Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
MOTM 22:13 - Jan 7 with 4822 viewsswan_si

why is "man of the match" now called "player of the match", I mean it's played with 22 men, 23 if you include the ref, on the pitch.
MOTM on 20:25 - Jan 8 with 880 viewsDr_Parnassus

MOTM on 20:03 - Jan 8 by Gwyn737

The men are already called players, though.

Joe Allen is a Swansea City player. We don’t refer to him as a Swansea City Male player.

The use of the word player works in this instance. We’re not changing meaning at all.

I’ve posted many times on her about my concerns over transgenderism in sport and women’s rights, but on this occasion it doesn’t matter.

Who is being effected? Who is being hurt? Again, what is the problem?

It’s been explained to you who it’s affecting and why.

What you mean is it doesn’t matter to you, and that’s because you are often aligned with leftist ideals.

If people losing their gender and identity is not an issue then why is it in other realms? At the moment if you are white, straight or male then you don’t seem to be able to have a valid opinion. White, straight female is not too far behind in that pecking order.

If this was a discussion about a Trans league and people were removing the “they/them” from the language and they were complaining about it - there is zero chance you would be saying “why does it matter”. You would be saying how awful it is that we are trying to deny their gender identity etc etc

Everytime language gets changed fairly significantly it’s always accompanied with people saying “why does it matter, it’s only….” - before you know it we have to call single entities “they”, we have to call breast feeding “chest feeding”, mothers “birthing people”, women “womxn”, Latina “latinx”…… etc etc etc

There is a great sickness at the moment with the left trying with all its might to impose its ideals into peoples lives and into popular lexicon - by force in some cases (Bill C-16 in Canada).

This de-gendering of language is important, maybe not to you, but to a lot of people as they see the bigger picture and the continued domino effect of it.
[Post edited 8 Jan 2023 22:07]

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

MOTM on 20:39 - Jan 8 with 873 viewsGwyn737

Dr. P, I can see you are posting and I don’t know if you’re replying to me as I’ve got you on ignore and have had for some time. That’s not going to change so I suggest you save your energy.

I’ll just assume your opinions are identical to Jordan Peterson and we’ll leave it there.

Anyway, just to clarify, we’ve talked tonight about the performance of the players today.

It’s transfer time so we will talk about which players may be coming in and which players could be going out.

By early next week we’ll be looking at injury reports to see which players are injured and which players may be available selection. That’ll inform conversations around which players we think should be part of the playing squad and team for next week. This will keep us going right up to match day when an hour before we’ll find out which players have been selected.

Onto the match where we’ll post about which players are playing well and which aren’t. As the game progresses we’ll talk about which players should be subbed and which players should come on.

At the end of the game we’ll discuss the players performance and we might even rate the players.

BUT if on 88 minutes we don’t swap the word ‘player’ for the word ‘man’, we’re contributing to the decline of society?
MOTM on 20:43 - Jan 8 with 867 viewsWhiterockin

MOTM on 20:39 - Jan 8 by Gwyn737

Dr. P, I can see you are posting and I don’t know if you’re replying to me as I’ve got you on ignore and have had for some time. That’s not going to change so I suggest you save your energy.

I’ll just assume your opinions are identical to Jordan Peterson and we’ll leave it there.

Anyway, just to clarify, we’ve talked tonight about the performance of the players today.

It’s transfer time so we will talk about which players may be coming in and which players could be going out.

By early next week we’ll be looking at injury reports to see which players are injured and which players may be available selection. That’ll inform conversations around which players we think should be part of the playing squad and team for next week. This will keep us going right up to match day when an hour before we’ll find out which players have been selected.

Onto the match where we’ll post about which players are playing well and which aren’t. As the game progresses we’ll talk about which players should be subbed and which players should come on.

At the end of the game we’ll discuss the players performance and we might even rate the players.

BUT if on 88 minutes we don’t swap the word ‘player’ for the word ‘man’, we’re contributing to the decline of society?

Brilliant
MOTM on 20:58 - Jan 8 with 849 viewsswan_si

You're missing the point Gwyn, it has always been MOTM, why now is it changed to POTM, if as you say it doesn't matter then surely there's no need to change it, so it must have been seen as controversial to somebody to have changed it.
MOTM on 21:04 - Jan 8 with 847 viewsGwyn737

MOTM on 20:58 - Jan 8 by swan_si

You're missing the point Gwyn, it has always been MOTM, why now is it changed to POTM, if as you say it doesn't matter then surely there's no need to change it, so it must have been seen as controversial to somebody to have changed it.

I’m guessing with the growth of the women’s game it simplifies things and make it consistent.

If we didn’t use the word player and there was a total change I’d be with you. If it was a made up pronoun I’d be with you.

