Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Paper interest in Freeman 09:13 - Jul 29 with 62834 viewsbosh67

Apparently West Brom and Boro looking at a bid ITRO £3m for him. Would be a huge loss for us but given what's happened and what we bought him for that would be around a 10 fold return. Depends where we are in terms of being able to fight off bids. I imagine Freeman would be happy to stay as he plays every week here and perhaps the FFP settlement means that we don't have to get picked off by the vultures in terms of selling players. I guess if he does go we have Manning who could play that role and Chair.

Hopefully just press bluster.
[Post edited 29 Jul 2018 9:13]

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Paper interest in Freeman on 15:29 - Aug 3 with 3828 viewsjohnhoop

Paper interest in Freeman on 14:55 - Aug 3 by jonno

Well that’s quite shocking and worrying at the same time and makes McLarens recent statement that we don’t have to sell anyone a bit dubious.

You’re not the only one feeling concerned by the way things are going. I get the whole thing about FFP meaning we can’t afford to buy anyone for the foreseeable future but I really think that we at least need to hang on to the decent players we have got if we want to stand any chance of making a go of it in the championship this year.
Having read Clive’s informative and highly entertaining review of the prospects of the other clubs in the Championship, one thing that struck me was that almost all the other teams had been able to strengthen their squads this season, some of them quite considerably, with new signings or loan deals. For reasons that everybody knows about and which we are all forced to accept, we have been unable to do so. In fact our squad is considerably weaker, having lost Ned, Robinson and now Smithies.
If we add to our loss of a keeper who was worth around 7-10 goals a season by losing a player who had one of,if not the best records for assists in the Championship last year I think we could really be struggling to stay up. If it is absolutely essential for us to not fail FFP in the short term then those are the only grounds I can think of for letting Freeman go. But from what McLaren has said that does not appear to be the case. So let’s keep what remains of the team together to give ourselves the best possible chance of doing well this season and entertaining the spectators.
Paper interest in Freeman on 15:59 - Aug 3 with 3659 viewsAntti_Heinola

Paper interest in Freeman on 14:55 - Aug 3 by jonno

Well that’s quite shocking and worrying at the same time and makes McLarens recent statement that we don’t have to sell anyone a bit dubious.

on the podcast, Hoos said it's undisclosed, adding he'd prefer other clubs to think we accepted less. The original fee rumour came from the Cardiff side, and t suits them and Warnock to appear to have done a great deal. Truth is, no one knows the fee other than those involved. It could easily be £5m, which is pretty decent.

Hoos also said we don't *need* to sell, but you have to look at every option - as all clubs do. If we lose Freeman, we have to replace more cheaply. That's what we *should* be doing.

Not quite sure, though, why clubs have waited this long to bid for him. If they have.

Bare bones.

Paper interest in Freeman on 16:02 - Aug 3 with 3631 viewsenfieldargh

If its Boro they paid West Ham what 8million for a rookie striker who they then loaned out so if they can spend that on him then they can pay us north of 10 million for Freeman

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Paper interest in Freeman on 16:02 - Aug 3 with 3629 viewsAntti_Heinola

Paper interest in Freeman on 15:29 - Aug 3 by johnhoop

You’re not the only one feeling concerned by the way things are going. I get the whole thing about FFP meaning we can’t afford to buy anyone for the foreseeable future but I really think that we at least need to hang on to the decent players we have got if we want to stand any chance of making a go of it in the championship this year.
Having read Clive’s informative and highly entertaining review of the prospects of the other clubs in the Championship, one thing that struck me was that almost all the other teams had been able to strengthen their squads this season, some of them quite considerably, with new signings or loan deals. For reasons that everybody knows about and which we are all forced to accept, we have been unable to do so. In fact our squad is considerably weaker, having lost Ned, Robinson and now Smithies.
If we add to our loss of a keeper who was worth around 7-10 goals a season by losing a player who had one of,if not the best records for assists in the Championship last year I think we could really be struggling to stay up. If it is absolutely essential for us to not fail FFP in the short term then those are the only grounds I can think of for letting Freeman go. But from what McLaren has said that does not appear to be the case. So let’s keep what remains of the team together to give ourselves the best possible chance of doing well this season and entertaining the spectators.

Agree, and losing Freeman would be a huge blow.

