Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Clarke Carlisle and actor Ralf Little 02:48 - Feb 7 with 3279 viewsOsbourne

I for one am not a great watcher of TV, apart from sport on TV, mainly football! Therefore I do not know who Actor, Ralf Little is. Apparently he is an actor on "The Royal Family" which I have never watched.

He (Ralf Little) though, has said some surprising things about the disturbing story of one of Pool's past players, Clarke Carlisle.

This is what Ralf Little has said :
"I don't feel sad for Clarke any more, I was drained of that some time ago. Of course I wish Clarke a strong recovery - and not just from the crash. It would be a better world if he and all other sufferers of such an insidious disease could find a way to fight the good fight. There comes a point where it's just frustrating to witness someone constantly hammering the pattern of destruction for those around - and I was once one of those around - only to see the destructive force make a moving and sincere apology ..... then do it again."

What does Ralf Little mean by the term "insidious disease?"

Does he mean depression or alcoholism?

I must say that with the Clarke Carlisle story all over the media this week, including a cover story / interview in the Sun newspaper, it really is a disturbing story.

I was very surprised to read what this actor (Ralf Little) has said.

For me, we live in a society where alcohol is available. Should we really be surprised when people drink to excess? Rather like having very powerful cars (really racing cars) on civilian roads. should we really be surprised when people accelerate excessively in them and drive at excessive speeds? Society allows alcohol, society allows fast cars. Lets not be so surprised when things go wrong!

Clarke Carlisle seems to of got in trouble with living in the modern world. I am very surprised that Ralf Little has said what he has said.

Am I missing something? How do other AVFTT posters see this one?
Clarke Carlisle and actor Ralf Little on 08:22 - Feb 7 with 3247 viewsfleetwoodbry

Imho Ralf Little obviously doesn't understand the real demons that effect Clarke Carlisle's life, otherwise he'd have kept his thoughts to himself. Put alcohol and severe depression together and you have a terrible cocktail that can often lead to destruction, Clarke is better off without this odious person in his life, imho of course
Clarke Carlisle and actor Ralf Little on 09:39 - Feb 7 with 3227 viewsOsbourne

Clarke Carlisle and actor Ralf Little on 08:22 - Feb 7 by fleetwoodbry

Imho Ralf Little obviously doesn't understand the real demons that effect Clarke Carlisle's life, otherwise he'd have kept his thoughts to himself. Put alcohol and severe depression together and you have a terrible cocktail that can often lead to destruction, Clarke is better off without this odious person in his life, imho of course

Yes, fleetwoodbry.

The disease that this actor infers is probably both depression and alcoholism.

I really need to read more about Clarke Carlisle to try to understand this story.

Clarke Carlisle had recently lost a good job as a pundit with Sky. But the catalogue of events since then for Clarke seem almost unbelievable.

I think that this actor is inferring that when Carlisle drinks, he drinks.

Blimey.
Clarke Carlisle and actor Ralf Little on 09:55 - Feb 7 with 3221 viewsstraightatthewall

Clarke Carlisle and actor Ralf Little on 09:39 - Feb 7 by Osbourne

Yes, fleetwoodbry.

The disease that this actor infers is probably both depression and alcoholism.

I really need to read more about Clarke Carlisle to try to understand this story.

Clarke Carlisle had recently lost a good job as a pundit with Sky. But the catalogue of events since then for Clarke seem almost unbelievable.

I think that this actor is inferring that when Carlisle drinks, he drinks.

Blimey.

There's a lot more to this than some nasty words.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ralf-little-clarke-carlisle-i-5114576

We got Bogdanovic, Oyston got very rich

Clarke Carlisle and actor Ralf Little on 11:29 - Feb 7 with 3199 viewsTejas

It's sour grapes from Little who's had an ongoing battle with Clarke for a while. He's using his status as an actor to have a "Brandesque" style rant. Social media has many dark sides, one of which is the populist rise of actors and comedians who appear to believe they have unshakeable views on everything. When a leading heart surgeon may have 25,000 followers on twitter and Russell Brand has 9 million, you know society has problems. This is just another celeb numpty riding that wave.

Depression is awful, nobody who had it been around it could have anything but sympathy with Clarke Carlisle.
Clarke Carlisle and actor Ralf Little on 13:01 - Feb 7 with 3174 viewsfleetwoodbry

Clarke Carlisle and actor Ralf Little on 11:29 - Feb 7 by Tejas

It's sour grapes from Little who's had an ongoing battle with Clarke for a while. He's using his status as an actor to have a "Brandesque" style rant. Social media has many dark sides, one of which is the populist rise of actors and comedians who appear to believe they have unshakeable views on everything. When a leading heart surgeon may have 25,000 followers on twitter and Russell Brand has 9 million, you know society has problems. This is just another celeb numpty riding that wave.

