Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? 03:49 - Aug 6 with 34823 viewsSydneyRs

We all know things look very grim right now and many want him gone, but is there actually anyone available that would firstly even entertain this job and secondly be any better than GA given the obvious constraints?

I genuinely feel for the guy and believe he's giving it everything he has. But the constant forced positivity interviews that are getting very repetitive are wearing thin. He's inherited a mess for sure but it still feels like a lot of the players aren't having him or possibly just aren't having the club any more.

Its tough. He clearly had players at Wycombe who bought in and was able to build a culture there, but as we know there's a few here with questionable levels of commitment to say the least. How on earth can he turn it around and if not him who else could do better with no money available?
Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 22:08 - Aug 8 with 2542 viewsChrisNW6

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 20:23 - Aug 8 by davman

Genuinely surprised that you are "amazed" that there is no accountability. This is the board that oversaw Sir Les' ultimate failure as DOF and let him resign without proactivelygetting rid. They clearly want out or would have culled him and the 150 staff running the Academy that has, collectively failed.

All the signs are that they have given up, are minimising the losses which (thankfully) they appear to be covering ahead of a take over.

The ONLY voice coming out of the club is now GA, who is clearly going to be left high and dry.

A royal mess.

I actually think not recognising and sorting out the coaching set up which wasn't working was Les's biggest failures. Manager and player recruitment and reducing wages was working well but the current youth team set up needs an overhaul.

I have also heard rumours of a shambolic set up for youth games but I think Les was focusing on keeping us in the Championship on a reduced wage bill.
Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 22:27 - Aug 8 with 2479 viewsRangersw12

Pretty interesting and I believe what E15 Hoop was talking about during the summer
Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 22:54 - Aug 8 with 2386 viewsconnell10

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 22:27 - Aug 8 by Rangersw12

Pretty interesting and I believe what E15 Hoop was talking about during the summer

Players not buying into Anisworth philosophy.....mmmmmm a couple spring to mind .

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 22:58 - Aug 8 with 2374 viewsMonkey_Roots

It is interesting, if not a bit over my head, that this could be taking place as part of a plan. I guess I’m just debating whether it is, or if it’s just a convenient way of explaining away the abject horror at the club right now.

If it is as this fella explains, then surely the ‘buy in’ required for it to work has to come from players that are there for the long term and not, as I think might be the case, players that thought they were going to be moving on in the next few weeks? What about new players joining, won’t it take them a decent amount of time to achieve the buy in needed?

I guess that could explain, if true, why GA is so keen to go back for WW players, as they will already have that ‘buy in’ through working with GA previously.

It’s a risky strategy to take considering the length of time it’ll take to implement, and the need for players to allow themselves to become vulnerable - I would have thought you’d need the ‘buy in’ from your bosses to allow you the time and their patience to stay the course.

I dunno what to make of this to be honest, it’s all a bit theoretical.
Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 23:02 - Aug 8 with 2350 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 21:52 - Aug 8 by The_Beast1976

Suspect you are probably right (I'm that the owners are now winding down for a sharp exit)

I have absolutely no inside info and I'm keeping an open mind on this but I'm not convinced on this idea that they're ready to sell.

Haven't we just increased our staff by 30%?

Aren't we right on the threshold of P&S/FFP? Dangerously so?

What's different all of a sudden in their behaviour that would make us think they're getting ready to sell?

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 23:08 - Aug 8 with 2316 viewsMonkey_Roots

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 23:02 - Aug 8 by BrianMcCarthy

I have absolutely no inside info and I'm keeping an open mind on this but I'm not convinced on this idea that they're ready to sell.

What's different all of a sudden in their behaviour that would make us think they're getting ready to sell?

I guess on the surface of it, with the tiny bits of info we have, Les leaving, TF selling up and courting outside investment could be seen as a step in that direction. New training facility, a good selling point… it’s flimsy and a bit of a reach, but maybe?
Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 23:19 - Aug 8 with 2279 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 23:08 - Aug 8 by Monkey_Roots

I guess on the surface of it, with the tiny bits of info we have, Les leaving, TF selling up and courting outside investment could be seen as a step in that direction. New training facility, a good selling point… it’s flimsy and a bit of a reach, but maybe?

Good points, especially courting outside investment. But even then why would they look for a minority investment if they just wanted to sell 100%? It can be seen both ways.

