Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mark Hateley speaks 22:44 - Jan 11 with 7517 viewsCamberleyR

Putting his two pennyworth in.

Twãt.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Mark Hateley speaks on 09:59 - Jan 12 with 1850 viewsNorthernr

Mark Hateley speaks on 09:50 - Jan 12 by ted_hendrix

I thought that was home to Huddersfield? I can see It right now (cheeky bastard).

It was both.
Mark Hateley speaks on 10:10 - Jan 12 with 1824 viewsR_from_afar

So we should leave Loftus Road and move to a stadium like Bournemouth's? Dean Court is way smaller, its capacity is only 11,307

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Mark Hateley speaks on 10:34 - Jan 12 with 1764 viewsTheChef

Really odd article - "hmmm I need an ex QPR player to talk about the club - oh yeah Mark Hateley, what a stalwart he was."

Can only assume the journo is mates with him.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Mark Hateley speaks on 10:49 - Jan 12 with 1736 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Mark Hateley speaks on 07:52 - Jan 12 by GroveR

I absolutely idolised Ray as a player but can't help thinking the player/ manager gig was a big part of why that team went down. I can actually see what he was thinking in getting an experienced pro in to support and develop Kev and Dichio, it's just poor judgement he chose a selfish, talentless carthorse who threw him under the bus.

What still baffles me is how that squad (plus Peacock and Spencer) didn't do better than 9th in the division below.

Absolutely nailed it fella.

I think so much of our problems emanate from how we handled life post-Les. We were a top side, could have tried to bring in Brian Deane or even Mark Hughes but no, we waited too long, then brought in a bloke who was injured and, if rumours were true, had an interest in getting out of Glasgow sharpish, and he was utterly sh1te!!!

That, and Ray continuing to pick himself over Osborne when his legs were well gone didn't help either.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Mark Hateley speaks on 10:57 - Jan 12 with 1715 viewsflynnbo

Mark Hateley speaks on 09:32 - Jan 12 by wombat

wasnt it the cup game agaisnt wimbledon he did the cupped ear motion when he scored a goal ?

Yep, at Selhurst Park which prompted me to pen an article for AKUTR on the matter. It was also the game where they played the Steptoe & Son music when announcing our team. Oh and we lost as it was a cup game naturally.

Edit: it was a league game.
[Post edited 12 Jan 13:24]
Mark Hateley speaks on 11:05 - Jan 12 with 1698 viewsloftus77

Mark Hateley speaks on 09:09 - Jan 12 by Northernr

I know I've said this before but even with the sales, even with the criminal mismanagement of Wilson's contract, and even with Les leaving, it was still salvageable. Kasey Keller, Matt Elliott, Alex Rae, Clive Mendonca, Andy Booth, Steve Guppy all moved around that time collectively for the money we spent on Sommer, Zelic, Hateley, Osborn, Goodridge etc. That would have settled you in the Premier League as the TV deal got big. In fact, Leicester bought three of those and went on to win cups and play in Europe.

Don't - its still all too painful.

For all the 21st Century shenanigans (ABC loan, Paladini, Tango & Cash, Hughes/Redknapp/Uncle Tony) this (1995-96) is where it went wrong. We have yet to recover.
Mark Hateley speaks on 11:29 - Jan 12 with 1636 viewsTwoHalves

Mark Hateley speaks on 10:57 - Jan 12 by flynnbo

Yep, at Selhurst Park which prompted me to pen an article for AKUTR on the matter. It was also the game where they played the Steptoe & Son music when announcing our team. Oh and we lost as it was a cup game naturally.

Edit: it was a league game.
[Post edited 12 Jan 13:24]

My memory might be playing tricks (again) but wasn’t that the 5-0 defeat circa 2001? I was mates with Chris Philips, Wimbledon’s stadium announcer and Jazz FM/Kiss FM DJ, at the time and he played Steptoe & Son for a laugh. Chris introduced me to Dean Holdsworth after the game in the player’s lounge (a largely forgettable experience). Holdsworth’s first words were, “I f*****g hate QPR”.
Mark Hateley speaks on 12:01 - Jan 12 with 1578 viewsCamberleyR

Mark Hateley speaks on 09:50 - Jan 12 by ted_hendrix

I thought that was home to Huddersfield? I can see It right now (cheeky bastard).

He did at both the Huddersfield and Wimbledon cup games. I think he also did it when he scored away at Swindon in the league game.
[Post edited 12 Jan 13:06]

Login to get fewer ads

Mark Hateley speaks on 12:05 - Jan 12 with 1565 viewsngbqpr

Mark Hateley speaks on 12:01 - Jan 12 by CamberleyR

He did at both the Huddersfield and Wimbledon cup games. I think he also did it when he scored away at Swindon in the league game.
[Post edited 12 Jan 13:06]

That's right he did, it became his oh so amusing "signature celebration". VVanker.

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

Mark Hateley speaks on 12:49 - Jan 12 with 1463 viewsTheChef

Mark Hateley speaks on 11:05 - Jan 12 by loftus77

Don't - its still all too painful.

For all the 21st Century shenanigans (ABC loan, Paladini, Tango & Cash, Hughes/Redknapp/Uncle Tony) this (1995-96) is where it went wrong. We have yet to recover.

My first full season supporting QPR.

I am so sorry

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Mark Hateley speaks on 14:46 - Jan 12 with 1326 viewshoopstar67

Mark Hateley speaks on 05:58 - Jan 12 by Midlands_Ranger

Stejskal for sure my favourite goalkeeper we have had also, Absolutely loved him as a kid! Any goalie was gonna struggle to convince me when filling in his shoes(gloves?) but I really didn't like Sommer, he always tried to punch the ball, every cross, problem was he couldn't do it, always sent it into a worse position that it came from.