Depression is awful, nobody who had it been around it could have anything but sympathy with Clarke Carlisle.

Agree wholeheartedly Tejas
Clarke Carlisle and actor Ralf Little on 14:25 - Feb 7 with 3149 viewsOsbourne

Clarke Carlisle and actor Ralf Little on 09:55 - Feb 7 by straightatthewall

There's a lot more to this than some nasty words.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ralf-little-clarke-carlisle-i-5114576

The Mirror newspaper article, kindly posted by straightatthewall, is certainly interesting.

Ralf Little and Clarke Carlisle obviously knew each other. I am still surprised though, that Ralf Little is prepared to write what he has, in light of what has occurred.

I will look to see if there are any articles written in the Sunday newspapers, about the Clarke Carlisle story. The story is certainly disturbing and unlike this actor, Ralf Little, I would be very hesitant to jump in, without understanding the story further.

I use to have a friend who was largely an alcoholic. He was an amusing character to socialize with. However, when under the influence of the "amber nectar" his behaviour could become very irrational! With me as his minder everything was generally ok and often comical. However, when I wasn't with him, things could and did, fly out of control. I would guess that this is what has happened to Clarke. But, I am guessing?

Some alcoholics are private alcoholics and one would never guess their reliance on alcohol. Clarke, like many people, probably liked to have people around him and to drink with friends - don't we all! Retirement from the excitement, comradeship and stimulation of playing football must be very difficult. Some can find new things to replace the impossible, others cannot. If Sky TV hadn't relinquished Clarke's employment, none of the proceeding events in Clarke's life would of probably happened. It is certainly a very harsh society that we all live in, in the 21st century, it really is. It is called...................................................Capitalism.

A lot of the ill's in modern day society have been caused by .....................................................................................modern day society itself.

Just a thought.

I would be interested to hear AVFTT posters views on this rather philosophical subject. Even if I say it myself, a little bit too deep at 14:18pm on a Saturday afternoon, just before Pool turn Norwich over at Carrow Road! This is a post for 23:00 when I am under the influence of the "Amber Nectar" myself.
At 23:00pm tonight I will return. 3 points in the bag from Carrow Road working out my winnings from a 12/1 substantial bet on my beloved Pool!
Clarke Carlisle and actor Ralf Little on 18:37 - Feb 7 with 3117 viewsTejas

Clarke Carlisle and actor Ralf Little on 14:25 - Feb 7 by Osbourne

The Mirror newspaper article, kindly posted by straightatthewall, is certainly interesting.

Ralf Little and Clarke Carlisle obviously knew each other. I am still surprised though, that Ralf Little is prepared to write what he has, in light of what has occurred.

I will look to see if there are any articles written in the Sunday newspapers, about the Clarke Carlisle story. The story is certainly disturbing and unlike this actor, Ralf Little, I would be very hesitant to jump in, without understanding the story further.

I use to have a friend who was largely an alcoholic. He was an amusing character to socialize with. However, when under the influence of the "amber nectar" his behaviour could become very irrational! With me as his minder everything was generally ok and often comical. However, when I wasn't with him, things could and did, fly out of control. I would guess that this is what has happened to Clarke. But, I am guessing?

Some alcoholics are private alcoholics and one would never guess their reliance on alcohol. Clarke, like many people, probably liked to have people around him and to drink with friends - don't we all! Retirement from the excitement, comradeship and stimulation of playing football must be very difficult. Some can find new things to replace the impossible, others cannot. If Sky TV hadn't relinquished Clarke's employment, none of the proceeding events in Clarke's life would of probably happened. It is certainly a very harsh society that we all live in, in the 21st century, it really is. It is called...................................................Capitalism.

A lot of the ill's in modern day society have been caused by .....................................................................................modern day society itself.

Just a thought.

I would be interested to hear AVFTT posters views on this rather philosophical subject. Even if I say it myself, a little bit too deep at 14:18pm on a Saturday afternoon, just before Pool turn Norwich over at Carrow Road! This is a post for 23:00 when I am under the influence of the "Amber Nectar" myself.
At 23:00pm tonight I will return. 3 points in the bag from Carrow Road working out my winnings from a 12/1 substantial bet on my beloved Pool!

