Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
QPR Finances released 06:25 - Feb 28 with 56349 viewsJeff

From Kieran Maguire in the Twitter:

[Post edited 28 Feb 2023 6:29]

Can we not knock it?

QPR Finances released on 17:43 - Feb 28 with 3079 viewsNorthantsHoop

Just shows what a mess the finances in football has become losing a dose of reality from owners down to players in running a commercial operation. The whole football pyramid is built on shifting sand. Don't know what the answer is, it is a basket case.
QPR Finances released on 17:56 - Feb 28 with 3008 viewsted_hendrix

Well It's painfully obvious that we need help and quick;

I'm suggesting that we seek help from Reg, Francis, Loretta (used to be Stan) and Judith none other than The People's Front of Judea.
[Post edited 28 Feb 2023 18:32]

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

QPR Finances released on 18:06 - Feb 28 with 2945 viewsstanistheman

QPR Finances released on 14:39 - Feb 28 by daveB

It's a very simplistic way of looking at it from me but I just think as a club we need to do everything better

Bringing in revenue we do nowhere near enough to get people in the door, nowhere near enough to have good food and drink options and nowhere near enough to hire staff who can pour a drink.

Trying to buy a ticket to get in is laughable and has been for years, that ticketing website is just not fit for purpose.

All of that falls on Lee Hoos, he needs to do much better or be replaced by someone else.

On the playing side we spend far too much on the academy, we've gone from one extreme to the other so unless it produces first team players it's white elephant. We pay Chris Ramsey very good money to put the cones out, I've lost track of the number of jobs he's had now.

Our recruitment isn't good enough, we spend far too much on players not good enough and the more you get wrong the bigger the hole you fall into. That needs to be a million times better and that falls on Les Ferdinand who needs to be much better or be replaced.

I could go on but it's all quite depressing

Agree with that, but to add that we also a pay a lot of money to the failing coaches at the club, a next to useless DoF (8 years and no sign of success anywhere at the club) and how many physios, fitness coaches, club doctors & medical staff who oversee an injury list comprising of many seemingly avoidable muscular injuries.

How do the other clubs with similar sized attendances (Preston, Millwall, Luton, Huddersfield etc) manage their finances ? Or are they also in difficulty?

In a way I am thankful that the owners are still here, however, can't help but agree with the comment that it is they with their multi million £££s spent that have taken QPR from the Premiership to the brink of back to L1 in their near 12 year ownership.

After the last relegation, I posted a thread on another site how I saw a lot of similarities with these owners and Chris Wright i.e. in their plans for a new stadium and new success for the club, by spending a lot of money (the former owner initially spent heavily on trying to win promotion on the likes of Peacock, Spencer, Morrow, Sheron, Rose and Harper, but unfortunately failed to appoint a decent manager to achieve it - Houston).

He then wanted his money back, sold players and we struggled for a few seasons in this division before finally dropping.

I got a bit of stick for that post, but don't think I have not been far off from that post.

Many fans thought relegation from the Premiership would mean a few seasons in this division where we win more than we lose, regroup and go back up stronger. I thought otherwise.
QPR Finances released on 18:38 - Feb 28 with 2802 viewsBenny_the_Ball

QPR Finances released on 13:56 - Feb 28 by Northernr

Yes, a sale, a promotion, or a significant hack at the wage bill. Like more than a third of it.
And bar shifting Austin and Gray it doesn't look like they've made much headway on any of that this season (next set of accounts) does it?

Ah yes, such is our recent form that I neglected to even consider the 'promotion' option. Not only is it unlikely but I'm not even convinced that it would solve the problem long-term unless the club sticks with the same squad and accepts immediate relegation.
QPR Finances released on 18:46 - Feb 28 with 2763 views1JD

QPR Finances released on 17:35 - Feb 28 by Hunterhoop

But this line about just bringing our wage bill in line with the lowest we’ve ever achieved in modern times is flippant.

It’s 29m last season. You yourself estimated it might only be a few million lower this year. Let’s estimate it is at 23m, a 6m reduction based on the players you and I know exit.

