

Chairman of the Junior Hoilett appreciation society

The Hoops vs The Baggies Match Thread on 17:55 - Aug 10 with 3105 viewsmart_Goblin

Only surprise today really was how bad we defended today as a team. We looked a solid unit in pre season (yes yes, it’s pre season…I get it ) but today there were holes everywhere. Colback and Field awol at times . No pressure at all from Field, Andersen or Smyth in the build up to the first goal . Then Cook and JCS go missing.
2nd and 3rd goal Paal is awful . Yes Lloyd gets beaten too easy but where is Paal for the 3rd???
I thought he hid all game and his body language looked sulky and poor.
3 crosses 3 goals and Cook tears into Lloyd ? Poor captaincy . You do your job and they don’t score.
Cook has looked out of sorts all summer to me.
Then there is the enigma that is Lucas Andersen.
Clearly the most intelligent player on the pitch for either side but at important times lacks so much quality for a player of his experience and ability. I disagree that he was excellent today .Just my opinion. I thought he was our best player today but not sure how good you have to be to get that accolade. Standing ovation for Smyth seemed a little strange too. Clap him off of course, but a standing ovation? Not for me.

Felt for Celar, because we don’t include him in the play at all. It’s a thankless task. However , he also has to get himself involved and look interested. Air shot aside at least Frey looked hungry and showed for the ball . I liked the look of Verane when he came on . Didn’t get everything right but so much more mobile and physical than Colback .

Not the end of the world and no need for panic . But there will be come the end of the window if this is all MC has to choose from.

I was one of those conspiracy theorists regarding Chair, but had it again in good authority that he is actually injured. Time will tell
[Post edited 10 Aug 18:09]
The Hoops vs The Baggies Match Thread on 18:01 - Aug 10 with 3057 viewsQPunkR

The Hoops vs The Baggies Match Thread on 15:27 - Aug 10 by Antti_Heinola

Was v good in possession. Think you were watching a different player.

Or we simply have a different opinion?

QPR - "shit but local"

The Hoops vs The Baggies Match Thread on 18:18 - Aug 10 with 2970 viewsaston_hoop

I thought Smyth was dreadful today. Has absolutely no end product, just runs and runs. A whippet will run and run. In 2024, I think you need more than that to be a Championship footballer. I'd be trying to get him off the wage bill once the new attacking players come in. Andersen was our only attacking outlet with anything to offer, moved well and tried things but nobody was on his wavelength. This is where we really need Chair next to him and where hopefully Dembele and Saito, should they join, are going to need to learn quick.

Otherwise, I thought Varane was a positive, I'd like to see us get Hayden in too and have some better midfield options. Slowly phase out Colback .

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

The Hoops vs The Baggies Match Thread on 18:25 - Aug 10 with 2917 viewsParkRoyalR

The Hoops vs The Baggies Match Thread on 17:55 - Aug 10 by mart_Goblin

Only surprise today really was how bad we defended today as a team. We looked a solid unit in pre season (yes yes, it’s pre season…I get it ) but today there were holes everywhere. Colback and Field awol at times . No pressure at all from Field, Andersen or Smyth in the build up to the first goal . Then Cook and JCS go missing.
2nd and 3rd goal Paal is awful . Yes Lloyd gets beaten too easy but where is Paal for the 3rd???
3 crosses 3 goals and Cook tears into Lloyd ? Poor captaincy . You do your job and they don’t score.
Clearly the most intelligent player on the pitch for either side but at important times lacks so much quality for a player of his experience and ability. I disagree that he was excellent today .Just my opinion. I thought he was our best player today but not sure how good you have to be to get that accolade. Standing ovation for Smyth seemed a little strange too. Clap him off of course, but a standing ovation? Not for me.

Felt for Celar, because we don’t include him in the play at all. It’s a thankless task. However , he also has to get himself involved and look interested. Air shot aside at least Frey looked hungry and showed for the ball . I liked the look of Verane when he came on . Didn’t get everything right but so much more mobile and physical than Colback .

Not the end of the world and no need for panic . But there will be come the end of the window if this is all MC has to choose from.

I was one of those conspiracy theorists regarding Chair, but had it again in good authority that he is actually injured. Time will tell

I've called Cook out for this from Day 1, it's really poor and deflection of his own mistakes, a proper Captain would be having an early quiet stern word with Paal, not digging out the younger players and knocking their confidence.
Login to get fewer ads

The Hoops vs The Baggies Match Thread on 18:30 - Aug 10 with 2895 viewsHooping_Mad

The Hoops vs The Baggies Match Thread on 18:18 - Aug 10 by aston_hoop

I thought Smyth was dreadful today. Has absolutely no end product, just runs and runs. A whippet will run and run. In 2024, I think you need more than that to be a Championship footballer. I'd be trying to get him off the wage bill once the new attacking players come in. Andersen was our only attacking outlet with anything to offer, moved well and tried things but nobody was on his wavelength. This is where we really need Chair next to him and where hopefully Dembele and Saito, should they join, are going to need to learn quick.

