Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Stay safe out there 19:48 - Sep 9 with 2630 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

Thousands of dangerous people being released from prison back into society in the morning to wreak havoc upon our country.

Good luck to everyone.

Poll: We all dream of a managerial team of Alan Tates?

Stay safe out there on 20:00 - Sep 9 with 1409 viewsonehunglow

Tories fault innit
Yeah
Let em out
It’s cheaper
We could also cut prison officers numbers ,just like we did with Police

And be careful not to injure anyone breaking into your home . Let them take what they want .

Yeah baby

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Stay safe out there on 20:56 - Sep 9 with 1357 viewsmajorraglan

Stay safe out there on 20:00 - Sep 9 by onehunglow

Tories fault innit
Yeah
Let em out
It’s cheaper

And be careful not to injure anyone breaking into your home . Let them take what they want .

Yeah baby

Absolutely is. They failed to invest enough to increase the prison capacity during their reign. The plan Labour see now implementing was initially signed off by the last government in the run up to the GE.

Guess what? The number of prison officers in 2024 is lower than it was in 2010, it’s around 1,200 lower at the moment. At its lowest point in 2016 we had over 6,000 less which equates to a decrease of over 25%. Being a prison officer is one job I wouldn’t do - it’s a very dangerous job.
Stay safe out there on 21:01 - Sep 9 with 1348 viewsSullutaCreturned

Stay safe out there on 20:00 - Sep 9 by onehunglow

Tories fault innit
Yeah
Let em out
It’s cheaper

Yeah baby

We need more prisons to keep the criminals locked up, that or we need many more police and associated resources to deal with the outcomes of these eary releases.

Quite ossibly we need all of the above.

Putting it together under this new government we are facing tax rises, a pensions raid, removal of the WFA putting many pensioners at risk if we have a cold winter and the early release of thousands of criminals.

It's hardly a bed of roses under this new government, lets hope the longterm plan works or people will be praying the tories get their act together.

Me, I hope people see the big picture, how UK party politics continues to ruin this country and that we need radical change if we are to see things improve.

What would that change look like though?
Stay safe out there on 21:02 - Sep 9 with 1348 viewsBoundy

I'm off to France tomorrow so hopefully I'll be safe for a week , just need to keep checking under the car for any unwanted individuals

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Stay safe out there on 21:03 - Sep 9 with 1341 viewsonehunglow

Stay safe out there on 21:01 - Sep 9 by SullutaCreturned

We need more prisons to keep the criminals locked up, that or we need many more police and associated resources to deal with the outcomes of these eary releases.

Quite ossibly we need all of the above.

Putting it together under this new government we are facing tax rises, a pensions raid, removal of the WFA putting many pensioners at risk if we have a cold winter and the early release of thousands of criminals.

It's hardly a bed of roses under this new government, lets hope the longterm plan works or people will be praying the tories get their act together.

Me, I hope people see the big picture, how UK party politics continues to ruin this country and that we need radical change if we are to see things improve.

What would that change look like though?

Ideally,create a society where crime doesn’t pay at all

Stay safe out there on 21:05 - Sep 9 with 1327 viewsRobbie

At least with Truss , Bojo and Sunack we had the inept , the liars and the crooks .
All useless and found out , all to resign .

I feel Stamer is bringing a far greater threat to the Uk , a breakdown in law and order and the streets out of control , his answer is open the floodgates to migrants and put criminals back on our streets , great plan mush .

We are fast approaching a tinderbox of poverty , unpayable bills , pensioners wrapped in blankets this Winter and a point soon where it will be unsafe to venture outside after dark .
God help us shop workers and energency services .

The Tories had some beauts , Starmer has already surpassed all their uselessness this soon .

Anybody who did not realise massive tax hikes were coming , it was plain to see in his manifesto , he dodged every question put to him on the issue and waffled .

There again he is a Human Rights lawyer .
Stay safe out there on 21:10 - Sep 9 with 1325 viewsonehunglow

Stay safe out there on 21:05 - Sep 9 by Robbie

At least with Truss , Bojo and Sunack we had the inept , the liars and the crooks .

I feel Stamer is bringing a far greater threat to the Uk , a breakdown in law and order and the streets out of control , his answer is open the floodgates to migrants and put criminals back on our streets , great plan mush .

We are fast approaching a tinderbox of poverty , unpayable bills , pensioners wrapped in blankets this Winter and a point soon where it will be unsafe to venture outside after dark .

