Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
just got back (no, not really) 11:12 - Feb 1 with 1509 viewsbasilrobbiereborn

When I saw the weather forecast for the Fylde Coast on Wednesday I think I knew in my heart what sort of game we were going to get (pitch notwithstanding). And so it proved.

First of all, Brighton. If we weren't in such exquisitely public turmoil, the demise of Wigan and BHA this season would have been the real story of the Championship. They look poor to me, and I was mildy surprised to see they'd won three away games on the spin before yesterday. Apart from one header, I don't recall them seriously threatening our goal all afternoon, and the fact that we have taken four points off them tells its own story. They are fourth bottom because they deserve to be.

I thought we were better - not by all that much, but certainly enough to deserve all three points. In the first half we probed without really looking like scoring, but were a bit brighter after the break, with Telford harrying from the front to good effect. That said, the goal was completely out of keeping with the rest of the match and probably owed something to the wind. It wasn't exactly coming, but we deserved it for showing some enterprise and you sensed immediately that it would be enough.

I thought a number of players stood out. McMahon was steady in the main but tends to let himself down with big errors ; Cameron looked peripheral all afternoon. On the plus side, O'Hara is a decent player, Telford looks like a prospect, Dunne also stood out and tried to get forward whenever he could. But my MotM was O'Dea, who was very steady, and practically error free all afternoon.

I think we have far too much to do to get out of this, but looking at the table, 34 points gets you in the top half at the moment and at least one or two of those sides will come back to the bottom five, you feel. We just need to keep plugging away and see what happens.

Coming back home, I came across a very rare form of vermin - namely, travelling MK Dons fans who had been at Crewe. They were a charming bunch (well, eight of them) ; the guard had to turf them out of first class, and the minute his back was turned they went back and nicked as much bottled water as they could carry. Still, when you've stolen a football club, I suppose petty theft comes easy.

Icon? It's all Rio Ferdinand's fault.
Blog: pause for breath

just got back (no, not really) on 12:44 - Feb 1 with 1436 viewscamberwell1

Thanks Robbie
A Murray (Loser again)
just got back (no, not really) on 12:54 - Feb 1 with 1432 viewsfamousgrouse

The weather, pitch and two poor teams combined to make it a poor spectacle but a win is a win no matter how bad at this stage of the season.

I agree that O'Dea had a good game often covering for mistakes by others and looking comfortable most of the game. McMahon is a liability sometimes - poor anticipation and a glaring loss of possession exposed us on a couple of occasions in the first half. O'Hara's involvement throughout the game kept us going and I always felt we could nick a goal and hold on for a change, as Brighton had offered very little in attack. Of the "youth" payers, it was good to see them back in contention, I agree that Cameron was off the pace and Telford tried hard but those two need time to grow and mature with experience before they represent an answer to our team strengths. Waddington for the time he was on showed up well and he is a much bigger person and could become more important to us much sooner than the other two.
just got back (no, not really) on 12:56 - Feb 1 with 1429 viewsBigHandsOliverKahn

I was surprised how poor Brighton looked but it's hard to judge players' skill levels on such a pitch.

We know things haven't been done right at our place but it does highlight the wider dilema in football seeing Wigan and Brighton looking like relegation candidates. Both have had way in excess of £150 million poured into them in recent seasons... Wigan even more than that from their previous Premier League seasons... but even that hasn't stopped the rot.
just got back (no, not really) on 13:27 - Feb 1 with 1405 views1953Original

just got back (no, not really) on 12:56 - Feb 1 by BigHandsOliverKahn

I was surprised how poor Brighton looked but it's hard to judge players' skill levels on such a pitch.

We know things haven't been done right at our place but it does highlight the wider dilema in football seeing Wigan and Brighton looking like relegation candidates. Both have had way in excess of £150 million poured into them in recent seasons... Wigan even more than that from their previous Premier League seasons... but even that hasn't stopped the rot.

Thought Cameron did OK actually and provided something different. Agree about McMahon - he is the biggest liability at the club and his regular presence is always of concern - I'd say the same about Dunne but he did marginally better. Credit to Parrish as well - although he badly needs to start looking at his goal kicks (although admit the wind played a factor).

Poll: League One Play Off Winners?

just got back (no, not really) on 13:27 - Feb 1 with 1405 views20togo

just got back (no, not really) on 12:56 - Feb 1 by BigHandsOliverKahn

I think you are being way too kind to Brighton if you think they deserve to be fourth bottom. On that performance they are every bit as bad as us. So in my view they too should be cut adrift at the bottom of the league. Very poor team.
just got back (no, not really) on 13:31 - Feb 1 with 1400 viewsoneswallow

just got back (no, not really) on 13:27 - Feb 1 by 20togo

I think you are being way too kind to Brighton if you think they deserve to be fourth bottom. On that performance they are every bit as bad as us. So in my view they too should be cut adrift at the bottom of the league. Very poor team.

Interesting Bas says they won their last three away on the spin - goes to show what a poor league this is and why we shouldn't be writing off games at Bolton, Blackburn and dare I say even Norwich!
just got back (no, not really) on 13:50 - Feb 1 with 1387 viewswe_are_Superior

Whilst I'd agree that Dunne had a better game his 'air kick' in the second half for me sums him up as a player!

