Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So is the Martinball experiment dead? 21:39 - Sep 3 with 7647 viewsDr_Parnassus

What on earth has happened here?

Last season I touched upon the key metrics Martin judges performance by, being vastly different to what everyone else does - to the point that “success” in those Martinball areas (pass count, possession, pass number) was actually hindering the result and a reduction in all of the above correlates directly to higher points.

45% possession, 423 passes 19.9% long balls (?!)

No passing for passings sake, no short balls at all costs mantra, no pointless possession just to keep hold of the ball. So refreshing.

In our last two games we have averaged 48% possession and got 4 points from 6.

Martin has either been given an absolute roasting or he’s had an epiphany that what he was doing was never going to work.

Either one is fine by me. I rarely get excited by wins these days knowing that it’s very likely Martinball will be back the next week…. But this time it feels different, I think the witch may actually be dead?

Well done Martin for finally changing it and of course well done to the players. Let’s finally play to this squads ability.

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

So is the Martinball experiment dead? on 13:10 - Sep 4 with 1267 viewsReslovenSwan1

The forum statisticians fail to factor into their models that there are two teams on the pitch and the way the game pans out depends on the opponent. Some teams play what some people called a few years ago "parasite " football feeding sole off mistakes and doing nothing particularly constructive of their own.

It is clear to most of us and probably Martin as well that he has not got the balance right. To play possession football is exactly the right way to play but it must be balanced with some beef resilience and decisive play n occasions. Mixing it up a little will confuse the opposition. If they know What Swansea are going to do at all times they can make plans to counteract it.

Wise sage since Toshack era

So is the Martinball experiment dead? (n/t) on 15:28 - Sep 4 with 1196 viewsJak365

[Post edited 30 Oct 2022 1:15]
So is the Martinball experiment dead? on 17:23 - Sep 4 with 1148 viewsonehunglow

So is the Martinball experiment dead? (n/t) on 15:28 - Sep 4 by Jak365

[Post edited 30 Oct 2022 1:15]

Brum will look to rough us up.
We need to do the basics again and get another win

This can be a good season and we need to build on Saturday

Meanwhile ,offer a new improved contract to young Cooper and give the captain armband to Joe Allen. Might be an idea to bench Grimes now.

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

So is the Martinball experiment dead? on 22:28 - Sep 4 with 1081 viewsDr_Parnassus

So is the Martinball experiment dead? on 13:10 - Sep 4 by ReslovenSwan1

The forum statisticians fail to factor into their models that there are two teams on the pitch and the way the game pans out depends on the opponent. Some teams play what some people called a few years ago "parasite " football feeding sole off mistakes and doing nothing particularly constructive of their own.

It is clear to most of us and probably Martin as well that he has not got the balance right. To play possession football is exactly the right way to play but it must be balanced with some beef resilience and decisive play n occasions. Mixing it up a little will confuse the opposition. If they know What Swansea are going to do at all times they can make plans to counteract it.

So for 14 months we have played teams who don’t want to play football allowing us 80% possession, 800 passes and 95% short passes 93% of which completed….

And it just so happens that in the last 2 games Stoke and QPR have restricted us to average possession of about 47%? Made us hit 20% long balls? Let us only complete 75% of passes and only attempt about 400?

Aye okay. We are talking Stoke and QPR here not Real Madrid and Bayern Munich

So is the Martinball experiment dead? on 02:15 - Sep 5 with 1038 viewsKerouac

So is the Martinball experiment dead? on 22:28 - Sep 4 by Dr_Parnassus

So for 14 months we have played teams who don’t want to play football allowing us 80% possession, 800 passes and 95% short passes 93% of which completed….

And it just so happens that in the last 2 games Stoke and QPR have restricted us to average possession of about 47%? Made us hit 20% long balls? Let us only complete 75% of passes and only attempt about 400?

Aye okay. We are talking Stoke and QPR here not Real Madrid and Bayern Munich

Make it make sense

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss9VZ1FHxy0
Poll: Which manager should replace Russell Martin (2) ?

So is the Martinball experiment dead? on 03:12 - Sep 5 with 1032 viewsDr_Parnassus

So is the Martinball experiment dead? on 02:15 - Sep 5 by Kerouac

Make it make sense

I wish I could, people are in dreamland unfortunately and completely (intentionally) blind to what’s in front of them.

So all along when we were suggesting that we go long when needed, that all the short passing was pointless and counter productive, that we were having way too much safe possession and way too many passes…. and we were told that it’s his way and we should learn to deal with it because it isn’t changing….

Well now the narrative is that they were trying to do this all along.

I’d say “you couldn’t make it up” but people clearly and unashamedly are.

So is the Martinball experiment dead? on 16:17 - Sep 5 with 971 viewsvetchonian

So is the Martinball experiment dead? on 10:56 - Sep 4 by magicdaps10

This is why you seen an instant switch from a back 3 to a flat 4.

