Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cooper 08:43 - May 30 with 8032 viewsHeadmaster

Reported compensation fee of £4.5 million. Hopefully Palace or whoever are still interested.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/play-final-headlines-
Cooper on 08:57 - May 30 with 4729 viewsonehunglow

Hopefully is the right word,Sir

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Cooper on 08:58 - May 30 with 4742 viewsjack247

Looks like he’s off. For the first time, if and when he leaves, I’m honestly not bothered either way.

Playoffs twice in two seasons is a superb achievement.
The football is dire to watch and we haven’t even been that effective with it recently.

I think I’m just about in favour of him going. Gut feeling is that he’ll struggle without Ayew.
Cooper on 09:00 - May 30 with 4714 viewstrampie

If he goes will he take some players with him ?
Roberts, Grimes, Cabango etc

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Cooper on 09:02 - May 30 with 4698 viewsonehunglow

Cooper on 08:58 - May 30 by jack247

Looks like he’s off. For the first time, if and when he leaves, I’m honestly not bothered either way.

The football is dire to watch and we haven’t even been that effective with it recently.

I think I’m just about in favour of him going. Gut feeling is that he’ll struggle without Ayew.

Or to out it another way,2 play off failures.2 chance of a missed promotion.
Any ambitious club would have jettisoned him.
It shows we have no ambition
Yanks out

Cooper on 09:07 - May 30 with 4697 viewsOptimisticJack

Cooper on 08:58 - May 30 by jack247

If Steve Cooper goes Ayew will be his first signing as a free agent in my opinion.

Optimisticjack

Cooper on 09:15 - May 30 with 4654 viewsjack247

Cooper on 09:02 - May 30 by onehunglow

Or to out it another way,2 play off failures.2 chance of a missed promotion.
Any ambitious club would have jettisoned him.
It shows we have no ambition
Yanks out

To put it another way again, our second and third best championship finishes ever.

We’d have been stupid to pay him off, whether it’s £4.5m or not, if he goes to Palace, it’ll earn us a few quid.

The difference between him and the likes of Martinez and Potter, though, playing style aside, is you felt we were building something under those two and would have improved if they’d stayed another season. I don’t get that feeling with Cooper.
Cooper on 09:18 - May 30 with 4621 viewsonehunglow

Cooper on 09:15 - May 30 by jack247

To put it another way again, our second and third best championship finishes ever.

We’d have been stupid to pay him off, whether it’s £4.5m or not, if he goes to Palace, it’ll earn us a few quid.

The difference between him and the likes of Martinez and Potter, though, playing style aside, is you felt we were building something under those two and would have improved if they’d stayed another season. I don’t get that feeling with Cooper.

Morning.It is failure 247.
However ,I agree with your 2nd and 3rd paragraphs

Cooper on 09:21 - May 30 with 4629 viewsowainglyndwr

I honestly think that he has done well with the lack of investment. ..
The board picked the 2 Americans which were injured in no time at all.
Apparently he/coops had 2 strikers lined up.

Look at brentford . A small club but good investment.
Login to get fewer ads

Cooper on 09:22 - May 30 with 4627 viewsjeza739

Yes the football has been dire on occasions but take a look at the squad. It's unlikely the likes of Woodman, Guehi, Gallagher, Brewster etc would have come here without Cooper. Look how dire our defending (especially at set pieces) was under Potter, but yes we were entertained but never looked like getting promotion.
Would we be different under Cooper if he had James and Mcburnie instead of a lge1 winger as a striker?
I dread to think where the current squad minus the Eng U/17 loanees would be under Potter.

Yes we want to see fast flowing 'swansalona' football but we also need to be careful what we wish for.
I imagine a number of Stoke fans would prefer pullisball to where they currently sit .
I'd much prefer the yanks to back Cooper and for him to stay and see what he can achieve with decent attacking options, but I suggest he knows he won't get that and will be off. Personally I wouldn't blame him
Cooper on 09:24 - May 30 with 4606 viewsonehunglow

Cooper on 09:21 - May 30 by owainglyndwr

I honestly think that he has done well with the lack of investment. ..
The board picked the 2 Americans which were injured in no time at all.
Apparently he/coops had 2 strikers lined up.

Look at brentford . A small club but good investment.

and one with Money behind them .