I have stated repeatedly that the rolling 3 year FFP losses up to the accounts just published will have us fine with the EFL. The issue is this season, accounts published in 12 months, will have us breaching even allowing for best case disallowance costs, unless you somehow think we’ve cut our cloth by 10-15m this season. Income hasn’t gone up.

And then next season, accounts published in 2025, will see the 4m loss season drop off and us suddenly need to be breaking even given last season’s and this season’s losses.

I completely agree that the game is reduce costs or increase income. My point which you keep blindly missing is that either strategy, probably both, need drastic action between now and May 2024. Hence why I’m forecasting a bit of a fire sale and contracts not being renewed.

How else do they achieve it?

And if they don’t the points deduction comes summer of 2025.

Firstly, none of it is “flippant”. Secondly; you previously said “We have already breached FFP: 19/20, 20/21, 21/22. It’s down. We’re over £39m losses in that period".

But I gather now you are saying, “I have stated repeatedly that the rolling 3 year FFP losses up to the accounts just published will have us fine with the EFL. The issue is this season,”

Either way, it is important to clarify there is NOT a breach to date. And I don’t believe the numbers support a breach in the next set of accounts (this season 22/23).

Reason being, your projections appear to be based on general operating losses, not FFP losses, where the picture changes for the better. They also do not account for finer accounting details which further positively changes the picture e.g. write-offs, 1m training ground rental(s) which no longer stand, and more which we are not privy to.

As to your last point how it’s possible to conceive a scenario whereby modest wage reductions this season, and even next, bring us into allowed FFP loss territory. Consider this.

Last season (21/22) we posted an admittedly large £29m wage bill (all in), with stadium running costs averaging around £10m per annum.

They are our two biggest day-to-day cost bases as previously mentioned. = £39m expense. But it is offset by £22m in revenue.

From a pure “day to day” running cost, it means we had a deficit of -17m. (39-22 = -17m). Not great, I agree. But cutting the wage bill by 4m (more than doable) would put us in a more manageable 13m “day to day” annual loss.

I say day-to-day because, this is the key figure which demonstrates the health of the business.

Of course, this is a simplification (it doesn’t include all manner of other accounting ins and outs e.g. player amortisation, player transfer fees still owed etc), but as we go forward, and as happened before, when transfer fees are continually not being spent (and we aren’t spending, and won’t be in the coming 2 seasons, unless a player sale) amortisation, and monies owed, drips off and is not longer part of the calculations. So, essentially, wages costs, and stadium costs - offset by revenues - are the core numbers for loss projections.

Hence why, stripping the wage bill back, say circa 6m, this season, and next, will likely stand us in good FFP stead.
QPR Finances released on 18:59 - Feb 28 with 2709 viewsdaveB

QPR Finances released on 15:45 - Feb 28 by BAWHoops

If you want to cut £10m off the wage bill (and not replace it) that's close to £190k per week... I don't even know where we start reducing that

Perhaps
Archer - £3k
Dieng - £8k
Laird - £10k
Balogan - £10k
Amos - £10k
Field - £10k
Chair - £15k
Willock - £10k
Adomah - £10k
Dykes - £8k

That's £94k off, so still £100k to much and we aren't replacing any of those players

If Dieng , Field, Dykes, Willock and Chair go we'd be getting transfer fees for those as well
QPR Finances released on 19:01 - Feb 28 with 2692 viewsdaveB

QPR Finances released on 16:05 - Feb 28 by Hunterhoop

Dave, my estimates in an earlier post are based on our losses this season improving by 4m. Maybe it’ll be 5-6m. Still puts us over again in 12 months time. 4+24+18=46m.

There is no way this season sees us make a loss of 11m or less, from 24m last year. None. We didn’t even achieve that in 19/20.

And the following season in this accounting rolling period is next season 23/24. The 4m drops out. So you have 24m, this season at, say, 18m, and the ??? But you’re already in breach before the season starts at 42m. Hence my point that next season you have to break even somehow to be even close to FFP.

How could we do this? Well, this extra tv money would be hugely helpful but not sure when that is received. We could sell someone for massive money (who?)? We could hope Eze goes for £50m and saves the club again.