Martin instructed Pato and Sorinola to hug the line and Naughton to go into right back........the highline certainly helped us, Sorinola had a field day running into space, better execution and we could have got a few more, the square pass behind Piroe when Sorinola should have taken it up to the keeper and then rolled a square ball to Piroe for an open goal.

The QPR boss got his tactics terribly wrong and Martin was quick to exploit it.

We started with a flat back 4..there was no in game tactical switch

We were set up

4-5-1
Naughton, Woods Cabango Manning
Grimes
Sorinola, Allen, Pato
Cooper
Piroe

With Cooper pushing up alongside Piroe

Poll: Will CCFC win a game this season?

So is the Martinball experiment dead? on 16:38 - Sep 5 with 967 viewsmagicdaps10

So is the Martinball experiment dead? on 16:17 - Sep 5 by vetchonian

We started with a flat back 4..there was no in game tactical switch

We were set up

4-5-1
Naughton, Woods Cabango Manning
Grimes
Sorinola, Allen, Pato
Cooper
Piroe

With Cooper pushing up alongside Piroe

We started with a back 3...... Cabango central with Naughton on the right and Wood on the left.

Martin changed it straight after the pull back by Cabango.

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

Login to get fewer ads

So is the Martinball experiment dead? on 18:20 - Sep 5 with 941 viewsjasper_T

We've started with a back four in most of our games this season.
So is the Martinball experiment dead? on 18:28 - Sep 5 with 934 viewsjack247

So is the Martinball experiment dead? on 16:38 - Sep 5 by magicdaps10

We started with a back 3...... Cabango central with Naughton on the right and Wood on the left.

That was within the first minute. I honestly couldn’t tell you how we’d been set up for the 45 seconds or so before it happened.
So is the Martinball experiment dead? on 18:57 - Sep 5 with 916 viewsmagicdaps10

So is the Martinball experiment dead? on 18:28 - Sep 5 by jack247

That was within the first minute. I honestly couldn’t tell you how we’d been set up for the 45 seconds or so before it happened.

The change was really quick, I was really Suprised myself how quick he switched it.

He was literally calling Wood and pointing to the space in behind Laird, I seen him gesturing to a player on the far side that turned out to be Sorinola and made the arking symbol to him and then made the gesture of push up and then then the thumb up to him.

I had the feeling at the time that his eyes probably lit up with witnessing QPR turning up to play us on the front foot......as I said, when teams come to sit then this is when we struggle and it needs to be addressed with better movement further forward otherwise the defence and midfield have to recycle the ball more times than they would like and need too.

So is the Martinball experiment dead? on 21:04 - Sep 5 with 886 viewsKerouac

So is the Martinball experiment dead? on 03:12 - Sep 5 by Dr_Parnassus

I wish I could, people are in dreamland unfortunately and completely (intentionally) blind to what’s in front of them.

So all along when we were suggesting that we go long when needed, that all the short passing was pointless and counter productive, that we were having way too much safe possession and way too many passes…. and we were told that it’s his way and we should learn to deal with it because it isn’t changing….

Well now the narrative is that they were trying to do this all along.

I’d say “you couldn’t make it up” but people clearly and unashamedly are.

I like possession football, but if you're playing with a purpose (trying to create) you occasionally lose the ball.
If Man City have 70%+ possession, there is a good chance that they were still playing attacking football...it's just that they are so much stronger than their opposition, relatively, that they continually win the ball back quickly and make every spell of possession result in a shot/cross.
When we had 70%+ possession, given that we are not stronger than the rest of the division, you have to ask 'how are we getting 70%+ possession that regularly?'
...and the answer of course was that it was a combination of the way we set up, the tactics and the way the opposition set up to counter that... which resulted in us passing it around and around in circles in our own half between the defence and the midfield...width wasn't possible, our "wing-backs" were cast adrift in the attacking line and barely ever got a long pass up to them.
The plan was to tire out the opposition and play through the middle into the hole...the oppo just sat in and denied us on both counts.

Saturday was like a confession letter from Martin;
- Benda in goals
- Flat back 4
- a 4-5-1 shape
- Ollie cooper playing in the hole (Ntcham could have done that, Wolf could too, Congreve or Patterson)
- Piroe back up top
- ditching the goal-kick nonsense
- Benda being allowed to just clear it
- The defence being allowed to just clear it when needed

...all that was missing was genuine pace. Pick any 2 from Obafemi, Joseph & Whittaker instead of Sorinola and Patterson (maybe Patterson playing CAM instead of Cooper last season) ...and we would have improved further.

