Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Happy New Season 13:59 - Aug 10 with 3311 viewsmikehunt

What are your realistic expectations? For me play-offs, 3rd round of the FA Cup and maybe give the Trophy a go.

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

Happy New Season on 14:34 - Aug 10 with 3217 viewsEdindale

Play offs would be a good achievement and any other successes would be a bonus.
Happy New Season on 14:57 - Aug 10 with 3126 views49thseason

Happy New Season on 14:34 - Aug 10 by Edindale

Play offs would be a good achievement and any other successes would be a bonus.

Agreed, this season has to be a stepping stone to better things, being somewhere in the top third with an attacking style of play, and a return to " fortress Spotland " would be an excellent set of ambitions. If we can win a few games that we would have drawn or lost last season we will be on our way... scoring a hatfull of goals in the process would entice more back to watch games at the COA....and a virtuous cycle will start to improve everything, especially now we have some real business know-how running the place....Early days but the atmosphere has improved significantly
Happy New Season on 20:53 - Aug 21 with 2463 viewshenrykang

Playoffs would be a fantastic accomplishment, and any other feats would be a bonus. https://mapsdriving-directions.io/
Happy New Season on 07:41 - Aug 22 with 2150 viewsseasidedale

Happy to get to play offs but still think we are 2 players short, a centre back and a centre forward, you know the 20 goal a season player nobody want who will come here for nothing and paid a pittance
Happy New Season on 08:13 - Aug 22 with 2101 viewsTalkingSutty

Happy New Season on 07:41 - Aug 22 by seasidedale

Happy to get to play offs but still think we are 2 players short, a centre back and a centre forward, you know the 20 goal a season player nobody want who will come here for nothing and paid a pittance

It doesn't have to be a play off place this season ( great if it is). We wanted a more progressive style of playing and we are already seeing that. We wanted a stronger squad, we've got that and so has the manager. The Boardroom have backed him. We can all identify areas of the squad that need improving, conceding poor goals and being wasteful in front of goal/ overplaying is something that needs sorting out. A top ten finish with a squad that is showing improvement and needs a few additions next summer is the minimum we should expect and i include the manager and players in that. The only way to increase attendances is to put a winning team on the pitch, you go to the game to be entertained and see your team win.
Happy New Season on 08:38 - Aug 22 with 2049 viewswheniwasyourage

10th
No cup runs
Happy New Season on 09:03 - Aug 22 with 1990 viewsTrev

We finished 11th last season, 9 points off the play offs with a tiny squad. The goal absolutely has to be the play offs but, as a minimum, we should be looking to close the gap and build a foundation for a big push next season.
Happy New Season on 10:29 - Aug 22 with 1823 views49thseason

Happy New Season on 09:03 - Aug 22 by Trev

We finished 11th last season, 9 points off the play offs with a tiny squad. The goal absolutely has to be the play offs but, as a minimum, we should be looking to close the gap and build a foundation for a big push next season.

We also need to realise that it will take time to build the off-pitch commercial machine needed to put cash into the footballing side of things. These two elements have to work hand in hand, the product on the pitch has to be good enough to attract and sustain new supporters and sponsors.
I doubt the building of new training facilities will happen this season and the re-development of commercial activities will not happen overnight, meanwhile, the manager will have to the best he can with the available resources.. its a balancing act and probably a little unsteady right now but with time things will start to improve.
Login to get fewer ads

Happy New Season on 10:45 - Aug 22 with 1808 viewsDuckegg

I agree about the squad being a couple of players short and the positions in question.

Also to push on and improve the manager has to change things on the pitch if it is not working but is McNulty capable of doing that!

An imrovement for me would be less goals conceeded and more points than last season.
Happy New Season on 11:54 - Aug 22 with 1662 viewsDalenet

Happy New Season on 10:29 - Aug 22 by 49thseason

We also need to realise that it will take time to build the off-pitch commercial machine needed to put cash into the footballing side of things. These two elements have to work hand in hand, the product on the pitch has to be good enough to attract and sustain new supporters and sponsors.
I doubt the building of new training facilities will happen this season and the re-development of commercial activities will not happen overnight, meanwhile, the manager will have to the best he can with the available resources.. its a balancing act and probably a little unsteady right now but with time things will start to improve.

The manager has chosen his new players and is building a new squad. It will take time for them to gel, but it is now his squad. The playing budget can only grow of the club grows, and we need to play well to get people into the ground. And of course a cup run or two would help. We now have a stable club and so he doesn't need to be looking over his shoulder or worrying whether the players will be paid. Its in his hands now and I hope he does well. With our budget, we should be in the play-offs. Whilst we haven't got the result we deserved (last Saturday) or hoped for on Tuesday, the squad has talent and speed. I am delighted that the manager is getting us to attack more.
Happy New Season on 12:23 - Aug 22 with 1625 views1949er

14th no cup runs

Poll: Where will we finish this season?

