Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hello and a bit on Reece Grego-Cox 10:49 - Mar 11 with 8795 viewsJordanFoster

Firstly, hello! I've been looking for a QPR forum for a little while and for some reason I've been sending emails back and forth between the Fans Network team about not being able to logon.. but finally I have arrived.

To mark my arrival I wrote this on Reece Grego-Cox last night when I was feeling slightly worse for wear, it's not great but it might give those who haven't seen him some insight.

I'm on twitter too at @JordanJFoster so feel free to follow me on there... Always keen to hear everyones views on QPR.

The piece on Reece is below and can be found here: The piece can be found here: https://jordanjamesfoster.wordpress.com/2015/03/10/bit-of-background-on-reece-gr

I first noticed him on a freezing cold Tuesday night in November 2013. The QPR Under-21’s, then managed by Marc Bircham, were playing AFC Wimbledon in the Under-21 Premier League Cup. As agreed with the owner of West London Sport — David Mcintyre — if I was going to cover them, I would have to cover them properly and for every game. This meant getting two trains and buses to Woking FC’s Kingfield Stadium after a long day of pointless lectures.

Tom Hitchcock stealed the show that night, as he so often did at that level. A stunning hat-trick, one of the goals being an absolute peach. Popping the ball up in the air first-time with his chest before spinning 180 degrees and bicycle kicking the ball past the beleaguered AFC Wimbledon keeper — who had already conceded three that night. Hitchcock was hauled off with about 10 minutes remaining and replaced by a diminutive figure, who judging by his body language was a little nervous and his face was rather young.

Within minutes of coming on the big, bullish centre-half had taken a bit of the substitute when going for the ball. That was to be expected though, the defender had been embarrassed by the class and guile of Tom Hitchcock all night, he certainly wasn’t going to be made a fool by his young replacement.

A few moments later the ball was punted away from the Rangers goal and was being collected by the brute of a defender. Out of nowhere, at 100mph, the pint-size forward smashed him sending him sprawling across the floor with a fair but whole-hearted shoulder barge. I remember sitting up thinking “I like that, I like that a lot!”.

The name Reece Grego-Cox has stuck with me since then and I’ve been following his career closely. Another substitute that night was a little known right-back by the name of Darnell Furlong who replaced Samba Diakite for one of his first run-outs.
The Under-21 leagues can have a lot of big egos in it, these are players that probably won’t make it, but are still paid vast amounts of money. To see a 17-year-old come in and not be phased by any of it shows you a lot about the type of man Reece is. Those that were there on Saturday would have seen Jan Vertonghen hurl abuse towards the youngster after he was nearly caught by one of his challenges. From what I know, that wouldn’t have bothered him at all. That’s his game.

For those that haven’t seen Reece Grego-Cox play, he’s a small but stocky forward and I mean really stocky. Despite being one of the youngest in league, he doesn’t look out of place at all and the physical aspect is a massive part of his game. He also happens to be lightning quick.

Last year I compared him to Wayne Rooney on Twitter in the way he played, he’s got so much energy and strength he is a nightmare for defenders. He won’t give them a moments rest and those 21 or 22-year-olds who want to just turn up and put on an impressive display for the plethora of scouts certainly don’t want to be up against Grego-Cox — he’s clincal and deadly when given the opportunity. The energy and competitiveness he plays with is very unique.

He was given far more chances to progress once Peter Skapetis left the club, remember the uproar? Well Reece, who replaced him in the Under-21’s has gone from strength to strength whilst Skapetis has done nothing of note. The club took a lot of criticism for that, but the difference between the two players is now astronomical.

I’ve watched Grego-Cox play on the wing a number of times too and he looks more than comfortable there. He isn’t just a “full effort, limited ability” player that tears around after the ball, he’s got fantastic technical ability for his age. His touch is very good and he’s got more than enough skill to give a full-back a torrid time — which he did fairly often.

It says a lot about him that he never hides on the pitch either, it can be easy for a young player to let the game pass him by but even when things aren’t going his way, he demands the ball. He always wants to make things happen and is very positive.