We could stick the 2020s equivalent of Nial Quin or John Fashanu up top and bang the ball forward religiously, aimlessly...and the Martin fans would still somehow make it make sense (to themselves at least)

Re: Swansea City fans (as opposed to Russell Martin fans)
Some of us saw it wasn't working early on, some of us took a little longer, at this moment the vast majority can see with their own eyes that Martinball is a failure and are just grateful that something has changed (whether he has been ordered to do it or it is one last desperate throw of the dice is irrelevant, to an extent)
[Post edited 5 Sep 2022 21:06]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss9VZ1FHxy0
Poll: Which manager should replace Russell Martin (2) ?

So is the Martinball experiment dead? on 21:22 - Sep 5 with 867 viewsDr_Parnassus

So is the Martinball experiment dead? on 16:38 - Sep 5 by magicdaps10

Changed after 40 seconds

So is the Martinball experiment dead? on 21:23 - Sep 5 with 864 viewsDr_Parnassus

So is the Martinball experiment dead? on 21:04 - Sep 5 by Kerouac

I like possession football, but if you're playing with a purpose (trying to create) you occasionally lose the ball.
If Man City have 70%+ possession, there is a good chance that they were still playing attacking football...it's just that they are so much stronger than their opposition, relatively, that they continually win the ball back quickly and make every spell of possession result in a shot/cross.
When we had 70%+ possession, given that we are not stronger than the rest of the division, you have to ask 'how are we getting 70%+ possession that regularly?'
...and the answer of course was that it was a combination of the way we set up, the tactics and the way the opposition set up to counter that... which resulted in us passing it around and around in circles in our own half between the defence and the midfield...width wasn't possible, our "wing-backs" were cast adrift in the attacking line and barely ever got a long pass up to them.
The plan was to tire out the opposition and play through the middle into the hole...the oppo just sat in and denied us on both counts.

Saturday was like a confession letter from Martin;
- Benda in goals
- Flat back 4
- a 4-5-1 shape
- Ollie cooper playing in the hole (Ntcham could have done that, Wolf could too, Congreve or Patterson)
- Piroe back up top
- ditching the goal-kick nonsense
- Benda being allowed to just clear it
- The defence being allowed to just clear it when needed

...all that was missing was genuine pace. Pick any 2 from Obafemi, Joseph & Whittaker instead of Sorinola and Patterson (maybe Patterson playing CAM instead of Cooper last season) ...and we would have improved further.

We could stick the 2020s equivalent of Nial Quin or John Fashanu up top and bang the ball forward religiously, aimlessly...and the Martin fans would still somehow make it make sense (to themselves at least)

Re: Swansea City fans (as opposed to Russell Martin fans)
Some of us saw it wasn't working early on, some of us took a little longer, at this moment the vast majority can see with their own eyes that Martinball is a failure and are just grateful that something has changed (whether he has been ordered to do it or it is one last desperate throw of the dice is irrelevant, to an extent)
[Post edited 5 Sep 2022 21:06]

Spot on.

“ We could stick the 2020s equivalent of Nial Quin or John Fashanu up top and bang the ball forward religiously, aimlessly...and the Martin fans would still somehow make it make sense (to themselves at least)”

And the above is so true it’s scary.

So is the Martinball experiment dead? on 21:49 - Sep 5 with 846 viewsmagicdaps10

So is the Martinball experiment dead? on 21:22 - Sep 5 by Dr_Parnassus

Changed after 40 seconds

At what time did he change the formation in Saturdays game?

I admit that my timing might have been off but he most certainly started with a back 3 and wing backs.

So is the Martinball experiment dead? on 22:29 - Sep 5 with 823 viewsDr_Parnassus

So is the Martinball experiment dead? on 21:49 - Sep 5 by magicdaps10

I admit that my timing might have been off but he most certainly started with a back 3 and wing backs.

He didn’t.

So is the Martinball experiment dead? on 23:17 - Sep 5 with 788 viewsjacaranda

I think we've been underestimating Mr Martin(give me a bit of hope here)
Play them badly, look like they were 1 hit wonders, keep hold of them!
Buy a few early, the big teams take a step back thinking we may not be the desperate sellers we've always been.
The new boys on loan, nobody saw coming.
Our first win after several massive mental setbacks,
Let's March up the table with our new style,that nobody saw coming because we told everybody we played a different way, which we can switch back we need to bamboozle a team.
I'm fully in
So is the Martinball experiment dead? on 05:44 - Sep 6 with 749 viewsvetchonian

So is the Martinball experiment dead? on 21:49 - Sep 5 by magicdaps10

he didn't change it and Cabango started on the left....his shirt pull was close to the West stand touchline...his header on the west stand side of the ground....Wood was further over towards the East maybe daps you need to stop watching from that box

So is the Martinball experiment dead? on 06:03 - Sep 6 with 744 viewsDr_Parnassus

So is the Martinball experiment dead? on 05:44 - Sep 6 by vetchonian

he didn't change it and Cabango started on the left....his shirt pull was close to the West stand touchline...his header on the west stand side of the ground....Wood was further over towards the East maybe daps you need to stop watching from that box

Yep.

