Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Positives 08:34 - Aug 10 with 5064 viewsHunterhoop

They warrant some focus.

Roberts, to my eye at least, looked excellent last night. Looked a class above in terms of first touch, and positioning. He wanted the ball, turned sharply and drove with it. Lovely strike to. Needs to play if fit. He’s a better quality of footballer than most in our squad.

Armstrong. There is no need to hold this kid back. To all intents and purposes, he’s not a kid. He’s built like a fully grown athlete, he has pace to burn, he seems to have no fear. He scared the Charlton defence. His technical ability may not be there yet, but he gives us an X factor that, with our budget and resources, we shouldn’t be afraid to use. He won’t come off or play well every week; I’m not sure he has the technical skills (yet) to ensure a consistent level of performance, so the crowd need to stay with him. But the support he received yesterday was unlike anything I’ve seen/heard for a young player who’s not played for the first team in competitive football yet. We might have a very good one here. Right time. Right place.

Shodipo. Okay, far from perfect, and end product is still missing, but he played well. He beat his man on the in side and outside. He got to the byline. He’s not a starter at this level, but as an option off the bench, he offers us something. His pace, along with the two above meant we suddenly played with genuine pace going forward. We could run in behind and play it through/over the top from deep OR we could go short, and all three could turn and drive with it. That is much harder to defend than knowing everything is going short.

Sam Field. Defensively still had another excellent game (not helped by no one else in the front 6 making a tackle in the first half. And it was nice to see it was him who played the first through ball (along the deck) into the channel for Armstrong to race on to and win a corner. I’m not sure that was a ball Chair or Johansen would play given how conservative they are.

Dickie and Dunne. I think both are playing well. They’ve been under a fair bit of pressure in the last two matches, without the 3rd centre half, and they’ve stood up well to it. Dunne is back to winning most things in the air, and Dickie seems to be stepping out of defence more and driving forward.

The squad is light, even at full strength, and certainly now. But there are some bright spots and we can still field a competitive XI.

I think Beale is gradually beginning to work out who is playing in line with what he’s asking them and who isn’t. I think Sunderland is a game to experiment a little with. It’s not a bonus game. We should still be aiming to win, but 20 mins up to the goal showed us we can play a different style to the last year.

There are enough threads on the “negatives” so I’ll leave it there.
Positives on 08:55 - Aug 10 with 3671 viewsDoudou87

Ha, took me 5 mins longer this morning to feel a bit more positive!

Couldn’t agree more.

Poll: Preferred rumoured CB

Positives on 08:59 - Aug 10 with 3616 viewsstainrods_elbow

Although my own post-Charlton post had a real snarl about it, yours is intelligently considered, gives a generous reading, and provides some compassionate balance. Shodipo definitely blew warm and (very) cold, but he and Armstrong gave us something different going forwards, and Beale hopefully feels he has it to work with there, as did Tyler Roberts, who, if he stays fit, should be a cut above at this level. So, lots to worry about, especially with the upsetting and ludicrous injury situation, but also no grounds whatsoeverfor throwing the towel in this weekend. As Beale says, at a minimum, the players have to stand up (those who can right now!) and play like men for 90 minutes. We go there to win.
[Post edited 10 Aug 2022 9:19]

Poll: How many points will we manage from our first 5 games with this squad?

Positives on 09:12 - Aug 10 with 3596 viewsMyke

Great post Hunter. It seems to be easier to focus on the negatives, so well done on bringing a bit of balance.
I am conflicted with regard to Sinclair Armstrong. I still feel he would benefit best from at least half a season at a league one team, playing regularly and learning his trade, we have seen the advantages of this with others, most noticeably Eze and Chair. That may still happen of course, with a couple of weeks of the window still to go, I expect more movement in and out, especially up front.
But with the 5 subs thing and our already paper-thing squad being hit by injuries so soon, it may well be best if he stays. He will probably get a good deal of game time as an impact sub and he is being coached and shaped by the people who he already knows and trusts. We probably need to get him on a longer contract as soon as possible.
Positives on 09:22 - Aug 10 with 3550 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

We may be out of the Carabou Cup but it’ll make winning the league and FA cup all the more special.

You Rrrrr’s!

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Positives on 09:24 - Aug 10 with 3529 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Positives on 08:59 - Aug 10 by stainrods_elbow

Although my own post-Charlton post had a real snarl about it, yours is intelligently considered, gives a generous reading, and provides some compassionate balance. Shodipo definitely blew warm and (very) cold, but he and Armstrong gave us something different going forwards, and Beale hopefully feels he has it to work with there, as did Tyler Roberts, who, if he stays fit, should be a cut above at this level. So, lots to worry about, especially with the upsetting and ludicrous injury situation, but also no grounds whatsoeverfor throwing the towel in this weekend. As Beale says, at a minimum, the players have to stand up (those who can right now!) and play like men for 90 minutes. We go there to win.
[Post edited 10 Aug 2022 9:19]

I agree - they're a newly promoted side. Need to forget they're a massive club with a huge support; they've been down in League 1 for a few seasons.