The only thing negative I would have would be his aggression. Or would have been his aggression. By his own admission it was something he needed to curb and over the last couple of years he certainly has done that. But you don’t want to take too much of that side out of his game, that’s what sets him apart.

Having been picked up at the age of 13 from Bedfont Sports after scoring 70 goals in one season and collecting the club’s first ever Golden Boot award, he’s impressed every coach he has played under at the club. Reece has also represented Ireland from Under-17 level and is on course to be picked for an Under-21 squad in the not too distant future. His current contract with QPR runs until 2017.

Current Under-21 boss Steve Gallen thinks there are comparisons to be made between Reece and prolific first-team forward Charlie Austin. So much so, Gallen and Grego-Cox have sat down together to study the runs Austin makes in a game so Reece can try emulate them.

“Reece is a lot like Charlie,” he said.

“They are tenacious, they cause problems for defenders and they can score goals. They won’t give you a moments rest.

“Like Charlie has done at times for the first team, Reece creates a goal out of nothing.

“Both of them play off instinct, look at Charlie’s goal at Southampton. That was instinct; he just did it without thinking.

“Reece does the same, he can win you games that you don’t deserve to win just by playing off his instinct.

He’s been looked after very well by the club and is held in extremely high-regard by the coaching staff, he’s from a brilliantly supportive family and I have often seen his parents at the games at the EDS game, which take place on the middle of a weekday.

Reece continued to be a credit to himself, family and the club when he spent the night before he was due to fly to Dubai with Jac Rush, a 17-year-old supporter who suffered a stroke recently. He gave Jac a signed ball on behalf of the club and spoke football with him at length.

He’s young and he’s raw but he’s also supremely gifted. The best thing Rangers’ fans can do is to give him time, he might need to go out on-loan next year and get some more first-team experience, he might need two years.

But say it quietly, QPR fans might have a gem in the ranks. Someone they can be properly excited about.
Hello and a bit on Reece Grego-Cox on 15:20 - Mar 11 with 2591 viewssimmo

I appreciate you might be towing the party line a little here Jordan, quoting Dave Mc word for word in some respects, but you won't be able to convince me that Onyewu was a better option than Ehmer (or Luke Young for that matter), or that YSY wouldn't have benefitted from playing ahead of BAE when fit, or Keane, Maiga, Chevanton or even nobody (Watford away) were better options than a youth team striker. We had Harriman away on loan whilst picking Aaron Hughes as right wing back FFS.

The recent inclusion of people like Doughty, Greco-Cox and Furlong show that whilst maybe not at the level to play in the 1st team reguarly, we do and did have options at youth level to be called upon in an emergency. Options that would have been far more commited, far cheaper and with more inherent fan support than the senior jokers that played in their place, usually out of position.

( I don't want to detract from your original post btw, which as above, is great to read!)
[Post edited 11 Mar 2015 15:33]

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Hello and a bit on Reece Grego-Cox on 15:32 - Mar 11 with 2571 viewsJordanFoster

Hello and a bit on Reece Grego-Cox on 15:20 - Mar 11 by simmo

I appreciate you might be towing the party line a little here Jordan, quoting Dave Mc word for word in some respects, but you won't be able to convince me that Onyewu was a better option than Ehmer (or Luke Young for that matter), or that YSY wouldn't have benefitted from playing ahead of BAE when fit, or Keane, Maiga, Chevanton or even nobody (Watford away) were better options than a youth team striker. We had Harriman away on loan whilst picking Aaron Hughes as right wing back FFS.

The recent inclusion of people like Doughty, Greco-Cox and Furlong show that whilst maybe not at the level to play in the 1st team reguarly, we do and did have options at youth level to be called upon in an emergency. Options that would have been far more commited, far cheaper and with more inherent fan support than the senior jokers that played in their place, usually out of position.

( I don't want to detract from your original post btw, which as above, is great to read!)
[Post edited 11 Mar 2015 15:33]

Christ, I'm certainly not agreeing with Dave Mc because he's given me a chance and all that. He's an exceptional journo who has helped me enormously, but there's some things that I agree with him on (like the youth policy) and other things I don't.

