Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why do fans of Wales' national team have so little pride for their country? 17:53 - Apr 18 with 5826 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

I discovered earlier today that over 50% of Wales' players who featured in their most recent match against Czech Republic were not born in Wales.

Seven of the thirteen (54.8%) players were born in England. Not only that - these English footballers are limited in their talent and ability. England could put perhaps 20+ matchday squads together before some of these players would finally be considered for selection.

I read and hear a lot of non-Welsh football fans ridicule Wales as "England B", however quite frankly it is more like "England T" or "England U".

How many other international teams are this desperate? Perhaps Jamaica? Even the Scot's aren't this desperate (although their best player is English as well).

As someone who follows and supports both England and Wales, it doesn't really bother me. However I'd be interested to hear the opinions of those who regularly express a strong dislike of England. How can you justify your dislike of England when your national team (and club side) is dominated by English footballers?

Poll: Should MP for Swansea East Carolyn Harris resign?

Why do fans of Wales' national team have so little pride for their country? on 12:43 - Apr 19 with 916 viewsChief

Why do fans of Wales' national team have so little pride for their country? on 12:28 - Apr 19 by A_Fans_Dad

Are you a "football" fan or a Swansea/Wales fan?
Do you watch any football other than Swansea and Wales?

Why is that an either / or question?

I'm a football fan and support Swansea and Wales. I watch other football games as a neutral observer yes.

Poll: Rate the ref's performance today

Why do fans of Wales' national team have so little pride for their country? on 12:46 - Apr 19 with 910 viewsChief

Why do fans of Wales' national team have so little pride for their country? on 12:17 - Apr 19 by Lohengrin

Cheering on a family member when you’re not competing yourself, what’s not to understand?

I can remember all of us in school rooting for Scotland in ‘78. It would have been odd not to.

I understand that. That's not what the discussion is about though. Familial ties is your reason for cheering on other countries.

The conversation i was having made no mention of such a reason.

Why do fans of Wales' national team have so little pride for their country? on 12:48 - Apr 19 with 908 viewsraynor94

Why do fans of Wales' national team have so little pride for their country? on 12:43 - Apr 19 by Chief

I'm a football fan and support Swansea and Wales. I watch other football games as a neutral observer yes.

You have no feelings to be part of the United Kingdom? do you watch the Olympics, Lions tours?

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Why do fans of Wales' national team have so little pride for their country? on 12:51 - Apr 19 with 903 viewsChief

Why do fans of Wales' national team have so little pride for their country? on 12:48 - Apr 19 by raynor94

You have no feelings to be part of the United Kingdom? do you watch the Olympics, Lions tours?

Not interested in athletics so I'll only watch the football mainly at the Olympics.

No the lions tours do nothing for me apart from being a showpiece spectacle friendlies of top class rugby. Nothing more than the Barbarians to me. We have our own national rugby team, no need for any others.

Why do fans of Wales' national team have so little pride for their country? on 12:55 - Apr 19 with 882 viewsonehunglow

Why do fans of Wales' national team have so little pride for their country? on 12:48 - Apr 19 by raynor94

It's a good point Ray.

Being inward looking and narrow minded is no longer for me.

I can see why the English see us as they do. It hurts really,but it really is true. We are insecure and have a massive inferiority complex as a country.
If England win,so what? Really.

I do think however English people be mindful when they say "england" when they are referring to the UK as a whole. I do feel many think Scotland and Wales pretty irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Why do fans of Wales' national team have so little pride for their country? on 13:01 - Apr 19 with 884 viewsbuilthjack

I support Swansea and Wales too.
I support the UK at the olympics.

Supporting Wales and England is like supporting Swansea with Man Utd or Liverpool etc as a second option.

Got it?

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Why do fans of Wales' national team have so little pride for their country? on 13:18 - Apr 19 with 875 viewsraynor94

Why do fans of Wales' national team have so little pride for their country? on 13:01 - Apr 19 by builthjack

I support Swansea and Wales too.
I support the UK at the olympics.

Supporting Wales and England is like supporting Swansea with Man Utd or Liverpool etc as a second option.

Got it?

It's not about supporting England, I enjoy watching all the home countries, and would want any of the four to beat any continental teams they are playing.

Maybe it's because I identify as being British as well as Welsh.

Why do fans of Wales' national team have so little pride for their country? on 13:20 - Apr 19 with 874 viewsChief

Why do fans of Wales' national team have so little pride for their country? on 13:18 - Apr 19 by raynor94

It's not about supporting England, I enjoy watching all the home countries, and would want any of the four to beat any continental teams they are playing.

Yea don't understand that. They are totally separate footballing entities.

Login to get fewer ads

Why do fans of Wales' national team have so little pride for their country? on 13:39 - Apr 19 with 863 viewsbuilthjack

What with the "Anyone but England" amongst the rugger lot?