Happy New Season on 12:54 - Aug 22 with 1537 viewsdavidab2202

Happy New Season on 10:45 - Aug 22 by Duckegg

I agree about the squad being a couple of players short and the positions in question.

Also to push on and improve the manager has to change things on the pitch if it is not working but is McNulty capable of doing that!

An imrovement for me would be less goals conceeded and more points than last season.

I am sure that there is an awareness of the need for a couple of signings in the positions suggested, but think that they will be made by signing loan players as from a quick check think we have only a couple of loan players in the squad as it stands
Don't think the transfer window restrictions apply to clubs at our level either so the deals whilst it would be nice to get them done sooner rather than later don't necessarily have to be done by next week
Happy New Season on 13:21 - Aug 22 with 1462 viewsTrev

Happy New Season on 12:23 - Aug 22 by 1949er

14th no cup runs

Disaster.
Happy New Season on 13:42 - Aug 22 with 1397 viewsD_Alien

Happy New Season on 12:54 - Aug 22 by davidab2202

I am sure that there is an awareness of the need for a couple of signings in the positions suggested, but think that they will be made by signing loan players as from a quick check think we have only a couple of loan players in the squad as it stands
Don't think the transfer window restrictions apply to clubs at our level either so the deals whilst it would be nice to get them done sooner rather than later don't necessarily have to be done by next week

If JM utilised the loan market, players he's signed will have to make way and that will inevitably cause a degree of unrest - it's human nature. Management is about winning, and the jury is still out on whether JM has what it takes to manage a squad in a way that can accommodate better players whilst keeping those left out on board

In his selections at York, perhaps there was an element of that involved, i.e. "it's your turn tonight". if it was intended as a learning curve to see players in the heat of a tough encounter, fair enough. But for the team to gel (as someone else mentioned) there needs to be consistency

It's been said before, but... we shall see

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Happy New Season on 16:07 - Aug 22 with 1166 viewsblackdogblue

Got to be the play offs or a decent run in the FA Cup to get much needed income from bigger teams the more we progress for me…

Other cups don’t generate huge prize money but any trophy I would take

Poll: Prediction League ... Continue or have a World Cup Break?

Happy New Season on 18:12 - Aug 22 with 1034 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Happy New Season on 12:23 - Aug 22 by 1949er

14th no cup runs

12th at the moment so working on it.
Happy New Season on 18:37 - Aug 22 with 992 viewsdavidab2202

Happy New Season on 13:42 - Aug 22 by D_Alien

If JM utilised the loan market, players he's signed will have to make way and that will inevitably cause a degree of unrest - it's human nature. Management is about winning, and the jury is still out on whether JM has what it takes to manage a squad in a way that can accommodate better players whilst keeping those left out on board

In his selections at York, perhaps there was an element of that involved, i.e. "it's your turn tonight". if it was intended as a learning curve to see players in the heat of a tough encounter, fair enough. But for the team to gel (as someone else mentioned) there needs to be consistency

It's been said before, but... we shall see

Whilst your suggestion that contracted players would not be happy to be replaced by loan players is perhaps the case , there should be an acceptance that the squad still needs new faces and would the same players be happy to be replaced by someone arriving on a 2 year contract who is deemed to be more what is needed. What any player has to do is knuckle down ,train to the best of their ability so it becomes harder for the Manager to leave them out of the team.
Happy New Season on 19:07 - Aug 22 with 905 viewsD_Alien

Happy New Season on 18:37 - Aug 22 by davidab2202

Whilst your suggestion that contracted players would not be happy to be replaced by loan players is perhaps the case , there should be an acceptance that the squad still needs new faces and would the same players be happy to be replaced by someone arriving on a 2 year contract who is deemed to be more what is needed. What any player has to do is knuckle down ,train to the best of their ability so it becomes harder for the Manager to leave them out of the team.

Completely agree. The point i'm making is whether JM has the ability to manage a larger squad of mixed abilities whilst keeping them all motivated

If you've just signed on a two-year deal having been sold the prospect of first team football, to then find yourself down the pecking order behind a loanee is something JM has to be very astute to manage

Last season's squad was threadbare, less so now, so JM is on a learning curve with results the ultimate arbiter of success. All that nonsense we heard from "sources" last season about him being a 'top class coach' was just premature waffle

Now, we'll start to find out

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024