Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Decent Medieval youtube channel I found. 08:32 - Aug 11 with 3726 viewsMetallica_Hoop

If you get a bit bored at luncheon.

'MedievalMadness'

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Decent Medieval youtube channel I found. on 09:54 - Aug 11 with 3124 viewsdmm

Have you read The Light Ages by Seb Falk https://www.theguardian.com/books/2020/sep/25/the-light-ages-by-seb-falk-review-

I've not read it completely but found it fascinating nonetheless. It challenges many popular beliefs about the Medieval period, particularly around knowledge and scientific discovery.
Decent Medieval youtube channel I found. on 10:00 - Aug 11 with 3122 viewslightwaterhoop

There is a fantastic new book by Dan Jones on the Medieval/Middle Ages period called Powers and Thrones.It covers a huge expanse of time and is an enjoyable and very interesting read.
Decent Medieval youtube channel I found. on 10:39 - Aug 11 with 3084 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Thanks for the suggestions.

I have a bit of a reading back log at the moment but when I don't I'll check both out.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Decent Medieval youtube channel I found. on 11:01 - Aug 11 with 3031 viewsDannyPaddox

Best Medieval film:

Get yourself a flagon of mead and czecheth it out.
Decent Medieval youtube channel I found. on 11:04 - Aug 11 with 3022 viewsTacticalR

Decent Medieval youtube channel I found. on 09:54 - Aug 11 by dmm

Have you read The Light Ages by Seb Falk https://www.theguardian.com/books/2020/sep/25/the-light-ages-by-seb-falk-review-

I've not read it completely but found it fascinating nonetheless. It challenges many popular beliefs about the Medieval period, particularly around knowledge and scientific discovery.

A QPR pal recommended it to me, so it's on my reading list.

Air hostess clique

Decent Medieval youtube channel I found. on 11:31 - Aug 11 with 2993 viewsSonofpugwash

11 August 1315 — The Great Famine of Europe becomes so dire that even the king of England (Edward II) had difficulties buying bread for himself & his court.

There's not a lot of people know that.

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

Decent Medieval youtube channel I found. on 11:51 - Aug 11 with 2958 viewsDaBurgh

Hey Metallica, I get the impression you're a history buff. Found a channel a couple of weeks ago 'Voices from the past'. Full of first hand accounts from diaries and journals of soldiers, priests and the like from various times throughout history. At the moment listening to a reading from a priest's diary written during the first crusade. I'm sure you'll find plenty of stuff that will interest you.
Decent Medieval youtube channel I found. on 12:00 - Aug 11 with 2942 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Decent Medieval youtube channel I found. on 11:51 - Aug 11 by DaBurgh

Hey Metallica, I get the impression you're a history buff. Found a channel a couple of weeks ago 'Voices from the past'. Full of first hand accounts from diaries and journals of soldiers, priests and the like from various times throughout history. At the moment listening to a reading from a priest's diary written during the first crusade. I'm sure you'll find plenty of stuff that will interest you.

Those books are great. I have read a couple but notice there are quite a few now.
Login to get fewer ads

Decent Medieval youtube channel I found. on 12:51 - Aug 11 with 2893 viewsDannyPaddox

Most Medieval looking QPR player:

Brian ‘The Theign’ Williams
Decent Medieval youtube channel I found. on 15:06 - Aug 11 with 2809 viewsqpr_1968

great thread....

one of my favourite castles.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Decent Medieval youtube channel I found. on 15:22 - Aug 11 with 2777 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Decent Medieval youtube channel I found. on 15:06 - Aug 11 by qpr_1968

great thread....

one of my favourite castles.