I'm not sure how you can compare Harriman to Aaron Hughes, if Harriman has half the career that Hughes has had he will have done very well. The difference between the two is astounding.

Onyewu is still playing in the Championship and Ehmer is very good out onloan in League 1 & 2. So again they are miles apart.

Doughty, Grego-Cox and Furlong have done well given the circumstances but youth teamers are very trendy at the minute and no-one can be brought in to aid you in the Premier League like last year. Perhaps if we were in the position to do so cover would have been brought in, however as that's not the case these young lads are getting a well-deserved chance.
Hello and a bit on Reece Grego-Cox on 15:41 - Mar 11 with 2553 viewsjamois

Hello Jordan, nice to hear proper insight into these younger lads. A couple of points not already made. Firstly, shoot your sub-ed, beginning of 2nd para "Hitchcock stealed"?? I'm a pedant, cannot help it. Secondly, I'm amazed nobody on here has asked you yet what your favourite cheese is. This needs to be disclosed.

Poll: What's our back 4 for Wembley?

Hello and a bit on Reece Grego-Cox on 15:41 - Mar 11 with 2551 viewssimmo

Hello and a bit on Reece Grego-Cox on 15:32 - Mar 11 by JordanFoster

Christ, I'm certainly not agreeing with Dave Mc because he's given me a chance and all that. He's an exceptional journo who has helped me enormously, but there's some things that I agree with him on (like the youth policy) and other things I don't.

I'm not sure how you can compare Harriman to Aaron Hughes, if Harriman has half the career that Hughes has had he will have done very well. The difference between the two is astounding.

Onyewu is still playing in the Championship and Ehmer is very good out onloan in League 1 & 2. So again they are miles apart.

Doughty, Grego-Cox and Furlong have done well given the circumstances but youth teamers are very trendy at the minute and no-one can be brought in to aid you in the Premier League like last year. Perhaps if we were in the position to do so cover would have been brought in, however as that's not the case these young lads are getting a well-deserved chance.

I am not comparing Hughes and Harriman directly, to do so would be unfair, but Hughes was never a right wing back and as we have seen with Ramsey in general, the difference when playing players in their natural positions is massive. I would rather have a youth teamer as cover/3rd choice than an ageing pro playing out of position, I don't care what kind of a career the old guy had.

Ehmer has not had a chance at Championship level (other than a brief appearance against Boro, where he looked good). Also the experience excuse is shown up by other youth teamers looking good on their league debuts. It won't work every time, but neither will playing Luke Young at CB or playing Andrew Johnson on the right wing.
[Post edited 11 Mar 2015 16:01]

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Hello and a bit on Reece Grego-Cox on 15:58 - Mar 11 with 2529 viewsJordanFoster

Hello and a bit on Reece Grego-Cox on 15:41 - Mar 11 by simmo

I am not comparing Hughes and Harriman directly, to do so would be unfair, but Hughes was never a right wing back and as we have seen with Ramsey in general, the difference when playing players in their natural positions is massive. I would rather have a youth teamer as cover/3rd choice than an ageing pro playing out of position, I don't care what kind of a career the old guy had.

Ehmer has not had a chance at Championship level (other than a brief appearance against Boro, where he looked good). Also the experience excuse is shown up by other youth teamers looking good on their league debuts. It won't work every time, but neither will playing Luke Young at CB or playing Andrew Johnson on the right wing.
[Post edited 11 Mar 2015 16:01]

No I agree, in fact I agree with everything you said in that post. It's just that I can see why Redknapp did what he did also. But dont get me wrong I'd love a young team that have all come through the ranks.

Hopefully with the current structure now in place this can happen!
Hello and a bit on Reece Grego-Cox on 16:52 - Mar 11 with 2477 viewsganjR

Hello and a bit on Reece Grego-Cox on 15:58 - Mar 11 by JordanFoster

No I agree, in fact I agree with everything you said in that post. It's just that I can see why Redknapp did what he did also. But dont get me wrong I'd love a young team that have all come through the ranks.

Hopefully with the current structure now in place this can happen!