Without those we must sell and let everyone go this summer or face an inevitable points deduction in the summer of 2025.

Tbh, we have breached now, and will breach again when the next accounts are published, so we could get a points deduction this summer, or even this season.

But after deductions we’re allowed to make for FFP calcs this year, I think we’ll be there or thereabouts and be allowed off by the EFL. Next year, we might be close enough for a transfer embargo or something but no points deduction. Unless we take drastic action between now and May 2024, in spring/summer 2025, we will get a whopping points deduction.

Oh yeah not suggesting they will be that low but will surely be lower than this season

I don't think we have breached the rules now though, we are just under still with the covid allowance
QPR Finances released on 19:04 - Feb 28 with 2672 viewsNorthernr

QPR Finances released on 18:46 - Feb 28 by 1JD

Firstly, none of it is “flippant”. Secondly; you previously said “We have already breached FFP: 19/20, 20/21, 21/22. It’s down. We’re over £39m losses in that period".

But I gather now you are saying, “I have stated repeatedly that the rolling 3 year FFP losses up to the accounts just published will have us fine with the EFL. The issue is this season,”

Either way, it is important to clarify there is NOT a breach to date. And I don’t believe the numbers support a breach in the next set of accounts (this season 22/23).

Reason being, your projections appear to be based on general operating losses, not FFP losses, where the picture changes for the better. They also do not account for finer accounting details which further positively changes the picture e.g. write-offs, 1m training ground rental(s) which no longer stand, and more which we are not privy to.

As to your last point how it’s possible to conceive a scenario whereby modest wage reductions this season, and even next, bring us into allowed FFP loss territory. Consider this.

Last season (21/22) we posted an admittedly large £29m wage bill (all in), with stadium running costs averaging around £10m per annum.

They are our two biggest day-to-day cost bases as previously mentioned. = £39m expense. But it is offset by £22m in revenue.

From a pure “day to day” running cost, it means we had a deficit of -17m. (39-22 = -17m). Not great, I agree. But cutting the wage bill by 4m (more than doable) would put us in a more manageable 13m “day to day” annual loss.

I say day-to-day because, this is the key figure which demonstrates the health of the business.

Of course, this is a simplification (it doesn’t include all manner of other accounting ins and outs e.g. player amortisation, player transfer fees still owed etc), but as we go forward, and as happened before, when transfer fees are continually not being spent (and we aren’t spending, and won’t be in the coming 2 seasons, unless a player sale) amortisation, and monies owed, drips off and is not longer part of the calculations. So, essentially, wages costs, and stadium costs - offset by revenues - are the core numbers for loss projections.

Hence why, stripping the wage bill back, say circa 6m, this season, and next, will likely stand us in good FFP stead.

You keep saying "more than doable" about cutting the wage bill, and giving it a lazy "oh I guess doom and gloom is trendy atm"...

Doable it may be, and we have done it before, but I don't remember that process being fun, or easy, or quick. It got a lot of people's backs up. We ran one relegation quite close under Holloway. And we started with a team that had won a promotion and been in the Premier League.

This time you're starting with the team we've got before us, which isn't even competitive in this league any longer, it is tanking towards the relegation zone with one win in 19 games, it needs massive improvements all over the park. I wouldn't describe doing the massive surgery this squad needs on it, while at the same time cutting a third off its salary bill, is "more than doable". It's going to be extremely difficult to perform that act while maintaining even a place in this league, never mind compete for one in the one above.

You're not just going to optimism it into being any more than people expressing fully justified concern about our club that is now losing £2m a month and has won one game in half a season are going to ruin it by saying "ooooh, not looking great is it?".
Login to get fewer ads

QPR Finances released on 19:05 - Feb 28 with 2662 viewsHunterhoop

QPR Finances released on 18:46 - Feb 28 by 1JD

But day to day doesn’t really matter. And losing £13m pa is not good business health!

The rolling figure is what matters to FFP. We simply cannot get down to meet FFP without reducing costs significantly (which means letting players go and not replacing at the same cost) and/or selling them. We will not drive up income any other way.