Also, TF selling his percentage could be seen as him knowing that the rest weren't selling up as he may have waited otherwise.

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 23:21 - Aug 8 with 2280 viewsozexile

It's an interesting video and admittedly I flicked through it. But for all the talk of culture and buying in etc. If you're that tactically inept to go away to Watford and start Dozzell in a 2 central midfield then I'm not sure you'll be around long enough to develop a culture.
Login to get fewer ads

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 23:31 - Aug 8 with 2238 viewsHunterhoop

Trust is the foundation of successful teams. So many leadership and team theory revolves around it. The Lencioni model has it as the foundation of the pyramid of a highly functioning team.

How do you build trust? The answer is vulnerability. Being truly open and honest, and showing/sharing your weaknesses, your mistakes, your failures, builds trust in you from other people.

It wouldn’t surprise me at all that Ainsworth is big on this and focusing on it. It is the foundation of almost all successful teams in sport and work, certainly those outperforming their budget, experience or raw capability.

The issue, as this guy points out, is it takes time. And as Steve Jobs said “it’s better to have a hole than an asshole”.

My concern is there are a lot of assholes in our squad, including some of our better players.

This gives him a big problem. Until he brings them on board, or can jettison them overboard, things will likely get worse as he won’t have a foundation of trust across his team.

If this takes too long, we go down.

If we sack him, the process, for whoever comes in begins again, OR they don’t focus on it all, but we then risk never over performing our budget/resource, which keeps us in the bottom half of the Champ.

It’s why I keep coming back to the players. They need to buy in. They need to try to. They are paid by the club. They have an obligation to.

Unfortunately, I’m unconvinced they will.

And all this isn’t to say he can’t or shouldn’t adapt the tactics, and find a better way, a more successful way for us to play in the short term. He has to. If he doesn’t all his work on building trust will be wasted. However I get the focus on vulnerability and trust. If you can create it, it really does work and leads to significant over achievement. But it’s usually a 1-2 year thing to create.
[Post edited 9 Aug 2023 7:18]
Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 00:37 - Aug 9 with 2136 viewsVancouverHoop

Thing is will Ainsworth be allowed the time necessary to convince his players? These days few managers gets a year or two with a stable squad to begin to show positive results
Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 05:56 - Aug 9 with 1934 viewsHoopsie

Realistically speaking, yes

I opine the alternative will be a young head coach, just starting out, understands culture and mindset, tactically astute, can adapt short term and build for long term, is cheap, still quite inexperienced, loves to entertain with possession football but can vary strategically game to game as needs be. May not be a former player but is loyal once employed, happy to build in a club as basket as ours

I don’t know who but he’s out there, we just have to look

Poll: At this moment in time, whatever the situation, your thoughts on Chris Willock

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 06:51 - Aug 9 with 1852 viewsNorthernr

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 05:56 - Aug 9 by Hoopsie

Realistically speaking, yes

I opine the alternative will be a young head coach, just starting out, understands culture and mindset, tactically astute, can adapt short term and build for long term, is cheap, still quite inexperienced, loves to entertain with possession football but can vary strategically game to game as needs be. May not be a former player but is loyal once employed, happy to build in a club as basket as ours

I don’t know who but he’s out there, we just have to look

Basically a natural successor to Warbs, Beale and Critchley who, for all their faults, did at least show some joined up thinking by QPR in their appointments having previously bounced around all over the shop from characters and styles as disparate as Ian Holloway to Steve McClaren.

However, and I've said this for weeks with my slightly unkind "we'll end up with Marti Cifuentes teaching four-box-two formations to Josh Scowen", what we've done by abandoning that and pushing the Ainsworth button is not only gone to the opposite style of the prior three managers, but the most extreme example of that opposite style. We're doubling down on that by letting him dictate the players.

The longer it goes, the more players he brings in, the more unsuited this squad is going to be to the sort of person you're talking about here. Which, for what it's worth, is the sort of thing I'd be much more on board with than whatever the fck this is we're doing atm.
Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 07:27 - Aug 9 with 1805 viewsdavman

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 23:02 - Aug 8 by BrianMcCarthy

It's the silence from them (which may not be that unusual I guess), the absenteeism (which is unusual), the fact that they are doing nothing proactive to change direction and the fact thatHoos has been quoted saying that we are looking for investment to support the board and to take an active interest in the running of the club.

