Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Trip to nostalgia land. 19:41 - Sep 9 with 4152 viewsSnipper

Look out for a fantastic goal from Gerry Francis.

Trip to nostalgia land. on 20:13 - Sep 9 with 3541 viewscharmr

Wonderful.

Hibbitt nut megging Stanley, Hibbitt could play,
Referees looking like Max Wall,
Newcastle fans singing ‘you’re going to get your f ing heads kicked in’ too how many rangers fans?
Outside of the boot passes,
Home fans applauding and appreciating great goals,
Any excuse to go on the pitch by a youngster in either a parka or high waisted flares and bover boots,
Sideburns,
Shorts that aren’t basket ball ones,
No sponsors on any shirt.
Trip to nostalgia land. on 20:33 - Sep 9 with 3489 viewsqpr_1968

Trip to nostalgia land. on 20:13 - Sep 9 by charmr

Wonderful.

Newcastle fans singing ‘you’re going to get your f ing heads kicked in’ too how many rangers fans?
Any excuse to go on the pitch by a youngster in either a parka or high waisted flares and bover boots,
Sideburns,

1 to 11 on shirts....

i could almost smell the onions and old holborn

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Trip to nostalgia land. on 21:01 - Sep 9 with 3415 viewsPlanetHonneywood

'...allowed Thomas in for an easy goal.' Id hate to think what the commentator would think is a hard one.

First two Rangers goals you can see a few lads in the Gallowgate 'avin it. Brave lads.

How many of their fans on the pitch after their goals?

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Trip to nostalgia land. on 22:39 - Sep 9 with 3197 viewsDannyPaddox

Wonderful.

Sideburns,

Mmm … peanuts …. at half-time … still in their shell … bought from a man in a white coat
Trip to nostalgia land. on 00:32 - Sep 10 with 3079 viewsnumptydumpty

Never seen that goal by Francis...

What a goal and what a hit....

If that was done today , you would be in awe but on those pitches in those days with how heavy those balls were by way of comparison makes it even better ...

Outrageous goal...

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Trip to nostalgia land. on 01:04 - Sep 10 with 3021 viewsBoston

Wonderful.

Sideburns,

Hibbet was brilliant, loved to have seen him in a hooped shirt.

I'd guess 150 Rangers. No special, but cheap rate on a regular train, think a carriage and a half.

Fifty per cent of those who travelled had seats bought. We didn't notice those 'jumping blokes until the second goal (they hadn't come by rail), when we made our way over for 'protection'. No Geordies went near 'em, I recall they were three or four tough b@rst@rds. But, as you mentioned, many of the home fans were pretty generous in their appreciation of good football

Really high on the trip home, especially as the following fixture was Chelsea at Loftus Rd and even as youngsters, we knew it was important to turn 'em over. Which didn't happen about 2pmish outside White City Stadium.
[Post edited 10 Sep 1:05]

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Trip to nostalgia land. on 10:02 - Sep 10 with 2677 viewsterryb

I remember the day well. I was visiting my girlfriend near Ipswich & broke up with her that day. Mainly so that I could start going to Rangers away games! I still remember every minute of the wins at Wolves, Derby & Leeds. Well, Leeds would have been a victory if not for the cheating ref!

The girlfriend? We celebrate our golden wedding next February on the day that Rangers play at Portsmouth. There's no chance I will get to that match, but I expect the same result as on our wedding day when we won at Carlisle.
Trip to nostalgia land. on 11:20 - Sep 10 with 2566 viewsTauntonR

Trip to nostalgia land. on 10:02 - Sep 10 by terryb

I remember the day well. I was visiting my girlfriend near Ipswich & broke up with her that day. Mainly so that I could start going to Rangers away games! I still remember every minute of the wins at Wolves, Derby & Leeds. Well, Leeds would have been a victory if not for the cheating ref!

The girlfriend? We celebrate our golden wedding next February on the day that Rangers play at Portsmouth. There's no chance I will get to that match, but I expect the same result as on our wedding day when we won at Carlisle.

