Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
150th Anniversary of Lincoln's Gettysburg Address 16:59 - Nov 19 with 1984 viewsDavillin

Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.

Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure. We are met on a great battle-field of that war. We have come to dedicate a portion of that field, as a final resting place for those who here gave their lives that that nation might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this.

But, in a larger sense, we can not dedicate -- we can not consecrate -- we can not hallow -- this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract.

The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us -- that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion -- that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

150th Anniversary of Lincoln's Gettysburg Address on 17:13 - Nov 19 with 1975 viewsLord_Bony

Wha you tryin to say bro?

Edit my bad...Lincoln ah

Gettysburg yeah that was one hell of a battle,it was certainly a pivotal point in their history and left a bad taste for generations afterwards
[Post edited 19 Nov 2013 17:34]

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

150th Anniversary of Lincoln's Gettysburg Address on 20:08 - Nov 19 with 1934 viewsPhil_S

Went to Washington back in the summer and saw the Lincoln memorial - have to say Washington is an amazing place, wish I had spent longer there than the 3 days we did

Brilliant city
150th Anniversary of Lincoln's Gettysburg Address on 20:24 - Nov 19 with 1923 viewsDavillin

150th Anniversary of Lincoln's Gettysburg Address on 17:13 - Nov 19 by Lord_Bony

Wha you tryin to say bro?

Edit my bad...Lincoln ah

Gettysburg yeah that was one hell of a battle,it was certainly a pivotal point in their history and left a bad taste for generations afterwards
[Post edited 19 Nov 2013 17:34]

"Wha you tryin to say bro?"

Subject of thread: "150th Anniversary of LIncoln's Gettysburg Address."

150th Anniversary of Lincoln's Gettysburg Address on 20:26 - Nov 19 with 1919 viewsDavillin

When Barack Obama read the address for a recent TV program, he omitted two words. Can you guess which ones?

150th Anniversary of Lincoln's Gettysburg Address on 20:28 - Nov 19 with 1917 viewsLohengrin

150th Anniversary of Lincoln's Gettysburg Address on 20:26 - Nov 19 by Davillin

When Barack Obama read the address for a recent TV program, he omitted two words. Can you guess which ones?

I'll take a stab at "under God."

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

150th Anniversary of Lincoln's Gettysburg Address on 20:31 - Nov 19 with 1911 viewsJackinthebox

150th Anniversary of Lincoln's Gettysburg Address on 20:26 - Nov 19 by Davillin

Give the guy a break, he was reading the Nicolay draft...

Edit: While I meant that in jest, it turns out he WAS reading the Nicolay draft. I do not intend to condone that, thank you.
[Post edited 19 Nov 2013 20:34]
150th Anniversary of Lincoln's Gettysburg Address on 21:12 - Nov 19 with 1886 viewsDavillin

150th Anniversary of Lincoln's Gettysburg Address on 20:28 - Nov 19 by Lohengrin

I'll take a stab at "under God."

Prize for correct answer being held in escrow until I get over again.

150th Anniversary of Lincoln's Gettysburg Address on 21:16 - Nov 19 with 1881 viewsJackinthebox

150th Anniversary of Lincoln's Gettysburg Address on 21:12 - Nov 19 by Davillin

Prize for correct answer being held in escrow until I get over again.

Let's not be disingenuous. He didn't omit two words from the speech you posted. He read a different draft entirely. There were numerous changes to what you posted. I don't necessarily agree with the decision. But, he certainly did not just omit two words from the speech you posted.
[Post edited 19 Nov 2013 21:17]
Login to get fewer ads

150th Anniversary of Lincoln's Gettysburg Address on 21:40 - Nov 19 with 1840 viewsDavillin

150th Anniversary of Lincoln's Gettysburg Address on 21:16 - Nov 19 by Jackinthebox

Let's not be disingenuous. He didn't omit two words from the speech you posted. He read a different draft entirely. There were numerous changes to what you posted. I don't necessarily agree with the decision. But, he certainly did not just omit two words from the speech you posted.
[Post edited 19 Nov 2013 21:17]

There's only one "Gettysburg Address" delivered at Gettysburg - at least by Lincoln, and it contains the words "under God."

I'm sure you'll post the URL to the "different draft entirely," along with evidence that Obama used that "different draft entirely."

You do understand, I hope, that for most of the past 150 years, school kids have been memorizing it. Obviously not in Indonesian Madras schools, however.

For information, the Obama recitation was played in its entirety on television; I heard it, word for word, today; it's not a "different draft entirely"; and he omitted only the words "under God."
[Post edited 19 Nov 2013 21:43]

150th Anniversary of Lincoln's Gettysburg Address on 22:29 - Nov 19 with 1811 viewsJackinthebox

150th Anniversary of Lincoln's Gettysburg Address on 21:40 - Nov 19 by Davillin

There's only one "Gettysburg Address" delivered at Gettysburg - at least by Lincoln, and it contains the words "under God."

I'm sure you'll post the URL to the "different draft entirely," along with evidence that Obama used that "different draft entirely."

You do understand, I hope, that for most of the past 150 years, school kids have been memorizing it. Obviously not in Indonesian Madras schools, however.

For information, the Obama recitation was played in its entirety on television; I heard it, word for word, today; it's not a "different draft entirely"; and he omitted only the words "under God."
[Post edited 19 Nov 2013 21:43]

I know well which Address is publicly accepted. I know well which Address Obama should have presented (assuming he made the decision). We are in agreement there. If you re-read my posts, that should be clear.

My point is: Obama did not deliver the speech you posted and simply omit two words. No matter how many times you viewed the speech will change that. I watched it today, too. But my watching it more recently than you has no say on who is right. What a bizarre claim that would be?

Keeping in good spirits with your mocking and chiding (“I’m sure you’ll post the URL”), let’s avoid posting URLs of drafts. Please, just afford me 30 seconds of your time. Re-watch Obama’s delivery and follow along with your post. It needn’t take much time: the first change is in the first line. See how many more there are.

In presenting your post disingenuously, you showed your hand as a simple opportunity to Obama-anti-god-bash. You’re better than that. And I know you appreciate history far too much to simply hand-wave away the early drafts of the Address, even if Obama did use one.

Edit: It appears that Obama read the draft of the Address that he was requested to read by Ken Burns. Burns, as a documenting historian, chose that draft for its historical significance as being the earliest of five known drafts of the Address. I wonder if you'll chide Burns as you did me over the relevance of the drafts?
[Post edited 20 Nov 2013 0:39]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024