During the lockdown driven by pure boredom I watched a few episodes of abandoned great castles on U Tube .It was filmed by 2 guys who had permission (I think ) but the stuff left around was incredible.Whole rooms filled with hanging paintings, rugs etc .I kept thinking how much is that worth and why is it just rotting away .It actually took away my enjoyment of the video thinking one set of china or pottery from the abandoned dining area could get me the new QPR away shirt
Decent Medieval youtube channel I found. on 16:37 - Aug 11 with 2749 viewsBoston

Back then the average life span for 'the rich' was 35, most of the population were lucky to make it to their late 20's.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Decent Medieval youtube channel I found. on 18:07 - Aug 11 with 2714 viewsdmm

Decent Medieval youtube channel I found. on 16:37 - Aug 11 by Boston

Back then the average life span for 'the rich' was 35, most of the population were lucky to make it to their late 20's.

I think you're at the absolute lower end of what historians think the life span in medieval England was. According to this site it was quite a bit higher https://www.sarahwoodbury.com/life-expectancy-in-the-middle-ages/
Decent Medieval youtube channel I found. on 00:51 - Aug 12 with 2611 viewsDannyPaddox

Getting big Roy of the Rovers vibes from the medieval French executioner’s look
[Post edited 12 Aug 2022 14:03]
Decent Medieval youtube channel I found. on 04:29 - Aug 12 with 2592 viewssmudgehoop

Decent Medieval youtube channel I found. on 11:01 - Aug 11 by DannyPaddox

Best Medieval film:

Get yourself a flagon of mead and czecheth it out.

Thanks for the recommendation, DannyP.

I've just watched this on YouTube and, as being a fan of black and white 1950s/1960s European films, I loved it.

Also just want to say that although I don't post much I read this forum daily and come here as much for the random threads like this as well as the Rangers stuff.

Having not been to a QPR match for over 10 years due to having a second stroke aged 35 (the first was at birth) I now have worsened paraylsis down the right hand side of my body and struggle with mobility.

I also now live miles away from HQ in Lincolnshire as it's far cheaper..

During my time of supporting the Rs my favourite experiences include the three years I had a season ticket during Holloway's first spell, listening to Nick and Andy on the comms and of course the ever present LFW community who keep me informed and entertained.

Thanks to you all.

C,mon you Rs

Decent Medieval youtube channel I found. on 05:11 - Aug 12 with 2581 viewslightwaterhoop

Decent Medieval youtube channel I found. on 04:29 - Aug 12 by smudgehoop

I've just watched this on YouTube and, as being a fan of black and white 1950s/1960s European films, I loved it.

Also just want to say that although I don't post much I read this forum daily and come here as much for the random threads like this as well as the Rangers stuff.

Having not been to a QPR match for over 10 years due to having a second stroke aged 35 (the first was at birth) I now have worsened paraylsis down the right hand side of my body and struggle with mobility.

During my time of supporting the Rs my favourite experiences include the three years I had a season ticket during Holloway's first spell, listening to Nick and Andy on the comms and of course the ever present LFW community who keep me informed and entertained.

Thanks to you all.

C,mon you Rs

Best of luck with your health mate and stay strong,I think this forum is pretty decent and worth a look at most days it was a big help to me during the lockdowns and i dont have the
issues you have.There is a community feel to it which most of us need now and again and its great just to be amongst Rangers supporters for a change.
[Post edited 12 Aug 2022 5:13]
Decent Medieval youtube channel I found. on 06:46 - Aug 12 with 2537 viewsdmm

Thanks to you all.

C,mon you Rs

Good on you for posting, smudgehoop. Dive in a bit more often and enjoy the fun!
Decent Medieval youtube channel I found. on 14:16 - Aug 12 with 2437 viewsDannyPaddox

Thanks to you all.

C,mon you Rs

Great to see you posting Smudge and glad you enjoyed Marketa Lazarova. I watch it every Christmas. I’d recommend Valley Of The Bees too. Same director. Same vibe.
Decent Medieval youtube channel I found. on 01:00 - Aug 14 with 2323 viewssmudgehoop

Decent Medieval youtube channel I found. on 06:46 - Aug 12 by dmm

Good on you for posting, smudgehoop. Dive in a bit more often and enjoy the fun!

