Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
TF 23:35 - Oct 19 with 6227 viewsBrightonhoop

Never thought I'd post this, but is it time for him to sell up and go?

Midas touch in reverse, full circle, alot of questionable debt, 2 relegations, HR and Hughes. It's like a Santas Xmas list so I wont go on.

For me he has exhausted his opportunities. For the love of God Tony, go. Please. Find a suitable buyer. And go.
TF on 10:25 - Oct 20 with 1335 viewsDiscodroids

TF on 10:07 - Oct 20 by daveB

Did you know it was Warburton who wrote the Baggio to QPR story back in the 90's? Always been one to never let facts get in the way of a good story

i didnt dave,but it does'nt surprise me at all mate

'From Little Acorns, Harold..'

TF on 10:29 - Oct 20 with 1319 viewsDiscodroids

TF on 10:04 - Oct 20 by Mvpeter

Haha I'm guessing you enjoyed his top five reasons. I can't recall any that were related to management but it was a lovely tribute to a wonderful soul.

I know mate, its a week after I read it , and i still cant quite believe he said that.

i wasnt sure If he was putting forward reasons for Ramsey to be the manager or as a 1970's Saturday tea time talent show host, with Tony hatch , Mickey Most and lennie bennet.

in addition , hes facking tweets sound like the result of a fukfest between Hal 9000 and metal mickey.

TF on 10:48 - Oct 20 with 1294 viewsNorthernr

TF on 10:21 - Oct 20 by Mytch_QPR

No buyer is likely to - TF and the Mittals etc would have to write it off, unless we establish ourselves back in the PL for a couple of seasons.

I'm not saying I like all the big spending - like Clive I find it all a bit crass and can understand how people feel disconnected with the game.

Clive made the point that we have spent 3 out of 4 seasons in the Premier Lge, but we were ill-equipped when we first came up and TF backed Hughes to keep us up (just). He also backed a costly squad that scraped promotion. The point is that he has made some massively costly mistakes but we probably would have spent only one season out of 4 in the PL without the investment.

This opens up an entirely new discussion about whether we want PL football or are happy treading water the Championship(!)

well it rather dispels TF's idea that we need to go straight back this year when we're obviously not ready for it to get our hands on the TV money. Probably blow it all again and stick another £50m on the debt.
TF on 10:55 - Oct 20 with 1282 viewsMvpeter

TF on 10:48 - Oct 20 by Northernr

well it rather dispels TF's idea that we need to go straight back this year when we're obviously not ready for it to get our hands on the TV money. Probably blow it all again and stick another £50m on the debt.

Normally I would suggest that you could go up and then save the money, while still being able to improve the team and if you go down you've had two seasons of improvement and are financially better off. We've failed to do that twice though so it's not very likely.

Poll: Who should be our left back?

TF on 11:00 - Oct 20 with 1261 viewsrichpr

TF's main problem is that he wants to be popular and he does actually listen to the fans. I just hope he and his mates - Mital etc - aren't hounded out by the fans cos then we are in trouble. No-one will touch us with a barge-pole.
TF on 11:06 - Oct 20 with 1241 viewsMytch_QPR

TF on 10:48 - Oct 20 by Northernr

That opens another can of worms - most of us would agree that we need a season of consolidation (looks like we are getting our mid-table finish anyway as things stand)...

"Thank you for supporting Queens Park Rangers Steep Staircase"... and I thought I'd signed up for a rollercoaster.
Poll: Next temporary manager (the wheel of misfortune) - as requested by 18 Stone

TF on 11:16 - Oct 20 with 1223 viewslondonscottish

TF on 08:16 - Oct 20 by PlanetHonneywood

A year into Captain Titanic's stewardship, it was apparent he was clueless.

His ego and naivety have been our undoing and as was evident with his time at Caterham, Tony seems to think he knows best. When he arrived, knowing nothing about football, he really should have got someone in to guide him or better still, run it.

The lack of institutional football knowledge at this club for the first three years was a joke. Added to this, he has learned nothing during his time here and the highpoint of this man's utter incompetence, of the many, was his appointing CR one day and then tweeting about a dream manager coming at the end of the season.

After a rather nondescript few months in charge, Tony's dream was to reappoint CR, and for three (3) years!! Although, to be fair, I think Rubin might have started making the calls at or around this time.

People forget that while he has saddled us with £200m plus worth of debt, he has also squandered four years of the highest income we've received into our coffers. I am sure more accountant savvy posters than I could confirm, but in view of gate receipts, TV money and sponsorship, we've probably spunked a good few hundred million as well.

Tony Fernandes inherited the incompetence that had started to germinate at QPR ever since Chris Wright, he's just been the manure to make it grow out of all proportion. The fact that we mention him in the same terms as Goldberg and Ridsdale says it all.

I do not subscribe to this 'he cares' nonsense merely because he says so on twitter and buys some beers for fans before games. He has been nothing short of a disaster for QPR and the sooner he is removed from having any sort of input into any decisions, the better. For clearly, he has got precious little right since he came here.