Alcoholism and depression is a lethal combination that most people would struggle to control. Just look at Paul Gascoigne as a case in point. It easy to be critical of people that have these awful diseases because they can and do tend to show very selfish characteristics.

From what I understand Clarke is trying to combat a number of demons which requires profession help. Public criticism would be like throwing a gallon of petrol on your BBQ, which is why I think Little is a nasty piece of work.
Clarke Carlisle and actor Ralf Little on 21:25 - Feb 7 with 3074 viewsPNENIL

Clarke Carlisle and actor Ralf Little on 18:37 - Feb 7 by Tejas

Alcoholism and depression is a lethal combination that most people would struggle to control. Just look at Paul Gascoigne as a case in point. It easy to be critical of people that have these awful diseases because they can and do tend to show very selfish characteristics.

From what I understand Clarke is trying to combat a number of demons which requires profession help. Public criticism would be like throwing a gallon of petrol on your BBQ, which is why I think Little is a nasty piece of work.

Maybe the fact that Little has spoken out and made himself a hate target suggests there's more to it than we know?
I have great sympathy for anyone with depression but absolutely none with someone who has been done twice for drink driving.
Login to get fewer ads

Clarke Carlisle and actor Ralf Little on 22:06 - Feb 7 with 3054 viewsThaliasdad

From reading Carlisles book i seem to remember that Little and Carlisle used to live together(not in a gay way) and there was a falling out about money. Might of dreamt it though as it was a while ago that i read the book
Clarke Carlisle and actor Ralf Little on 22:35 - Feb 7 with 3041 viewsstraightatthewall

Clarke Carlisle and actor Ralf Little on 22:06 - Feb 7 by Thaliasdad

From reading Carlisles book i seem to remember that Little and Carlisle used to live together(not in a gay way) and there was a falling out about money. Might of dreamt it though as it was a while ago that i read the book

Maybe Ralf Little has heard the same 'fallen off the wagon depression tale' too many times?

I have sympathy for Clark Carlisle, but he's a drinker. And he's displaying all the hallmarks of a drinker who's desperate to be in control, but keeps on losing.

It might just be that Ralf Little's lack of sympathy is actually the sort of 'tough love' he needs. Because if nothing else, it's more than twice where booze has got him into this sort of situation and undoubtedly it's booze that brings on the depression.

Clarke Carlisle and actor Ralf Little on 23:01 - Feb 7 with 3032 viewsPlumbs

Clarke Carlisle and actor Ralf Little on 22:35 - Feb 7 by straightatthewall

Maybe Ralf Little has heard the same 'fallen off the wagon depression tale' too many times?

I have sympathy for Clark Carlisle, but he's a drinker. And he's displaying all the hallmarks of a drinker who's desperate to be in control, but keeps on losing.

It might just be that Ralf Little's lack of sympathy is actually the sort of 'tough love' he needs. Because if nothing else, it's more than twice where booze has got him into this sort of situation and undoubtedly it's booze that brings on the depression.

Good one with the 'wagon' comment straiters and well put. West Herts however will be off the wagon tonight and get truly rat faced,after a sparkling victory today in the Old Firm* Derby

*Norf Landan innit

Real fans go to pubs like the HITW or the Welly

Clarke Carlisle and actor Ralf Little on 11:13 - Feb 8 with 2977 viewssteve_g

Clarke Carlisle and actor Ralf Little on 23:01 - Feb 7 by Plumbs

Good one with the 'wagon' comment straiters and well put. West Herts however will be off the wagon tonight and get truly rat faced,after a sparkling victory today in the Old Firm* Derby

*Norf Landan innit

Have heard enough stories about Carlisle to know that he is not the victim here - clever manipulator who only has himself to blame for where he's at. Feel sorry for anyone with a mental illness or depression but Clarke's behaviour started well before his latest troubles.

Poll: Has the O's treatment of fans re: court proceedings changed your opinion of them

Clarke Carlisle and actor Ralf Little on 12:59 - Feb 8 with 2966 viewsfleetwoodbry

Clarke Carlisle and actor Ralf Little on 22:35 - Feb 7 by straightatthewall

Straighters could it not be t'other way round tho' in that the depression leads to the booze?? Unless we're in that situation ourselves, no-one really knows surely? Proper serious depression is a wicked disease, and anyone treating it otherwise hasn't been there, trust me on that
Clarke Carlisle and actor Ralf Little on 15:52 - Feb 8 with 2930 viewsOsbourne

Clarke Carlisle and actor Ralf Little on 12:59 - Feb 8 by fleetwoodbry

Straighters could it not be t'other way round tho' in that the depression leads to the booze?? Unless we're in that situation ourselves, no-one really knows surely? Proper serious depression is a wicked disease, and anyone treating it otherwise hasn't been there, trust me on that

Nothing in Sunday newspaper I've got my hands on about the Clarke Carlisle story.