Hi, Jordan.
Good read and insight into the youth sides.
Without going into a long message (I was going to give my 2 bobs worth on our youngsters etc).
Can I ask about this young Finnish winger we have? I know he's very young, but have heard good things about him.
Also, a view on Manning, who many see as the next big hope.
Thanks.
Hello and a bit on Reece Grego-Cox on 17:11 - Mar 11 with 2454 viewsJordanFoster

Hello and a bit on Reece Grego-Cox on 16:52 - Mar 11 by ganjR

Hi, Jordan.
Good read and insight into the youth sides.
Without going into a long message (I was going to give my 2 bobs worth on our youngsters etc).
Can I ask about this young Finnish winger we have? I know he's very young, but have heard good things about him.
Also, a view on Manning, who many see as the next big hope.
Thanks.

Hi mate,

I know a few people on Twitter stake a claim over players or give some big in depth view on them without ever actually seeing them play. I don't tend to do that and haven't actually seen Manning or Hamalainen play.

I do know Hamalainen is a second-year scholar, still very young but has broken into Steve Gallen's EDS side - he's also been called up to represent Finlands U18s a few times. Oh and he plays fullback I think.

With regards to Manning he's still adjusting, this could be a signing similar to Donaldson (albeit with less first team experience) so may take time. But playing wise I have no real clue what either are like!

Sorry!
Hello and a bit on Reece Grego-Cox on 18:09 - Mar 11 with 2392 viewsganjR

Hello and a bit on Reece Grego-Cox on 17:11 - Mar 11 by JordanFoster

Hi mate,

I know a few people on Twitter stake a claim over players or give some big in depth view on them without ever actually seeing them play. I don't tend to do that and haven't actually seen Manning or Hamalainen play.

I do know Hamalainen is a second-year scholar, still very young but has broken into Steve Gallen's EDS side - he's also been called up to represent Finlands U18s a few times. Oh and he plays fullback I think.

With regards to Manning he's still adjusting, this could be a signing similar to Donaldson (albeit with less first team experience) so may take time. But playing wise I have no real clue what either are like!

Sorry!

No, don't apologise mate.
I appreciate the honesty.
I saw Donaldson at Livi and was a bit suprised that we signed him. He could grow into a very good player but has the bambi on ice syndrome and Scougall was the player with the big future in that team.
Obviously hope he does well and for us.
Login to get fewer ads

Hello and a bit on Reece Grego-Cox on 18:16 - Mar 11 with 2381 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Let's hope he's more Kevin Gallen than Antonio German.
Hello and a bit on Reece Grego-Cox on 21:19 - Mar 11 with 2300 viewsBrightonhoop

Joe Gallen too was brilliant with the youngsters a few short years back. Different times now. Kevin Gallen could not have been more unlucky with his knee injury as others have noted, he would have flown sky high..,,

Brilliant piece mind, really good to get an insight. Good to hear also that Rio is doing his bit, must be very good motivationally for the youngsters to have him and Sir Les around, and getting the opportunities for first team football with saggy chops gone and CR calling those decisions.

Welcome, however Jordan you have dodged the cheese bullet 3 times already. It is tradition on LFW for new posters to declare a favourite cheese. We value such things highly also, as you will see next Xmas, when the annual favourite cheese thread get's rolled out of the yard.

So, again, great first post, but it is time to declare a favourite cheese or a sheer hatred of cheese altogether. It's common courtesy 'round 'ere....
Hello and a bit on Reece Grego-Cox on 07:49 - Mar 12 with 2234 viewsqprmeath

Welcome Jordan to the best Qpr forum. No use of the word "baller" allowed though
Hello and a bit on Reece Grego-Cox on 08:04 - Mar 12 with 2217 viewsDiscodroids

hello jordan and welcome to the cult of LFW..

can i have your opinion on josh laurent ?, do you think he has the minerals to make it at at least championship level, and do you think letting him go was a mistake.

also my main hope frankie sutherland seems to have done a lord lucan.

where you around for peter skapetis, if so did you rate him at all?

thanks guvnor
[Post edited 12 Mar 2015 8:05]

".... You are the... Duke of New York... You're A-Number One!".

Hello and a bit on Reece Grego-Cox on 09:46 - Mar 12 with 2161 viewsQPunkR

Cheese??!