The Tories had some beauts , Starmer has already surpassed all their uselessness this soon .

Anybody who did not realise massive tax hikes were coming , it was plain to see in his manifesto , he dodged every question put to him on the issue and waffled .

We had better be prepared Robbie
He’s only just begun
If anything happens to him though, we have 44 yr old working class left school early had baby in teens granny Ange

Stay safe out there on 21:29 - Sep 9 with 1279 viewsmajorraglan

Stay safe out there on 21:05 - Sep 9 by Robbie

The release of prisoners was coming whoever was in charge, Sunak’s Conservatives released 10,000 in the lead up to the GE.

Tax rises were coming whoever was in charge, it’s just where the burden will fall.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/article/2024/jul/12/over-10000-prisoners-fre
Login to get fewer ads

Stay safe out there on 21:31 - Sep 9 with 1265 viewsonehunglow

Stay safe out there on 21:29 - Sep 9 by majorraglan

The release of prisoners was coming whoever was in charge, Sunak’s Conservatives released 10,000 in the lead up to the GE.

Tax rises were coming whoever was in charge, it’s just where the burden will fall.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/article/2024/jul/12/over-10000-prisoners-fre

Of course

Stay safe out there on 21:54 - Sep 9 with 1217 viewsWhiterockin

Wouldn't implementing this tax save the winter fuel allowance.

https://www.energyvoice.com/oilandgas/north-sea/547509/labour-windfall-tax-oil-g
Stay safe out there on 21:57 - Sep 9 with 1199 viewsRobbie

Conservatives would not give a damn about the great unwashed as seen in their partying and actions during COVID , they were going to kick them again at any cost .

What grinds my gears is Labour preaching they are a voice for the people .
Voters then casting their vote under the premise of a better Party to represent them .

The working man has rightly or wrongly in the past trusted Labour to look after the Red Rossette voters , they have been Labour all their lives , they expect better .
That ideology has now gone south in a matter of weeks .

Is Stamer going after the off shore accounts and big business profits , nope .

Lets get the pensioners to buy more blankets and be frugal with their heating .

Just to add balance I am a OAP and will probably lose me allowance this year , I can take the hit and not a problem , many others will not be so lucky .
[Post edited 9 Sep 22:03]
Stay safe out there on 00:26 - Sep 10 with 1083 viewsmajorraglan

Stay safe out there on 21:54 - Sep 9 by Whiterockin

Wouldn't implementing this tax save the winter fuel allowance.

https://www.energyvoice.com/oilandgas/north-sea/547509/labour-windfall-tax-oil-g

It would make a difference, but I don’t believe that all pensioners should be paid the WFA, I think it needs to be a targeted benefit.

For what it’s worth I think the decision to change it away from a universal payment is correct because I know quite a few pensioners who don’t need it because they are pulling in between £70k and £150k per year. Equally, I think setting the bar at pension credit level is far too low, there’ll be pensioners out there on £100 a year more than the pension credit threshold and they’ll get nowt - it’s outrageous. The bar has to be raised to capture the bottom tier and the needy above them while the better off who don’t need the payment lose it.
Stay safe out there on 01:06 - Sep 10 with 1078 viewsRobbie

Stay safe out there on 00:26 - Sep 10 by majorraglan

It would make a difference, but I don’t believe that all pensioners should be paid the WFA, I think it needs to be a targeted benefit.

For what it’s worth I think the decision to change it away from a universal payment is correct because I know quite a few pensioners who don’t need it because they are pulling in between £70k and £150k per year. Equally, I think setting the bar at pension credit level is far too low, there’ll be pensioners out there on £100 a year more than the pension credit threshold and they’ll get nowt - it’s outrageous. The bar has to be raised to capture the bottom tier and the needy above them while the better off who don’t need the payment lose it.

Sad to say but some of the shysters I know , manipulating a hundred quid a year on their annual income to get extra benefits available is second nature to them , no problem .