However, I think Robbo's leaving is overstated. He weren't that good, and if (and it is a big if) Hall can get fit, he's already, essentially, been replaced. Hpefuly Leistner will be as good as Ned, if not as quick.

In a sense, it's the same with Freeman, we played half a season barely using Eze, Smyth and Bright, who can all play in Freeman's possible position wide left or right.

Having said that, I already think we'll struggle and do believe losing Freeman and not replacing him at all would see us struggle to stay up.

Bare bones.

Paper interest in Freeman on 16:07 - Aug 3 with 3593 viewsterryb

Paper interest in Freeman on 14:31 - Aug 3 by daveB

It was the only bid they had on the table and only one they had got in the last 3 years for him. Was a case of take it or hope someone else comes in for him despite no one showing an interest.

I know I'm on my own with this but I thought the club did the right thing in accepting that bid.

Your certainly not alone Dave.

I'm sure Smithies is worth more than whatever figure we accepted, but no other club (or their supporters) think so.

It's also far from a certainty that he won't be sitting on the bench most of this season.
Paper interest in Freeman on 16:18 - Aug 3 with 3546 viewsMaggsinho

Looks like Adama Traore is off to Wolves for £18m so Boro was will be looking to replace him.
Paper interest in Freeman on 16:42 - Aug 3 with 3475 viewsHarbour

Paper interest in Freeman on 16:18 - Aug 3 by Maggsinho

Looks like Adama Traore is off to Wolves for £18m so Boro was will be looking to replace him.

In that case if they want Freeman that will be £20m and a sell on clause
Paper interest in Freeman on 17:03 - Aug 3 with 3384 viewsLblock

If we sell Freeman now I think that's us bottom 6 and bang in trouble

It'll mean we have lost a keeper and midfielder worth I'd say 16 to 24 points and not replaced them. I also think it'll really unsettle the squad

The Smithies money has obviously been allocated into the "Bungle Fund" as there a zero squad additions on the horizon, I'd imagine any fee for any player will go the same way. I struggle to see how that's not the case as if we don't add to the squad next few days then don't forget we can't then add to it until next summer.

How anyone can continue to defend Bungle I do not know.

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Login to get fewer ads

Paper interest in Freeman on 18:24 - Aug 3 with 3266 viewsMancR

Blimey mate you need another use of your leisure time because qpr can't be good for health!
Paper interest in Freeman on 18:31 - Aug 3 with 3244 viewsNorthernr

Paper interest in Freeman on 17:03 - Aug 3 by Lblock

It'll mean we have lost a keeper and midfielder worth I'd say 16 to 24 points and not replaced them. I also think it'll really unsettle the squad

The Smithies money has obviously been allocated into the "Bungle Fund" as there a zero squad additions on the horizon, I'd imagine any fee for any player will go the same way. I struggle to see how that's not the case as if we don't add to the squad next few days then don't forget we can't then add to it until next summer.

You've spent the last two and half years telling us we're bang in trouble and about to be relegated.
Paper interest in Freeman on 19:19 - Aug 3 with 3146 viewsQPR_John

We either had to sell Smithies to stay within FFP or not. If so as many have suggested then the money was used to cover losses and would not be available for purchases if not as you seem to suggest the price was even more rediculous
Paper interest in Freeman on 20:30 - Aug 3 with 3026 viewssmegma

Paper interest in Freeman on 18:31 - Aug 3 by Northernr

You've spent the last two and half years telling us we're bang in trouble and about to be relegated.

And if we get relegated in 2022, he'll claim 'told you so' !!!
Paper interest in Freeman on 21:43 - Aug 3 with 2872 viewsDeepcutHoop

They're making us play games with 9 men and no keeper?

This FFP punishment is too harsh.....
Paper interest in Freeman on 21:52 - Aug 3 with 2848 viewsGloucs_R

As good as Freeman is, one thing we are not short of is attacking midfielders. Make a profit, blood the next one.

Poll: Are we staying up?

Paper interest in Freeman on 22:26 - Aug 3 with 2778 viewsMyke

Paper interest in Freeman on 21:52 - Aug 3 by Gloucs_R

As good as Freeman is, one thing we are not short of is attacking midfielders. Make a profit, blood the next one.

