Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Over-rated books 20:41 - Aug 20 with 8595 viewsLogman

OK, so we've done under-rated books, over and under-rated players, films and food. That just leaves over-rated books.

Not the most exciting of threads (not expecting more than one page) but if it saves me 3 months of tedium trying to unravel a storyline in 100 Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez then it will make my daily commute a lot less painstaking.

Another nominee for the trash can, The Alchemist by Paolo Coelho. The first few chapters promise a magical mystery tour but then it just seems to turn into the equivalent of a journey on the Central Line, with engineering works.

Any other literary works to be given the Satanic Verses Treatment ?
Over-rated books on 18:46 - Aug 21 with 1417 viewsBlackCrowe

Shantaram, vaguely entertaining but the author is such a self-preening @rse. The Beach was a load of old shite too.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Over-rated books on 18:57 - Aug 21 with 1386 viewsHoopstar

I picked up Shantaram when I was 19 and stoned wandering around India and thought it was the best thing ever written. Tried to read it again fifteen years later and came to the conclusion I was mistaken.
Over-rated books on 19:02 - Aug 21 with 1364 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Over-rated books on 18:07 - Aug 21 by Gus_iom

'Grapes of Wrath' inspired the revolutionary fervour in me.

True, me too. Orwell as well.

But Steinbeck never wrote in an overblown manner. Words were words. 'Grapes of Wrath' was underplayed, if anything. And all the moreeffective for it. The only time I thought he spilled into opinions, and then only slightly, was 'Travels with Charley', and then as an old man maybe he thought it was ok to opine.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Over-rated books on 22:03 - Aug 21 with 1130 viewscolinallcars

Over-rated books on 13:51 - Aug 21 by loftboy

The bible or any other religious crap designed to keep the poor in line.

You're not George Gershwin in disguise are you ?

The things that you're liable
To read in the bible,
It ain't necessarily so…
Over-rated books on 22:10 - Aug 21 with 1108 viewslightwaterhoop

Over-rated books on 19:02 - Aug 21 by BrianMcCarthy

True, me too. Orwell as well.

But Steinbeck never wrote in an overblown manner. Words were words. 'Grapes of Wrath' was underplayed, if anything. And all the moreeffective for it. The only time I thought he spilled into opinions, and then only slightly, was 'Travels with Charley', and then as an old man maybe he thought it was ok to opine.

East of Eden was his masterpiece i read it when i was very young and it knocked me out then.I'm a bit scared to reread it TBH in case it disappoints me.But as this post is about overrated books can i go for anything by William Faulkner.I tried a couple of them as he is highly rated in some circles but gave up each time.
Over-rated books on 22:42 - Aug 21 with 1024 viewsPhildo

I love a lot of the books mentioned above but I nominate DH Lawrence and Hilary Mantel for room 101.
Over-rated books on 23:16 - Aug 21 with 961 views222gers

Over-rated books on 22:03 - Aug 21 by colinallcars

You're not George Gershwin in disguise are you ?

The things that you're liable
To read in the bible,
It ain't necessarily so…

They that have truth as their shield and buckler shall know the Lord
They that seeketh not the Lord shall know but the dust from his valance

That Johnny Rotten knew a thing or two.
Over-rated books on 07:46 - Aug 22 with 839 viewsHoopstar

My contribution is almost every last novel written about the upper classes in 18th to early 19th century - with the exception of Jane Austen. Her novels are not for me, but I can concede their importance and do like them as a riposte to the rubbish sensibility novels of her time.

Books like Bridehead Revisited and Daniel Deronda have always left me utterly cold.
Login to get fewer ads

Over-rated books on 13:06 - Aug 22 with 669 viewsSonofpugwash

Anything by Shakespeare.

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

Over-rated books on 13:17 - Aug 22 with 627 viewsdmm

Over-rated books on 13:06 - Aug 22 by Sonofpugwash

Anything by Shakespeare.

Over-rated books on 14:39 - Aug 22 with 494 viewsdandaqpr

Swallows and Amazons . I tried to read it to my then , seven year old daughter. We called it “ the book that never ends “ unless you understood nautical terms, it was tedious and bamboozling .
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024