Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A very hard game to summarise 00:41 - Dec 7 with 1907 viewsbasilrobbiereborn

I think the first, over-riding emotion is one of relief. We needed a win desperately, and finally we have one. I suggested on Friday it wouldn't be pretty - and it wasn't. At the moment, I can't say I care too much.

I thought the first half was a shapeless mess really, but the one side trying to establish some order was us. Davies led the line well and showed some pretty neat touches, but we didn't create a lot and their direct style caused one or two flutters. 0-0 at the break was about right.

Goals change matches, and that was true today. It was just a route one move and poorly defended by them, but Davies once again demonstrated that if you keep going and don't give up a lost cause sometimes you get a break. He deserved it, and had he stayed on a bit longer would probably have been my MotM.

After we scored, I thought we played with some composure and some enterprise, and had our decision making in the final third been better - and had we been a little less elaborate - I'm sure we could have scored more. That said, for every good thing we did we matched it with something bad. At times the players looked like strangers (and some of them are), and some of the passing was very wayward at times. But we still looked far better than Birmingham, who are perhaps the worst Championship side I've seen since we came up in 2007. Their huge support deserved much better than that.

It wouldn't be us if it wasn't a little bit nervy at the end, when we dropped off a bit too deep. But we didn't allow them any clear cut chances and my MotM is a collective one for the whole back four, who won everything, blocked everything and played like a unit today.

It's been a good day results wise and having made it three without defeat we have a modest platform to build upon. Next week is already looking like a big deal for us.

Icon? It's all Rio Ferdinand's fault.
Blog: pause for breath

A very hard game to summarise on 01:02 - Dec 7 with 1888 viewsOverWired

I can't really argue with any of that and the 1st half was dire. Yes, goals change matches and if it hadn't been for Davies it may have ended in a rather boring 0-0, however we seemed to press more for quite a period after it went in.
The last 10 minutes or so showed a good fighting spirit to hang on in there which we've not experienced for ages. I've got to give O'Hara MOTM for holding things together.
I'm not convinced it's going to alter our situation as it's all change again in January.
A very hard game to summarise on 01:14 - Dec 7 with 1883 viewsWizaard

A very hard game to summarise on 01:02 - Dec 7 by OverWired

I can't really argue with any of that and the 1st half was dire. Yes, goals change matches and if it hadn't been for Davies it may have ended in a rather boring 0-0, however we seemed to press more for quite a period after it went in.
The last 10 minutes or so showed a good fighting spirit to hang on in there which we've not experienced for ages. I've got to give O'Hara MOTM for holding things together.
I'm not convinced it's going to alter our situation as it's all change again in January.

Surely the stability such as it is will mean the short deals will be extended to at least summer?

It's our best chance to get some consistency and results.

I thought the first half wasn't pretty but it was still better than the Rotherham game.

A case of the result being all important. Another three points next week would really get us back into hope.
A very hard game to summarise on 06:11 - Dec 7 with 1848 viewsOdinsRaven

A very hard game to summarise on 01:14 - Dec 7 by Wizaard

Surely the stability such as it is will mean the short deals will be extended to at least summer?

I thought the first half wasn't pretty but it was still better than the Rotherham game.

A case of the result being all important. Another three points next week would really get us back into hope.

Listened on Radio Wave and agree with the OP. Radio Wave said towards the end of the first half this is going to be won by a single goal and they were correct. Lots of talk about whether we should stick or twist and just go for it. As it happens sticking worked on this occasion but they did point out we played like an away side so will be interesting to see how the next few games go. Let's not get carried away I would suggest...

One thing they did say was Eagles doesn't look on the pace and Murphy had a poor game?
A very hard game to summarise on 09:47 - Dec 7 with 1778 viewsfamousgrouse

A very hard game to summarise on 06:11 - Dec 7 by OdinsRaven

Listened on Radio Wave and agree with the OP. Radio Wave said towards the end of the first half this is going to be won by a single goal and they were correct. Lots of talk about whether we should stick or twist and just go for it. As it happens sticking worked on this occasion but they did point out we played like an away side so will be interesting to see how the next few games go. Let's not get carried away I would suggest...

One thing they did say was Eagles doesn't look on the pace and Murphy had a poor game?

