Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Under 18s 11:17 - Sep 9 with 3203 viewsderbyhoop

Struggling big time.
Lost 6-0 to Peterborough, after getting thumped 8-0 by Burnley.
No wonder the club aren't putting up reports.l

P5 L5 Pts 0 GD -22
[Post edited 9 Sep 13:06]

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Under 18s on 12:27 - Sep 9 with 2998 viewsRangersw12

Embarrassing

No under 18 team should be losing by those scores
Under 18s on 12:45 - Sep 9 with 2938 viewsLoyalitat

Must still be the fault of Ferdinand and all his accomplices
Under 18s on 13:42 - Sep 9 with 2783 viewsPdog

From what age groups do we field teams, assuming U12 or similar? If so what's the point of 'developing' lads for 6 yrs+ only for them to progress to a key age group to get thumped each game.

Are our best prospects getting snapped up each yr leaving us with scraps by U18? Is it not better just to pick off the falling premier league academy tree as per our recent dev squad recruits, assuming they've had a better development at a higher level elsewhere..

I suppose one or two might come through making it all worthwhile yet what potential can develop in a team getting smashed each week, not to mention reputational damage in the minds of parents/players alike.
Under 18s on 13:57 - Sep 9 with 2718 viewsMaggsinho

I assume with the purge of the development squad a couple of months ago a number of players were promoted from the the U18s so we're fielding a team made of kids who were in the previous year groups before.
Under 18s on 14:10 - Sep 9 with 2647 viewsstevec

Under 18s on 13:42 - Sep 9 by Pdog

From what age groups do we field teams, assuming U12 or similar? If so what's the point of 'developing' lads for 6 yrs+ only for them to progress to a key age group to get thumped each game.

Are our best prospects getting snapped up each yr leaving us with scraps by U18? Is it not better just to pick off the falling premier league academy tree as per our recent dev squad recruits, assuming they've had a better development at a higher level elsewhere..

I suppose one or two might come through making it all worthwhile yet what potential can develop in a team getting smashed each week, not to mention reputational damage in the minds of parents/players alike.

Guessing somebody needs to fill those pitches on our state of the art training ground!

Totally agree. I’d love to hear an answer from the club of the cost of running the whole youth system from under 18 and down.

Our actual financial successes have basically been Eze and he didn’t even come through the system in reality.

All we need, aside of a first team squad is a football combination side where we integrate first teamers not playing very often and academy squad ‘cast offs’ from the cat A clubs and those still mug enough to run cat B squads.
Under 18s on 14:17 - Sep 9 with 2602 viewsThGrimRanger

Under 18s on 12:45 - Sep 9 by Loyalitat

Must still be the fault of Ferdinand and all his accomplices

How long do we have to put up with this kind of irreverent LF related response?

He was DoF on apparently eye-watering wages for 8 years. He hasn't even been replaced and we now feel like a better run club in footballing terms.

I'm sure LF did his best but unfortunately he wasn't up to the job and thankfully he's moved on. If you think differently then you're not paying attention.

TheGrimRanger

Under 18s on 14:57 - Sep 9 with 2476 viewsLoyalitat

Under 18s on 14:17 - Sep 9 by ThGrimRanger

How long do we have to put up with this kind of irreverent LF related response?

He was DoF on apparently eye-watering wages for 8 years. He hasn't even been replaced and we now feel like a better run club in footballing terms.

I'm sure LF did his best but unfortunately he wasn't up to the job and thankfully he's moved on. If you think differently then you're not paying attention.

No irreverence/disrespect shown at all.

On the contrary, it just shows how difficult it is for clubs of our size to be expected to produce a decent number of players at U-18 level, year on year, who will develop into championship players of the future at the very least.

Of course there are exceptions, Millwall's U-18 from last season being very successful in reaching the FA youth semi-finals. However for many reasons, some outside of the control of the club, it cannot be sustained.

I'm not sure if it's the correct route for a club of our size to continue pursuing.
Under 18s on 15:51 - Sep 9 with 2317 viewsLogman

Well if refusing to sign a contract if they are any good is going to become the norm then maybe its best that they are late developers.
Login to get fewer ads

Under 18s on 15:57 - Sep 9 with 2257 viewsE17hoop

Do results at U18 level matter?

I thought it was about coaching players to be better, to develop skills, and to learn. If you're winning games what learning is there? You're in a much better place to lose more and identify the good players and performance, rather than win everything and struggle to identify who's really any good.

Of the U18s not many are likely to sign as first team players - we get 1 or 2 every few years and we know that ratio has to improve. I'd prefer to see players not good enough moved on and the better ones coached to be even better.

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: Who do you want as next Next England manager?

Under 18s on 16:20 - Sep 9 with 2158 viewsRangersw12

Under 18s on 15:57 - Sep 9 by E17hoop

I thought it was about coaching players to be better, to develop skills, and to learn. If you're winning games what learning is there? You're in a much better place to lose more and identify the good players and performance, rather than win everything and struggle to identify who's really any good.

Of the U18s not many are likely to sign as first team players - we get 1 or 2 every few years and we know that ratio has to improve. I'd prefer to see players not good enough moved on and the better ones coached to be even better.

Ultimately the results don't matter but those scores at that age group are extremely poor and we should be more competitive.

I don't know what any of the under 18's will learn by getting smashed every week
Under 18s on 16:22 - Sep 9 with 2143 viewsAntti_Heinola

Under 18s on 14:10 - Sep 9 by stevec

Guessing somebody needs to fill those pitches on our state of the art training ground!

Totally agree. I’d love to hear an answer from the club of the cost of running the whole youth system from under 18 and down.

Our actual financial successes have basically been Eze and he didn’t even come through the system in reality.