Just wish I had the handbook to screw the system for what I can get on benefits .
Stay safe out there on 08:57 - Sep 10 with 973 viewsWhiterockin

Stay safe out there on 00:26 - Sep 10 by majorraglan

By the same token I believe that not everyone should receive the benifit called the state pension. Why should any individual with an income of above say £100K a year in retirement receive any benefits. It's not the removal of the winter fuel allowance that's the issue for me, it's the level at which it's applied. Then there is the £10 Christmas bonus, just what is that all about in this day and age.
Stay safe out there on 09:22 - Sep 10 with 953 viewsScotia

Stay safe out there on 08:57 - Sep 10 by Whiterockin

By the same token I believe that not everyone should receive the benifit called the state pension. Why should any individual with an income of above say £100K a year in retirement receive any benefits. It's not the removal of the winter fuel allowance that's the issue for me, it's the level at which it's applied. Then there is the £10 Christmas bonus, just what is that all about in this day and age.

I don't think the state benefit is a "benefit" it's earned and contributed too, throughout working life. No other benefit is. It's an entitlement.

The chances are somebody earning £100k a year in retirement has paid in considerably more to the state pension pot via taxes than they'll ever get out of it. I probably will to.

I'm officially 20 year away from getting it and stacking my work pension and making an AVC to top up my state pension to something like what would have been a final salary pension until it was replace by a career average pension. I'd like to maintain my standard of living and retire in about 15 years if possible - that'll be off my own back and somebody younger can fill my current job.

Means testing the state benefit would mean people don't bother contributing to they're private pension once they reached the means tested threshold. There'd be no point. Then we'd probably see a run on the banks and a stock market crash.

I do think the triple lock has to go though.

We need a massive overhaul of the benefits system there is no doubt about that though.
Stay safe out there on 09:42 - Sep 10 with 930 viewsunion_jack

Stay safe out there on 09:22 - Sep 10 by Scotia

I don't think the state benefit is a "benefit" it's earned and contributed too, throughout working life. No other benefit is. It's an entitlement.

The chances are somebody earning £100k a year in retirement has paid in considerably more to the state pension pot via taxes than they'll ever get out of it. I probably will to.

I'm officially 20 year away from getting it and stacking my work pension and making an AVC to top up my state pension to something like what would have been a final salary pension until it was replace by a career average pension. I'd like to maintain my standard of living and retire in about 15 years if possible - that'll be off my own back and somebody younger can fill my current job.

Means testing the state benefit would mean people don't bother contributing to they're private pension once they reached the means tested threshold. There'd be no point. Then we'd probably see a run on the banks and a stock market crash.

We need a massive overhaul of the benefits system there is no doubt about that though.

People will argue it’s not an entitlement and that your contributions are linked to today’s pensioners not your own. This is preposterous and if any government wants to see mass protests on the streets, this is the way to do it.

It is documented on my NI contributions page on the HMRC site that I, that’s ME, have paid in all my 32 years needed. I hadn’t up until recently so I made a £3k voluntary addition to make sure I, that’s ME got the benefit I am ENTITLED to at 67 which is under 4 years now. I didn’t (nor was I invited to) make that additional contribution to fund someone else. If that’s the case, it’s no more than a Ponsi scheme.

Everybody who has paid in the years required should receive a state pension regardless of whether it’s the primary source of retirement income or if they are billionaires.

Also, such a scheme would ensure people don’t put savings into an AVC if they’ve got to pay for it and it prevents them getting a state pension.

This is one example of where I’d support the ECHR to the hilt and they have a field day.

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Stay safe out there on 09:51 - Sep 10 with 893 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

Whoever does it is irrelevant. Releasing thousands of dangerous criminals back into society is a colossally stupid thing to do.

Poll: We all dream of a managerial team of Alan Tates?

Stay safe out there on 09:54 - Sep 10 with 887 viewsonehunglow

Stay safe out there on 09:51 - Sep 10 by Joesus_Of_Narbereth

Whoever does it is irrelevant. Releasing thousands of dangerous criminals back into society is a colossally stupid thing to do.

How would our poster feel about a released armed blagger/ drug dealer taking up residence next door ?
That’s the reality

These rats will be living somewhere

Stay safe out there on 10:16 - Sep 10 with 785 viewsmajorraglan

Stay safe out there on 09:54 - Sep 10 by onehunglow

How would our poster feel about a released armed blagger/ drug dealer taking up residence next door ?
That’s the reality

These rats will be living somewhere

I didn’t say I agreed with the policy, I am merely pointing out why it’s happening. You’re blaming Starmer, but it’s a product of many years of underinvestment in the criminal's justice system under the previous conservative regime where the police, courts, CPS, prisons and probation service have all been slashed.