Superb line;

"Tony Fernandes inherited the incompetence that had started to germinate at QPR ever since Chris Wright, he's just been the manure to make it grow out of all proportion."

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

TF on 11:17 - Oct 20 with 1223 viewsTHEBUSH

This thread is a bit like those who want a new manager, who will solve all our problems on the pitch?
A new owner will be so much better than the one we have ?

I don't know the answer to these questions, all I know is that the grass ain't greener on the other side of the pitch !!
[Post edited 20 Oct 2015 11:19]
Login to get fewer ads

TF on 11:22 - Oct 20 with 1209 viewsSaycey

"buys some beers for fans before games"

It happened about twice. With a full retinue of media team and photographers in force.
TF on 11:26 - Oct 20 with 1191 viewsDiscodroids

Fernandes , He's a blunt instrument who fears no one, but craves approval . A bit like Laurence llewelyn Bowen , But with half the intelligence and none of the finesse.

i think i said on another thread, now he's been elbowed out a bit He's like the creepy man that got dumped by his wife for being manipulative and yet continues to stalk her, because he's certain he knows what's best for her. And thinks he's only doing her a favor.

Fernandes certainy has something of the' carry on' Pimpernel about him: elusive, courageous and duty bound to tip custard down the underpants of the feckless, the hateful and the downright dull.

[Post edited 20 Oct 2015 11:28]

TF on 11:30 - Oct 20 with 1184 viewsstevec

TF on 09:59 - Oct 20 by Saycey

Spot on Clive. Quarter of a billion in debt and zero to show for it.

The pertinent question for me is why should any potential buyer have to stump up to repay the debt that this board has run up in flights of fancy and incompetence?

Some fans keep saying "Be careful what you wish for". Did any of this wish for this £250m millstone around our necks?

As Mytch said, no potential buyer is going to pay for that debt, the present owners would have to write it off.

As such I would say the club itself is essentially debt free, however that is not all good news. It doesn't look like the owners will be willing to cover any more losses other than those they are already committed to, basically the players they failed to sell pre season.

Going forward that leaves only one option, sell your best players and bring in cheaper replacements. Pretty much what Ramsey and Ferdinand committed to. In terms of a strategy to eventually return to the Premier that is probably going to end only one way and a trip to League One in the not too distant future.

However, due to unforeseen circumstances, we do have a whole host of players who, in the right hands, should be able to get us into the play off positions. Then we pray.

This season is quite possibly the very last chance we are going to get to play in the Premier again. Fail this year, those players will finally be sold, TF and his cohorts will put this down to experience and we could be in for one almighty fall from grace.
TF on 11:35 - Oct 20 with 1173 viewsdaveB

TF on 11:30 - Oct 20 by stevec

As Mytch said, no potential buyer is going to pay for that debt, the present owners would have to write it off.

As such I would say the club itself is essentially debt free, however that is not all good news. It doesn't look like the owners will be willing to cover any more losses other than those they are already committed to, basically the players they failed to sell pre season.

Going forward that leaves only one option, sell your best players and bring in cheaper replacements. Pretty much what Ramsey and Ferdinand committed to. In terms of a strategy to eventually return to the Premier that is probably going to end only one way and a trip to League One in the not too distant future.

However, due to unforeseen circumstances, we do have a whole host of players who, in the right hands, should be able to get us into the play off positions. Then we pray.

This season is quite possibly the very last chance we are going to get to play in the Premier again. Fail this year, those players will finally be sold, TF and his cohorts will put this down to experience and we could be in for one almighty fall from grace.

I don't buy that this is our last chance to get up, if we get things right this season and start to build foundations we'll be well placed to go up in the future. Middlesbrough, Norwich and Derby have shown if you take time to rebuild it may take a few years but you'll be in a far better state to stay up when you get promoted. If we go up this year not a chance we'd survive next season and we'd be back to square one even more in debt
TF on 11:47 - Oct 20 with 1153 viewsstevec

TF on 11:35 - Oct 20 by daveB

I don't buy that this is our last chance to get up, if we get things right this season and start to build foundations we'll be well placed to go up in the future. Middlesbrough, Norwich and Derby have shown if you take time to rebuild it may take a few years but you'll be in a far better state to stay up when you get promoted. If we go up this year not a chance we'd survive next season and we'd be back to square one even more in debt

Well I hope you're right Dave. Norwich, I believe, had the right facilities in place, bigger ground/support and have still been up and down like us. Derby, in a similar position to Norwich, have been floundering around in this league for some years. Middlesbrough are more of a comparison but all of these clubs had grounds way over the capacity of 18000 we have. That is why the likes of TF and Bernie before him were so important to our step up.

Without their kind of investment we are going to struggle. TF has certainly made a mess of things but he's still our best hope.
TF on 12:06 - Oct 20 with 1121 viewsdaveB

TF on 11:47 - Oct 20 by stevec

Well I hope you're right Dave. Norwich, I believe, had the right facilities in place, bigger ground/support and have still been up and down like us. Derby, in a similar position to Norwich, have been floundering around in this league for some years. Middlesbrough are more of a comparison but all of these clubs had grounds way over the capacity of 18000 we have. That is why the likes of TF and Bernie before him were so important to our step up.

