Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Doctors offered a pay rise by Govt 14:25 - Jul 29 with 2884 viewsonehunglow

22-5%
That enough for them

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Doctors offered a pay rise by Govt on 04:45 - Jul 31 with 667 viewsAnotherJohn

I always thought the junior doctors deserved a reasonable rise and a plan for some catching up over future years, but this seems excessive to me. The industrial action has undoubtedly cost lives, and I do not think previous cohorts would have gone down that path. The calling of a strike during the election campaign was a step too far and lost my support. One must remember that virtually all the juniors who plead poverty will do very nicely as GPs, consultants or speciality doctors once their training is completed, especially with private work added. Even ST6-ST8s (similar to the old registrar grade) on £63, 152 plus allowances at present, will be in a different world from most on here with the 22% added. In a year or two that will be much more for those who become consultants. Do they deserve a settlement that is so much better than others? Obviously ending the strike has a major political benefit.

Current (old) pay scales here:

https://www.bma.org.uk/media/sfngdzmc/pay-and-conditions-circular-md-4-2023-fina
Doctors offered a pay rise by Govt on 10:50 - Aug 1 with 562 viewsAnotherJohn

GPs (in England) wading in now by seeking their piece of the pie. I doubt that Wales will be far behind.
Doctors offered a pay rise by Govt on 11:44 - Aug 1 with 531 viewsBoundy

Doctors offered a pay rise by Govt on 10:50 - Aug 1 by AnotherJohn

GPs (in England) wading in now by seeking their piece of the pie. I doubt that Wales will be far behind.

Aren't they on 120k per annum + incentives from pharmaceutical companies?

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Doctors offered a pay rise by Govt on 11:51 - Aug 1 with 527 viewsShiningPorth

Doctors offered a pay rise by Govt on 11:44 - Aug 1 by Boundy

Aren't they on 120k per annum + incentives from pharmaceutical companies?

More like £60-100k for most. Incentives long gone, it's not the 1980s now. £120k would be a Senior Consultant, though private work can add £50k.

Remember each quack costs the taxpayer over £250,000 to train.
Doctors offered a pay rise by Govt on 12:40 - Aug 1 with 488 viewsGwyn737

Doctors offered a pay rise by Govt on 11:51 - Aug 1 by ShiningPorth

More like £60-100k for most. Incentives long gone, it's not the 1980s now. £120k would be a Senior Consultant, though private work can add £50k.

All the more reason for fair remuneration. We don’t want these experts going abroad.
Doctors offered a pay rise by Govt on 12:41 - Aug 1 with 488 viewsAnotherJohn

Interestingly, GP pay varies slightly between the 4 home countries.

https://www.gpworld.co.uk/news/a-guide-to-gp-salary-and-pay-in-the-uk-2024/16/

A recent GMC survey found that about 45% of GPs work less than full time, which may pull the average income down a little.
Doctors offered a pay rise by Govt on 13:11 - Aug 1 with 465 viewstrampie

Doctors offered a pay rise by Govt on 12:40 - Aug 1 by Gwyn737

All the more reason for fair remuneration. We don’t want these experts going abroad.

Speak for yourself Gwyn, if any of them want to go abroad chasing more and more money they can go as far as I'm concerned, we shouldn't be blackmailed, there is only so much money in the pot, there are other groups of workers who earn far less and deserve a lick of the lolly.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Doctors offered a pay rise by Govt on 17:25 - Aug 1 with 423 viewsShiningPorth

Doctors offered a pay rise by Govt on 12:41 - Aug 1 by AnotherJohn

Interestingly, GP pay varies slightly between the 4 home countries.

https://www.gpworld.co.uk/news/a-guide-to-gp-salary-and-pay-in-the-uk-2024/16/

A recent GMC survey found that about 45% of GPs work less than full time, which may pull the average income down a little.

Indeed this is the case-lots of female GPs (including my cousin) work 0.4-0.6 FTE, though she does a day in hospital respiratory clinic on top of 2.5 days as a GP. Same with vets and dentists-many work around family life
Login to get fewer ads

Doctors offered a pay rise by Govt on 18:19 - Aug 1 with 387 viewsonehunglow

Doctors offered a pay rise by Govt on 04:45 - Jul 31 by AnotherJohn

I always thought the junior doctors deserved a reasonable rise and a plan for some catching up over future years, but this seems excessive to me. The industrial action has undoubtedly cost lives, and I do not think previous cohorts would have gone down that path. The calling of a strike during the election campaign was a step too far and lost my support. One must remember that virtually all the juniors who plead poverty will do very nicely as GPs, consultants or speciality doctors once their training is completed, especially with private work added. Even ST6-ST8s (similar to the old registrar grade) on £63, 152 plus allowances at present, will be in a different world from most on here with the 22% added. In a year or two that will be much more for those who become consultants. Do they deserve a settlement that is so much better than others? Obviously ending the strike has a major political benefit.

Current (old) pay scales here:

https://www.bma.org.uk/media/sfngdzmc/pay-and-conditions-circular-md-4-2023-fina

Police not allowed to strike
Should be the case with doctors too.

Doctors offered a pay rise by Govt on 18:21 - Aug 1 with 378 viewsWhiterockin

Doctors offered a pay rise by Govt on 18:19 - Aug 1 by onehunglow

Police not allowed to strike
Should be the case with doctors too.

If the police went on strike they would get more than the junior doctors.
Doctors offered a pay rise by Govt on 18:28 - Aug 1 with 356 viewsonehunglow

Doctors offered a pay rise by Govt on 18:21 - Aug 1 by Whiterockin

If the police went on strike they would get more than the junior doctors.

Shouldn’t be compared
Teresa May said police weren’t a special case
The fact they can’t strike alone makes them special

Doctors offered a pay rise by Govt on 18:48 - Aug 1 with 340 viewsmajorraglan

Doctors offered a pay rise by Govt on 11:51 - Aug 1 by ShiningPorth

Average GP pay as of April this year is £82k, some earn less some earn more.
Doctors offered a pay rise by Govt on 18:57 - Aug 1 with 318 viewsmajorraglan

Doctors offered a pay rise by Govt on 18:28 - Aug 1 by onehunglow

Shouldn’t be compared
Teresa May said police weren’t a special case
The fact they can’t strike alone makes them special

100% agree. If you’re going to take away people’s rights to withdraw their labour such as the police, then they have to have safeguards put in place which will provide them with protection and redress. Theresa May ignored a recommendation from the Police Pay Review group back in the day and imposed her own pay rise on them which was something like a 1% and well below the recommendation. That in my opinion is outrageous.
Doctors offered a pay rise by Govt on 15:03 - Aug 3 with 195 viewsSullutaCreturned

Doctors offered a pay rise by Govt on 18:57 - Aug 1 by majorraglan

100% agree. If you’re going to take away people’s rights to withdraw their labour such as the police, then they have to have safeguards put in place which will provide them with protection and redress. Theresa May ignored a recommendation from the Police Pay Review group back in the day and imposed her own pay rise on them which was something like a 1% and well below the recommendation. That in my opinion is outrageous.

Yeah, when do politicians ignore the recommendation of an independent pay body when it's MP's pay?

They're all hypocrites.
Doctors offered a pay rise by Govt on 16:22 - Aug 3 with 158 viewsonehunglow

Doctors offered a pay rise by Govt on 18:57 - Aug 1 by majorraglan

It has left a festering sore in the police service
It's why now police won't go beyond the call of duty like we used to

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024