Basil's report is spot on. There were several better performances but equally some players were still found lacking in skill and confidence. I agree with OR about Eagles who has the skills to excel but just can't get into the game and despite good pace and the surprise element in Murphy's game his decision-making was a little immature. That will improve with experience and confidence and he is definitely one for the future. The midfield looks stronger with O'Hara, my MoM, and the two centre-backs were typical no-nonsense type performances.
Small steps, one defeat in five, but remember where we are coming from and not get too carried away.
A very hard game to summarise on 12:18 - Dec 7 with 1717 viewsSirHarryThomson

A very hard game to summarise on 09:47 - Dec 7 by famousgrouse

Basil's report is spot on. There were several better performances but equally some players were still found lacking in skill and confidence. I agree with OR about Eagles who has the skills to excel but just can't get into the game and despite good pace and the surprise element in Murphy's game his decision-making was a little immature. That will improve with experience and confidence and he is definitely one for the future. The midfield looks stronger with O'Hara, my MoM, and the two centre-backs were typical no-nonsense type performances.
Small steps, one defeat in five, but remember where we are coming from and not get too carried away.

Oh no I agree with Bazbob. When you look at our defence - full backs and keeper on loan and 2 elderly free signings as centre backs they coped well. Although Kennedy got caught out a couple of times I thought he was good on the ball and passed it ok. Eagle's first touch was terrible. Think Clark has set us up as hard to beat given our limited resources (Koko's policy) thought we looked a little better yesterday overall.
A very hard game to summarise on 00:24 - Dec 8 with 1598 viewsOverWired

A very hard game to summarise on 01:14 - Dec 7 by Wizaard

Wizaard
Why do you think that short deals will be extended as there has never been any stability for a few years now ? Season after season we go though the same scenario with signing players late, signing loan players and then signing players out of contract after the season has started. Do you really think that it's all going to get better in January?
Our chairman keeps reiterating his mantra and that's that he will not change his business module.
I'm going for O'Hara going in January on a better contract away from us now he's proving himself and if we're almost relegated why waste money on the others which in a perverse way I agree with. . What say you?
A very hard game to summarise on 11:50 - Dec 8 with 1533 viewsbasilrobbiereborn

One thing I forgot to mention in the OP was Murphy's performance. I said to my neighbour at h/t that he needed a kick up the arse, as he just wasn't contributing anything. It seemed to me that someone must have spoken to him during the interval because he was far better in the second half. If he learns to get his head up and pick a pass when he's in the final third he will be a very decent player.

A very hard game to summarise on 12:39 - Dec 8 with 1505 viewsSeasidepete

We were set up as "hard to beat" and it worked. Midfield and defence linked well and broke down much of the Birmingham possession. The problem was keeping the ball once we had it. Too many simple passes were hit and hope and a bit panicky at times.
Perkins was my MOM and he got us out of trouble more than once. I'm glad the Fonz is playing back on the wing where he is most effective.
The back four have clearly been training hard and for once worked as a unit.
Important result this one because I think Birmingham will be scrapping at the bottom, like us, at the end of the season.
Login to get fewer ads

A very hard game to summarise on 12:54 - Dec 8 with 1496 viewstangersteve

A very hard game to summarise on 12:39 - Dec 8 by Seasidepete

We were set up as "hard to beat" and it worked. Midfield and defence linked well and broke down much of the Birmingham possession. The problem was keeping the ball once we had it. Too many simple passes were hit and hope and a bit panicky at times.
Perkins was my MOM and he got us out of trouble more than once. I'm glad the Fonz is playing back on the wing where he is most effective.
The back four have clearly been training hard and for once worked as a unit.
Important result this one because I think Birmingham will be scrapping at the bottom, like us, at the end of the season.

We are quite strong in midfield now thanks largely to O'Hara, he's a tough and creative player. This takes a lot of pressure off the back four especially with Perkins chasing down attackers.
We need this since Clarke is a liability, he's constantly out of position and doesn't communicate well with other defenders. He makes a big show of things when there's a last ditch tackle to be made but when organisation is needed when we're under pressure he looks lost.
Eagles was superb on saturday, still not fully match fit but he was a constant threat.
It would be fantastic if Davies turned out to be a good player but he's had extraordinary luck with the two goals and although he's a better option than Fonz he's yet to prove he's up to this level.
The big issue for me now is how good are we? We're looking as though we are as good as the teams in the bottom half of the table, Clark has turned around to that extent. We could gradually gain on the pack but it could be slow going
No doubt about it if we'd had someone like Clark from the start of the season then we'd at least be in with the rest of them by now.
But that's all ancient history...
A very hard game to summarise on 13:39 - Dec 8 with 1472 viewsstraightatthewall