All we need, aside of a first team squad is a football combination side where we integrate first teamers not playing very often and academy squad ‘cast offs’ from the cat A clubs and those still mug enough to run cat B squads.

Dunno. Maybe the club think football is at root about community and the least a club that pays out vast sums to footballers can do is run some youth teams, regardless of the benefit of the first team.

Bare bones.

Under 18s on 16:31 - Sep 9 with 2067 viewsEsox_Lucius

Under 18s on 12:27 - Sep 9 by Rangersw12

Embarrassing

No under 18 team should be losing by those scores

Under 18 doesn't mean that they are all 17+ and 18. From recent seasons experience, I wouldn't be surprised if they were nearly all 14-16 yo's.

The grass is always greener.

Under 18s on 16:32 - Sep 9 with 2052 viewsPBLOCK

Do they matter in reality not really

I think the cause for concern is the margin of defeat and to who

With our new training facility and clubs like the mob from SW6 being completely mental in terms of signing anyone we should be looking to attract players who see us as good way to play 1st team football a stepping stone if you like I don’t have a problem saying stepping stone because we in the past have produced / bought players from lower league who have gone on to better things.

As long as we reap some financial reward I’d be happy for that to be our pitch to potential players and parents
Under 18s on 16:43 - Sep 9 with 1981 viewsstevec

If you are a decent player you’d hardly want to stay in a team that loses 6-0 every week.
Under 18s on 17:17 - Sep 9 with 1857 viewsderbyhoop

There was some comment about knowing some youngsters up to Dev Squad. I don't know enough to comment on that.

Fundamentally, we shouldn't expect more than 1 or 2 per year group, to go on to first team. Even that may be optimistic.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Under 18s on 17:33 - Sep 9 with 1791 viewsNed_Kennedys

The team need to be competitive as a minimum I’d say.
Being thumped every game will breed a losing mentality and hardly aids development.
Under 18s on 17:41 - Sep 9 with 1763 viewswortonr

Of course results matter. Success breeds success at all levels. We have been told that all the teams will be playing using the same patterns, theories etc etc. maybe we get hammered because our youngsters have had to change their whole approach and in many case don’t have the ability to adjust to a different style ?
Under 18s on 17:52 - Sep 9 with 1716 viewsDavieQPR

Possible that the club are not bothered with developing u18S any more ,as any decent ones are being poached for peanuts, and are only kept for FFP reasons.
Under 18s on 17:53 - Sep 9 with 1721 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

Under 18s on 13:57 - Sep 9 by Maggsinho

I assume with the purge of the development squad a couple of months ago a number of players were promoted from the the U18s so we're fielding a team made of kids who were in the previous year groups before.

This. A lot of the 18 year old have moved up to Development level due to the purge in the summer.

U18 scores do not matter. The brutal reality is the club have already identified the 2 or 3 (maximum) that will stay next year and move to Development. The rest are there to ensure there is a team.
Under 18s on 19:13 - Sep 9 with 1424 viewsNed_Kennedys

Under 18s on 17:53 - Sep 9 by Wilkinswatercarrier

This. A lot of the 18 year old have moved up to Development level due to the purge in the summer.

U18 scores do not matter. The brutal reality is the club have already identified the 2 or 3 (maximum) that will stay next year and move to Development. The rest are there to ensure there is a team.

Can’t agree with this.
What’s the point in running an under 18 team if that’s the club’s attitude?
And it seems other clubs at our level and below seem to value their U18s more if they can put out teams that beat us so comprehensively.
Under 18s on 19:18 - Sep 9 with 1407 viewsGroveR

The last sentence is the key element. Trävëllmän Hämäläinen being on the books for 8 years was 6 years too long. No disrespect to Aaron Drewe, who's apparently a nice lad, but if you're not progressing to the first team after 3 years, are you suddenly going to crack it in the next 3?

We seem to get so gob-bummed by EPPP in cases like Harvey Elliot and Gilchrist that long contracts are more a liability than fiscally prudent insurance.
Under 18s on 07:35 - Sep 10 with 962 views1JD

Under 18s on 16:31 - Sep 9 by Esox_Lucius

Under 18 doesn't mean that they are all 17+ and 18. From recent seasons experience, I wouldn't be surprised if they were nearly all 14-16 yo's.

It’s only this season that there been a notable fast-tracking process for top talents at different age groups “playing higher” ie. An u16 might be playing for the u18s. Which itself is standard practice for all academies - why we weren’t doing that as a club prior is a bigger question.

All clubs more talented players are often playing in the higher age bracket, so it’s a level playing field. So in reality, there is no excuse for getting absolutely slaughtered week on week, something that pre-dates this season. Last season was a disaster for the u18s also
Under 18s on 08:41 - Sep 10 with 785 viewsgazza1

You can blame LF or whoever but the person who led the Academy, whom is no longer part of the Academy set-up, is the prime reason why we have not seen many players develop as we would want to happen. A lot of things have changed since she departed and there are a lot of things to do to get us 'up & running'.

As far as the poor results, whilst you do not want to see the teams beaten and beaten comfortably the key is improving players to get them ready for 1st Team activity. That will take time because of all of the changes and different mindset of the 'Top Team'.
Under 18s on 09:40 - Sep 10 with 666 viewsMonkey_Roots

Does anyone know the system for developing youngsters at QPR?

I know (or at least I understand it to be) at Brentford (my son was there in the U11 until the end of last season) you trial to get onto their development program, and then once in, there are 3 stages – Development > Advanced > Performance – and players are only eligible for the academy once they reach Performance level.

Although whether or not they actually have an academy yet is still not confirmed - it was supposed to be up and running in the spring, but no parents actually know for sure.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024