Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Losing my LFW virginity to remember a dear friend and for a worthy cause 14:30 - Aug 21 with 7938 viewsDominkingston

Hi all. Like many who read this forum I have often meant to post but not gone round to it until now. I’d like to introduce myself and most importantly tell you about a dear friend and fellow R who we lost last year, how wonderful our club were to him, and a good cause in his name.
But first I must add my sincere thanks to Clive for all he does (and helping me finally get this post on the forum) and all of you here who never fail to make me smile. I’d also like to thank Dave and all at AKUTRS for their dedication and especially Julie who always brightens up a match day.
So I’m Dom in Kingston and some of you may recognise me as I used to regularly call in to Phil Parry’s show on BBC London in the ‘90s. Born in ‘62 and early years brought up by Chelski Dad including a home made Peter Bonetti outfit when 5 years old. Move on a few years and when first watching the Big Match in the late ‘60s I had my epiphany and started my journey on the roller coaster ride we have all been on since we first fell for the team in blue and white hoops. My first game was WHUFC at LR in ‘74 and took my younger brother (himself a life long hammer). We lost 0-2 but I was hooked and spent the ‘70s either in the Loft or East Paddock before graduating to the Ellerslie Road from the ‘80s onwards. My parents were publicans and amongst their pubs were the Robert Peel here in KIngston and the KIngs Head on the Fulham Palace Road. Both pubs long gone now. Maybe some of you enjoyed my Mums (Pam) hospitality or were barred by my Dad (Tony)? I originally went to St Paul’s in Hammersmith (a public school) but at 13 I was taken out (my headmaster once wrote that ‘Dominic’s vocabulary was more akin to the public bar than the public school”) and sent to Sir Walter St John’s (Sinjuns) Grammar School in Battersea. I arrived with the accent of Lord Snooty and soon got that kicked out of me. The school was split 50/50 between those two teams we love to hate but there was a handful of us who kept the blue and white flag flying…..like many of you of a similar age we never had it so good as that team in the mid ‘70s. My old school mates and I still meet up (where did the last 50 years go?) and the two of us who are loyal R’sss have to suffer the slings and arrows from those that follow those other two teams, but we give as good as we get. You can see from my Avatar (thanks to Art of Football a treasured possession) who is my eternal hero. So many memories of Stan and what we now call ‘different times’….like you all I could drone on for hours but there was one goal that stands out……looking on from the paddock as Tony Currie hit an Exocet on the volley from a sublime pass by Stan against FFC back in ‘79. Although the best goal I have ever seen was of course Trevors.
So here we are in 2024 and the love affair endures no matter how infuriating our team has been for what has been too long.
Sadly one person who is no longer with us is my dear friend and fellow R - Rick Bewsey - who I first met when I joined the CAA in 1990 and with whom I shared many happy times either at LR or on the road with our families. I remember a few years ago the two of us being the only ones in the Goldhawk for a midweek game against Waaallll when the pub was suddenly invaded by what seemed 100’s of the c**ts in their pink polo shirts. In seconds the pub was surrounded by riot police and Rick remained calm throughout until they finally left and we got a beer on the house for being brave…although we were sh*tting ourselves. The Goldhawk was our home from home and it was there that we heard “no points deduction’ before the Leeds game. What a p*ss up that was only matched by the one after THAT game at Wembley and THAT goal by Bobbie……we shared those celebrations with our kids and great friends the Holdings and Ingles and I know they read this forum so a big shout out to them! Rick was one of the kindest people I have ever known and I always aspired to be like him. Even in the darkest times for our club he always said “Keep the Faith’ and for every game predicted a ‘nervy 2-1 to the R’s’. We lost Rick last year after the bravest of battles against a brain tumour that we thought he had beaten only for it to return. Those who knew and loved him miss him very much. His eldest Mark is running the London marathon next year in aid of St Catherines hospice that took such good care of Rick. I have asked Mark to provide a few words and to tell you how wonderful our club were to Rick and his family…..