To many first names on the team sheet sold that summer to ever survive what was coming. Yeah Bardsley had seen his best days go by then and was done far to many times that day.

As for Hateley what a clown, couldn't cut it at that point, way past his best....horrible signing he was, kinda summed up the season.

That season is like the memory of your parents divorce...things were never the same again were they. I actually struggle to think about that season.
[Post edited 12 Jan 5:58]

My memory maybe playing tricks on me but I seem to remember Sommer having an absolute stormer of a game against Aston Villa and saving everything and me coming away from the game thinking that was one of the best goalkeeping performances I've seen, but as I say could just be my memory going crazy
Mark Hateley speaks on 14:52 - Jan 12 with 1313 viewsNorthernr

Mark Hateley speaks on 14:46 - Jan 12 by hoopstar67

My memory maybe playing tricks on me but I seem to remember Sommer having an absolute stormer of a game against Aston Villa and saving everything and me coming away from the game thinking that was one of the best goalkeeping performances I've seen, but as I say could just be my memory going crazy

You've remembered it correctly - won 1-0 to a dubious Kevin Gallen goal.

Mark Hateley speaks on 14:53 - Jan 12 with 1311 viewssupahoopsa

Mark Hateley speaks on 23:03 - Jan 11 by Northernr

Hmmmmm.

J Sommer, D Bardsley, A McDonald, S Yates, R Brevett, T Sinclair, A Impey, S Barker, R Wilkins (D Dichio, 74), K Gallen (I Holloway, 66), M Hateley

Oh to have that team now

Blue & White hooped blood runs through the family

Mark Hateley speaks on 15:03 - Jan 12 with 1275 viewsPhilmyRs

Always wondered with Hateley why he didn't take that penalty on debut. Could have been so different...
Mark Hateley speaks on 15:20 - Jan 12 with 1243 viewsMidlands_Ranger

Mark Hateley speaks on 14:46 - Jan 12 by hoopstar67

No it's possible, he was a decent shot stopper...could be my own memory as all my Dad did was moan about him punching the ball, he did punch it a fair bit.....but yeah I'm sure there was a few good stops in him
Mark Hateley speaks on 15:22 - Jan 12 with 1235 viewsNorthernr

Mark Hateley speaks on 15:20 - Jan 12 by Midlands_Ranger

No it's possible, he was a decent shot stopper...could be my own memory as all my Dad did was moan about him punching the ball, he did punch it a fair bit.....but yeah I'm sure there was a few good stops in him

When we got relegated he developed a nasty habit of conceding fairly constantly from 30 yards out. How much of that was his fault is up for debate. I actually quite liked Sommer, but then that was because he kept Tony Roberts out of my life.
Mark Hateley speaks on 15:32 - Jan 12 with 1218 viewsflynnbo

Mark Hateley speaks on 15:22 - Jan 12 by Northernr

When we got relegated he developed a nasty habit of conceding fairly constantly from 30 yards out. How much of that was his fault is up for debate. I actually quite liked Sommer, but then that was because he kept Tony Roberts out of my life.

Sommer was crap apart from that Villa game.
Mark Hateley speaks on 15:58 - Jan 12 with 1179 viewsQPRSteve

Mark Hateley speaks on 15:32 - Jan 12 by flynnbo

Sommer was crap apart from that Villa game.

Would have much preferred to have had Elke instead.
Mark Hateley speaks on 17:02 - Jan 12 with 1123 viewsAntti_Heinola

At Leeds, the players used to call Hateley 'Topper' behind his back, because whenever anyone told a story about anything, he'd always try to 'top' it with one of his own. Lee Sharpe really p!ssed him off once calling him Topper, and that's why I'll always love Sharpey (that and he's a lovely fella).

Bare bones.

Mark Hateley speaks on 17:12 - Jan 12 with 1111 viewsNorthernr

Mark Hateley speaks on 17:02 - Jan 12 by Antti_Heinola

At Leeds, the players used to call Hateley 'Topper' behind his back, because whenever anyone told a story about anything, he'd always try to 'top' it with one of his own. Lee Sharpe really p!ssed him off once calling him Topper, and that's why I'll always love Sharpey (that and he's a lovely fella).

And haven't we all met a prat like that in our lives at some point? (Topper that is, not Sharpe, who's just gone up 10,000% in my estimation)
Mark Hateley speaks on 17:15 - Jan 12 with 1104 viewsdsw2509

You aren’t wrong. To add insult to injury it was absolutely freezing that day. It was one of those games where we were lucky to get nil. I left convinced we were going down. We did (thanks to that Fergie time, otherwise we might have escaped).
Mark Hateley speaks on 18:29 - Jan 12 with 1038 viewsMidlands_Ranger

Mark Hateley speaks on 17:15 - Jan 12 by dsw2509

You aren’t wrong. To add insult to injury it was absolutely freezing that day. It was one of those games where we were lucky to get nil. I left convinced we were going down. We did (thanks to that Fergie time, otherwise we might have escaped).

That was Fergie time and some!!!! Heartbreaking
Mark Hateley speaks on 20:29 - Jan 12 with 937 viewsCamberleyR

Mark Hateley speaks on 15:03 - Jan 12 by PhilmyRs

Always wondered with Hateley why he didn't take that penalty on debut. Could have been so different...

I'm trying to remember, was his debut the game against Middlesbrough where Barker put his pen in row Z of the School End?

Mark Hateley speaks on 20:40 - Jan 12 with 919 viewsPhilmyRs

Mark Hateley speaks on 20:29 - Jan 12 by CamberleyR

I'm trying to remember, was his debut the game against Middlesbrough where Barker put his pen in row Z of the School End?

Indeed. Damaged the scoreboard if I remember correctly.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024