I've never seen that Gerry Francis goal either - stunning volley - how was that not goal of the season - a different goal but equally as good as the one that was goal of the season 75-76
Login to get fewer ads

Trip to nostalgia land. on 11:46 - Sep 10 with 2505 viewsCroydonCaptJack

That is brilliant. What a goal from Francis. Never seen it before either.
Trip to nostalgia land. on 12:17 - Sep 10 with 2434 viewsdaveB

If you fancy a bit more nostalgia, a review of the 1972/73 season

Trip to nostalgia land. on 12:53 - Sep 10 with 2379 viewsenfieldargh

retroQPR on yuotube has got loads of footage

as has Qpr Memories by the great DaveB

there are also other sites

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Trip to nostalgia land. on 13:21 - Sep 10 with 2292 viewshantssi

Trip to nostalgia land. on 12:17 - Sep 10 by daveB

If you fancy a bit more nostalgia, a review of the 1972/73 season

Just before I started going regularly but brilliant.
One thing I noticed, all fans acknowledged a good goal, even the Millwall fans clapped Don Givens goal at the Den!
Trip to nostalgia land. on 13:51 - Sep 10 with 2242 viewsDaBurgh

Was it mandatory in the 70's for all refs to have a hair parting just a half inch above the ear and to have a running style of someone with a tent peg inserted up thier caboose. Just curious.
Trip to nostalgia land. on 13:57 - Sep 10 with 2216 viewsGaryBannister86

Trip to nostalgia land. on 13:21 - Sep 10 by hantssi

Just before I started going regularly but brilliant.
One thing I noticed, all fans acknowledged a good goal, even the Millwall fans clapped Don Givens goal at the Den!

Yeah I miss that. I am sure when I first started going in the 80s if the opposition goal was a cracker then you applauded it. Just looks so churlish otherwise, that Barnsley away end didn't even clap Trev's overhead kick.

Mind you, I clapped that WBA cracking goal last season at Loftus Road and I swear the little git ran straight over to me to start taking the mickey. Soon turned my hands into another type of salute for him.
Trip to nostalgia land. on 14:45 - Sep 10 with 2121 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Trip to nostalgia land. on 13:51 - Sep 10 by DaBurgh

Was it mandatory in the 70's for all refs to have a hair parting just a half inch above the ear and to have a running style of someone with a tent peg inserted up thier caboose. Just curious.

Ha!
They always remind me of Mr. Mackay when he reffed the game in 'Porridge'.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Trip to nostalgia land. on 15:21 - Sep 10 with 2011 viewsWokingR

Trip to nostalgia land. on 14:45 - Sep 10 by BrianMcCarthy

Ha!
They always remind me of Mr. Mackay when he reffed the game in 'Porridge'.

This.
And it looks like they had Wolverine up from instead of Malcolm McDonald.
Trip to nostalgia land. on 15:50 - Sep 10 with 1974 viewsSonofpugwash

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be.

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

Trip to nostalgia land. on 16:03 - Sep 10 with 1934 viewsNewYorkRanger

Dave Thomas with his socks up! (Well, 1st half at least)

Glory hunter, me

Trip to nostalgia land. on 16:08 - Sep 10 with 1912 viewsFredManRave

After watching that, you can't tell me that you can't dig down at LR.

Some of those fans chins, standing on the sidelines, were level with the playing surface!

I think we've been to dismissive of the idea...

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Trip to nostalgia land. on 16:12 - Sep 10 with 1882 viewsstainrods_elbow

Three lovely goals from the Rs for a very classy win, with Dave Thomas absolutely pivotal, and Phil Parkes also showing he wasn't infallible with a gift for their second. (If his name had been Bergovic, having travelled forward in time, he'd have been getting pelters for that, even though he'd be someone else.)

A ridiculous penalty against Mancini, proving the ref (and his twunt of a linesman) was even stupider than he looked.

Stan was joint 3rd top Div 1 scorer that season with 19 (two behind Mick Channon).

As this was a little before my time, our having finished in 8th as top London club at the end of that season, my question is what went wrong in 74-75, when we declined to a mediocre 11th, before our vintage year.

Do any of our senior fans have an interesting answer to an interesting question?

Poll: How many points will we manage from our first 5 games with this squad?

Trip to nostalgia land. on 16:29 - Sep 10 with 1828 viewsNewYorkRanger

Trip to nostalgia land. on 16:12 - Sep 10 by stainrods_elbow

Three lovely goals from the Rs for a very classy win, with Dave Thomas absolutely pivotal, and Phil Parkes also showing he wasn't infallible with a gift for their second. (If his name had been Bergovic, having travelled forward in time, he'd have been getting pelters for that, even though he'd be someone else.)