That is where we lack

Cooper on 09:33 - May 30 with 4585 viewstrampie

I think Cooper done well with what he had to work with, the football entertainment was dire mind you and having seen the Swans from just before the Toshack era in my case I must say it's been poor watching under Cooper for a club known historically being a 'footballing' side.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Cooper on 10:20 - May 30 with 4481 viewsBadlands

I have never liked Cooper ... style of play, failure to learn, too arrogant to adapt until its too late, blames everyone else for failures and take the credit for success.
With our squads of last year and more so this season we should have gained automatic promotion.
Unlucky with recalls and injuries but failed to develop young talent or an effective team.
We look like individuals thrown together.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Cooper on 10:22 - May 30 with 4476 viewsjasper_T

Cooper on 09:22 - May 30 by jeza739

Yes the football has been dire on occasions but take a look at the squad. It's unlikely the likes of Woodman, Guehi, Gallagher, Brewster etc would have come here without Cooper. Look how dire our defending (especially at set pieces) was under Potter, but yes we were entertained but never looked like getting promotion.
Would we be different under Cooper if he had James and Mcburnie instead of a lge1 winger as a striker?
I dread to think where the current squad minus the Eng U/17 loanees would be under Potter.

Yes we want to see fast flowing 'swansalona' football but we also need to be careful what we wish for.
I imagine a number of Stoke fans would prefer pullisball to where they currently sit .
I'd much prefer the yanks to back Cooper and for him to stay and see what he can achieve with decent attacking options, but I suggest he knows he won't get that and will be off. Personally I wouldn't blame him

He's definitely overrated but it's a bit much to call Ayew a League One winger imo.

Potter only had Dan James as we now think of him from February onwards, after window had shut. I remember the response he got here on his Championship debut against Birmingham when he was bashed around. October before he had his first standout game, and was in and out for a while after that. Matt Grimes and even Connor Roberts weren't established players when we kicked off, there was half a season of testing and tinkering before Potter could look at a squad that was arguably (if you squint) a little stronger than what Cooper was handed on day one.

Margetson has done a good job with set piece defending, no doubt.
Cooper on 10:51 - May 30 with 4422 viewsCatullus

Cooper on 10:22 - May 30 by jasper_T

He's definitely overrated but it's a bit much to call Ayew a League One winger imo.

Potter only had Dan James as we now think of him from February onwards, after window had shut. I remember the response he got here on his Championship debut against Birmingham when he was bashed around. October before he had his first standout game, and was in and out for a while after that. Matt Grimes and even Connor Roberts weren't established players when we kicked off, there was half a season of testing and tinkering before Potter could look at a squad that was arguably (if you squint) a little stronger than what Cooper was handed on day one.

Come on Jasp, you must know he meant Lowe, not Ayew. I sai this to you on the other thread, we are faced with the real possibility of going from promotion chasers to relegation fighters and I'll stand by that IF as we suspect Cooper leaves and we lose Ayew, Grimes and Roberts. The loan players are definitely gone and Routs is probably finished too. That's 6/7/8 players to find and that'd be after we find a new manager.

Ok that's w orse case scenario but if Palace do really want Cooper it could happen. We might still have Grimes and Roberts but the rest is fairly likely. Then we have to hope our owners will appoint a decent manager and let him get the players we'd need. That last bit, not so likely.
If, as someone has stated, Coops had 2 strikers lined up but the owners/board overuled him and brought in the USA players, that stinks. They may have directly cost us promotion. If we'dhad 2 strikers and Ayew and Lowe could play in their best positions we'd maybe have done much better. Who knows?

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Cooper on 11:05 - May 30 with 4395 viewsKeithHaynes

Whatever the compensation fee is it’s not four and a half million.
https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/news/55136/wednesday-talks-fo

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Cooper on 11:11 - May 30 with 4379 viewsjeza739

Cooper on 10:22 - May 30 by jasper_T

Lowe is the league one winger not Ayew! Ayew has carried the team in my opinion.
Cooper on 11:17 - May 30 with 4362 viewsjasper_T

Cooper on 11:11 - May 30 by jeza739

Lowe is the league one winger not Ayew! Ayew has carried the team in my opinion.

Nice for Cooper to have him then, Potter didn't get that luxury. He was reliant on McBurnie (who'd had one impressive half season at Barnsley playing off the left) and Courtney Baker-Richardson until Routs' contract issue was sorted in December.

Lowe's a good player. 14 goals nothing to sniff at for your second striker, 10th highest scorer in the division this season.
Cooper on 11:29 - May 30 with 4337 viewsDr_Winston

Cooper on 11:17 - May 30 by jasper_T

Nice for Cooper to have him then, Potter didn't get that luxury. He was reliant on McBurnie (who'd had one impressive half season at Barnsley playing off the left) and Courtney Baker-Richardson until Routs' contract issue was sorted in December.

Lowe's a good player. 14 goals nothing to sniff at for your second striker, 10th highest scorer in the division this season.

Both are true.

We'd never have got near the playoffs in either of the last two seasons without Ayew, and even then there are those who still can't or won't grasp how important he's been to us in that time.