QPR - "shit but local"

Hello and a bit on Reece Grego-Cox on 09:46 - Mar 12 with 2161 viewsJordanFoster

I know Rio takes a lot of flak, but I quite like him. I can't think of many better players to make your debut alongside if you were a young right-back like Darnell Furlong.

On the topic of first-teamers helping youngsters out, Esteban Granero was really, really good with them. If he was driving out of the training ground and saw them walking to get public transport he'd always give them all a lift home - despite it often being quite out of his way. He was also very good on the pitch with the young midfielders (like Sutherland) who he'd often give little bits of advice and tips too about their game. Despite him not really performing at QPR, his ability is obvious for all to see so I'm sure he has a few words of wisdom.

I was around for Skapetis and I really didn't rate him. I couldn't see what all the fuss was about. If things didn't go his way early on he rarely fancied it. His attitude wasn't the best either, I think he might have been another one being told things by an agent because he was nowhere near as good as he thought. But he got a move to Stoke, good luck to him. He hasn't done much there in about a year but he might start, he's nearly 20 now I think so he has to make an impression at some point.

I like Frankie, I really hope he makes it and has a career in the game I'm not sure that will be with QPR though. He's been unlucky with injuries and fitness but hopefully he can start to put that behind him. He's Rangers through and through and is a really decent bloke so fingers crossed something can come off for him. His injuries seem to have effected him when I have seen him this year but that was during his 'comeback', hopefully now they are fully behind him.

Josh Laurent is a funny one, he's a good player. A very good player. I can see why he went to Brentford at the time, he might have a better chance of breaking in there but he was involved around first-team training and the step-up in midfielders between the two clubs is enormous. So he can't really have too many complaints. Unless, he's thinking long term then maybe I can understand why he left, as Brentford are in QPR's league for the Under-21's. Truthfully, I don't think he will make it as a regular Championship midfielder.

I have dodged the cheese bullet haven't I? I'll go Camembert, but only when fried and with some cranberry sauce. Is that allowed?
Hello and a bit on Reece Grego-Cox on 09:52 - Mar 12 with 2144 viewsDiscodroids

Hello and a bit on Reece Grego-Cox on 09:46 - Mar 12 by JordanFoster

I know Rio takes a lot of flak, but I quite like him. I can't think of many better players to make your debut alongside if you were a young right-back like Darnell Furlong.

On the topic of first-teamers helping youngsters out, Esteban Granero was really, really good with them. If he was driving out of the training ground and saw them walking to get public transport he'd always give them all a lift home - despite it often being quite out of his way. He was also very good on the pitch with the young midfielders (like Sutherland) who he'd often give little bits of advice and tips too about their game. Despite him not really performing at QPR, his ability is obvious for all to see so I'm sure he has a few words of wisdom.

I was around for Skapetis and I really didn't rate him. I couldn't see what all the fuss was about. If things didn't go his way early on he rarely fancied it. His attitude wasn't the best either, I think he might have been another one being told things by an agent because he was nowhere near as good as he thought. But he got a move to Stoke, good luck to him. He hasn't done much there in about a year but he might start, he's nearly 20 now I think so he has to make an impression at some point.

I like Frankie, I really hope he makes it and has a career in the game I'm not sure that will be with QPR though. He's been unlucky with injuries and fitness but hopefully he can start to put that behind him. He's Rangers through and through and is a really decent bloke so fingers crossed something can come off for him. His injuries seem to have effected him when I have seen him this year but that was during his 'comeback', hopefully now they are fully behind him.

Josh Laurent is a funny one, he's a good player. A very good player. I can see why he went to Brentford at the time, he might have a better chance of breaking in there but he was involved around first-team training and the step-up in midfielders between the two clubs is enormous. So he can't really have too many complaints. Unless, he's thinking long term then maybe I can understand why he left, as Brentford are in QPR's league for the Under-21's. Truthfully, I don't think he will make it as a regular Championship midfielder.

I have dodged the cheese bullet haven't I? I'll go Camembert, but only when fried and with some cranberry sauce. Is that allowed?

cheers jordan mate , appreciate your views. good to have you join the cult.

just hope frankie and petreso can break through.