I just don’t think you’ll be anywhere near right forecasting an FFP loss of only 13m for this season down from c. 20m FFP loss in last season. There is nothing to suggest we’re down by 7m.

And the following year - next season - even if we were at 20m then 13m, how do we drop to an FFP loss of 6m? Without a fire sale this coming summer and next Jan and not renewing any contracts?
QPR Finances released on 19:25 - Feb 28 with 2578 viewsBerkoRanger

QPR Finances released on 17:56 - Feb 28 by ted_hendrix

Well It's painfully obvious that we need help and quick;

I'm suggesting that we seek help from Reg, Francis, Loretta (used to be Stan) and Judith none other than The People's Front of Judea.
[Post edited 28 Feb 2023 18:32]

No - the Judean People's Front would be much better. Or we could sell the ground for 80M and lease it back.
QPR Finances released on 19:26 - Feb 28 with 2569 viewsHunterhoop

QPR Finances released on 19:04 - Feb 28 by Northernr

You keep saying "more than doable" about cutting the wage bill, and giving it a lazy "oh I guess doom and gloom is trendy atm"...

Doable it may be, and we have done it before, but I don't remember that process being fun, or easy, or quick. It got a lot of people's backs up. We ran one relegation quite close under Holloway. And we started with a team that had won a promotion and been in the Premier League.

This time you're starting with the team we've got before us, which isn't even competitive in this league any longer, it is tanking towards the relegation zone with one win in 19 games, it needs massive improvements all over the park. I wouldn't describe doing the massive surgery this squad needs on it, while at the same time cutting a third off its salary bill, is "more than doable". It's going to be extremely difficult to perform that act while maintaining even a place in this league, never mind compete for one in the one above.

You're not just going to optimism it into being any more than people expressing fully justified concern about our club that is now losing £2m a month and has won one game in half a season are going to ruin it by saying "ooooh, not looking great is it?".

Exactly. P&Ls are like oil tankers. Very hard to change direction and move quickly. We stuck with wages we can’t offload whether we like it or not. There is employment law to consider. We can’t just drop 4 or 6m off the wage bill with a click of the fingers. Some of our highest earners we’re stuck with through next season, when in your most optimistic scenario, we need to be making no more than a 6m loss. The time we have ever done under FFP is when we sold Eze. The season in question we need to achieve this us NEXT SEASON, between now and 2024. Who are we selling? Who are we not renewing?

You began this by saying it was purely conjecture that we need to sell or release. That is blatantly nonsense. You can’t reduce the wage bill in that short a timeframe without doing both at scale. That’s all I’ve been saying from the start. Expect sales and players allowed to walk in the next 12 months. There is no other way. Even then, I’m not sure we’ll make it because I think we’ll have an FFP loss way above 13m this year, requiring an even bigger reduction in costs in the next 12 months or so.

I’m saying all this because your conjecture comment is irresponsible. Fans need to understand the predicament. We will get a points deduction in the summer of 2025 without drastic action in the next 12 months. And we need to hope that action doesn’t send us down. And we will need to supply a team with players who have cost us and will cost us a lot less, so may be a bit more agricultural.

Expectations need to be managed so as to avoid this “sign a striker” nonsense.
QPR Finances released on 19:29 - Feb 28 with 2553 viewsjoolsyp

QPR Finances released on 15:02 - Feb 28 by GaryBannister86

This. I wanted him to do well anyway, but started watching his performances for Palace realising a £50m move would get us out of the poo, again.

So....he's been dropped.

Maybe that’s a blessing in disguise - he might get unhappy on the bench and push for a move, albeit probably not to money-bags Newcastle.
QPR Finances released on 19:53 - Feb 28 with 2459 viewsbosh67

I think the only way out of this is to start drilling for oil and fracking for gas at Loftus Road in the opposition's penalty area where the engineers would remain undisturbed.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

QPR Finances released on 19:57 - Feb 28 with 2437 viewsSimonD

I've not double checked my spreadsheet, read through all of the notes in the accounts etc, but I think we've still got £13m headroom after this set of accounts. There was a big loss rolling out of the reporting period.

