Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone Got a Favourite Drive 23:47 - Aug 21 with 3634 viewsBoston

..as in, "I've Been Driving in my Car?"

For any reason, scenic, comfort, heading home, no speed cameras.

I drive a lot, loads of very pleasant memories, but three stick in my head...

1/ Memorial Drive in Cambridge, Massachusetts, from just north of Harvard down to the Science Museum. Drive it 4/5 times a week, whatever the season, it's lovely to look out over the river and downtown Boston.
2/California's route 1. No explanation required.
3/ Driving north from Dunoon in Scotland, heading up to Fort William, what a wonderful part of the country.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Anyone Got a Favourite Drive on 23:50 - Aug 21 with 2742 viewsbosh67

Lacie rugged USBc 5TB 7200 RPM... sorry, what are we talking about?

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Anyone Got a Favourite Drive on 23:54 - Aug 21 with 2726 viewsHooping_Mad

M5 Somerset, lovely views and plenty of time to enjoy them with an average speed of around 5 mph on a good day.

Sticks in my head as not upgraded since it was built, can be relied upon to ruin your day.

Gordano is still an incredible piece of engineering though. the hillside is almost sheer hence why the carriageways are on different levels.
[Post edited 22 Aug 11:28]

Chairman of the Junior Hoilett appreciation society

Anyone Got a Favourite Drive on 23:56 - Aug 21 with 2723 viewsHooping_Mad

Anyone Got a Favourite Drive on 23:50 - Aug 21 by bosh67

Lacie rugged USBc 5TB 7200 RPM... sorry, what are we talking about?

Watch out for the power supplies on Lacie's

Chairman of the Junior Hoilett appreciation society

Anyone Got a Favourite Drive on 00:04 - Aug 22 with 2707 viewsGaryHaddock

A9 through the Cairngorms
Anyone Got a Favourite Drive on 00:12 - Aug 22 with 2686 viewsHAYESBOY

I wasn't driving but I was in the van with one of my engineers.

We drove from Stirling all the way up the A9 to Inverness. Took about 3.5 hrs. Unbelievable scenery along the way.

Smells like a trout farm in here

Anyone Got a Favourite Drive on 06:17 - Aug 22 with 2551 viewsMick_S

The north coastal route in Northern Ireland. Quiet, easy and absolutely stunning.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Anyone Got a Favourite Drive on 06:59 - Aug 22 with 2525 viewsDesertBoot

The Cotswolds. Just two hours from London and lovely to drive from village to village taking in the tranquility, thatched roofs and quaint high streets.

Wish I could be like David Watts

Anyone Got a Favourite Drive on 08:08 - Aug 22 with 2437 viewsSpaceman_P

A29 Sussex and Surrey, always loved my drives home from the M25 and also heading out to sea in way of Bognor Regis.
Login to get fewer ads

Anyone Got a Favourite Drive on 08:37 - Aug 22 with 2415 viewshantssi

M27 through the roadworks again!
Anyone Got a Favourite Drive on 08:47 - Aug 22 with 2390 viewsDWQPR

Anyone Got a Favourite Drive on 08:37 - Aug 22 by hantssi

M27 through the roadworks again!

Yep, six miles and two more years of the Highways Agency deciding to overlay the concrete surface with tarmac ‘to make our journeys more enjoyable!’ What a waste of £83million. Just fill in the fûcking potholes with that money then I’ll enjoy the journey better. And as for the reduced land size, can just about fit the width of my car in the middle lane, and pray for my wing mirrors to survive!

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Anyone Got a Favourite Drive on 08:59 - Aug 22 with 2356 viewsEsox_Lucius

The M40 from J11 to Loftus Road.

The grass is always greener.

Anyone Got a Favourite Drive on 09:17 - Aug 22 with 2310 viewslangtoft

Rhayader to Devils Bridge via Cwmystwyth - through the Cambrian mountains. Often featured on Top Gear etc. Stunning views, little traffic, waterfalls and 'big hills' but don't tell anyone!
[Post edited 22 Aug 9:17]
Anyone Got a Favourite Drive on 09:21 - Aug 22 with 2297 viewsGaryBannister86

Amalfi Coast clifftop drive. Did it when I was a lot younger. Can barely drive in twilight now, never mind 2 foot from the edge of a sheer cliff so glad I did it then. Distinctly remember locals overtaking me in unbelievable positions.
Anyone Got a Favourite Drive on 14:26 - Aug 22 with 2000 viewsStreathamRanger

I've been in the Dordogne the last two weeks and the driving round here has been an absolute pleasure. All winding roads, Chateaus and medieval villages. Roads in France are generally so much better than ours.
Anyone Got a Favourite Drive on 14:42 - Aug 22 with 1959 viewskomradkirk