A ridiculous penalty against Mancini, proving the ref (and his twunt of a linesman) was even stupider than he looked.

Stan was joint 3rd top Div 1 scorer that season with 19 (two behind Mick Channon).

As this was a little before my time, our having finished in 8th as top London club at the end of that season, my question is what went wrong in 74-75, when we declined to a mediocre 11th, before our vintage year.

Do any of our senior fans have an interesting answer to an interesting question?

Sure, if you want to ask an interesting question I’ll see if I can answer it.

Sorry, just kidding, but couldn’t resist. I am old, but not quite old enough to answer that one

Glory hunter, me

Trip to nostalgia land. on 17:05 - Sep 10 with 1728 viewsDannyPaddox

7374 Rewind by DannyPaddox 20 Apr 2020 13:02
https://i.ibb.co/Y3MTmzM/F86-BDA53-0-AA4-44-C4-A1-BC-8-BD76-D636-F04.jpg

The Rs second season back in the top flight finishing as top London team for the first time in the club’s history. Was looking good for Europe too but ran out of steam towards the end. Nonetheless a magic season. One I’m particularly fond of as I made my debut - in the Shed. A six-goal ding-dong baptism of fire.

My Grandad was pushing Liverpool on me at the time, and he almost succeeded, but I defy you show any 8 year-old that team in that kit back then and they would end up Rangers for life. The tracksuit (above) was pretty special too.

I’ve trawled YouTube and found approximately a third of the season in various shapes and sizes. Will post below.

https://i.ibb.co/tBVtmXH/132-ACCFD-D8-F0-40-E7-AECA-3-BCA976-E43-C1.jpg

Lockdown-era box-set sized thread of 73/74 nostalgia. Some of the links now broken but still a treasure-trove.
Trip to nostalgia land. on 18:00 - Sep 10 with 1597 viewsterryb

Trip to nostalgia land. on 16:12 - Sep 10 by stainrods_elbow

An interesting answer? Probably not.

The 74/75 season started with a regular event, Jim Gregory falling out with the manager! I think Gordon Jago resigned & was re-instated before the start of the season, but it wasn't long before he was on his way.

We started with two away games, drawing at Sheffield United & winning at Leeds (reigning champions), but like recent years, we struggled to win at home. Our first LR win waited until October & we defeated Ipswich in a bottom against top match.

We improved greatly after this & especially after Don Masson arrived. Ipswich possibly should have won the league that season & certainly the FA Cup, with Mills stating in March that we were the best team in the country at that time. This was when the seeds for the 75/76 season were sown.

We also might have won the FA Cup if West Ham hadn't kicked us off the pitch in the 5th round. They did the same against Arsenal in the next round & Ipswich in the semi final. The refereeing in all three matches was a "little" baised towards the thugs of Gould, Robson, Jennings etc. Rangers & Ipswich both had two players injured in the first ten minutes from "strong" challenges.
Trip to nostalgia land. on 18:08 - Sep 10 with 1564 viewsqpr_1968

Trip to nostalgia land. on 18:00 - Sep 10 by terryb

An interesting answer? Probably not.

The 74/75 season started with a regular event, Jim Gregory falling out with the manager! I think Gordon Jago resigned & was re-instated before the start of the season, but it wasn't long before he was on his way.

We started with two away games, drawing at Sheffield United & winning at Leeds (reigning champions), but like recent years, we struggled to win at home. Our first LR win waited until October & we defeated Ipswich in a bottom against top match.

We improved greatly after this & especially after Don Masson arrived. Ipswich possibly should have won the league that season & certainly the FA Cup, with Mills stating in March that we were the best team in the country at that time. This was when the seeds for the 75/76 season were sown.

We also might have won the FA Cup if West Ham hadn't kicked us off the pitch in the 5th round. They did the same against Arsenal in the next round & Ipswich in the semi final. The refereeing in all three matches was a "little" baised towards the thugs of Gould, Robson, Jennings etc. Rangers & Ipswich both had two players injured in the first ten minutes from "strong" challenges.

yep pretty much that......jago going in the september of '74 and sexton taking over in the october....the rest is history.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Trip to nostalgia land. on 18:32 - Sep 10 with 1521 viewsBoston

73/74 8th pts 43 gf 56 ga 52

74/75 11th pts 42 gf 54 ga 54

Really, very little difference between those two seasons. But as terry noted, we were pretty confident we had a damn good squad going into 75/76.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024