Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
another Oxford St closure 20:27 - Jul 8 with 4307 viewsbritferry

Sports Direct off down Parc Tawe, thats another big store that needs filling

Poll: Which kid would you give money to?

another Oxford St closure on 11:31 - Jul 9 with 1372 viewsDr_Winston

I saw more beggars/drunks per yard in Piccadilly Gardens in Manchester than I ever see in Swansea. Cardiff also has significantly higher numbers.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

another Oxford St closure on 12:18 - Jul 9 with 1342 viewsGwyn737

another Oxford St closure on 10:52 - Jul 9 by krunchykarrot

I only go into Town now to pick up fish and produce from the market, we have all systematically managed to kill off local businesses and replace with multi-national clones. There are no bakeries butchers etc. all being taken out by Tesco etc. who are having their taste of competition from the German stores.

I for one miss the individual sports shops and do not shop in Sports Direct where they license brands.

Add in the loony council decisions such as building supermarkets on the front etc. Charging silly prices for parking, that is if you can remember which way to drive around our system.

I hope there is a uprise in local shops with all these empty premises which should drop rates and rent.

I’ve been back to Swansea for 3 of the past 6 weeks and those are the first visits for quite a long time.

I must say Oxford street and the surrounding area did come as a shock - it’s pretty desperate.

HOWEVER…. the market is the best it’s ever been IMO. The developments in Parc Tawe and Mumbles look really good. I visited the LC2 for the first time for ages and thought it was excellent. The arena looks cracking from the outside too.
another Oxford St closure on 13:40 - Jul 9 with 1309 viewspencoedjack

You only have to look at Bridgend to see the damage out of town shopping centres do.

A once thriving town centre is now a complete shite hole since Mcarthur Glen opened
another Oxford St closure on 14:12 - Jul 9 with 1282 viewsonehunglow

another Oxford St closure on 13:40 - Jul 9 by pencoedjack

You only have to look at Bridgend to see the damage out of town shopping centres do.

A once thriving town centre is now a complete shite hole since Mcarthur Glen opened

Same with their outlet at Cheshire Oaks which killed Ellesmere Port town centre stone dead.
It's very popular though especially with Gogs

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

another Oxford St closure on 15:08 - Jul 9 with 1264 viewsKeithHaynes

Apparently this thread prompted a few on planet swans to make suggestions of neo fascism and other allegations that are unfounded. Hilarious 😂

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

another Oxford St closure on 19:05 - Jul 9 with 1173 viewsonehunglow

another Oxford St closure on 15:08 - Jul 9 by KeithHaynes

Apparently this thread prompted a few on planet swans to make suggestions of neo fascism and other allegations that are unfounded. Hilarious 😂

Pity Im banned for life on there Giv.
I was vox populae for many years

A city cannot be insulted personally.

A city that has fallen from pre eminence should lead to questions being asked not the unrelenting garbage of "slagging off "etc. The truth is right in front.
of eyes and it aint pretty

Inner Brum,Manchester,Hull,Pompey,Soton, arent pretty either by the way but that doesnt bother me

another Oxford St closure on 20:55 - Jul 9 with 1129 viewslifelong

another Oxford St closure on 10:15 - Jul 9 by onehunglow

Oxford St was our jewel as a shopping street really.
Many smaller British cities have been similarly decimated
Lose the shops and a city loses its soul as people come INTO town often for a day .

Nice bit of back tracking there.👍
another Oxford St closure on 21:39 - Jul 9 with 1095 viewsonehunglow

See our national team today Rog.
They beta de Bokke

Login to get fewer ads

another Oxford St closure on 22:03 - Jul 9 with 1079 viewsKeithHaynes

another Oxford St closure on 20:55 - Jul 9 by lifelong

Nice bit of back tracking there.👍

Got to be honest mate, the way it was blown up elsewhere today by the runaway boys this thread is dead.

another Oxford St closure on 22:06 - Jul 9 with 1063 viewsunion_jack

another Oxford St closure on 11:20 - Jul 9 by Togg

My wife works in town and I drive her in and pick her up every day. I'm sorry but they need to do something about the drug problem. I see people absolutely spaced out, shouting obscenities and sometimes violent. This can be quite intimidating

That must be one hell of a place where your wife works

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

another Oxford St closure on 22:08 - Jul 9 with 1062 viewsCatullus

another Oxford St closure on 08:24 - Jul 9 by Whiterockin

I have always said that the car parks in Swansea should be 3-4 hours free parking with no return the same day. This would encourage shoppers and discourage workers. It works in other town/cities so why not here.