Otherwise, I thought Varane was a positive, I'd like to see us get Hayden in too and have some better midfield options. Slowly phase out Colback .

Just for balance, he did pick up the ball several times and carry it half way up the pitch by himself which in fairness took the other 10 players on field around 20 minutes to organise each time .

So there is that, but yes headless chicken routine in full swing thereafter.

If he doesn't develop I think he gone in January.
[Post edited 10 Aug 18:31]

Chairman of the Junior Hoilett appreciation society

The Hoops vs The Baggies Match Thread on 18:34 - Aug 10 with 2872 viewsmart_Goblin

The Hoops vs The Baggies Match Thread on 18:25 - Aug 10 by ParkRoyalR

I've called Cook out for this from Day 1, it's really poor and deflection of his own mistakes, a proper Captain would be having an early quiet stern word with Paal, not digging out the younger players and knocking their confidence.

Completely agree with you.

He tore into Lloyd in a way I thought was a little unprofessional.
Ok he was poor defensively and needs telling but Paal was equally culpable and actually complete missing in action . Didn’t help Lloyd whatsoever.

Maga was unmarked in area Cook was in.
If he had done his job then we don’t concede.

Poor from him I thought
The Hoops vs The Baggies Match Thread on 18:52 - Aug 10 with 2730 viewsqueensparker

The Hoops vs The Baggies Match Thread on 18:34 - Aug 10 by mart_Goblin

Completely agree with you.

He tore into Lloyd in a way I thought was a little unprofessional.
Ok he was poor defensively and needs telling but Paal was equally culpable and actually complete missing in action . Didn’t help Lloyd whatsoever.

Maga was unmarked in area Cook was in.
If he had done his job then we don’t concede.

Poor from him I thought

After we scored the opener Cook also seemed to spend the celebration bollocking Kolli at great length, the guy who’d set it up.

Kolli’s defensive work was pretty woeful today tbf, but he’s a young lad, he’s just done something good.
The Hoops vs The Baggies Match Thread on 19:01 - Aug 10 with 2681 viewsNortholt_Rs

The Hoops vs The Baggies Match Thread on 17:55 - Aug 10 by mart_Goblin

That starting XI gets us relegated.

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

The Hoops vs The Baggies Match Thread on 19:40 - Aug 10 with 2480 viewsLogman

The Hoops vs The Baggies Match Thread on 19:01 - Aug 10 by Northolt_Rs

It's the starting xi that most of us would have wanted (given the players available) and we know that the club is trying to get a replacement for willock in. Far too much negativity on here. The stats prove that we gave them a game. Just so happens they were more accomplished where it counted. Certainly didn't warrant some of the pelters on here.
The Hoops vs The Baggies Match Thread on 19:44 - Aug 10 with 2444 viewsqueensparker

The Hoops vs The Baggies Match Thread on 19:40 - Aug 10 by Logman

It's the starting xi that most of us would have wanted (given the players available) and we know that the club is trying to get a replacement for willock in. Far too much negativity on here. The stats prove that we gave them a game. Just so happens they were more accomplished where it counted. Certainly didn't warrant some of the pelters on here.

Exactly.

Chill out all - we’re not a great team but we’re not a terrible one either.

The one thing I was worried about was not creating chances against one of the best defences in the league and we had a fair few.

We’re a squad in progress and that starting line up will probably look v different in a month (Chair, Dykes, Varane, Dembele, the Japanese 12 year old kid)
The Hoops vs The Baggies Match Thread on 20:25 - Aug 10 with 2273 viewslassel

If that starting XI plays a minute together after September I’ll give you all the money in my bank account.
The Hoops vs The Baggies Match Thread on 20:56 - Aug 10 with 2111 viewsDorse

The Hoops vs The Baggies Match Thread on 20:25 - Aug 10 by lassel

If that starting XI plays a minute together after September I’ll give you all the money in my bank account.

What? All £23.80?! Are you mad?