However, seeing as that starting line-up failed to impose itself on a League 1 team with the quietest crowd since the annual Trappist Monk Sponsored Silence, I have my doubts.
Positives on 09:26 - Aug 10 with 3505 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Seeing Sinclair last night, I did wonder why on earth he hadn't been given a chance towards the end of last season. Yes, he's raw, but the shift in energy when those three came on really was something.
Positives on 09:36 - Aug 10 with 3437 viewsTonto

that is the most positive post form Stainrod's elbow Ive read. has someone hacked his account?

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: How was the transfer window for you?

Positives on 09:43 - Aug 10 with 3386 viewsMalintabuk

Positives on 09:26 - Aug 10 by Wegerles_Stairs

Seeing Sinclair last night, I did wonder why on earth he hadn't been given a chance towards the end of last season. Yes, he's raw, but the shift in energy when those three came on really was something.

Not sure if it's an expectation thing with Armstrong.... in that we are so desperate to see the lad that we are kidding ourselves that he may just be the real deal.......but
Everytime he touched the ball you were on edge he as that rare ability it seems to get a crowd excited. He is far from the real deal.... but he is exciting.... powerful.... direct and bloody quick
I don't want to over kill the lad but he is a breath of fresh air.... he can't and shouldn't play week in week out.... but it would be wonderful to see a raw talent like that being used
Login to get fewer ads

Positives on 09:44 - Aug 10 with 3379 viewsted_hendrix

Very little in the way of positives from last night other than Roberts introduction to the game, I couldn't help but notice how he played the game with a grin on his face, also he made an OTT tackle on one of the Charlton players that probably warranted a booking and whilst he was getting a warning from the ref he was still grinning, that tackle reminded me of the Leeds team of old, the lad can play that's obvious.
Armstrong was like a breath of fresh air during a heatwave.
That's all I've got really.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Positives on 09:44 - Aug 10 with 3370 viewsrobith

Norwich and Preston were the only championship teams not knocked out last night
Positives on 09:47 - Aug 10 with 3351 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

We’ve avoided a potential trip to Peterborough.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Positives on 09:52 - Aug 10 with 3312 viewsdaveB

Great post Hunter

Few thoughts on last night, was my first time seeing the team live this season.
Overall thought it was a very similar performance to the Orient game last year but this time we lost on penalties.

Our play out from the back was really slow and laboured all night, mostly due to a lack of options. Dickie kept screaming at Thomas and Admoah to make a run inside but they never did so he kept having to go to Dozzell who just gave it back to Dickie every time, was frustrating to watch. Diengs distribution was poor as well, have both full backs some poor high balls to deal with which ended up with us in trouble.

Always interesting in these games to see players who have been given a chance and it’s kind of make or break for them. I thought Thomas was his usual Ok self but did nowhere near enough to warrant regular football, difference between him and Tyler Roberts was huge. Dozzell as well neat and tidy on the ball but plays it safe too often for me, can get better but whenever he needs to put a ball in the box or have a shot he seems to back away from it, seems more mental problem than ability one.

Hamalainen was the first time I’ve seen him live for about 4 years, I’ll be honest I didn’t notice him much, he was pretty average all game but seems to have sparked anger from a lot of fans. I’m struggling to see it with him, don’t think he is very good but equally don’t get why he was singled out by so many. I was far more annoyed with Chair than Niko last night, Chair choose the wrong option so many times, again like Thomas the difference between him and Roberts was huge and that’s worrying for someone who is a key player for us. He's been like this for quite a while as well.

My main annoyance came from when we went 1-0 up and like we see every time with QPR in the last 2 years rather than try and add a second goal we just kill the game and try our best not to score. We got in so many good positions in that last 10 minutes but wanted to piss about and waste time, always at 1-0 the losing team will get a chance or a corner during injury time so just kill the bloody game off. It’s no wonder we so rarely win by more than 1 goal. Once they scored we attacked again and almost scored.

I want to end with a positive though as I agree with Hunter the performances of Armstrong and Roberts were both exciting. Shodipo unlucky not to nick a winner at the end, something to work with there. Armstrong just looks like he’s ready, lots to improve on and very raw but that one turn of pace when he won a corner, they were terrified of him after that. Seeing him now you have to say fans last year had a point and he might have offered something from the bench for the run in when we had no else. That all felt like Warburton trying to make a point than picking the best players same as when he picked 2 keepers on the bench at Swansea rather than put a kid on the bench. Armstrongs a long way from being the finished article but certainly has something about him, hope we see a lot more of him.
Positives on 10:03 - Aug 10 with 3250 viewsstevec

Still haven’t seen Armstrong but if he’s got pace and power and able to stay fit, get him out there.