Why would it discourage workers exactly? They'd just have to pay and not have free hours.

Sorry to point out an obvious here too but those car parks provide jobs and they need upkeep too, those workers who park in town all day pay those wages and for that upkeep. Do what you've suggested and one day the car parks would close down and then nobody could park.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

another Oxford St closure on 22:21 - Jul 9 with 1039 viewsDr_Winston

another Oxford St closure on 22:08 - Jul 9 by Catullus

Why would it discourage workers exactly? They'd just have to pay and not have free hours.

Sorry to point out an obvious here too but those car parks provide jobs and they need upkeep too, those workers who park in town all day pay those wages and for that upkeep. Do what you've suggested and one day the car parks would close down and then nobody could park.

How much upkeep would say, the Paxton Street car park require? It's not been resurfaced in decades as far as I'm aware and most of the machines are card only.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

another Oxford St closure on 22:28 - Jul 9 with 1029 viewsBoundy

another Oxford St closure on 22:06 - Jul 9 by union_jack

That must be one hell of a place where your wife works

County Hall ?

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

another Oxford St closure on 22:44 - Jul 9 with 1021 viewsCatullus

another Oxford St closure on 22:21 - Jul 9 by Dr_Winston

How much upkeep would say, the Paxton Street car park require? It's not been resurfaced in decades as far as I'm aware and most of the machines are card only.

The council owned car parks are provided for out out council taxes abd business rates. They may need minimal upkeep but they still cost money to run. Make these car parks free and someone else has to pay, that means businesses who then raise prices to cover the extra cost.

I was thinking more of the multi storey car parks though, Kingsway, orchard Street and the one on Little Wind Street are NCP, they have to pay busness rates, eletricity and water bills. How many cars does Paxton street hold? Does it have enough spaces for the city centre workers? The NCP are card only now too but those machines need maintenance and they use electricity, someone has to pay for it.

Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?

another Oxford St closure on 23:01 - Jul 9 with 1009 viewsCatullus

another Oxford St closure on 15:08 - Jul 9 by KeithHaynes

Hmmm, I can't look on there to see the fun. I even tried using a VPN but when I search for the forum, nothing comes up. Strange. My computer has a mind of its own

another Oxford St closure on 23:08 - Jul 9 with 1001 viewsKeithHaynes

another Oxford St closure on 23:01 - Jul 9 by Catullus

Hmmm, I can't look on there to see the fun. I even tried using a VPN but when I search for the forum, nothing comes up. Strange. My computer has a mind of its own

Myself and Phil came to the agreement the wasters aren’t worth it, and removed stuff.
Sad acts who will most certainly have their epiphany.
Full on.
Personally I’ve had enough of them and their cowardly, behind a keyboard non de plume posts.

This post has been edited by an administrator

another Oxford St closure on 07:28 - Jul 10 with 942 viewsEagleEye

Town centres only flourish with a good economy, both local & national. Sadly the demise of Swansea city centre has coincided with the loss of well paid jobs, manufacturing industry closures (petrochemicals, cars, aluminium, steel, coal), the advent of the Welsh Assembly, rise of online shopping etc.

Swansea city council (& Welsh government) has failed to make Swansea attractive to outside investment to replace well paid jobs - less money, less disposable income, internet shopping equals less footfall & the spiral keeps going only one way. Developing city centres for student living will not give as much support to the ailing shops as some think. Meanwhile the attraction of Cardiff city centre supported by the millions (billions since devolution)from the Welsh government at the expense of the rest of Wales has done zero to help.

A few free hours parking will not help without a strong economical foundation. The council relies on the income from the abundance of city parking options. Even though they probably operate way below capacity at all times
another Oxford St closure on 09:06 - Jul 10 with 909 viewsonehunglow

another Oxford St closure on 23:01 - Jul 9 by Catullus

Same here Cat
We are outsiders mush

another Oxford St closure on 11:54 - Jul 10 with 861 viewsBoundy

another Oxford St closure on 07:28 - Jul 10 by EagleEye

Town centres only flourish with a good economy, both local & national. Sadly the demise of Swansea city centre has coincided with the loss of well paid jobs, manufacturing industry closures (petrochemicals, cars, aluminium, steel, coal), the advent of the Welsh Assembly, rise of online shopping etc.