The Antrim Coast Road is as good as anywhere in the world.
I may be biased as it only takes eight miles from my house to the start of it.
Small villages and charming towns all the way up to the North Coast with Scotland clearly visible most of the way.
Plenty of good Guinness and food stops if you're not driving. Game of Thrones scenery and actual sets aplenty en route.
Go as little or as far as you need to.
My easiest access point is Ballygally where i would go regularly to just sit and watch the sea and have an ice cream.The Ballygally Castle Hotel has a couple of ghosts which is nice for the tourists.
Bit of a Co.Antrim tourist board post but it is a lovely drive.
Anyone Got a Favourite Drive on 15:01 - Aug 22 with 1881 viewsCateLeBonR

There’s a Roman road a few miles west of Dorchester in Dorset that splits off the A35. Up and over Egerdon Hill and past Egerdon fort, before dropping down into the village of Powerstock. It’s basically a one track road at times but I’ve driven over it a few times now, it’s a great spot. A stop off at The Marquis of Lorne pub is a must.
Anyone Got a Favourite Drive on 15:03 - Aug 22 with 1865 viewsEsox_Lucius

On a more relevant note than my previous post; the drive from Goldsboro NC to Knoxvillle TN through the Smokey Mountains is a real Marmite drive for me, most times it is breath-taking scenery with Dolly Parton blasting out (you have to really) but the time I had to drive through the night in torrential rain gave me a headache for days, scary as fück with no lights and opposite camber.

The grass is always greener.

Anyone Got a Favourite Drive on 15:10 - Aug 22 with 1801 viewsenfieldargh

The A68 from Darlington up to Edinburgh is like a very long roller coaster.

Pilochry to Bridge of Cally A924 then A93 all the way to Aberdeen

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Anyone Got a Favourite Drive on 15:35 - Aug 22 with 1716 viewsBoston

Anyone Got a Favourite Drive on 15:03 - Aug 22 by Esox_Lucius

On a more relevant note than my previous post; the drive from Goldsboro NC to Knoxvillle TN through the Smokey Mountains is a real Marmite drive for me, most times it is breath-taking scenery with Dolly Parton blasting out (you have to really) but the time I had to drive through the night in torrential rain gave me a headache for days, scary as fück with no lights and opposite camber.

...all that and the wrong side of the road.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Anyone Got a Favourite Drive on 18:03 - Aug 22 with 1405 viewshantssi

Anyone Got a Favourite Drive on 08:47 - Aug 22 by DWQPR

Yep, six miles and two more years of the Highways Agency deciding to overlay the concrete surface with tarmac ‘to make our journeys more enjoyable!’ What a waste of £83million. Just fill in the fûcking potholes with that money then I’ll enjoy the journey better. And as for the reduced land size, can just about fit the width of my car in the middle lane, and pray for my wing mirrors to survive!

I wouldn’t be quite so bad if they hadn’t of had it dug up for nearly 5 years to turn it into a “smart” motorway!!
Opened less than 2 years ago!
Why on earth couldn’t they have carried out the re-surfacing works then?🤬
I have to drive the length of the roadworks to/from work every bloody day, it more than doubles my commute time🤬
Anyone Got a Favourite Drive on 18:20 - Aug 22 with 1389 viewsloftboy

I’m driving from Lowestoft to Hayle in Cornwall this weekend via my sisters in the Cotswolds.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Anyone Got a Favourite Drive on 18:30 - Aug 22 with 1371 viewshantssi

Back on topic, Hardknott Pass in the Lake District.
Anyone Got a Favourite Drive on 20:45 - Aug 22 with 1230 viewsSpaceman_P

Anyone Got a Favourite Drive on 15:03 - Aug 22 by Esox_Lucius

I did this when visiting friends in TN, at night... absolutely shat myself cos the driver had had a few beers prior.
Anyone Got a Favourite Drive on 20:50 - Aug 22 with 1213 viewsToast_R

The Mad Mile on the A217 in my imaginary XR2, until they restricted it.
Anyone Got a Favourite Drive on 23:49 - Aug 22 with 1112 viewsWoog

UK:
Stubbings Lane, a (very) minor road off the B6160 that climbs along the River Wharfe in the Yorkshire Dales; in Upper Wharfedale the road above Yockenthwaite parallels the river for miles with beautiful places to stop, paddle, picnic etc. The road reaches a peak with stunning views over the Dales and far away the Lake District before dropping down to Gayle near Hawes.

Europe:
The Splugen Pass - scary, stunning, exhilarating.
[Post edited 22 Aug 23:53]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024