Lowe has had a good debut season and a decent return in front of goal, especially considering the way the team plays.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Cooper on 12:13 - May 30 with 4257 viewsPatchesOHoulihan

Cooper on 11:11 - May 30 by jeza739

For all his individual moments of quality there is no way he has carried our team this season despite what tv would have you believe. In and out of games, ineffective in many.

This is Patches O'Houlihan saying "Take care of your balls, and they'll take care of you."

Cooper on 16:31 - May 30 with 4068 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Cooper on 12:13 - May 30 by PatchesOHoulihan

For all his individual moments of quality there is no way he has carried our team this season despite what tv would have you believe. In and out of games, ineffective in many.

If he wasn't "in & out of games" as you say he would be playing for a Prem side, because when he is good he is very good.
But that is what differentiates top players with the also rans, they play at a consistently higher standard, not drift in and out all the time.
When they don't keep on top in the Prem it really shows.
Cooper on 16:42 - May 30 with 4057 viewsDr_Winston

Cooper on 12:13 - May 30 by PatchesOHoulihan

17 goals and four assists in a side as tedious going forward as we are. Fairly certain if you tot up the points that contribution has earned us over the season then "carried" won't be too far from the mark.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Cooper on 16:46 - May 30 with 4052 viewsThornburyswan

Only 1 year left on his contract so £4.5M looks very unlikely to me but suspect we’ll do a deal & he’ll be off ski - for me the key here is sort it pronto & not let it drag on all summer.
Cooper on 16:49 - May 30 with 4027 viewsonehunglow

Cooper on 16:46 - May 30 by Thornburyswan

Only 1 year left on his contract so £4.5M looks very unlikely to me but suspect we’ll do a deal & he’ll be off ski - for me the key here is sort it pronto & not let it drag on all summer.

Amen.

Cooper on 17:17 - May 30 with 3991 viewsmajorraglan

All things considered, I think Cooper has done a tidy job. How many on here would have though the club was play off material at the start of the season? I thought mid table.

Regardless of what the fans think or want, football is by enlarge a results game. In terms of the owners (who may not give a toss about playing style) I’d imagine they would judge Cooper’s performance over the last 2 years based on the points accumulated and they’d have hoped for consolidation in the division and promotion to the PL. I’d imagine his brief was a competitive team, pushing for promotion, developing players in to more saleable assets as opposed to playing pretty footballs and triangles. Look at Pulis and Allardyce.

Going back to Steve Cooper, none of us know exactly what’s gone on, the amount of support he’s had and the limitations he’s had to work within. Against a background of selling some of the best players, probable budget cuts, having to use loan players, working with kids (albeit some are talented but they are still kids) he’s been pragmatic and delivered 2 consecutive seasons of play offs. Fans have criticised the style of football, substitutions, formations but he’s got the club to the play offs. When the club came down from the PL, there were real concerns as to the way things could go, debts, tumble through the league like the last time etc but that hasn’t happened and the club has stabilised and been competitive.

Moving forward with no parachute payments to support revenue, next seasons manager is going to be working with a very tight budget and will be competing against 6 clubs still receiving parachute payments. I suspect the team will be made up of youngsters and journeymen which is why Cooper, (who has a pedigree of working with kids) was given the job. Next season is going to be tough.
Cooper on 17:32 - May 30 with 3972 viewsKilkennyjack

Cooper on 17:17 - May 30 by majorraglan

All things considered, I think Cooper has done a tidy job. How many on here would have though the club was play off material at the start of the season? I thought mid table.

Regardless of what the fans think or want, football is by enlarge a results game. In terms of the owners (who may not give a toss about playing style) I’d imagine they would judge Cooper’s performance over the last 2 years based on the points accumulated and they’d have hoped for consolidation in the division and promotion to the PL. I’d imagine his brief was a competitive team, pushing for promotion, developing players in to more saleable assets as opposed to playing pretty footballs and triangles. Look at Pulis and Allardyce.

Going back to Steve Cooper, none of us know exactly what’s gone on, the amount of support he’s had and the limitations he’s had to work within. Against a background of selling some of the best players, probable budget cuts, having to use loan players, working with kids (albeit some are talented but they are still kids) he’s been pragmatic and delivered 2 consecutive seasons of play offs. Fans have criticised the style of football, substitutions, formations but he’s got the club to the play offs. When the club came down from the PL, there were real concerns as to the way things could go, debts, tumble through the league like the last time etc but that hasn’t happened and the club has stabilised and been competitive.

Moving forward with no parachute payments to support revenue, next seasons manager is going to be working with a very tight budget and will be competing against 6 clubs still receiving parachute payments. I suspect the team will be made up of youngsters and journeymen which is why Cooper, (who has a pedigree of working with kids) was given the job. Next season is going to be tough.

Good post.

Great opportunity for our high multi year investment Cat A Academy to step up and deliver.
Right ?

Beware of the Risen People

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024