Swansea city council (& Welsh government) has failed to make Swansea attractive to outside investment to replace well paid jobs - less money, less disposable income, internet shopping equals less footfall & the spiral keeps going only one way. Developing city centres for student living will not give as much support to the ailing shops as some think. Meanwhile the attraction of Cardiff city centre supported by the millions (billions since devolution)from the Welsh government at the expense of the rest of Wales has done zero to help.

A few free hours parking will not help without a strong economical foundation. The council relies on the income from the abundance of city parking options. Even though they probably operate way below capacity at all times

Good post, although Swansea & Cardiff has by and large been labour led since 1995 ( with a small blip for both Cities during that period ) the growth of both and investment has been strikingly different and I often wonder exactly how much of Welsh taxpayers money has been spend on Cardiff to the detriment of the rest of Wales. We know that over 85% of new jobs created in Wales are in Cardiff so it follows that's where the money will be spent . One of my many gripes is hearing too many Swansea residents moaning about the lack of choice, why not support your local shops instead of spending their money in a City which frankly doesn't need it , its not just the bigger shops but the local ones which desperately need your money . Its sad to see old Swansea images showing what we had and how the centre once looked , vibrant and full of choices to what we see today . I'm proud of where I'm from but angry to see how its been allowed to get to the stage we currently see it and I include many other parts of the country I truly believe a deliberate policy by those in Butetown to centralise everything in Cardiff and damn the rest of us

another Oxford St closure on 11:56 - Jul 10 with 861 viewsBoundy

another Oxford St closure on 07:28 - Jul 10 by EagleEye

duplicate post
[Post edited 10 Jul 2022 16:14]

another Oxford St closure on 17:55 - Jul 10 with 804 viewsbritferry

another Oxford St closure on 09:06 - Jul 10 by onehunglow

Same here Cat
We are outsiders mush

I know somebody who has 3 users IDs over there

Poll: Which kid would you give money to?

another Oxford St closure on 20:52 - Jul 10 with 750 viewsonehunglow

another Oxford St closure on 17:55 - Jul 10 by britferry

I know somebody who has 3 users IDs over there

I can just about cope with OHL.He drives me nuts

another Oxford St closure on 21:40 - Jul 10 with 716 viewsJack123

another Oxford St closure on 11:31 - Jul 9 by Dr_Winston

I saw more beggars/drunks per yard in Piccadilly Gardens in Manchester than I ever see in Swansea. Cardiff also has significantly higher numbers.

Don't worry, I bet Mr Drakrford, will sort all that out within the next 50 years.

libera nos a malo

another Oxford St closure on 07:07 - Jul 11 with 650 viewsEagleEye

another Oxford St closure on 11:54 - Jul 10 by Boundy

Good post, although Swansea & Cardiff has by and large been labour led since 1995 ( with a small blip for both Cities during that period ) the growth of both and investment has been strikingly different and I often wonder exactly how much of Welsh taxpayers money has been spend on Cardiff to the detriment of the rest of Wales. We know that over 85% of new jobs created in Wales are in Cardiff so it follows that's where the money will be spent . One of my many gripes is hearing too many Swansea residents moaning about the lack of choice, why not support your local shops instead of spending their money in a City which frankly doesn't need it , its not just the bigger shops but the local ones which desperately need your money . Its sad to see old Swansea images showing what we had and how the centre once looked , vibrant and full of choices to what we see today . I'm proud of where I'm from but angry to see how its been allowed to get to the stage we currently see it and I include many other parts of the country I truly believe a deliberate policy by those in Butetown to centralise everything in Cardiff and damn the rest of us

“85% of new jobs created in Wales are in Cardiff” … that is astounding & an absolute disgrace. The Welsh government treating the rest of Wales with absolute contempt. Sickens me to the core
another Oxford St closure on 11:13 - Jul 11 with 593 viewsgadgetuk

another Oxford St closure on 22:00 - Jul 8 by onehunglow

Grow up.
Nobody can deny the obvious.
Did yiu see Morning breakfast show today featuring Hilbre Island. This is why people visit Wirral.

My post emphasises just what problems exist in Swansea. I’m not bothered about other cities frankly.
It is my home town

It is not a problem unique to Swansea.

Most of the big chain stores have gone, even John Lewis have closed stores.

The Pandemic and the move to online shopping has killed town centres - even out of town shopping has been impacted.

Walk around Kingston on Thames, Sutton, Croydon and you will see exactly the same thing happening.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024