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Why do fans of Wales' national team have so little pride for their country? on 13:46 - Apr 19 with 861 viewsChief

Why do fans of Wales' national team have so little pride for their country? on 13:39 - Apr 19 by builthjack

What with the "Anyone but England" amongst the rugger lot?

Im anyone but England in football, just same as I'm anyone but Cardiff.

They're our neighbours and rivals. It's natural.

Why do fans of Wales' national team have so little pride for their country? on 13:57 - Apr 19 with 852 viewsbuilthjack

Why do fans of Wales' national team have so little pride for their country? on 13:46 - Apr 19 by Chief

Im anyone but England in football, just same as I'm anyone but Cardiff.

They're our neighbours and rivals. It's natural.

Indeed Chief

Why do fans of Wales' national team have so little pride for their country? on 14:05 - Apr 19 with 842 viewsonehunglow

When British people emigrate to the likes of Australia ,the very thing guaranteed to raise hackles is going on about the country they left far behind. Normally ends up with,"if you love it that much then "fark off back".

Why do fans of Wales' national team have so little pride for their country? on 14:07 - Apr 19 with 852 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Why do fans of Wales' national team have so little pride for their country? on 12:43 - Apr 19 by Chief

Did I say it was an either or question, I didn't think so?
I was trying establish if you watch the sport for the sake of the sport or are only interested in watching the Swans or Wales.
You say "I watch other football games as a neutral observer", so you have no actual interest in who wins?
But later you say "Im anyone but England in football, just same as I'm anyone but Cardiff."
So it is an intentional bias, even though Cardiff are Welsh, you would still root for any other team regardless of nationality.
Triballism at it's worst.
Why do fans of Wales' national team have so little pride for their country? on 14:08 - Apr 19 with 852 viewsChief

Why do fans of Wales' national team have so little pride for their country? on 13:57 - Apr 19 by builthjack

Indeed Chief

Same goes for the other British countries. Although not as much as our nearest neighbours.

Why do fans of Wales' national team have so little pride for their country? on 14:21 - Apr 19 with 834 viewsonehunglow

Why do fans of Wales' national team have so little pride for their country? on 14:07 - Apr 19 by A_Fans_Dad

I was trying establish if you watch the sport for the sake of the sport or are only interested in watching the Swans or Wales.
You say "I watch other football games as a neutral observer", so you have no actual interest in who wins?
But later you say "Im anyone but England in football, just same as I'm anyone but Cardiff."
So it is an intentional bias, even though Cardiff are Welsh, you would still root for any other team regardless of nationality.

Narrow life ten
Swansea and Wales

I like ,in no order of preference

Ospreys
Montreal Canadienes Ice Hockey
Glamorgan
All Blacks (apart from when they play Wales)
Tranmere Rovers (nearest club to me)
Widnes RLFC

apart from Wales and Swansea

Many do not even support the Wales national rugby team and enjoy it when they lose. This site was full of those posts. So,even Welsh at home do not support their own country. Think the big picture Builthy. Recall the wife beating,pysshead,arrogant Welsh rugby players. This was a dump OP,make no mistake

Why do fans of Wales' national team have so little pride for their country? on 14:33 - Apr 19 with 835 viewsReslovenSwan1

Why do fans of Wales' national team have so little pride for their country? on 14:21 - Apr 19 by onehunglow

Narrow life ten
Swansea and Wales

I like ,in no order of preference

Ospreys
Montreal Canadienes Ice Hockey
Glamorgan
All Blacks (apart from when they play Wales)
Tranmere Rovers (nearest club to me)
Widnes RLFC

apart from Wales and Swansea

Many do not even support the Wales national rugby team and enjoy it when they lose. This site was full of those posts. So,even Welsh at home do not support their own country. Think the big picture Builthy. Recall the wife beating,pysshead,arrogant Welsh rugby players. This was a dump OP,make no mistake

Local teams or local countries if there is a close relationshi always want their neighbours to lose. Liverpool and Man Utd for example NZ and Australia. It s a simple human characteristic. For some i it a "proof of an inferiority complex" to fit a preconceived agenda,

The joy of sport has alway been of your tem winning and your neigbour not doing so well. Its part of the fun no more than that. The amusement of struggle of others..

Swansea laughd at the struggles of Cardiff under the Jenkinisata regime. It was so easy for the Swans. Reading their tortured forum was a joyous exerience with no real hrm done.

Wise sage since Toshack era

Why do fans of Wales' national team have so little pride for their country? on 14:38 - Apr 19 with 832 viewsChief

Why do fans of Wales' national team have so little pride for their country? on 14:07 - Apr 19 by A_Fans_Dad

Tribalism at the best. Sporting rivalries are fantastic.