A very hard game to summarise on 12:54 - Dec 8 by tangersteve

We are quite strong in midfield now thanks largely to O'Hara, he's a tough and creative player. This takes a lot of pressure off the back four especially with Perkins chasing down attackers.
We need this since Clarke is a liability, he's constantly out of position and doesn't communicate well with other defenders. He makes a big show of things when there's a last ditch tackle to be made but when organisation is needed when we're under pressure he looks lost.
Eagles was superb on saturday, still not fully match fit but he was a constant threat.
It would be fantastic if Davies turned out to be a good player but he's had extraordinary luck with the two goals and although he's a better option than Fonz he's yet to prove he's up to this level.
The big issue for me now is how good are we? We're looking as though we are as good as the teams in the bottom half of the table, Clark has turned around to that extent. We could gradually gain on the pack but it could be slow going
No doubt about it if we'd had someone like Clark from the start of the season then we'd at least be in with the rest of them by now.
But that's all ancient history...

Or if Riga had been given access to some of the players Clark got immediately.......That's less ancient history because it will raise its head sooner later.

In all honesty, we're still a long way from safety and the recent points/unbeaten run has come against some poor teams. Let's see how we do over the next 4 games. I reckon we need to get 5 points or more. If we do, it will set us up nicely for the Millwall game Jan 10th. Win that and things will look very interesting. The problem then will be the man in charge, which brings me back to where I started from.....

Looking forward to Saturday now. As Orlandi says in his column, wins on the bounce are REALLY what we need. Can it be a Happy Valley?

We got Bogdanovic, Oyston got very rich

A very hard game to summarise on 14:49 - Dec 8 with 1448 viewsseasider13

I watched the game on a live stream and was impressed with Perkins. For a short guy he won his fair share of headers against Birmingham.

Ive read on here a few times people saying he runs around like a headless chicken, but for me, going on the brumie game, i thought he was very productive.

MOTM for me.

No man is rich enough to buy back his past.

A very hard game to summarise on 15:16 - Dec 8 with 1439 viewsOdinsRaven

A very hard game to summarise on 14:49 - Dec 8 by seasider13

I watched the game on a live stream and was impressed with Perkins. For a short guy he won his fair share of headers against Birmingham.

Ive read on here a few times people saying he runs around like a headless chicken, but for me, going on the brumie game, i thought he was very productive.

MOTM for me.

Radio wave said the same about Perkins 13

They were laughing at how he was outjumping all their big players to win the headers. Maybe he had springs on
A very hard game to summarise on 16:47 - Dec 8 with 1401 viewsSeasidepete

A very hard game to summarise on 15:16 - Dec 8 by OdinsRaven

They were laughing at how he was outjumping all their big players to win the headers. Maybe he had springs on

Maybe he could lend them to Miller
A very hard game to summarise on 17:25 - Dec 8 with 1387 viewsstraightatthewall

A very hard game to summarise on 15:16 - Dec 8 by OdinsRaven

I don't think anyone has ever had cause to criticise Perkins commitment, the guy has a brilliant work ethic. It's more about his ability to turn that effort into something more proactive. If he can play alongside 2 good passers of the ball - a fit O'Hara and A.N. Other (I'd say Cubero, but frankly, I'd be amazed if he plays for us again) - then Perkins would be a good guy to have around. Without that additional quality, his limitations do get shown up sadly.

We got Bogdanovic, Oyston got very rich

A very hard game to summarise on 20:13 - Dec 8 with 1339 viewsPlumbs

A very hard game to summarise on 17:25 - Dec 8 by straightatthewall

I don't think anyone has ever had cause to criticise Perkins commitment, the guy has a brilliant work ethic. It's more about his ability to turn that effort into something more proactive. If he can play alongside 2 good passers of the ball - a fit O'Hara and A.N. Other (I'd say Cubero, but frankly, I'd be amazed if he plays for us again) - then Perkins would be a good guy to have around. Without that additional quality, his limitations do get shown up sadly.

Barnsley fans were pretty clear on what they tbought of Perkins, but everytime I've seen him play in his preferred role he's seemed fine.
A question of confidence maybe?

Real fans go to pubs like the HITW or the Welly

A very hard game to summarise on 21:14 - Dec 8 with 1321 viewsbasilrobbiereborn

A very hard game to summarise on 20:13 - Dec 8 by Plumbs

Barnsley fans were pretty clear on what they tbought of Perkins, but everytime I've seen him play in his preferred role he's seemed fine.
A question of confidence maybe?

Plumms, I had your lot to lose 3-1 last weekend ; do you think you could have a word and make the work shy useless bastards try a bit harder?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024