Might have things wrong, but it does not feel like they will be hanging around to me.

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 07:45 - Aug 9 with 1762 viewsdmm

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 20:44 - Aug 8 by Hunterhoop

He might just be a great fit there for whatever reason. Or it’s our players…

Not sure if it’s on here, but Ainsworth setting us up in the second half 4312 shape might be a wise idea for Cardiff. Armstrong and Dykes up top with Chair in behind and then a workmanlike midfield of Field, Colback (if fit) and Duke McKenna in front of the back 4. He has to play Armstrong and Dykes. Has to.

I don't necessarily disagree with that formation and those players v Cardiff but it's surprising how many have backed Duke McKenna based on his 45 mins v Watford. He ran hard to close down the opposition but not a lot else. I'm all for a 3 man CM but he should not be a first pick this season. He's simply not good enough to help solve our midfield problems.
Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 07:46 - Aug 9 with 1757 viewsdaveB

for me it's not about players buying into Ainsworth, it was the tactical set up at the weekend. The plan was drop off, let them have the ball and defend the 18 yard box but that just left them with tons of space and when players came out to engage it only took one or two passes to get in behind us, we were wide open in midfield. Sam Field chasing players out wide. the 3rd goal it's Kelman the last defender chasing the runner, he's supposed to be up front, thats how deep we were as a team.

To me it looked like the players were doing what they were asked to and when they were asked to do something different second half they did that as well
Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 07:51 - Aug 9 with 1729 viewsRangers67

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 20:29 - Aug 8 by Lblock

Years ago I posted a story I’d heard from people at the yoof team that his approach was idiotic and totally at odds with the modern day game.
Parents were scratching their heads at what he was actually trying to achieve and in the end left and ended up at a Premiership club.

As for the “clique” be very careful what you say.
History tells you certain people will be on you like a tramp on chips chucking the racist card about.

Well thanks for the heads up about using the term clique but I think if anyone infers from that word any sort of racial connotation to my post then the problem is in their head not mine. If you read to the end of the post you will see I say the problem is with the way the club is run from the top to the bottom which of course includes people with all shades of skin colour. Just to clarify , the racial origin of people at the club is not the problem, their ability to do their job properly is.
Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 07:51 - Aug 9 with 1724 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 15:37 - Aug 8 by Northernr

I'm amazed there hasn't been some holding to account at the top of that academy. Paul Hall, Alex Carroll, Chris Ramsey. What are these people doing? Hall is on the bench for all the first team games now. Ramsey is on the train back from every first team away game. The academy can offer this team nothing when it's desperately in need. You've got Paul Furlong there now pro-licence qualified, and all these other people milling around over his head. The standard of player available to Gareth now should surely be seeing some people fall on some swords.

This post has been edited by an administrator

I'll put money on the owners not getting rid of anyone. If you are selling a company (which some of us think the owners are preparing) then they would leave it to be someone else's problem and incur the cost.

In defence of the academy, it usually takes about 10 years to see an impact. If u think an U8 is now U18/19, a 10 year cycle. Some of the U18/19 look quite good and could make an impact if given a chance.

However, those boys have been coached for 10 years to play a certain way. Now we have Ainsworth, who plays the opposite to how they have been coached. Omnishambles.

Is there an alternative to Ainsworth? Yes he's called Mark Warburton, but that ship sailed.
Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 08:24 - Aug 9 with 1644 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Interesting, but in this day and age, that's neither rocket science nor novel thinking.

The buy-in issue is something many of us have highlighted and I think if he's fundamentally setting his teams up wrong, then trust/buy-in and confidence are going to struggle to take root.

We all want him to succeed as much as QPR need him to given the mess we're in and which stymie him somewhat. Shouldered gave got the gig, but now he's here, we've got no choice but to stick with him, but he's got to manage better too.

