Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Non Standard Construction 14:30 - Aug 7 with 1342 viewsRangersDave

Hi chaps,

The other half is thinking of us moving, and has come across a nice semi detatched 3 bedroom, which is described as 'non standard construction'. This to me means 'pre fab' or concrete.

Having a look at the house last night, and you can see the outline of vertical panels about 2-3 foot wide and 5-6 foot tall. There is a visible render line slightly raised from each panel join that gives the game away more so.

Anyone have any experience on these, or know of problems etc (i already know i will need a full structural survey, of the building).

Cheers and thanks in advance.
Dave

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

Non Standard Construction on 15:04 - Aug 7 with 1252 viewsSonofpugwash

Could be Mundic.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mundic

Best chop the house down and start again.

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

Non Standard Construction on 15:22 - Aug 7 with 1188 viewsWokingR

It might also be worth looking into whether the cost of insuring it is prohibitive too. With a standard home insurance previously costing around £300 - £400 price increases are already making the average £500 - £600 this year.
If you throw non-standard construction into the equation you could very easily be looking at over £1,000 a year just to insure the thing.
Non Standard Construction on 15:37 - Aug 7 with 1133 viewsNorthernr

My first house in Whetstone was one of these. Wimpy No Fines concrete structure, old MOD property. Got it mortgaged easy enough. Drop me a DM and I'll help as much as I can.
Non Standard Construction on 15:40 - Aug 7 with 1118 viewsQPR_Jim

To fully understand the risks you'll need to know what system it is.

If you search BRE non-traditional housing in the UK you should be able to get a document that has some history to it. There may also be photos of similar looking houses that say who the manufacturer was. Once you know that you can assess the risks and should be able to look out for any signs of recurring defects with the specific type of structure.
Non Standard Construction on 16:00 - Aug 7 with 1061 viewsRangersDave

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies.

I did a quick search (should have done that first) and have found out is it of "Laing Easi-Form housing" vertical Concrete panel construction.

No idea of the year build but think its post WW2.

Best
Dave

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

Non Standard Construction on 16:02 - Aug 7 with 1049 viewsPlanetHonneywood

If the little voice tells you that there might be something akin to a rodent with a large tail present, then Dozzell the idea!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Non Standard Construction on 16:42 - Aug 7 with 927 viewsBoston

Have a concrete test carried out. If the lab is happy, you're ok.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Non Standard Construction on 18:52 - Aug 7 with 795 viewskensalriser

Check the EPC out too, it might not make pretty reading.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024