Clarke Carlisle probably lives a complicated life, don't we all!

This actor, Ralf Little should probably keep his opinions to himself.

Tweeting / facebook / internet media, probably getting out of control. One cannot stop it though! Journalists have long been out of control, lost control well before the internet!

Alcoholism and depression probably completely separate problems.

Modern day society largely out of control.

Good luck to Clarke Carlisle. I intend to get a copy of his autobiography and post again after I have read it.

It must be very difficult for footballers to adjust to life after soccer. Could one imagine George Best as a football manager! Now that would of been interesting!

It is all a very complicated issue.
Interesting to discuss some of the issues on AVFTT with Pool fans.
I don't think there are any real answers, just subjective opinion.

Blimey, it's a pretty disturbing story though.
The Ched Evans story is a pretty disturbing story too.
Both these stories are not going to go away. Dormant they might lie, but they are going to resurface.

Good luck to both these people. Difficult.
No wonder people hit the bottle!
Clarke Carlisle and actor Ralf Little on 18:57 - Feb 8 with 2897 viewsfleetwoodbry

Osbourne, the thing is that alcoholism and depression are not neccessarily seperate problems, they can be problems that lead to one another, and therein lies a very very serious problem for the sufferer. Clarke Carlisle has
apologised for what he did years ago to Ralf Little but it seems it's Little that wants to keep it in the spotlight, make of that what you will
Clarke Carlisle and actor Ralf Little on 20:18 - Feb 8 with 2883 viewsOsbourne

Clarke Carlisle and actor Ralf Little on 18:57 - Feb 8 by fleetwoodbry

Osbourne, the thing is that alcoholism and depression are not neccessarily seperate problems, they can be problems that lead to one another, and therein lies a very very serious problem for the sufferer. Clarke Carlisle has
apologised for what he did years ago to Ralf Little but it seems it's Little that wants to keep it in the spotlight, make of that what you will

fleetwoodbry,

Yes, Ralf Little is "grinding an axe."

I am going to read Clarke Carlisle's autobiography.

I am no authority on Alcoholism or depression. I'm prepared to say that they are both a product of living in a modern day society, whatever that might mean!

I found the Ched Evans story very disturbing. This Clarke Carlisle story is probably even more disturbing.
Clarke Carlisle and actor Ralf Little on 22:17 - Feb 9 with 2806 viewsfleetwoodbry

Clarke Carlisle and actor Ralf Little on 20:18 - Feb 8 by Osbourne

fleetwoodbry,

Yes, Ralf Little is "grinding an axe."

I am going to read Clarke Carlisle's autobiography.

I am no authority on Alcoholism or depression. I'm prepared to say that they are both a product of living in a modern day society, whatever that might mean!

I found the Ched Evans story very disturbing. This Clarke Carlisle story is probably even more disturbing.

Anything that makes a person just want to walk in front of a lorry is obviously very disturbing indeed
Clarke Carlisle and actor Ralf Little on 22:33 - Feb 9 with 2794 viewsstraightatthewall

Clarke Carlisle and actor Ralf Little on 22:17 - Feb 9 by fleetwoodbry

Anything that makes a person just want to walk in front of a lorry is obviously very disturbing indeed

A fundamental part of the '12 step programme' is apologising to those you have wronged in the past, once you have truly become sober.

One might think that an apology followed by continued episodes brought on by being drunk is not quite what it was supposed to be.

I DO sympathise with clark carlisle. Anyone who's had the black dog hang over them knows how relentlessly gruelling and downright nasty it can truly be. Anyone who's thought those dark thoughts knows that it's a place where yoy sometimes never feel like you'll escape from.

BUT

Part of the escape is accepting what role you are playing in the situation. Sometimes it's those telling you straight and true that are the real heroes. They are the ones taking the true risk of being despised in order to make you better.

Clarke Carlisle and actor Ralf Little on 22:44 - Feb 9 with 2784 viewsPNENIL

Clarke Carlisle and actor Ralf Little on 22:33 - Feb 9 by straightatthewall

A fundamental part of the '12 step programme' is apologising to those you have wronged in the past, once you have truly become sober.