Thanks DMM, Yes I'll make the effort to post more :)

Decent Medieval youtube channel I found. on 01:04 - Aug 14 with 2319 viewssmudgehoop

Decent Medieval youtube channel I found. on 14:16 - Aug 12 by DannyPaddox

Great to see you posting Smudge and glad you enjoyed Marketa Lazarova. I watch it every Christmas. I’d recommend Valley Of The Bees too. Same director. Same vibe.

Thanks for another recommendation DannyP, I'll definitely czech it out.

Decent Medieval youtube channel I found. on 04:59 - Aug 14 with 2290 viewssmudgehoop

Decent Medieval youtube channel I found. on 05:11 - Aug 12 by lightwaterhoop

Best of luck with your health mate and stay strong,I think this forum is pretty decent and worth a look at most days it was a big help to me during the lockdowns and i dont have the
issues you have.There is a community feel to it which most of us need now and again and its great just to be amongst Rangers supporters for a change.
[Post edited 12 Aug 2022 5:13]

Thanks for the kind words LWH. I agree about the lockdowns. Coming here on a daily basis during that period helped me as well.

Decent Medieval youtube channel I found. on 08:02 - Aug 14 with 2240 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Another history fan here and I've always loved learning about the places I've lived in.

One thing that is on my to do list upon retiringish, is a history O' level (or what ever they call them these days) and then an A' level. This was because when I had to choose my options at 14, the timetable didn't allow me to choose history .

Efforts at finding a study course thus far, and I've only been scratching at it, haven't revealed a course I'd like and it looked a tad pricey.

Anyone else sought to do such a thing got any advice/suggestions?

Moving to this part of France, I've become interested in the Cathars and Crusades, all of which merely serve to reinforce my view that 'religion' is a killer!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Decent Medieval youtube channel I found. on 08:06 - Aug 14 with 2237 viewsdmm

Decent Medieval youtube channel I found. on 08:02 - Aug 14 by PlanetHonneywood

Another history fan here and I've always loved learning about the places I've lived in.

One thing that is on my to do list upon retiringish, is a history O' level (or what ever they call them these days) and then an A' level. This was because when I had to choose my options at 14, the timetable didn't allow me to choose history .

Efforts at finding a study course thus far, and I've only been scratching at it, haven't revealed a course I'd like and it looked a tad pricey.

Moving to this part of France, I've become interested in the Cathars and Crusades, all of which merely serve to reinforce my view that 'religion' is a killer!

"...that 'religion' is a killer!" Blame Constantine.
Decent Medieval youtube channel I found. on 10:26 - Aug 14 with 2195 viewsMrSheen

Decent Medieval youtube channel I found. on 11:31 - Aug 11 by Sonofpugwash

11 August 1315 — The Great Famine of Europe becomes so dire that even the king of England (Edward II) had difficulties buying bread for himself & his court.

There's not a lot of people know that.

I started reading a book about the Vikings on holiday, and the author said there were two if not three massive volcanic eruptions in the mid-sixth century which darkened the skies and caused catastrophic famine for three years, up to half of the European population may have died. His thesis is that the post Roman period wasn’t that dark to start with but this shattered trade and cultural contacts and led to a loss of knowledge and technology. The creepy part is that though they think one eruption was in El Salvador they know nothing about the other one/two, it’s all surmised from tree rings/ice cores, etc. I had no idea about this and made me wonder about the fragility of energy reliance on solar power (as well as the obvious point about food).

On life expectancy, the main reason for the great improvement in the modern age is infant mortality. If you made it to five in earlier times, you had a good chance of a long life (provided you didn’t ever give birth).
Decent Medieval youtube channel I found. on 14:43 - Aug 14 with 2135 viewsMrSheen

Decent Medieval youtube channel I found. on 08:02 - Aug 14 by PlanetHonneywood

Not GCSE, but I did an online 10 week course on the Civil War with Oxford Continuing Education. About £300, I loved it, keep meaning to sign up for another. Could suit you in France.

https://www.conted.ox.ac.uk/about/history-including-local-and-social-history
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024