Sick to death of those who can’t handle a 90 minutes. Look back at our successful years and it’s largely down to having durable players who don’t fall apart on a regular basis.
Positives on 10:06 - Aug 10 with 3248 viewsmonners1969

Agree with this

Chair willock and Eze all blossomed and improved with games under the belt

I think Armstrong definitely and maybe shodipo and drewe will get better the more they play

And we’ll need them and kakay and probably dozzell throughout the season

Hoping beale will improve the whole squad by coaching

At best we are getting 2 more signings and a LB is key for me
Maybe a striker on loan?
Positives on 10:13 - Aug 10 with 3199 viewsNorthernr

Very pleased with Armstrong and Roberts last night. Enough pissing about, let's just go for their goal with some fcking pace and power and purpose shall we? What a difference that made. Bolox to your setting and moving through the thirds, it's a League One team, let's go this way.
Positives on 10:33 - Aug 10 with 3099 viewsbosh67

Positives on 10:13 - Aug 10 by Northernr

Very pleased with Armstrong and Roberts last night. Enough pissing about, let's just go for their goal with some fcking pace and power and purpose shall we? What a difference that made. Bolox to your setting and moving through the thirds, it's a League One team, let's go this way.

Yup. Armstrong is a player with a lot of pace and an unpredictability that defences hate. Roberts is just a very elegant player. I have seen him playing for Leeds in the past and he has that Wegerle movement and style about him. Hugely comfortable with the ball at his feet.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Positives on 10:44 - Aug 10 with 3039 viewssparkey

Absolutely ridiculous thing for me to say for obvious reasons, but Armstrong reminded me of Haaland yesterday. Big, powerful, fast, and drives with purpose. Hopefully he can finish like him too
Positives on 10:47 - Aug 10 with 3006 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Positives on 10:44 - Aug 10 by sparkey

Absolutely ridiculous thing for me to say for obvious reasons, but Armstrong reminded me of Haaland yesterday. Big, powerful, fast, and drives with purpose. Hopefully he can finish like him too

He’s been retired for 9 years to be fair and was never the same after the Keane tackle.
Positives on 11:00 - Aug 10 with 2913 viewsdaveB

Positives on 10:44 - Aug 10 by sparkey

I've not been this excited about a forward since the days of Angelo Balanta and Antiono German who I thought would both be superstars so I'm playing it cool with Sinclair but blimey he looked good
Positives on 11:41 - Aug 10 with 2786 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Agree 100% about Armstrong and Roberts.

Roberts is far more polished, and two-sided. Armstrong needs a lot of work but his mentality is excellent so he should improve with coaching and games.

Both are impressive in their own way.

I also thought that Dickie and Dunne were impressive last night. Looking back - I didn't give Field enough credit either.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Positives on 15:16 - Aug 10 with 2482 viewskensalriser

Goodness a thread where pretty much everyone is in agreement? I am as well, I thought Roberts and Armstrong both looked the part in their own ways and I suspect they will go on to be important players for us this season. Armstrong needs more minutes and Beale has to work out the optimum way to do that. Last night strengthened my feeling that Roberts was signed primarily as a forward.

Pissballing about after the goal really annoyed me too. Not on 83 mins when there will still be ten or more to play. Game was there for the taking and we should have gone for the kill.
[Post edited 10 Aug 2022 15:18]

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Positives on 16:25 - Aug 10 with 2354 viewsbenhurst

Not much has been said about him but I thought Drewe was pretty good when he came on
Positives on 16:33 - Aug 10 with 2300 viewsLogman

Beale says in his interview that Armstrong still needs to work on aspects of his game so, despite all the fanfare, it could be that he gets to continue to do that largely for the U.21's and goes after Dykes and Bonne in the first team.
Positives on 16:41 - Aug 10 with 2261 viewsEmpireStateRanger

Dickie was, once again, excellent. I know he may not have the pace to be a top PL defender but he's certainly excellent for our level. Continues to get better with the ball at his feet, too.

Obviously Roberts and Armstrong showed a lot last night. What was most impressive was that they seemed to play well off one another. Can't imagine they've spent a lot of time playing together.
Positives on 17:05 - Aug 10 with 2218 viewsBklynRanger

IIRC Armstrong's efforts led to the goal - he was closing them down at such speed it was causing Charlton to either give it away or play rushed passes. Made a big difference and happened again with a misplaced pass out of defence for the goal.

The confidence on him is something to see though - very first effort he drove forward with such pace and power. There's that idea of rising to the occasion so maybe we should just let him get on with rising to it?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024