Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Frey’s big start, Madsen’s quiet wins, Field’s conundrum - Column 10:48 - Sep 11 with 6214 viewsNorthernr

When Alex Perry filled in as a match reporter for LFW in 223/24 we liked what we read so much we decided to give him his own column – and here’s his first offering assessing what we’ve seen so far from QPR’s new look side.

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/62951

This post has been edited by an administrator
Frey’s big start, Madsen’s quiet wins, Field’s conundrum - Column on 12:41 - Sep 11 with 5378 viewsTheChef

Lovely stuff, thank you Alex!

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Frey’s big start, Madsen’s quiet wins, Field’s conundrum - Column on 13:18 - Sep 11 with 5165 viewsAntti_Heinola

Love that, thanks Alex!

Bare bones.

Frey’s big start, Madsen’s quiet wins, Field’s conundrum - Column on 13:41 - Sep 11 with 5055 viewsPaddyhoops

Great column and I hope you’re right about Sam Field because if he’s not a regular in our side come the end of the season it will mean the players replacing him will have been a huge success and we will be looking forward to the play offs .
He is limited to a degree but without him and his contribution over the last few years we would be looking at leauge one football .
Frey’s big start, Madsen’s quiet wins, Field’s conundrum - Column on 14:10 - Sep 11 with 4919 viewsdmm

Really enjoyed that, Alex. An effervescent piece of writing that bubbled with wit and fun!
Frey’s big start, Madsen’s quiet wins, Field’s conundrum - Column on 14:26 - Sep 11 with 4852 viewsMonkey_Roots

Great Alex, nice one!

Although I think you could consider a name change… Perryscope.

In your opening para you tell us that you don’t go to every game, watch the game online at times… the periscope allows you to view from afar, or a place of safety, protected etc…

You could even use an avatar…

Or I could just shut up and get back to work.

Nice job.
Frey’s big start, Madsen’s quiet wins, Field’s conundrum - Column on 16:43 - Sep 11 with 4417 viewsenfieldargh

Frey’s big start, Madsen’s quiet wins, Field’s conundrum - Column on 14:26 - Sep 11 by Monkey_Roots

Great Alex, nice one!

Although I think you could consider a name change… Perryscope.

In your opening para you tell us that you don’t go to every game, watch the game online at times… the periscope allows you to view from afar, or a place of safety, protected etc…

You could even use an avatar…

Or I could just shut up and get back to work.

Nice job.

Does that count as a restricted view...take it anyway you want.

Great piece Perryscope, the affliction that is QPR is just that, a rabid dog of a fix that I need daily.

I'm only sorry that I passed it on to my sons.....no I'm not!!!

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Frey’s big start, Madsen’s quiet wins, Field’s conundrum - Column on 17:50 - Sep 11 with 4187 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Very enjoyable read, Alex. Thank you.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Frey’s big start, Madsen’s quiet wins, Field’s conundrum - Column on 18:20 - Sep 11 with 4034 viewsLoft1979

Thank you for my blue & white fix for today.

1. Frey. I think he compares (favorably) to Chaz Austin. As as been much commented he was out of shape, but hopefully now has some oxygen therapy. I really do think the providers (Dembele, Saito, Paal et al) will provide him with plenty of opportunities. I also hope/expect Celar is more counterpart than partner.

2. Marti rotation: Based on a years sample, I estimate that Mats, Field, Colback, Varane will rotate in that MF triangle. I think Hayden was not as critical on the field as we often seem to remember him. I would dare say Field's play at the end of the season contributed FAR more. But it is about the whole recipe.

3. Contracts: EVERY team has pending free agents. But I do hope Paal gets a good offer and stays. As opposed to getting a take it or leave it.
[Post edited 11 Sep 23:07]
Login to get fewer ads

Frey’s big start, Madsen’s quiet wins, Field’s conundrum - Column on 18:23 - Sep 11 with 4021 viewsStainrod

Good column.