Poll: Would Richie Kyle make a good manager?

just got back (no, not really) on 13:53 - Feb 1 with 1375 viewsAVFTTConvert

I think we have far too much to do to get out of this, but looking at the table, 34 points gets you in the top half at the moment and at least one or two of those sides will come back to the bottom five, you feel.

Sadly most of the teams out of form at the moment seem to have done enough not to get dragged in to it

1 Derby County 6 5 0 1 5 0 12 2 +10 15 2.50
2 Middlesbrough 6 4 2 0 5 2 8 1 +7 14 2.33
3 Wolverhampton Wndrs 6 4 2 0 4 1 8 3 +5 14 2.33
4 Bournemouth 6 4 0 2 4 1 9 3 +6 12 2.00
5 Norwich City 6 3 1 2 1 1 13 8 +5 10 1.67
6 Ipswich Town 6 3 1 2 2 2 12 7 +5 10 1.67
7 Brighton and Hove A 6 3 1 2 2 2 8 6 +2 10 1.67
8 Huddersfield Town 6 3 1 2 1 1 9 8 +1 10 1.67
9 Sheffield Wednesday 6 3 1 2 4 2 5 4 +1 10 1.67
10 Watford 6 3 0 3 1 2 17 10 +7 9 1.50
11 Reading 6 2 3 1 3 2 7 5 +2 9 1.50
12 Birmingham City 6 2 3 1 2 3 7 7 0 9 1.50
13 Brentford 6 3 0 3 2 1 7 8 -1 9 1.50
14 Bolton Wanderers 6 2 2 2 0 0 10 11 -1 8 1.33
15 Leeds United 6 2 2 2 1 2 5 7 -2 8 1.33
16 Blackpool 6 2 1 3 2 2 5 11 -6 7 1.17
17 Rotherham United 6 1 3 2 0 2 8 9 -1 6 1.00
18 Fulham 6 2 0 4 0 3 6 10 -4 6 1.00
19 Wigan Athletic 6 1 2 3 2 3 4 6 -2 5 0.83
20 Blackburn Rovers 6 1 2 3 1 3 4 7 -3 5 0.83
21 Cardiff City 6 1 1 4 1 1 7 12 -5 4 0.67
22 Millwall 6 1 1 4 2 3 3 12 -9 4 0.67
23 Nottingham Forest 6 1 0 5 0 3 5 13 -8 3 0.50
24 Charlton Athletic 6 0 3 3 1 4 2 11 -9 3 0.50

Poll: Worst 'Regular' First Teamer at the moment?

Login to get fewer ads

just got back (no, not really) on 14:52 - Feb 1 with 1325 viewsPlumbs

MKD fans hadn't stolen a football club-it was lost by careless hands elsewhere and who still haven't managed to find a ground within their community.

That post will get you bonus points on the nerds board though Robbie (rolls eyes)

Real fans go to pubs like the HITW or the Welly

just got back (no, not really) on 14:55 - Feb 1 with 1323 viewsbasilrobbiereborn

just got back (no, not really) on 14:52 - Feb 1 by Plumbs

MKD fans hadn't stolen a football club-it was lost by careless hands elsewhere and who still haven't managed to find a ground within their community.

That post will get you bonus points on the nerds board though Robbie (rolls eyes)

OK, clock stopped at 3 hours 40 minutes - did anyone have that in the sweep?

Icon? It's all Rio Ferdinand's fault.
Blog: pause for breath

just got back (no, not really) on 18:47 - Feb 1 with 1206 viewsjanegallagher

just got back (no, not really) on 13:50 - Feb 1 by we_are_Superior

Whilst I'd agree that Dunne had a better game his 'air kick' in the second half for me sums him up as a player!

He's improving every game, thought yesterday was his best so far. He's got natural pace and strength, won some important headers after a succession of Brighton corners. Definitely one for the future.

We’ve got Simon Sadler

just got back (no, not really) on 18:53 - Feb 1 with 1202 viewsWizaard

just got back (no, not really) on 18:47 - Feb 1 by janegallagher

He's improving every game, thought yesterday was his best so far. He's got natural pace and strength, won some important headers after a succession of Brighton corners. Definitely one for the future.

Dunne is the kind of player we need to be developing as he has all the attributes and showed most of them yesterday.

In a normal club, you'd want to be taking him, the Sunderland lads, and even Aldred, all young, enthusiiastic and willing to learn, bringing them through gradually.

We're not normal though and they have to run before they can walk and learn from mistakes made in the full glare of Championship football.
just got back (no, not really) on 12:07 - Feb 2 with 1075 viewsterminallytangerine

just got back (no, not really) on 18:53 - Feb 1 by Wizaard

Dunne is the kind of player we need to be developing as he has all the attributes and showed most of them yesterday.

In a normal club, you'd want to be taking him, the Sunderland lads, and even Aldred, all young, enthusiiastic and willing to learn, bringing them through gradually.

We're not normal though and they have to run before they can walk and learn from mistakes made in the full glare of Championship football.

It was good to see the young lads. I thought all three did well but Waddington does have a monopoly on height and strength.

Would that we could sign all three up and start to build for the future. It would make the pill of relegation a little easier to swallow.

Surprised about Brighton though. As a club they've always struck me as the sort of club we should be: family orientated, welcoming to away supporters as well as their own, willing to invest, managerial appointment showing long term planning, etc.

Strange to see Mikael-Smith (sorry for the spelling Michel/Michael/Mickhale, can't be bothered to look it up) a bench player and a pretty ineffective one at that.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024