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

The Hoops vs The Baggies Match Thread on 21:03 - Aug 10 with 2066 viewsBAWHoops

Not overly worried as you expect Chair, Varane, Dembele to likely come into that side over the next few weeks.
WBA a good side who worked out how to beat us. It happens. We are on solid ground compared to 12 months ago, it's a process and we can't win every game.
Suspect we will lose to Sheff U and if we don't beat Plymouth there will be an existential crisis on here, but realistically today was a team that look good for the Play Off's beating a lower mid table side without its best player

http://blogandwhitehoops.wordpress.com/

The Hoops vs The Baggies Match Thread on 21:13 - Aug 10 with 1973 viewslassel

The Hoops vs The Baggies Match Thread on 20:56 - Aug 10 by Dorse

What? All £23.80?! Are you mad?

You’re sending me £20?!
The Hoops vs The Baggies Match Thread on 21:36 - Aug 10 with 1842 viewsbaz_qpr

I think Nardi should have come for their 2nd goal even to punch and probably would have done if not his home debut. We were surprisingly passive until the last 20 minutes, their press was so much more effective than ours.

No need to panic usual august fare with inbounds to come both perm and loan. Would like to see us pick up a Prem U21 forward with a bit of pace and power
The Hoops vs The Baggies Match Thread on 21:53 - Aug 10 with 1788 viewsLblock

Next game a must win?

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

The Hoops vs The Baggies Match Thread on 22:17 - Aug 10 with 1674 viewsjoe90

Score aside the stats aren’t that bad. It’s only the first game and I’m not getting Watford 2023 vibes.
The Hoops vs The Baggies Match Thread on 22:24 - Aug 10 with 1630 viewskensalriser

Did I miss the Dembele signing?

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

The Hoops vs The Baggies Match Thread on 22:26 - Aug 10 with 1619 viewsRangersw12

Didn't think we were that bad today but do clearly need a couple of additions.

Unlike others won't judge any of the new players till at least seen them 10/15 times

Had chances to get back in it but missed them. WBA very clinical and well drilled
The Hoops vs The Baggies Match Thread on 23:34 - Aug 10 with 1455 viewsrbee

The Hoops vs The Baggies Match Thread on 17:29 - Aug 10 by davman

After the second and third goals, do you understand it any better?

Absolutely roasted for their second, pathetic loose leg out. Then gross dereliction by leaving young Alfie Lloyd 1 on 1 with an expert Champ winger. He is a f**king full back, but he can't defend, doesn't beat a man and can't f**cking cross. Even our goal he had a perfect opportunity to cross it, delayed, fed Kolli who, thankfully CAN cross a ball.

Then later in teh first half he has three players at the near post, so what does he do? Cowardly puts it into a danger area at the far post where there are no players.

Technical, lovely first touch, nice keep ball first touch triangle stuff - no more than a five a side / futsal player.

I for one cannot wait to get rid of the fraudster he is.

Neither of our full backs are good enough to make Marti's formation work. Shock ed that he is sticking with Jimmy. Love Jimmy, but no full back in a million years - he's just there for his headers.

So, I can't understand why Paal doesn't get more negativity. Add in to that, he's just going through the motions content to wind his contract down...

I am not a fan of his...

Sorry, I can't agree with much of this, it is over the top analysis. I would not blame him for any of the goals. The second he tried to win the ball and with the third who knows what passage of play developed to find Lloyd and Paal in the positions that they were in.

Some fans always need a scapegoat. I don't buy the going through the motions either.

Since his signing Paal has been good for us but his recent dip in form and confidence is plain to see. As Lblock said in the Paal thread we don't know what is going on his life and that of his family.

The bottom line is that if he is not happy, if he doesn't like our new contract offer then like Armstrong and Willock we move on. The club will be well aware of any issues and will have plans in place to hopefully resolve this before the transfer window closes. I would not be surprised to see him go out on loan to a Dutch club.
The Hoops vs The Baggies Match Thread on 13:03 - Aug 11 with 826 viewsNortholt_Rs

The Hoops vs The Baggies Match Thread on 23:34 - Aug 10 by rbee

Sorry, I can't agree with much of this, it is over the top analysis. I would not blame him for any of the goals. The second he tried to win the ball and with the third who knows what passage of play developed to find Lloyd and Paal in the positions that they were in.

Some fans always need a scapegoat. I don't buy the going through the motions either.

Since his signing Paal has been good for us but his recent dip in form and confidence is plain to see. As Lblock said in the Paal thread we don't know what is going on his life and that of his family.

The bottom line is that if he is not happy, if he doesn't like our new contract offer then like Armstrong and Willock we move on. The club will be well aware of any issues and will have plans in place to hopefully resolve this before the transfer window closes. I would not be surprised to see him go out on loan to a Dutch club.

West Brom definitely targeted Paal in the second half. Everything came down that side including the two goals.

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024