Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Orange wine 20:55 - Jul 30 with 4369 viewscolinallcars

There's been lots of talk on social media (Yeah, I know), about orange wine.
I saw a bottle in Waitrose, special intro price so I bought it.
I'm on beer tonight so will sample it tomorrow night.
Anyone tried it ?
Will I be stricken or be puking ?
Orange wine on 13:13 - Jul 31 with 1319 viewsrobith

Orange wine on 13:03 - Jul 31 by NewBee

Many years ago I was on holiday in Morocco. Wasn't a wine drinker back then, but one evening when a few of us were having a party on the beach, and we'd run out of everything else, we started on the local Moroccan
Red (wine, not hash).

It was awful, so bad that eventually someone added some orange juice to it: a big improvement!

I went to a wine cave in Lebanon that dated back to Roman times. The tasting stuff was absolute filth, our guide confided in us afterwards that all the good stuff is exported as most people drank beer or spirits there
Orange wine on 13:15 - Jul 31 with 1308 viewsrobith

Highly reccomend this bad boy

really clean tasting, sparkling so refreshing, comes in a litre
Orange wine on 13:59 - Jul 31 with 1231 viewsNewBee

Orange wine on 13:15 - Jul 31 by robith

Check out the bottle top!

With that and the litre bottle, I imagined it might be cheap, but no, £20+ a bottle.
Orange wine on 14:34 - Jul 31 with 1199 viewsHAYESBOY

Thought this was another Trump thread about one of his speeches by the title.

Smells like a trout farm in here

Orange wine on 15:00 - Jul 31 with 1142 viewsdmm

Orange wine on 13:03 - Jul 31 by NewBee

Many years ago I was on holiday in Morocco. Wasn't a wine drinker back then, but one evening when a few of us were having a party on the beach, and we'd run out of everything else, we started on the local Moroccan
Red (wine, not hash).

It was awful, so bad that eventually someone added some orange juice to it: a big improvement!

That's basically Sangria.
Orange wine on 15:22 - Jul 31 with 1114 viewsHantsR

Orange wine on 13:06 - Jul 31 by NewBee

Yes, it's quite distinctive, often very dry with a slight yeasty(?) taste. If you like dry sherry, you'll probably like vin jaune, but if not...

(Should add that I don't know that particular label, just had some general local stuff on holiday in the region)
[Post edited 31 Jul 13:09]

Many thanks Newbee. It doesn't sound as though I'll like it that much but I'll give it a go, as it was a cadeaux from French friends.
Orange wine on 15:22 - Jul 31 with 1114 viewsBoston

For the full product enjoyment, I presume we drink through a straw?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Orange wine on 15:33 - Jul 31 with 1106 viewskensalriser

Orange wine on 13:15 - Jul 31 by robith

Clear glass is a bad sign, there's a reason tinted glass is almost completely ubiquitous for wine and beer.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Login to get fewer ads

Orange wine on 22:34 - Aug 1 with 931 views222gers

Very corny wine joke in the Times today.
Dolly Parton has started a company making hillbilly wine.
Should be good, it says Appalachian Controlee on the label.
Orange wine on 22:39 - Aug 1 with 925 viewsBoston

Oranges whine when the 'man from Del Monte, he say no'.

Orange wine on 23:00 - Aug 1 with 899 viewsdavman

Thatchers Blood Orange CIDER is fantastic for anyone with a ridiculously sweet tooth like me.

No idea about orange wine, but am not a big wino.

Ziiiidddeeer is so much more cultured...

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Orange wine on 00:47 - Aug 2 with 857 viewsFredManRave

Orange wine on 23:25 - Jul 30 by HantsR

Interesting and informative thread. I was given some Vin Jaune ( yellow wine) from Caves de Muyre that I haven't opened yet. Anyone tried this?

If it tastes anything like yellow snow then I'd stay well away from it.

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Orange wine on 01:53 - Aug 2 with 830 viewsBoston

Orange wine on 00:47 - Aug 2 by FredManRave

If it tastes anything like yellow snow then I'd stay well away from it.

Pairs well with Lemon Curd...so the next door neighbours dog tells me.

Orange wine on 03:52 - Aug 2 with 809 viewsvanrrrr

Orange wine on 23:25 - Jul 30 by HantsR

Interesting and informative thread. I was given some Vin Jaune ( yellow wine) from Caves de Muyre that I haven't opened yet. Anyone tried this?

Finally a thread i know something about as a Sommelier ( sounds a bit Fulham!)