In Gaz we hope, desperately!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 08:26 - Aug 9 with 1630 viewsEsox_Lucius

I have been saying for weeks now that the players don't like the way that GA plays and, having been brought together to play a possession based technical style, it goes every grain of instinct they have had coached into them.
Analogies; you wouldn't ask Prof. Brian Cox to teach finger painting to pre school kids and be happy, you wouldn't convince Eric Clapton that playing Staus Quo covers in a pub band was a worthwhile exercise, you wouldn't buy a Le Ferrari to use in your furniture removal business etc.
IMO getting GA in as manager has been the worst decision since hiring Joey Barton to play for us; Nasser El Khayati was a better signing. What has happened means that we won't be offered the type of technical players on loan that we became used to seeing pre GA as the parent teams want to see their players progress.
This season could well be our latest Stewart Houston experience and I didn't enjoy that very much either. I will be turning up to games with low expectations and the sure knowledge that sooner or later it will change around again, as it has done in almost 60 years of watching the club.
In response to the original question, most of the people on here who have answers should be given a go, they couldn't do any worse.

The grass is always greener.

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 08:33 - Aug 9 with 1568 viewsNorthernr

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 08:26 - Aug 9 by Esox_Lucius

I have been saying for weeks now that the players don't like the way that GA plays and, having been brought together to play a possession based technical style, it goes every grain of instinct they have had coached into them.
Analogies; you wouldn't ask Prof. Brian Cox to teach finger painting to pre school kids and be happy, you wouldn't convince Eric Clapton that playing Staus Quo covers in a pub band was a worthwhile exercise, you wouldn't buy a Le Ferrari to use in your furniture removal business etc.
IMO getting GA in as manager has been the worst decision since hiring Joey Barton to play for us; Nasser El Khayati was a better signing. What has happened means that we won't be offered the type of technical players on loan that we became used to seeing pre GA as the parent teams want to see their players progress.
This season could well be our latest Stewart Houston experience and I didn't enjoy that very much either. I will be turning up to games with low expectations and the sure knowledge that sooner or later it will change around again, as it has done in almost 60 years of watching the club.
In response to the original question, most of the people on here who have answers should be given a go, they couldn't do any worse.

Agree, but they chucked Critchley, who is a more progressive football coach under the bus, as well so I'm running a little low on patience for what these players like and don't like TBH.
Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 08:46 - Aug 9 with 1553 viewsChrisNW6

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 08:26 - Aug 9 by Esox_Lucius

The rot set in under Critchley and not sure we were in a position to go through another long interview process to identify another Beale type manager. Dressing room was lost and in hindsight sticking with Critchley for this seasons rebuild would have been preferable, but relegation possibly not avoided. We missed Warnock by a few weeks and the possession based technical style was failing miserably. Key players were being sold regardless this season and it's probably easier to bring in Ainsworth type players on a shoestring.
Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 08:56 - Aug 9 with 1531 viewsQPROslo

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 07:51 - Aug 9 by Wilkinswatercarrier

I'll put money on the owners not getting rid of anyone. If you are selling a company (which some of us think the owners are preparing) then they would leave it to be someone else's problem and incur the cost.

In defence of the academy, it usually takes about 10 years to see an impact. If u think an U8 is now U18/19, a 10 year cycle. Some of the U18/19 look quite good and could make an impact if given a chance.

However, those boys have been coached for 10 years to play a certain way. Now we have Ainsworth, who plays the opposite to how they have been coached. Omnishambles.

Is there an alternative to Ainsworth? Yes he's called Mark Warburton, but that ship sailed.

Why do you think Warburton "ship sailed"? Has he got a new job? Last I find is he left West Ham saying he wanted a more senior job and he's said before he's interested in a DoF position, a position we have open.
Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 08:58 - Aug 9 with 1522 viewstkqpr

Alternative - Steve Evans - Stevenage
Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 09:20 - Aug 9 with 1383 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 07:27 - Aug 9 by davman

It's the silence from them (which may not be that unusual I guess), the absenteeism (which is unusual), the fact that they are doing nothing proactive to change direction and the fact thatHoos has been quoted saying that we are looking for investment to support the board and to take an active interest in the running of the club.

Might have things wrong, but it does not feel like they will be hanging around to me.

Ok, thanks Dav. Interesting point about absenteeism. I wasn't aware of that, thanks.

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 09:30 - Aug 9 with 1312 viewsbaz_qpr

Is there a realistic alternative to Ainsworth? on 08:56 - Aug 9 by QPROslo

Why do you think Warburton "ship sailed"? Has he got a new job? Last I find is he left West Ham saying he wanted a more senior job and he's said before he's interested in a DoF position, a position we have open.

I would suspect if they let his contract expire because of "behaviours" they would be unlikely to offer the same person another role, no matter how talented or good they are at their job
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024