The only point I would question Alex is your suggestion that Field doesn't fit this new-look Marti-balls team. Surely he is more essential than ever as the weakness so far this season has been teams carving through our midfield? A pairing of Varane and Madsen - on current showing - brings me out in cold sweats as I fear it would leave our defence exposed. Hayden is an unavoidable loss, but a big one nonetheless. Coleback is too wild, his loss of pace provoking him into desperate lunges. Whilst I absolutely share your exasperation with defensive midfielders with a turning speed of a mobility scooter on low charge - it was probably the single quality I hated most about Andre Dozzell, more even than the immaculately gelled hair and unearned arrogance - I think every successful Championship side needs someone to be ugly (in a footballing sense). Chair, Dembele, Saito, Andersen, Madsen and Varane all look pretty on the ball, but who is going to win it to allow them to play? We now have enough depth to replace every single flair player (even Chair, amazingly), but who replaces Field?
Frey’s big start, Madsen’s quiet wins, Field’s conundrum - Column on 18:42 - Sep 11 with 3912 viewsdmm

Frey’s big start, Madsen’s quiet wins, Field’s conundrum - Column on 18:23 - Sep 11 by Stainrod

Good column.

The only point I would question Alex is your suggestion that Field doesn't fit this new-look Marti-balls team. Surely he is more essential than ever as the weakness so far this season has been teams carving through our midfield? A pairing of Varane and Madsen - on current showing - brings me out in cold sweats as I fear it would leave our defence exposed. Hayden is an unavoidable loss, but a big one nonetheless. Coleback is too wild, his loss of pace provoking him into desperate lunges. Whilst I absolutely share your exasperation with defensive midfielders with a turning speed of a mobility scooter on low charge - it was probably the single quality I hated most about Andre Dozzell, more even than the immaculately gelled hair and unearned arrogance - I think every successful Championship side needs someone to be ugly (in a footballing sense). Chair, Dembele, Saito, Andersen, Madsen and Varane all look pretty on the ball, but who is going to win it to allow them to play? We now have enough depth to replace every single flair player (even Chair, amazingly), but who replaces Field?

I would have thought Varane is the Field replacement. Not that I want Field gone. I don't. I just think Varane is a 6 as is Field, albeit a right footed one.
Frey’s big start, Madsen’s quiet wins, Field’s conundrum - Column on 18:52 - Sep 11 with 3857 viewsAndybrat

I’m a Kenneth Paal fan and not afraid to tell everyone. Maybe he needs a few more of us to tell him, great article, needed that fix
Frey’s big start, Madsen’s quiet wins, Field’s conundrum - Column on 19:20 - Sep 11 with 3781 viewsStainrod

Agree Varane is a 6 and clearly has potential but yet to be convinced he has the physicality to do the job of one hard as nails Championship number 6, let alone two if he is going to be playing alongside Madsen. At least as things stand, he might develop.
Frey’s big start, Madsen’s quiet wins, Field’s conundrum - Column on 19:52 - Sep 11 with 3676 viewsM40R

Great read. Thanks. Look forward to future ones.
Frey’s big start, Madsen’s quiet wins, Field’s conundrum - Column on 21:22 - Sep 11 with 3305 viewsLblock

Superb.

I too stand shoulder to hip with our Kenneth - we'll miss him when he's gone.

A point we all need reminding made very well here as well -- the large numbers of this club have flirted with disaster for 30 months yet somehow we avoided it.
Thank the Lord for Marti and Estrella... the path is clear.

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Frey’s big start, Madsen’s quiet wins, Field’s conundrum - Column on 22:25 - Sep 11 with 3076 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

Frey’s big start, Madsen’s quiet wins, Field’s conundrum - Column on 18:23 - Sep 11 by Stainrod

Good column.

Marti is a Cruyff disciple and that means your DCM should not only be a destroyer, he should also be able to start every attack. Varane has clearly been brought in to do that.
I like Field, his attitude is faultless, however......he is already starting to look like the odd man out. His passing is pretty poor and he is going to struggle if this team kicks into top gear.
We'll always have the cardigans though.
Frey’s big start, Madsen’s quiet wins, Field’s conundrum - Column on 00:19 - Sep 12 with 2768 viewsHunterhoop

I’m in a minority here. And I rarely post much now.