This is one of the great wines of Jura and a unique wine. It is a little like a fino sherry as it is fermented under a thin film of yeast so you get a dry wine with a full mouthfeel and an often nutty finish. A unique drop.. also great to cook with if you like that kind of thing

It is Not really an orange wine - think of those as white wines made like a red where the grapes are left in contact with their skins for days, weeks or even months- dead trendy these days and some exceptional wines . Salut!
Orange wine on 08:15 - Aug 2 with 712 viewsHantsR

Orange wine on 03:52 - Aug 2 by vanrrrr

Finally a thread i know something about as a Sommelier ( sounds a bit Fulham!)

This is one of the great wines of Jura and a unique wine. It is a little like a fino sherry as it is fermented under a thin film of yeast so you get a dry wine with a full mouthfeel and an often nutty finish. A unique drop.. also great to cook with if you like that kind of thing

It is Not really an orange wine - think of those as white wines made like a red where the grapes are left in contact with their skins for days, weeks or even months- dead trendy these days and some exceptional wines . Salut!

Very many thanks for that. I'm looking forward to opening it now.
Orange wine on 09:08 - Aug 2 with 666 viewsTW_R

Orange wine on 08:33 - Jul 31 by Konk

I was going to do that, but then thought I'd get my wine broker, Johann, to post something on the subject. I think he provided an excellent overview of orange wine, but do let us know if you have any questions. And please remember, you don't have to spend a fortune on wine to get something very drinkable; there are some very nice bottles available around the £200-225 mark these days.

Cheapskate!
Orange wine on 11:27 - Aug 2 with 577 viewsPlanetHonneywood

These days living as I do in the Languedoc, I'm lucky to be in an area where there's good stuff for great value and I love popping into vineyards and just watching and listening.

Seeing as we have some proper experts here in J28 and VanR, a few things I have I picked up since returning here, which would be interesting to hear their thoughts on.

Firstly, the Chinese are buying estates up wholesale, leading to future concerns over control and pricing. Secondly, global warming is making it harder to make lower alcohol wines due to the sugar content in the grapes being higher, leading to some vineyards converting to growing olive trees because of climate change.

Plus, what do you boys say on English wine? Popped into a few places in Kent and while not big on white wine, thought they were good.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Orange wine on 12:59 - Aug 2 with 479 viewsvanrrrr

Orange wine on 11:27 - Aug 2 by PlanetHonneywood

These days living as I do in the Languedoc, I'm lucky to be in an area where there's good stuff for great value and I love popping into vineyards and just watching and listening.

Seeing as we have some proper experts here in J28 and VanR, a few things I have I picked up since returning here, which would be interesting to hear their thoughts on.

Firstly, the Chinese are buying estates up wholesale, leading to future concerns over control and pricing. Secondly, global warming is making it harder to make lower alcohol wines due to the sugar content in the grapes being higher, leading to some vineyards converting to growing olive trees because of climate change.

Plus, what do you boys say on English wine? Popped into a few places in Kent and while not big on white wine, thought they were good.

I am very envious of anyone living in that part of the world! - great wine drinking and value

Climate change is having a huge impact on regions and producers and driving change. Bordeaux is a great example, allowing new varietals that are later ripening into their blends to counteract the alcohol rise in merlot.- New varietals and root stock , charges in growing methods with greater biodiversity on vineyards for shade, and cooler exposures all to mitigate effects but it will be an ongoing challenge and producers/AOPs need to move quicker to adapt.

Conversely England is one of the regions that benefits from climate change with conditions now replicating the Champagne region and French producers like Tattinger and Pommery investing big in Kent and Sussex. At the moment it is a sparkling dominated market ( about 70%) and some excellent wines. Still wine can still be a bit variable but that will change and over the next few years I think you will get some really interesting chardonnay and pinot noir being made ..Kent the new Burgundy!? Cheers
Orange wine on 17:53 - Aug 2 with 361 viewsR_from_afar

I haven't tried orange wine yet, this is the first I have heard of it, but I am now intrigued.

If you want to try something different, gooseberry wine, produced by the Lyme Bay Winery amongst others, is good. The winery is based in Axminster but they also have a shop at Lulworth Cove.

Duncan Westbury, a professor of sustainable agriculture I follow on Twitter - yep, I'm all over all the big celebs - - has started a trial with Astley Vineyard whereby he has introduced native wildflowers between the rows of vines. Bit of a crossover with the insects thread for you there.

Meanwhile, in my kitchen, I have just started macerating 300 grams of blackberries (from my garden) in Malbec, ready to start making this year's creme de mure (blackberry liqueur). I love the stuff.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024