I'll try to get a proper update to Clive on Thursday with a detailed explanation of how, why and what. I don't see us breaching this season, the issue is still the one after.
QPR Finances released on 20:02 - Feb 28 with 2413 views1JD

QPR Finances released on 19:05 - Feb 28 by Hunterhoop

But day to day doesn’t really matter. And losing £13m pa is not good business health!

The rolling figure is what matters to FFP. We simply cannot get down to meet FFP without reducing costs significantly (which means letting players go and not replacing at the same cost) and/or selling them. We will not drive up income any other way.

I just don’t think you’ll be anywhere near right forecasting an FFP loss of only 13m for this season down from c. 20m FFP loss in last season. There is nothing to suggest we’re down by 7m.

And the following year - next season - even if we were at 20m then 13m, how do we drop to an FFP loss of 6m? Without a fire sale this coming summer and next Jan and not renewing any contracts?

To be clear, I did not forecast a 13m loss for this season. It’s impossible to do so as we don’t know player amortisation. I was suggesting we could meet a 13m loss, once transfer fees have rolled off, in the next season (23/24) or two (24/25).

Regardless, you’ve set your stall out for a fire sale this summer. You’ve also predicted impending doom in the form of points deductions, and continuously at that, season after season.

I disagree with both, for multiple reasons outlined. And now we will just have to see how it transpires. So I guess we’ll just have to come back to this and revisit it.

[Post edited 28 Feb 2023 20:21]
QPR Finances released on 20:04 - Feb 28 with 2404 viewsDWQPR

FFP or P&S is a total heap of steaming North Battersea. What other industry in the world has regulations that allow firms to lose an average of £13million a year and be happy with that? Absolutely stupid. And yet if I read correctly teams in leagues one and two have a different set of rules whereby any monies paid by owners to fund clubs is treated as income? If that is the case then we would be better off getting relegated, allowing the owners to spend £50million on the club and getting promoted again!

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

QPR Finances released on 20:10 - Feb 28 with 2383 views1JD

QPR Finances released on 19:04 - Feb 28 by Northernr

Clive, you have a right to be negative, as you frequently are, but I personally find it draining. We are not in a good way, granted, but there is a huge amount of supposition. Whilst other information is being wilfully ignored. I’ve outlined multiple reasons, I won’t continue. And we will see what actually transpires. As I’ve said, let’s come back to this.
QPR Finances released on 20:26 - Feb 28 with 2307 viewsCateLeBonR

QPR Finances released on 20:04 - Feb 28 by DWQPR

FFP or P&S is a total heap of steaming North Battersea. What other industry in the world has regulations that allow firms to lose an average of £13million a year and be happy with that? Absolutely stupid. And yet if I read correctly teams in leagues one and two have a different set of rules whereby any monies paid by owners to fund clubs is treated as income? If that is the case then we would be better off getting relegated, allowing the owners to spend £50million on the club and getting promoted again!

I very much doubt that is the case.

I'll be honest I find it all it bit mental that people think we need to spend more of the 'owners' money to get out of this. We need to do the opposite. We need to do the opposite. We need to produce more. Even if the current plan hasn't worked how we liked, if it was a good plan then we should stick to it. Look how quickly things have changed in the last few years. Whose to say they won't change again in the next few years to our benefit?
QPR Finances released on 20:55 - Feb 28 with 2199 viewsHastings_Hoops

QPR Finances released on 16:30 - Feb 28 by Northernr

Or bought a small stake in a club that, at the time last January, looked like it had a good chance of promotion into the serious stuff.

Also, a good time to buy a small stake (note it is actually 12.5% now) in a club on the brink of collapse located on 4.5 acres of real estate in West London.
QPR Finances released on 20:58 - Feb 28 with 2166 viewsterryb

What has been pointed out to me & that I'd forgotten, is that we won't have to pay rent for Harlington this season. How much that will save us I don't know. Some of the costs from Heston should also be allowable as the youth's train there.

We've made a start on our reductions!
QPR Finances released on 20:59 - Feb 28 with 2160 viewsHunterhoop

QPR Finances released on 20:55 - Feb 28 by Hastings_Hoops

Also, a good time to buy a small stake (note it is actually 12.5% now) in a club on the brink of collapse located on 4.5 acres of real estate in West London.