Tories innit …. well yes. Cameron, Osborne and May to be precise. In fairness to Boris, despite his many shortcomings he did reverse the huge cuts to police numbers, but the damage had already been done.
Stay safe out there on 10:22 - Sep 10 with 777 viewsWhiterockin

Stay safe out there on 09:22 - Sep 10 by Scotia

Seems like people are happy to increase taxes and reduce benefits as long as it doesn't affect them. Life is not like that and the state pension will change dramatically whenever a government chooses, ask the WASPI women.
Stay safe out there on 10:28 - Sep 10 with 766 viewsunion_jack

Stay safe out there on 10:22 - Sep 10 by Whiterockin

Seems like people are happy to increase taxes and reduce benefits as long as it doesn't affect them. Life is not like that and the state pension will change dramatically whenever a government chooses, ask the WASPI women.

It’s all very well saying that “life is not like that” but it’s attitudes like that which allow governments to walk over us. The WASPI situation was wrong. The reversal for free TV licences for over 80s was wrong (and saved pennies). The WFA being stopped is wrong and again saves practically nothing especially when you factor in new public sector jobs to administer any means testing.

I’ve said above, I’ll say it again, I gave paid in all my life. I entered into a contract as I see it and I want that contract honoured.

This is completely off thread though so apologies.

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Stay safe out there on 10:45 - Sep 10 with 739 viewsScotia

Stay safe out there on 10:22 - Sep 10 by Whiterockin

As I've said I don't think the state pension is a benefit. The equalisation behind the difference between mens and womens pension age was correct - but it's implementation should not have been speeded up.

We need a full review of benefits, do we need JSA? Should the benefits savings limit be reviewed? Free presecriptions? Free School meals?

The bottom line in my opininon is that when considering all benefits, received directly and indirectly, you should always be better off in work. We're a long way from that.
Stay safe out there on 10:58 - Sep 10 with 704 viewsWhiterockin

Stay safe out there on 10:45 - Sep 10 by Scotia

As I've said I don't think the state pension is a benefit. The equalisation behind the difference between mens and womens pension age was correct - but it's implementation should not have been speeded up.

We need a full review of benefits, do we need JSA? Should the benefits savings limit be reviewed? Free presecriptions? Free School meals?

The bottom line in my opininon is that when considering all benefits, received directly and indirectly, you should always be better off in work. We're a long way from that.

Whether you think it or not the state pension is a benifit, don't you like the thought that you may be receiving a benifit when pensionable age. Personally I don't believe that state pensions will be the same in 20-30 years anyway. With the current growth in the UK population it will be impossible to service.

https://www.benefitsguide.co.uk/state-pension/
Stay safe out there on 11:17 - Sep 10 with 666 viewsScotia

Stay safe out there on 10:58 - Sep 10 by Whiterockin

Whether you think it or not the state pension is a benifit, don't you like the thought that you may be receiving a benifit when pensionable age. Personally I don't believe that state pensions will be the same in 20-30 years anyway. With the current growth in the UK population it will be impossible to service.

Technically it is but no otehr benefit has this caveat:-

"so long as they have made the requisite National Insurance contributions or credits."

Now somebody earning more will pay more, it's morally wrong for someone who's made those payments to subsidise somebody who hasn't whilst they have still been required to save to fund they're own retirement.

Changes are inevitable - perhaps one of those should be to reduce the state pension of somoeone who has made credits rather than contributions?
Stay safe out there on 11:35 - Sep 10 with 635 viewsAnotherJohn

Stay safe out there on 10:58 - Sep 10 by Whiterockin

"With the current growth in the UK population it will be impossible to service."

Here is a summary of what Milton Freidman said about free immigration and welfare states. Was this one of the few things he was right about?

"Milton Friedman famously once said ‘You cannot simultaneously have free immigration and a welfare state’ (Friedman 1999). He argued that a country with open borders and access to generous welfare provisions would become a haven for poorer migrants which would place a significant fiscal burden on the host country. Consequently, increasing immigration may present serious challenges to Europe’s relatively generous welfare states by exposing tensions between the inherently closed system of the welfare state and the relatively open economies of the developed nations. Indeed, some authors have gone so far as to argue that increasing immigration in Europe will eventually lead to the Americanization of European welfare states and politics". (From: Clare Fenwick, European Political Science Review, 2019) . Actually this author disagrees with Friedman, but some will think the chickens are coming home to roost in 2024.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024