But yes in fairness the point i made was that i wouldn't randomly want any other national football team to win nor club side (besides local league / Welsh league teams). Unless it's off benefit to the Swans on that particular day like wanting Watford to lose.

But for a day i will want whoevers playing to beat our rivals yes.
[Post edited 19 Apr 2021 14:57]

Why do fans of Wales' national team have so little pride for their country? on 14:39 - Apr 19 with 822 viewsonehunglow

Why do fans of Wales' national team have so little pride for their country? on 14:33 - Apr 19 by ReslovenSwan1

Local teams or local countries if there is a close relationshi always want their neighbours to lose. Liverpool and Man Utd for example NZ and Australia. It s a simple human characteristic. For some i it a "proof of an inferiority complex" to fit a preconceived agenda,

The joy of sport has alway been of your tem winning and your neigbour not doing so well. Its part of the fun no more than that. The amusement of struggle of others..

Swansea laughd at the struggles of Cardiff under the Jenkinisata regime. It was so easy for the Swans. Reading their tortured forum was a joyous exerience with no real hrm done.

fair comment

Why do fans of Wales' national team have so little pride for their country? on 15:23 - Apr 19 with 801 viewsKilkennyjack

Why do fans of Wales' national team have so little pride for their country? on 10:31 - Apr 19 by raynor94

No it's being British, and hoping the home Countries beat continental teams.

I don't know how old you are, but I can remember 1966 and everybody celebrating England winning the world cup

1990 world cup was the very last time many people in Cymru followed the progress of England.

Nobody renembers 1966. You would have to be at least 60 ffs.

Once the Home Internationals got binned in 1984, then England became like any other team.
England blamed Wales and the north of Ireland for holding back their march to global dominance.
Anyone know how its going for them ?

🤷‍♂️

Beware of the Risen People

Why do fans of Wales' national team have so little pride for their country? on 15:33 - Apr 19 with 802 viewsraynor94

Why do fans of Wales' national team have so little pride for their country? on 15:23 - Apr 19 by Kilkennyjack

1990 world cup was the very last time many people in Cymru followed the progress of England.

Nobody renembers 1966. You would have to be at least 60 ffs.

Once the Home Internationals got binned in 1984, then England became like any other team.
England blamed Wales and the north of Ireland for holding back their march to global dominance.
Anyone know how its going for them ?

🤷‍♂️

So what age does that make you?

Why do fans of Wales' national team have so little pride for their country? on 16:29 - Apr 19 with 788 viewsKilkennyjack

Why do fans of Wales' national team have so little pride for their country? on 15:33 - Apr 19 by raynor94

So what age does that make you?

If you must know then 105 years old.

Ps.
This might not be true .... 🤷‍♂️

Why do fans of Wales' national team have so little pride for their country? on 16:33 - Apr 19 with 788 viewspencoedjack

Why do fans of Wales' national team have so little pride for their country? on 13:18 - Apr 19 by raynor94

As most know I am very pro union.

I still want England to lose when they play.

Do Welsh Swansea fans cheer the Basseys on due to them being another Welsh club?
Why do fans of Wales' national team have so little pride for their country? on 17:23 - Apr 19 with 767 viewsonehunglow

How do welsh people believe they are perceived by other nations .?

Why do fans of Wales' national team have so little pride for their country? on 17:47 - Apr 19 with 761 viewsThornburyswan

Interesting debate - I moved out of God’s country when I went to Uni & other than family/friend visits, some holidays & work commitments have lived the English side of the bridge since 1980. Lived all over the UK but most recently settled 5 miles from the old bridge in Thornbury, decent sized Welsh contingent here too.

Hasn’t changed my ‘Welshness’ one bit probably increased it if anything my youngest daughter (now 28) supports the Swans & Wales despite being born in Leicester & never lived in Wales.

Beyond the obvious Swans & Wales (plus Glamorgan & the Ospreys) support I’ll happily follow any Welsh competitor from the Olympics, Darts, Cycling, Bake-off basically anything that supports the country - happy to be seen as a Brit when we compete as such in the Olympics, Worlds, etc but will always take particular interest in Welsh competitors e.g. Jade Jones, Geraint Thomas, Alys Thomas etc
Why do fans of Wales' national team have so little pride for their country? on 18:16 - Apr 19 with 751 viewsKilkennyjack

Why do fans of Wales' national team have so little pride for their country? on 17:23 - Apr 19 by onehunglow

How do welsh people believe they are perceived by other nations .?

The women are all beautiul.
The man are all handsome.
The coastline magnificent.
The mountains are incredible.
The language is a treasure.
The sports teams fantastic to support.
The greatest of parliamentarians.
Feared by no nation.
Huge cultural festivals.
European to the core.
John Charles.

But their bloody neighbours .... well thats another thing ...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024