I just think in this particular instance it’s inconsequential. This isn’t taking masculinity out of the game as we already call them players. That was the point of my post.

I’m not all wokey about it, hence I loved your joke!
MOTM on 21:14 - Jan 8 with 816 viewsswan_si

MOTM on 21:04 - Jan 8 by Gwyn737

I’m guessing with the growth of the women’s game it simplifies things and make it consistent.

If we didn’t use the word player and there was a total change I’d be with you. If it was a made up pronoun I’d be with you.

I just think in this particular instance it’s inconsequential. This isn’t taking masculinity out of the game as we already call them players. That was the point of my post.

They'll be cancelling pink toothbrush by Max Bygraves next.
MOTM on 21:19 - Jan 8 with 790 viewsDr_Parnassus

Whether you ignore me or not is irrelevant, that’s something you are imposing on yourself and will affect the way you use this site. Your claim has no effect on me whatsoever and I will continue replying to you as per normal - and I’m perfectly sure you are reading as intended.

Your fear of having to debate against someone capable of destroying your leftist ideals has no effect on me whatsoever (regardless of the reason you may pretend you have me on ignore). My replies are seen by everyone else (including you) meaning the other side to your shallow and inverse views can be aired and understood.

My views tend to mirror most sensible people, I have no idea what Jordan Peterson has said about the MotM thing, maybe you can enlighten me?

What you seem to be saying is because often they are called players, then it’s okay to neutralise the gendered language in areas we don’t.

Why? Who has lobbied for this? What purpose does the change serve?

Again if the roles were reversed and gendered language such as “they” and “them” pronouns were being eroded away from the trans game, you would be up in arms and wouldn’t be saying anything remotely like “why does it matter”.

As has been explained to you now, by several people. These changes are designed to slowly erode, there is no use in looking at this and pretending the language change stops and begins there, it hasn’t and it doesn’t.

Your viewpoint is intentional in its naivety - which is extremely dishonest, you know exactly the extent of this language change and you know the reason it’s being done. Hiding behind “it’s only…”, “it’s just…” isn’t going to cut it with anybody with even the slightest bit of intelligence and knowledge of the world.
[Post edited 8 Jan 2023 21:42]

MOTM on 21:20 - Jan 8 with 786 viewsDr_Parnassus

MOTM on 20:43 - Jan 8 by Whiterockin

Brilliant

Which part exactly? Maybe you can help him out in explaining.

Or is this your usual seal clapping at nonsense because they appear to disagree with your hero?

I’ll assume the latter.

Login to get fewer ads

MOTM on 21:24 - Jan 8 with 793 viewsWhiterockin

MOTM on 21:20 - Jan 8 by Dr_Parnassus

Which part exactly? Maybe you can help him out in explaining.

Or is this your usual seal clapping at nonsense because they appear to disagree with your hero?

I’ll assume the latter.

Assume all you like, it's what you normally do.
MOTM on 21:35 - Jan 8 with 744 viewsDr_Parnassus

MOTM on 21:24 - Jan 8 by Whiterockin

Assume all you like, it's what you normally do.

Didn’t think there would be a worthwhile answer.

What a shame.

Well anyone who is able to counter what I say is welcome to, I have explained in great detail and also provided actual accounts of people who this kind of language change is affecting.

If all we have in return is seal claps at poor retorts and false claims of ignoring to save people from having to explain their flawed views.. then we are doing well, it means I’m on the right track.

MOTM on 21:49 - Jan 8 with 734 viewsSirjohnalot

Reminder to everyone to debate respectfully.

People can chose to respond or not respond. Please respect others views.
MOTM on 21:56 - Jan 8 with 710 viewsDr_Parnassus

MOTM on 21:49 - Jan 8 by Sirjohnalot

Don’t think anyone has been abusive or anything have they? Interjecting like that when there is no abuse only sets the stage to pull the thread at a later stage when the discussion really is lost and incoventient truths being stated.

Respect the poster, sure (to an extent), you don’t have to respect views though and I won’t if I don’t, that’s bonkers. Some views are part of a system that deserves no respect what so ever, but you will always get an invitation to discuss it sensibly with me.

I won’t abuse anyone, but may well question their motives and why they support such things. It’s very clearly politically motivated.

MOTM on 22:10 - Jan 8 with 681 viewsWhiterockin

Taken you advice John and used the block function.

Sometimes posters don't believe you have blocked them, it's easy to check, send them a PM it will say it cant be sent as you are blocked.
MOTM on 22:12 - Jan 8 with 666 viewsReslovenSwan1

I was troubled by the resignation of Greg Clarke. For all I know, a decent sort of chap trying his best. He was forced to resign over the incorrect sequencing of words. He called "people of colour" which is deemed OK "Coloured people" which some consider highly offensive.