One might think that an apology followed by continued episodes brought on by being drunk is not quite what it was supposed to be.

I DO sympathise with clark carlisle. Anyone who's had the black dog hang over them knows how relentlessly gruelling and downright nasty it can truly be. Anyone who's thought those dark thoughts knows that it's a place where yoy sometimes never feel like you'll escape from.

BUT

Part of the escape is accepting what role you are playing in the situation. Sometimes it's those telling you straight and true that are the real heroes. They are the ones taking the true risk of being despised in order to make you better.

Didn't Carlisle and his wife sell their story to the sun last week?
Maybe a good start would be donating their fee to a relevant charity or even throw some the way of the poor driver who's truck he threw himself on.
Profiting from misery, even if its your own, is never good.
Clarke Carlisle and actor Ralf Little on 08:35 - Feb 10 with 2741 viewsOsbourne

Clarke Carlisle and actor Ralf Little on 22:44 - Feb 9 by PNENIL

Didn't Carlisle and his wife sell their story to the sun last week?
Maybe a good start would be donating their fee to a relevant charity or even throw some the way of the poor driver who's truck he threw himself on.
Profiting from misery, even if its your own, is never good.

Hopefully my copy of Clarke Carlisle's autobiography is in the post. I ordered it about a week ago.

Have any other AVFTT posters read it?

Will it give the reader any further understanding of recent events?
Clarke Carlisle and actor Ralf Little on 12:09 - Feb 11 with 2666 viewsBlade01

Clarke Carlisle and actor Ralf Little on 08:35 - Feb 10 by Osbourne

Hopefully my copy of Clarke Carlisle's autobiography is in the post. I ordered it about a week ago.

Have any other AVFTT posters read it?

Will it give the reader any further understanding of recent events?

I am a sufferer, but no expert. I can only speak and advise from my own perspective.

For the record I have never driven after I have had a drink, and anyone who does should be as answerable to the law as anyone else.

When it's really bad, I have had a couple to "take the edge off" but never to what many people would call excess.

It's interesting to read here that some think it's a result of modern society, in part I'd agree. The atmosphere where I work is pretty toxic most of the time and acts as fuel for the fire of how I feel. It's really not as easy as "getting another job". The condition has made me mentally and physically lethargic. I have also come to the point where going out anywhere can cause anxiety.

It is a difficult thing to explain, even to myself, and I cannot think of any one event that triggered it. There have been times when taking "that" step has crossed my mind, but I guess I'm in enough control to realise how selfish that would be, and how much it would hurt the people who care for me.

The autobiographies of Robert Enke and Marcus Trescothick give insight into how the condition effects sportsmen. I have Clarke's book but have not read it yet.

It's not the despair, it's the hope I can't stand!

Clarke Carlisle and actor Ralf Little on 18:55 - Feb 14 with 2570 viewsskihatarmy

Clarke Carlisle and actor Ralf Little on 12:09 - Feb 11 by Blade01

I am a sufferer, but no expert. I can only speak and advise from my own perspective.

For the record I have never driven after I have had a drink, and anyone who does should be as answerable to the law as anyone else.

When it's really bad, I have had a couple to "take the edge off" but never to what many people would call excess.

It's interesting to read here that some think it's a result of modern society, in part I'd agree. The atmosphere where I work is pretty toxic most of the time and acts as fuel for the fire of how I feel. It's really not as easy as "getting another job". The condition has made me mentally and physically lethargic. I have also come to the point where going out anywhere can cause anxiety.

It is a difficult thing to explain, even to myself, and I cannot think of any one event that triggered it. There have been times when taking "that" step has crossed my mind, but I guess I'm in enough control to realise how selfish that would be, and how much it would hurt the people who care for me.

The autobiographies of Robert Enke and Marcus Trescothick give insight into how the condition effects sportsmen. I have Clarke's book but have not read it yet.

Grow a pair Clarke you soft get what about the lorry driver you worked out in front of i bet hes sleeping well
Clarke Carlisle and actor Ralf Little on 04:57 - Feb 15 with 2541 viewsWhitehorse

Clarke Carlisle and actor Ralf Little on 18:55 - Feb 14 by skihatarmy

Grow a pair Clarke you soft get what about the lorry driver you worked out in front of i bet hes sleeping well

As the mum of someone who is suffering from depression and has seen what it can do, I find your comment extremely offensive and ignorant, skihatarmy.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024