‘ Dad chose to support QPR when taken by his Dad in 1966 to a London game chosen at random which happened to be QPR 6-1 Millwall. He was hooked and now we have 3 generations of R's fans in the family, including 4 grandkids who are/ will be QPR fans, one (Harrison) who aged 6 is utterly obsessed even though he's yet to see a win (he's been 7 times).
The club were incredible when they found out about Dad's illness . We were hosted by Ruben in the Directors box for a game in December 2022, and extremely well looked after. Paul Morrissey (PR) and Andy Sinton in particular were so good, but it has to be said that it was Ruben who reached out and supported us, was very generous and gave us so much time.
Having been going since 1966 and sitting mainly in the loft or ER stand, his final game was in the Directors box. Sadly his health declined rapidly after that point. The club were keen to help introduce the next generation and my son had a wonderful pitch side experience last season
This all coincided with awful form on the pitch, but the personnel around the club couldn't have been better and made us even more proud to support the R's.’

If any of you knew Rick and/or would like to make a donation to this worthy cause then Marks link is:

https://www.justgiving.com/page/mark-bewsey

I feel I have already outstayed my welcome so will say Ta Ta for now. If you have got this far then my sincere thanks and before I go…..I love cheese and if pushed it would have to be Cashel Blue…..Cheers. It would only be fitting in Ricks honour to go for a “nervy 2-1” this weekend.

U R’ssssssssss!!

Losing my LFW virginity to remember a dear friend and for a worthy cause on 16:05 - Aug 21 with 5017 viewsconnell10

Hello mate , what a lovely read , welcome to the madhouse.

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Losing my LFW virginity to remember a dear friend and for a worthy cause on 16:19 - Aug 21 with 4931 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Welcome aboard, Dom!

What an epic first post, and what a lovely tribute to your friend Rick.

I liked it so much that I'm going to try and block out that you picked a cheese from Tipperary and not Cork!

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Losing my LFW virginity to remember a dear friend and for a worthy cause on 16:57 - Aug 21 with 4747 viewsDominkingston

Losing my LFW virginity to remember a dear friend and for a worthy cause on 16:05 - Aug 21 by connell10

Hello mate , what a lovely read , welcome to the madhouse.

Thank you! Much appreciated. Clive was a star to help me get it posted. Can I just say that when I read your posts I always hear them read in the voice of Blakey? And same with QpunkR and Rays voice etc? Anyone else get that or is it just my madness?
Losing my LFW virginity to remember a dear friend and for a worthy cause on 17:03 - Aug 21 with 4724 viewsDominkingston

Losing my LFW virginity to remember a dear friend and for a worthy cause on 16:19 - Aug 21 by BrianMcCarthy

Welcome aboard, Dom!

What an epic first post, and what a lovely tribute to your friend Rick.

I liked it so much that I'm going to try and block out that you picked a cheese from Tipperary and not Cork!

Sláinte Brian. Thank you also for your kind words. I have long admired your wisdom and posts on match threads….as for the cheese….my apologies…..having been to Cork I do remember one….Coolea I think it was called….never seen it over here but it was one of the best I’ve ever had…..looking forward to future exchanges!!
Losing my LFW virginity to remember a dear friend and for a worthy cause on 17:18 - Aug 21 with 4643 viewsterryb

Losing my LFW virginity to remember a dear friend and for a worthy cause on 17:03 - Aug 21 by Dominkingston

Sláinte Brian. Thank you also for your kind words. I have long admired your wisdom and posts on match threads….as for the cheese….my apologies…..having been to Cork I do remember one….Coolea I think it was called….never seen it over here but it was one of the best I’ve ever had…..looking forward to future exchanges!!

Welcome Dom & thank you for such a good first post.

More importanly, RIP to your friend Rick & well done to the club for how they treated him.
Losing my LFW virginity to remember a dear friend and for a worthy cause on 18:10 - Aug 21 with 4460 viewsDominkingston

Losing my LFW virginity to remember a dear friend and for a worthy cause on 17:18 - Aug 21 by terryb

Welcome Dom & thank you for such a good first post.

More importanly, RIP to your friend Rick & well done to the club for how they treated him.

Thank you Terry. Like us all if you cut Rick he would bleed blue and white. Walking up THE road with each of our children in hand for their first game is one of my most special memories….I am sure many of you on here have made that same walk with your children and grandchildren. As Ricks son Mark said…..his boy is obsessed with all things QPR and they are our future!
Losing my LFW virginity to remember a dear friend and for a worthy cause on 19:36 - Aug 21 with 4192 viewsBlackCrowe

Welcome Dom and a fab fab first post from someone who lives in your manor on the North side

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Losing my LFW virginity to remember a dear friend and for a worthy cause on 20:07 - Aug 21 with 4109 viewsDominkingston

Losing my LFW virginity to remember a dear friend and for a worthy cause on 19:36 - Aug 21 by BlackCrowe