I keep saying it, but the amount of people who leave a game and have absolutely no idea what they just saw, is staggering.

They either genuinely have no clue or simply see what they want to see. Confirmation bias.

I’ve never heard so much nonsense in all my life than on here recently where certain individuals say literally any old rubbish in order to prevent themselves from admitting that Martin has changed the approach to what many of us have been asking for - because his way wasn’t working, for the exact reasons we said.

So in this latest instance, we have someone insisting that 40 seconds into the match, the manager magically waves his arms about and we instantly became a back 4 and every player knew exactly that we were going to play long balls and direct passes to an extent we haven’t seen before under his reign.

No wonder the other board were ripping into Daps the other day. It’s getting embarrassing to read.

Martin was clearly at the edge of the cliff with his style of play. He had two options.

1. Continue the pig headed approach and jump and likely drown

2. Back away from the edge, swallow your pride and play a more sensible way.

He, thankfully, chose the latter.

So is the Martinball experiment dead? on 07:30 - Sep 6 with 718 viewsPawelAbbott

So is the Martinball experiment dead? on 23:17 - Sep 5 by jacaranda

I think we've been underestimating Mr Martin(give me a bit of hope here)
Play them badly, look like they were 1 hit wonders, keep hold of them!
Buy a few early, the big teams take a step back thinking we may not be the desperate sellers we've always been.
The new boys on loan, nobody saw coming.
Our first win after several massive mental setbacks,
Let's March up the table with our new style,that nobody saw coming because we told everybody we played a different way, which we can switch back we need to bamboozle a team.
I'm fully in

Maybe his plan has been to be crap for 12 months. Then no one looks at us as a big team and they no longer come here to defend deep.
Then, when we look absolutely dire, we switch formations. Play fast, attacking football and sweep to take the Title!!!
Martin is a genius after all!!
I'd better pop out and get a new hat for the Victory parade before they sell out.
So is the Martinball experiment dead? on 07:45 - Sep 6 with 713 viewsmagicdaps10

So is the Martinball experiment dead? on 22:29 - Sep 5 by Dr_Parnassus

He didn’t.

He definetly did!

I was there and seen it with my own eyes and other posters have said the same who were there and it was discussed with my colleagues at the time of the game.

So is the Martinball experiment dead? on 08:05 - Sep 6 with 690 viewsvetchonian

So is the Martinball experiment dead? on 07:45 - Sep 6 by magicdaps10

He definetly did!

I was there and seen it with my own eyes and other posters have said the same who were there and it was discussed with my colleagues at the time of the game.

Funny how the pundits and commentators saw it different?
The BBC posted 4-4-2 on their line up page at kick off.....like I said maybe the view form that box is not the best?
Many said on here Cabango sstarted on the right but he definately started on the left...

We all see things differently

So is the Martinball experiment dead? on 08:16 - Sep 6 with 684 viewsmagicdaps10

So is the Martinball experiment dead? on 08:05 - Sep 6 by vetchonian

The BBC posted 4-4-2 on their line up page at kick off.....like I said maybe the view form that box is not the best?
Many said on here Cabango sstarted on the right but he definately started on the left...

BBC quite regularly post strange formations before, during and after games.

If you were listening on the commentary then you obviously were not at the game but I can assure you without fail that they lined up with a 3 man defence and very quickly moved to a back 4.........its what happened.
Cabango started centrally the game central of a 3 and then obviously changed when the formation change happened....maybe that explains the mix up of where Cabango started.

As I said in one of my previous posts, I might have got the timing of the change wrong but we deffo started a back 3 and swiftly went to a back 4.
The view from the box is a superb view and certainly a better place to see things than watching the TV or listening to someone on the radio.

So is the Martinball experiment dead? on 08:37 - Sep 6 with 668 viewsDr_Parnassus

So is the Martinball experiment dead? on 07:45 - Sep 6 by magicdaps10

He definetly did!

Nope, you made it up - as you are being told by everyone.

So is the Martinball experiment dead? on 08:41 - Sep 6 with 662 viewsDr_Parnassus

So is the Martinball experiment dead? on 08:05 - Sep 6 by vetchonian

The guy is in la-la land.

But hey, we are missing the magic waving of the hand on 40 seconds that changed everything. The formation magically changed, all the players knew exactly how to change to a mixed and direct game focussing a lot on long balls, knew not to mess about with it at the back - all the weeks prep out the window and changed in an instant with the magic hand wave.

Like a managerial Shin Lim.

[Post edited 6 Sep 2022 8:54]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024