I think off the ball work is hugely underrated by fans and the data lads haven’t got their heads around it fully yet. You don’t need to win a tackle, make a block or nail an interception to be good off the ball.

You need to track runners and close down space, and block off passing options. Macro “fan” football stats don’t capture this. I’m sure the “pro” stats do.

How many managers in a row have made Field a stalwart of their side since he signed? All 4. Marti even dropped Hayden and played Field at 6 for the run in last year. Look at the Leeds and WBA games, our best two performances, they had Field at the heart of it. He started our last 10 games for all these comments about Cifuentes’ trust in him. Colback, Hayden, and EBD didn’t.

It’s an easy narrative. I just personally feel many fans, including Clive (who I rated enormously) have it wrong and underestimate the off the ball work.

Watch him off the ball. IMO, he is elite. He is in a different league to our other players and players we’ve had since relegation.

Should he be better on the ball and/or become better on it?! Yes, absolutely. Just don’t underestimate what we have.
Frey’s big start, Madsen’s quiet wins, Field’s conundrum - Column on 02:08 - Sep 12 with 2623 viewssimmo

Sam Field is out best player without the ball and one of our worst with it, that's the conundrum, and given the position he plays, both the plus and weaknesses are amplified.

Personally I appreciate the good he does and think we almost take for granted the amount of involvement he has, and despite his limitations, he always shows for the ball and will come and get it. I'd like to think that more balance and less reliance on him as a progressor will allow him to do his best work and give a platform for others. There's also going to be games - especially away from home - where he will be massive for our chances of getting a result.... He's still in my first 11 every week.

I also like Ken Paal. Thanks for the write up, loved it!

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Frey’s big start, Madsen’s quiet wins, Field’s conundrum - Column on 09:00 - Sep 12 with 2076 viewsslmrstid

Good stuff Alex. Where in Leicestershire are you based? I only know one other R's fan in person in the city itself! Always welcome to know where more of us are about...
Frey’s big start, Madsen’s quiet wins, Field’s conundrum - Column on 09:08 - Sep 12 with 2040 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Frey’s big start, Madsen’s quiet wins, Field’s conundrum - Column on 00:19 - Sep 12 by Hunterhoop

I’m in a minority here. And I rarely post much now.

I think off the ball work is hugely underrated by fans and the data lads haven’t got their heads around it fully yet. You don’t need to win a tackle, make a block or nail an interception to be good off the ball.

You need to track runners and close down space, and block off passing options. Macro “fan” football stats don’t capture this. I’m sure the “pro” stats do.

How many managers in a row have made Field a stalwart of their side since he signed? All 4. Marti even dropped Hayden and played Field at 6 for the run in last year. Look at the Leeds and WBA games, our best two performances, they had Field at the heart of it. He started our last 10 games for all these comments about Cifuentes’ trust in him. Colback, Hayden, and EBD didn’t.

It’s an easy narrative. I just personally feel many fans, including Clive (who I rated enormously) have it wrong and underestimate the off the ball work.

Watch him off the ball. IMO, he is elite. He is in a different league to our other players and players we’ve had since relegation.

Should he be better on the ball and/or become better on it?! Yes, absolutely. Just don’t underestimate what we have.

I'm not sure you're in a minority, Hunter.

I agree with you on every point.

Where Stainrod and Wilkins have a point is that the Cryuffian 6 is a pivot, as we know, and Field's skillset is not suited to being a pivot and starting attacks from that position. Not so much now, but last year he would come deep as a decoy, pointing to the defenders to pass the ball elsewhere. We have always speculated whether that was his choice or he was told to do that. Either way, he wasn't getting the ball, so he was no pivot.

He would always be in my team, either at 6, or - if we're playing a true pivot at 6 - then at 8.

P.S. Hope you post more. Love your posts. Very knowledgeable.

Frey’s big start, Madsen’s quiet wins, Field’s conundrum - Column on 09:13 - Sep 12 with 2025 views1BobbyHazell

Great article, thanks.