Welcome Dom and a fab fab first post from someone who lives in your manor on the North side

Aaaah! Black Crowe! I always thought you were local….I’m a Hawk….this reply may not be read by anyone but I’ll just say I also like your posts…..are you the guy who parks in my local Asda with the ultimate QPR livery on his car….amazing! If not then you all on here have to see it! A true work of art! He must be on here!
Login to get fewer ads

Losing my LFW virginity to remember a dear friend and for a worthy cause on 20:42 - Aug 21 with 3888 viewsMick_S

Lovely post, Dom. Make sure you stick around mate.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Losing my LFW virginity to remember a dear friend and for a worthy cause on 20:44 - Aug 21 with 3874 viewsSunnyVanGo

Perfectly poignant read. Thank you and good luck to you and yours.
Losing my LFW virginity to remember a dear friend and for a worthy cause on 21:23 - Aug 21 with 3669 viewsqpr_1968

welcome dom, great first and touching post.
rip to your mate rick...

drank in both those pubs your parents ran.
and loved the old goldhawk, drank in there right up until it closed a few years ago, was also the father in laws regular for years.

like you i've marched the kids/grandkids/nephews and nieces down to loftus road over the years, plus numerous away games.

see you around...

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Losing my LFW virginity to remember a dear friend and for a worthy cause on 21:29 - Aug 21 with 3637 viewsDominkingston

Losing my LFW virginity to remember a dear friend and for a worthy cause on 20:42 - Aug 21 by Mick_S

Thank you also! I’ll do my best! Ricks family are blown away by the reaction from you all. He was the best of us…..on his last visit to LR Sir Les bowed down before him…how to post a photo on here??
Losing my LFW virginity to remember a dear friend and for a worthy cause on 21:33 - Aug 21 with 3600 viewsconnell10

Losing my LFW virginity to remember a dear friend and for a worthy cause on 16:57 - Aug 21 by Dominkingston

Thank you! Much appreciated. Clive was a star to help me get it posted. Can I just say that when I read your posts I always hear them read in the voice of Blakey? And same with QpunkR and Rays voice etc? Anyone else get that or is it just my madness?

I hate you Butler, come on get this bloody bus out .

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Losing my LFW virginity to remember a dear friend and for a worthy cause on 21:34 - Aug 21 with 3581 viewsDominkingston

Losing my LFW virginity to remember a dear friend and for a worthy cause on 20:44 - Aug 21 by SunnyVanGo

Perfectly poignant read. Thank you and good luck to you and yours.

Thank you Venn diagram ! I’ll do my best to add something positive even if when all is black black black….’keep the faith’……
Losing my LFW virginity to remember a dear friend and for a worthy cause on 21:41 - Aug 21 with 3541 viewsDominkingston

Thank you Venn diagram! I will try to add some positivity in my posts…..for example….I bought tickets for me and my eldest to go to Scumford Bridge….we were on a hiding to nothing…..as we all know a little man with a long name scored a goal…….madness….not seen since Clive scored that goal infront of us on the North Bank…..
Losing my LFW virginity to remember a dear friend and for a worthy cause on 21:46 - Aug 21 with 3504 viewsBlackCrowe

Losing my LFW virginity to remember a dear friend and for a worthy cause on 20:07 - Aug 21 by Dominkingston

Aaaah! Black Crowe! I always thought you were local….I’m a Hawk….this reply may not be read by anyone but I’ll just say I also like your posts…..are you the guy who parks in my local Asda with the ultimate QPR livery on his car….amazing! If not then you all on here have to see it! A true work of art! He must be on here!

No that's not me Dom, but there's a car fitting that description that is stationed in the private car park behind Greggs on Ham Parade. Haven't a clue who owns it.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Losing my LFW virginity to remember a dear friend and for a worthy cause on 21:47 - Aug 21 with 3504 viewsDominkingston

Losing my LFW virginity to remember a dear friend and for a worthy cause on 21:33 - Aug 21 by connell10

I hate you Butler, come on get this bloody bus out .

Yes!! Thank you!! I hear you!!Different times…..
Losing my LFW virginity to remember a dear friend and for a worthy cause on 21:54 - Aug 21 with 3464 viewsDominkingston

Losing my LFW virginity to remember a dear friend and for a worthy cause on 21:46 - Aug 21 by BlackCrowe

No that's not me Dom, but there's a car fitting that description that is stationed in the private car park behind Greggs on Ham Parade. Haven't a clue who owns it.