Without their kind of investment we are going to struggle. TF has certainly made a mess of things but he's still our best hope.

We do need a massive upgrade not just in terms of facilities but in terms of scouting at all levels to get anywhere near being able to go up and survive but it can be done. I wouldn't put a penny of anyone's money on it happening but this season doesn't have to be do or die
TF on 12:07 - Oct 20 with 1121 viewsMedwayR

Despite all the talk from Fernandes & Co about lessons learnt there's still little evidence that they have. The biggest lesson they could have learnt is to get a realistic plan in place, I'm not sure they ever had plans for the club & I still don't think they do, it appears that they thought it would take care of itself. Until they do this we'll continue to make bad decision after bad decision, I really believe our only hope is Lee Hoos & Sir Les who appear to have some idea of what they're doing as long as the owners don't stick their noses in & undermine and disrupt things too much or too often.

Will new owners be the answer...maybe, maybe not but it's a big unknown to go into. At least we know who our owners are and that they have serious amounts of money, whether the financing of the club is from their pockets or loans from elsewhere is my concern. If Fernandes & co wanted out would Mittal/Bhatia buy them out and would they be any better? There's evidence that they almost certainly would be but who knows...

Poll: Who’s better?

TF on 12:14 - Oct 20 with 977 viewsR_from_afar

TF on 09:36 - Oct 20 by Mytch_QPR

Agree.
All chairmen make mistakes at some point, otherwise all football managers would stay in their jobs more or less permanently.
Sure, TF uses the club as a publicity vehicle - that's a trade off for the millions he has pumped in. Those millions just scraped survival under Mark Hughes and kept together a very costly squad that scraped promotion and a fantastic day at Wembley.
It's all very well talking about alternatives, but who is going to come in and (a) clear the debts, (b) guarantee it is run better.

It's been massively frustrating at times under TF, but rarely boring!

Be careful what you wish for.

Two excellent posts, Mytch and Somerset.

Sell up? We couldn't get rid of Rangers on Freecycle, what with our debts!

Come on, we need to calm down and bear with the club while it tries to sort out the ethos and structure or we are going to end up with the merrygoround we had before.

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

TF on 12:20 - Oct 20 with 969 viewsR_from_afar

TF on 09:51 - Oct 20 by Northernr

On the "millions pumped in" line, what about the millions taken out?
QPR have been in the Premier League for three of the last four seasons, receiving handsome television payments which could have secured the club's future for decades. We could have built a new training ground which we own quite comfortably with that money. We could have been entirely debt free with cash reserves in the bank for a rainy day. We could have been one of the few clubs with absolutely no financial worries whatsoever.

Instead Fernandes and co have thrown it all away on wnkr footballers to promote their airline.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Yes but with your line "Fernandes and co have thrown it all away on wnkr footballers to promote their airline" you are letting our previous managers off the hook. OK, so we brought in a lot of expensive has-beens and high risk overseas "prospects" on Tony's watch but the managers must be held responsible too.

Not all the players brought in were "wnkr footballers" - ha, the Microsoft spellchecker struggled with that phrase - either because we did get Simpson, Austin and Dunne, to name but three, but I am starting to split hairs and take your point so it's time to hit "Add reply".

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

TF on 12:21 - Oct 20 with 967 viewsMytch_QPR

TF on 11:47 - Oct 20 by stevec

That's the point I was making earlier - we're past the Crazy Boys days, to get up requires major investment - and let's face it, we were all (most of us) salivating when the likes of Cisse / Cesar / Park / Bosingwa (sorry to mention him) were being ushered in by TF and Beard.

There is a bigger issue here, and it has been discussed before under the subject 'identity':

1) We are a relatively small club (in terms of history, stadium size)
2) We want to get into the top flight
3) We get to the top flight - now we have to stay there
4) The top players don't want to come to a 'small' club who might just survive in the PL, but certainly unlikely to reach the top 8.
5) To lure in experienced players we pay more money than some other PL clubs - they are mercenaries who are either at the end of their careers or don't really have ambition but like the big money
6) We get relegated. Return to step 1.

So, we've all learned something. TF has learned harder - but he has the money (and I'm sure that there are some fringe benefits to QPR making a loss if viewed as a wider group of companies).

The bigger issue is how you bring together a set of players who really want to play for the club - not just the pay cheque. TF's made mistakes and I think this is the direction Les and Lee Hoos are now trying to take the club in. In terms of promotion this season, yes - we may as well make a go of it if we are in the running come Feb / Mar. If we do achieve it then we'll see if TF does the same thing again.

"Thank you for supporting Queens Park Rangers Steep Staircase"... and I thought I'd signed up for a rollercoaster.
Poll: Next temporary manager (the wheel of misfortune) - as requested by 18 Stone

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024