".... You are the... Duke of New York... You're A-Number One!".

Hello and a bit on Reece Grego-Cox on 10:10 - Mar 12 with 2109 viewsBrightonhoop

Hello and a bit on Reece Grego-Cox on 09:46 - Mar 12 by JordanFoster

Ha! Nothing wrong with a splodge of Cranberry. Whatever gets you through the day Mr Foster. Doffs cap.
Hello and a bit on Reece Grego-Cox on 10:15 - Mar 12 with 2105 viewspeejaybee

Really good thread,been a real insight about the youngsters long may it reign.
Keep it coming Jordan.

If at first you dont succeed, pack up and f**k off home.

Hello and a bit on Reece Grego-Cox on 10:28 - Mar 12 with 2088 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Hello and a bit on Reece Grego-Cox on 10:15 - Mar 12 by peejaybee

Really good thread,been a real insight about the youngsters long may it reign.
Keep it coming Jordan.

Seconded. Superb thread. Great to have you on board, Jordan (now that you've named your cheese!).

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Hello and a bit on Reece Grego-Cox on 12:40 - Mar 12 with 2030 viewsnadera78

Hello and a bit on Reece Grego-Cox on 12:38 - Mar 11 by JordanFoster

No, I think Gallen was probably a one-off. He was exceptional, Grego-Cox isn't quite at that level - but he's still a very good player.

Dave is right in what he says, truthfully the players aren't good enough YET but both Darnell and Reece (I wouldn't consider Doughty so much of a youngster anymore) have done fantastically well to come in and make a name for themselves.

In the past the youth structure has been under-invested in, it seems like things are turning now thankfully. Before even the likes of Brentford, who have an amazing infrastructure, were blowing us out the water. But with the current setup things are certainly improving.

Steve Gallen is a big part of this, it was crucial he got the EDS job last year when Bircham left, he's bleeds QPR and instills certain morals in the players. You can always tell an U18 player playing in the EDS as they still wear black boots, stuff like that I think is brilliant.

There was a lot of call last year for Tom Hitchcock to play, but the Championship is an unforgiving league and the manager was right with his decisions to stick with the likes of Niko Kranjcar ahead of him. The gulf in class is just massive and an out of shape Kranjcar is still far more beneficial to the team than Tom Hitchcock - who has struggled since leaving the club.

Cole Kpekawa is another decent prospect, although I think he will eventually be converted to a centre half from left back. The physical aspects to his game are immaculate and if he can just work on a few things he will be quite a good player. It will help him having players like Rio at the club. Despite what you might think of his performances, he's very good with the young players.

I watched Cole Kpekawa play at CB in the game against Sampdoria and I couldn't help thinking he'd make a very good defensive midfielder, especially in a 4-2-3-1. Physically very impressive - big, strong, athletic, quick and decent on the ball. Also a cannon of a free kick.

Alongside him at the back was Harly Wise who also stood out. Big and very aggressive, he physically dominated the Sampdoria forwards and was non-stop vocal - two things you want to see in a CB.

Both of them are only 18, so have time ahead of them.
Hello and a bit on Reece Grego-Cox on 14:48 - Mar 12 with 1977 viewsJordanFoster

Hello and a bit on Reece Grego-Cox on 12:40 - Mar 12 by nadera78

I watched Cole Kpekawa play at CB in the game against Sampdoria and I couldn't help thinking he'd make a very good defensive midfielder, especially in a 4-2-3-1. Physically very impressive - big, strong, athletic, quick and decent on the ball. Also a cannon of a free kick.

Alongside him at the back was Harly Wise who also stood out. Big and very aggressive, he physically dominated the Sampdoria forwards and was non-stop vocal - two things you want to see in a CB.

Both of them are only 18, so have time ahead of them.

That's interesting on Kpekawa, I think he looks a little too lively on the ball for a centre midfielder but I can see your point and who knows, he's got a long way to go so he might!

For those that haven't seen it, here's a cracker he scored when playing for the U18's last year:

It's worth watching the interview with the 3 young lads in Dubai just for the skill Grego-Cox does about half way through.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024