This is what the Guardian said,

""The 63-year-old is to vacate his role immediately after his description of “coloured footballers”, amongst other remarks, caused shock and outrage in the world of football and beyond. The move comes just weeks after the FA sought to take the lead on inclusion within sport with the launch of its Football Leadership Diversity Code.""

I wonder who exactly was shocked and outraged. It was not me. I am shocked and outraged at much worse than that and told by my peers to "get a pair of cahones" and stop moaning.

Gary Lineker will presumably be issuing a 'deep and hard felt' apology if he accidentally asking Wrighty for his Man of the match. (Ian Wright MBE is a person of colour).
[Post edited 8 Jan 2023 22:13]

Wise sage since Toshack era

MOTM on 22:13 - Jan 8 with 648 viewsDr_Parnassus

MOTM on 22:10 - Jan 8 by Whiterockin

Taken you advice John and used the block function.

Sometimes posters don't believe you have blocked them, it's easy to check, send them a PM it will say it cant be sent as you are blocked.

Great news for the forum, let’s hope the seal claps are kept to a minimum from here on in then.

I certainly won’t be “testing” it. People ensure they read those they claim to block by simply logging out, but let’s hope you don’t show the signs of that and actually stop mentioning me and sniping like a child on the sidelines.

We shall see.

MOTM on 22:18 - Jan 8 with 637 viewsSTID2017

Good advice John.
Glad to see most have followed your advice these past few days and consequently the forum has been better for the most part.

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

MOTM on 22:23 - Jan 8 with 611 viewsDr_Parnassus

MOTM on 22:12 - Jan 8 by ReslovenSwan1

I was troubled by the resignation of Greg Clarke. For all I know, a decent sort of chap trying his best. He was forced to resign over the incorrect sequencing of words. He called "people of colour" which is deemed OK "Coloured people" which some consider highly offensive.

This is what the Guardian said,

""The 63-year-old is to vacate his role immediately after his description of “coloured footballers”, amongst other remarks, caused shock and outrage in the world of football and beyond. The move comes just weeks after the FA sought to take the lead on inclusion within sport with the launch of its Football Leadership Diversity Code.""

I wonder who exactly was shocked and outraged. It was not me. I am shocked and outraged at much worse than that and told by my peers to "get a pair of cahones" and stop moaning.

Gary Lineker will presumably be issuing a 'deep and hard felt' apology if he accidentally asking Wrighty for his Man of the match. (Ian Wright MBE is a person of colour).
[Post edited 8 Jan 2023 22:13]

Politics, specifically leftist politics is infecting the western world.

They filter it through the most popular public things (music, media, sport and Hollywood). They are huge propaganda tools not only to brainwash but to pressure Governments for radical change.

They are very clever in their implementation of these things and usually anyone who speaks out is “cancelled” or “silenced”.

The thing with leftist ideals is, they can’t be rationalised against common sense. This is why you rarely see a good debate between the two sides on subjects such as this. They either run, put their fingers in their ears and call you a racist/fascist/bigot (remove as appropriate) or attack your character.

This is a very dangerous time societally, kids minds are being absolutely warped and peoples freedoms are being removed slowly but surely. I can honestly see a genderless society in 100 years time, everyone paid the same tiny living wage and absolute anarchy where people’s common sense has been completely removed as their speech and thoughts gets shaped by social media peer policing.

Ugly, ugly time we live in.

MOTM on 06:23 - Jan 9 with 561 viewsWhiterockin

MOTM on 21:04 - Jan 8 by Gwyn737

There has been player of the month/season/year for many a year, player of the match is only a natural progression. Nothing to get really excited about.
MOTM on 06:25 - Jan 9 with 557 viewsDr_Parnassus

MOTM on 06:23 - Jan 9 by Whiterockin

There has been player of the month/season/year for many a year, player of the match is only a natural progression. Nothing to get really excited about.

Why is it progress?

MOTM on 06:34 - Jan 9 with 543 viewsGwyn737

MOTM on 06:23 - Jan 9 by Whiterockin

I hadn’t thought of that. Good point 👍
MOTM on 06:48 - Jan 9 with 536 viewsDr_Parnassus

MOTM on 06:34 - Jan 9 by Gwyn737

I hadn’t thought of that. Good point 👍

But there has also been “man of the match”, “man on”, “man marking”, “5 man wall”, “last man”, “down to 10 men” etc etc

Why don’t we change player of the season to man of the season to get it aligned?

Just because non gendered language exists, it doesn’t mean we must change all gendered language to non gendered language. There is nothing wrong with gendered language in a sport divided by gender - unless you are politically swayed that way of course (ahem).

In short, you appear to be missing the point. Again.
[Post edited 9 Jan 2023 7:00]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024