Yes, that did cross my mind too.
QPR Finances released on 21:27 - Feb 28 with 2039 viewsFredManRave

QPR Finances released on 15:55 - Feb 28 by Hunterhoop

Yeah, I understand how P&L’s work, mate; I understand how you manage them too; part of my job.

Cutting cost is a lot harder than increasing it though. Doing so and maintaining output/performance is very hard.

The way you are framing it is a little irresponsible, IMO. Increasing our revenue in a cost of living crisis with inflationary pressures on your costs. Harder than pre-pandemic.

Cutting your salary costs by 8m for last year, say another 5m from this year, when you are in the bottom 6 and playing badly, with high earners like Johansen, JCS, etc on contracts running past this season. Hard.

And you seem to misunderstand the timing of things. Go back and read my earlier posts.

We have already breached FFP: 19/20, 20/21, 21/22. It’s down. We’re over £39m losses in that period.

We will breach again when 22/23 is posted in 12 months’ time. We’re already 3/4 of the way through this period. We all know the wage bill hasn’t come down 8-10m and revenue isn’t up. I assumed our losses would be 4m lower this season to last. Still a big gap.

We will breach massively when 23/24 is posted unless we break even next season. The accounts for that won’t be published until Spring 2025.

The only way to break even next season is to sell everyone and let everyone go, well, practically everyone expensive.

"Yeah, I understand how P&L’s work, mate; I understand how you manage them too; part of my job".

OK. So, you don't just make the sandwiches then?! (Insert tongue in cheek emoji here).
Just trying to lighten the mood and I may have even got you mixed up with somebody else?!

Back on point, I think it's quite simple. If we had bought Baggio to replace Ferdinand we wouldn't be in this mess. Simples. Maybe even Odemwingie could have been a game changer?!

In all seriousness, what was the timeframe from Eze being effectively unheard of and worth a mill to being a 15million asset? Genuine question. Because that's got to be at the top of the, escaping this world of doom, that we have on here, atm.

Also would we get Sterling for Sterling if he decided to move on from a midtable club that will, hopefully, next season be fighting relegation?!

Also, when did that guy from the Box Office leave and go to Spurs (I think). Can't remember his name but does it coincide with our current predicament?!
[Post edited 28 Feb 2023 21:28]

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

QPR Finances released on 22:20 - Feb 28 with 1835 viewsdaveB

One way to get some money in might be to go mad and have a cup run, it brings prize money, tv money and gate money in. Bristol City getting a nice payday tonight as are Fleetwood tomorrow
QPR Finances released on 22:26 - Feb 28 with 1805 viewsPunteR

QPR Finances released on 21:27 - Feb 28 by FredManRave

"Yeah, I understand how P&L’s work, mate; I understand how you manage them too; part of my job".

OK. So, you don't just make the sandwiches then?! (Insert tongue in cheek emoji here).
Just trying to lighten the mood and I may have even got you mixed up with somebody else?!

Back on point, I think it's quite simple. If we had bought Baggio to replace Ferdinand we wouldn't be in this mess. Simples. Maybe even Odemwingie could have been a game changer?!

In all seriousness, what was the timeframe from Eze being effectively unheard of and worth a mill to being a 15million asset? Genuine question. Because that's got to be at the top of the, escaping this world of doom, that we have on here, atm.

Also would we get Sterling for Sterling if he decided to move on from a midtable club that will, hopefully, next season be fighting relegation?!

Also, when did that guy from the Box Office leave and go to Spurs (I think). Can't remember his name but does it coincide with our current predicament?!
[Post edited 28 Feb 2023 21:28]

Conner?

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

QPR Finances released on 22:36 - Feb 28 with 1753 viewsVancouverHoop

How do our finances stack up with other clubs in the division?

I ask because it may be the league's requirements are untenable for a number of other teams. If so perhaps they need adjusting. While excessive spending should be curbed, and there needs to effective constraints. It's not a successful policy if it drives a significant number of clubs to wall. In fact it may force them to even more desperate measures.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024