Ahh! Shame it’s not yours! I have a ‘We Are QPR ‘ with classic logo that has been in my back window for 20+ years and seven cars and still going strong….not a patch on his! Must get a photo and post it….it is truly the QPR mobile…..
Losing my LFW virginity to remember a dear friend and for a worthy cause on 22:02 - Aug 21 with 3422 viewsDominkingston

Losing my LFW virginity to remember a dear friend and for a worthy cause on 21:23 - Aug 21 by qpr_1968

welcome dom, great first and touching post.
rip to your mate rick...

drank in both those pubs your parents ran.
and loved the old goldhawk, drank in there right up until it closed a few years ago, was also the father in laws regular for years.

like you i've marched the kids/grandkids/nephews and nieces down to loftus road over the years, plus numerous away games.

see you around...

Ah! Thank you ‘68….then you may be old enough to remember what my dear departed Mum brought to the public house to entertain gentlemen? Different times! It seems that there are always new batches of R’s popping out despite everything to push them to the PL….and yes see you around…..cheers!
Losing my LFW virginity to remember a dear friend and for a worthy cause on 22:12 - Aug 21 with 3398 viewsDominkingston

Losing my LFW virginity to remember a dear friend and for a worthy cause on 20:42 - Aug 21 by Mick_S

Thank you Mick and for your welcome! Now my cherry is gone I look forward to making a positive contribution here….and look forward to witty banters with you all!! U R’sssssss
Losing my LFW virginity to remember a dear friend and for a worthy cause on 22:13 - Aug 21 with 3388 viewsLblock

My God.... that got me right in the solar-plexus.....

I've been drifting away from the club a bit since COVID but you read something like that and you realise it can be a special old mad box of frogs sometimes.
I just cannot imagine the Yanks from that lot down the road having that personal touch about 'em.

Thanks for the read and my thoughts to your old mucka and his family

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Losing my LFW virginity to remember a dear friend and for a worthy cause on 22:31 - Aug 21 with 3348 viewsDominkingston

Losing my LFW virginity to remember a dear friend and for a worthy cause on 22:13 - Aug 21 by Lblock

My God.... that got me right in the solar-plexus.....

I've been drifting away from the club a bit since COVID but you read something like that and you realise it can be a special old mad box of frogs sometimes.
I just cannot imagine the Yanks from that lot down the road having that personal touch about 'em.

Thanks for the read and my thoughts to your old mucka and his family

LBlock! My man! If anything this post has done then it seems to have moved people! As you say you’ve been gone a while but if you’re back then f-ing fantastic!! But I have to say…like Connell10 all I can hear are your words in the voice of Chris…..and that’s no bad thing either! As you would say…. “Due to a printing error, tomorrow’s Telegraph is full of water.” Cheers. Hope to enjoy many more banters with you!!
Losing my LFW virginity to remember a dear friend and for a worthy cause on 22:56 - Aug 21 with 3262 viewsLblock

Losing my LFW virginity to remember a dear friend and for a worthy cause on 22:31 - Aug 21 by Dominkingston

LBlock! My man! If anything this post has done then it seems to have moved people! As you say you’ve been gone a while but if you’re back then f-ing fantastic!! But I have to say…like Connell10 all I can hear are your words in the voice of Chris…..and that’s no bad thing either! As you would say…. “Due to a printing error, tomorrow’s Telegraph is full of water.” Cheers. Hope to enjoy many more banters with you!!

The genius of Chris.... years ahead of himself.

It was The Guardian by the way!!!!

Always worth a re-watch

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Losing my LFW virginity to remember a dear friend and for a worthy cause on 23:11 - Aug 21 with 3238 viewsDominkingston

Losing my LFW virginity to remember a dear friend and for a worthy cause on 22:56 - Aug 21 by Lblock

The genius of Chris.... years ahead of himself.

It was The Guardian by the way!!!!

Always worth a re-watch

Aaahh! Of course! As you say….the genius of Chris….thanks for posting and can I add….if memory serves….in your own words….is: “People say that alcohol’s a drug. It’s not a drug, it’s a drink!”
Losing my LFW virginity to remember a dear friend and for a worthy cause on 23:55 - Aug 21 with 3117 viewsCateLeBonR

Rule number 1 of LFW.

Do not upset Brian with your first post!

Nice recovery with the Coolea recommendation.
Welcome.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024