On Sam Field, I really thought I saw an observable change in his attitude/approach with the ball against Luton, especially in those first 15 minutes when were playing the 'bravest' football I'd seen this season. It looked to me like he was determined to look up and forward more often and try a progressive pass, than before.

There was less of his standard automated easy ball back to the defenders or sideways.

Also there was less pointing out the obvious safe ball to a team mate and a bit more movement to make himself available instead. There was a small defining moment in the second half when he laid a ball to Dunne who then ignored a progressive pass that was available and played it backwards, killing the monentum, and Field had a go at him! Not something we'd have seen before when normally he'd be pointing out the safe pass to Dunne.

Very small sample size of one game but I reckon there's a chance that Marti has now insisted upon a braver more positive and progressive approach. It doesn't have to be 30 yard defense splitters, not Sam's forte, but get that ball 8,9,10 yards forward into the feet of Dembele, Saito, Frey etc even if they have a defender near them.

It looked like all the team had got the message but Field's change stood out to me because of what we've seen prior.

Next couple games will be interesting to see if it continues or maybe I was just tired after a long week and getting a little delusional!
Frey’s big start, Madsen’s quiet wins, Field’s conundrum - Column on 09:16 - Sep 12 with 2012 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Frey’s big start, Madsen’s quiet wins, Field’s conundrum - Column on 09:13 - Sep 12 by 1BobbyHazell

Great article, thanks.

On Sam Field, I really thought I saw an observable change in his attitude/approach with the ball against Luton, especially in those first 15 minutes when were playing the 'bravest' football I'd seen this season. It looked to me like he was determined to look up and forward more often and try a progressive pass, than before.

There was less of his standard automated easy ball back to the defenders or sideways.

Also there was less pointing out the obvious safe ball to a team mate and a bit more movement to make himself available instead. There was a small defining moment in the second half when he laid a ball to Dunne who then ignored a progressive pass that was available and played it backwards, killing the monentum, and Field had a go at him! Not something we'd have seen before when normally he'd be pointing out the safe pass to Dunne.

Very small sample size of one game but I reckon there's a chance that Marti has now insisted upon a braver more positive and progressive approach. It doesn't have to be 30 yard defense splitters, not Sam's forte, but get that ball 8,9,10 yards forward into the feet of Dembele, Saito, Frey etc even if they have a defender near them.

It looked like all the team had got the message but Field's change stood out to me because of what we've seen prior.

Next couple games will be interesting to see if it continues or maybe I was just tired after a long week and getting a little delusional!

Good info, and great to hear. Thanks for that, Bobby.

Frey’s big start, Madsen’s quiet wins, Field’s conundrum - Column on 09:49 - Sep 12 with 1898 viewsfrancisbowles

Thank you Alex a nice perspective from the sofa 😬😁.

It's an interesting read and one I agree with. Pal had a dodgy pre season but seems to have settled and getting back to his best. He may be small but he usually does compete well in the air. Like you, I really hope Sam can continue to adapt to Martiball and play a big part for us going forward. Frey is really impressive centre forward. Very good finisher, very good battler, times his movement excellently, intelligent player.

It's great to have another excellent contributor for Clive's club, or should that be circus.
Frey’s big start, Madsen’s quiet wins, Field’s conundrum - Column on 10:06 - Sep 12 with 1860 viewsThird_Division_South

Is it possible that Paals upturn in form since preseason is because he’s been offered/accepted a contract extension? With the current regime we’d never know.
Frey’s big start, Madsen’s quiet wins, Field’s conundrum - Column on 11:20 - Sep 12 with 1701 viewsfrancisbowles

I think you'd know if he signed a new contract but now how long it was for.
Frey’s big start, Madsen’s quiet wins, Field’s conundrum - Column on 15:03 - Sep 12 with 1347 viewsStanleyMarsh

Great stuff Alex. As we now appear to have a reasonably strong squad, with competition in all areas I would like to think that no-one has a guaranteed starting position. Places must be earned on merit. Marti picks the team and stands or falls by the results.
[Post edited 12 Sep 15:28]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024