Similarly to Smithies, we already have a replacement within the squad (maybe a couple) and any money freed up must be spent on defenders. The difficulty, as I mentioned in a different thread, is not that we have similar or perhaps superior ability in the understudy, but rather we are tipping the scales in favour of inexperience over experience rather, than keeping a balance between the two
Paper interest in Freeman on 22:28 - Aug 3 with 2783 viewsLblock

Paper interest in Freeman on 18:31 - Aug 3 by Northernr

I don't think that's strictly 100% true but I'll admit (and there's a dozen people in the Addy who will agree) my cup is usually half empty

If I have spend three seasons saying that then how far out have I been?

It's been touch and go right up to the business end of the last two for sure.
Sorry if I'm not smelling the roses in the garden all the time - it's my hayfever you see.

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Paper interest in Freeman on 00:20 - Aug 4 with 2609 viewsisawqpratwcity

What is this "Bungle Fund" of which you speak?

I trust Lee Hoos to deal appropriately with whatever funds the club has. If he says we can spend, great. If he says 'Smithies/whoever money' has to reduce debt, so be it.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Paper interest in Freeman on 07:28 - Aug 4 with 2525 viewsNorthernr

Paper interest in Freeman on 22:28 - Aug 3 by Lblock

I don't think that's strictly 100% true but I'll admit (and there's a dozen people in the Addy who will agree) my cup is usually half empty

If I have spend three seasons saying that then how far out have I been?

It's been touch and go right up to the business end of the last two for sure.
Sorry if I'm not smelling the roses in the garden all the time - it's my hayfever you see.

We were never closer than 6 points to the relegation zone last season, and even that was only for one week in January. In the end we were 15 points clear. It’s not exactly a near miss is it?

This post has been edited by an administrator
Paper interest in Freeman on 08:13 - Aug 4 with 2459 viewsDejR_vu

Paper interest in Freeman on 07:28 - Aug 4 by Northernr

We were never closer than 6 points to the relegation zone last season, and even that was only for one week in January. In the end we were 15 points clear. It’s not exactly a near miss is it?

This post has been edited by an administrator

It's a good thing that we don't all agree isn't it?

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

Paper interest in Freeman on 08:32 - Aug 4 with 2415 viewsNorthernr

Paper interest in Freeman on 08:13 - Aug 4 by DejR_vu

That’s not really something you can agree or disagree with, it’s a fact.
Paper interest in Freeman on 09:12 - Aug 4 with 2360 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Paper interest in Freeman on 08:13 - Aug 4 by DejR_vu

No it's not!

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Paper interest in Freeman on 09:17 - Aug 4 with 2334 views2Thomas2Bowles

Northen and Lblock are very pessimistic about this season

So what's the disagreement?
22/23/24th ?
[Post edited 4 Aug 2018 9:20]

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Paper interest in Freeman on 09:21 - Aug 4 with 2319 viewsBlue_Castello

Paper interest in Freeman on 00:20 - Aug 4 by isawqpratwcity

What is this "Bungle Fund" of which you speak?

I trust Lee Hoos to deal appropriately with whatever funds the club has. If he says we can spend, great. If he says 'Smithies/whoever money' has to reduce debt, so be it.

Agreed its a bit of a mystery this Bungle fund must be a secret place from a children's programme, surely can't be referring to the fact the board have AGAIN converted debt into shares for FFP using in effect their own money to subsidise the club.

However I do share some of Lblocks concerns about the squad strength, we desperately need another centre back and I'm hoping that the current release of Sainsbury from his contract means we can get our man. The Freeman issue is all about whether you think we have someone of similar quality to step into his shoes, what we saw of Eze at the end of the season you would say yes but he is still a very raw talent and we don't know how he will cope with the constant batterings he will get in the Championship. There's lots of other midfield players but they all don't have similar qualities to Freeman and Eze although Chair does look another good prospect.

My glass is definitely half full at the moment but a couple of good signings and I actually think we could challenge in the top half, if we don't it's another tough season down the bottom
[Post edited 4 Aug 2018 9:24]
Paper interest in Freeman on 11:34 - Aug 4 with 2093 viewsrsonist

A fool may throw a stone into a well, which a hundred wise men cannot pull out.
Paper interest in Freeman on 13:22 - Aug 4 with 1943 viewskensalriser

Freeman still here then?

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024